Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [AGKII - Compo Game] Cult of Zog [Redux]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2015 02:36 Edited at: 24th Jul 2015 02:37
Cult of Zog

About half a year ago, if anyone remembers, I started a mini-game called Cult of Zog for the January Game thing jam. I never got around to finishing the main mechanics and so the game has been put on the back burner.

Here's some shots of the original game:

Now I'm back and i'm starting completely from scratch for the 2015 Indie Game Making Contest!

I have about three weeks to build a whole new game, based on the theme "Growing". I'm dropping all my other projects and working like crazy. Here's some of the new redesigns!

Good luck to everyone entering! I plan to go all out for the next 180 hours!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 03:05 Edited at: 25th Jul 2015 04:05
Diving right into it! I always seem to work out graphics before code...

Got my first shader working, a vortex cloud shader! Screenshot in action, though it doesn't do it justice unless you see it in motion:

Huge improvement over the original which was a static image. I'm really shooting for awesome ambiance, next is to get some lightning strikes in there and some sound fx.

This is actually a major thing as it is seen in almost every scene in the game, including opening, main menu and levels as you gain influence, the vortex opens up to devour the cult followers! Muhahahahaha!!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 04:26
I really liked your graphics to begin with in the original thread, and you are looking even better with this one.
That cloud shader is very cool. (I haven't messed with shaders yet)

I just hope they don't pull the rug out from under you by saying that this was started before July 7th.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 04:42 Edited at: 25th Jul 2015 04:49
Oh I didn\'t! This is a complete new game, started completely from scratch, including graphics and code. Even the gameplay is a redesign. Think of it as I\'m using the original as a reference for this new game. and I just started yesterday lol.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 04:49 Edited at: 25th Jul 2015 04:50
I gotcha.
Nothing is the same but the name?

I really do like that cloud effect.
I would like to see it reversed, but don't waste time on that or my comments, because your deadline is growing near.
There is no way that I could get my game polished enough in the time that is left for the compo, so I doubt if I enter this one.
I didn't start until the 17th, and haven't had much free time to work on it.

Best of luck with this one Moondog.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 14:57 Edited at: 25th Jul 2015 17:40
Quote: "Nothing is the same but the name?"

The game shares similarities, but it's a completely new game started from scratch a couple days ago. I'm not even using my pre-made extension files, re-writing everything...last thing I want is to be disqualified by judges.

Edit: I have some crazy lightning shooting across the void now. Onto the next thing!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 21:25
That cloud vortex is fabulous!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 04:19 Edited at: 27th Jul 2015 04:20
Thanks! Have to be careful with it though, special occasions only lol. My LG G3 can barley hit 30fps. Luckily the game is made for PC.

Well spent the day animating and creating the opening cinematic, title, opening theme, sound fx...blahhhhhhh, long day! Here's a sneak peak at the opening cinematic:

Now onto creating the level selection screen!

Edit: ...one more of these first

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 10:14
I love the black and white art style. You should keep that theme for the title screen. That title screen looks too candy crush esque.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 18:10 Edited at: 27th Jul 2015 18:12
....but I spent 3hours making that logo lolololol, just kidding! It's all apart of my plan. Muhahahaha!

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 18:12
I feel bad. Sorry.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 00:02
Dang you TIMEEE!! Starting to shave off some features as I try to complete the game on time. Getting close. I'm attempting to submit two games, so cross fingers!

A better looking title, finally got a very nice custom font working with AGK2..

My second entry is entitle Mazeon....crunch time.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 05:36 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 06:22
So I don't take up the whole forum with my threads...here's a look at my second entry. Putting the finishing touches on my level editor.

The game is called Mazeon (maze + dungeon). It's a single screen, single life, survival roguelike game where you find yourself in a dark dungeon, that you must escape alive. You have a stamina and life bar. As you make your way through the dungeon maze, you must scavenge for food and water to survive..no matter the source.

The final game will have a unique lighting system, and be driven by high quality sound design. The game is a single, premade dungeon level. This will be the first in a number of Mazeon games. You actually play different 'captives' as you try and solve the dungeon. Basically you'll kill allot of 'captives' trying to solve the dungeon maze and may even have to resort to old school tactics and use graph paper & pencil.

Quick screen of the level editor (tile editor). Next is to get the sound/event editor in place and save/load functions.

Title Screen 1:

Title Screen 2:

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2015 03:50
Don't forget to turn this in!!!
Time is running out!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:52:50