Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [RELEASED] Box is Stupid

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 02:50 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2015 02:51
Box is Stupid for Android - download it here for free!

So I finally did it. It seems that this mobile device fad is here to stay. Here's my first published app for Android. It's nice and simple, the start of things to come.

Clicking boxes can't be that difficult, right? Well, try it and see for yourself.
It's really simple, honestly. Just wait for a box to appear. Then click on it, and let go before it disappears.
That's it. Really simple.
Oh, one more thing, you're not going to score very highly with quick clicks, you need a little more nerve than that. Besides, you don't want to be in our Chicken Hall of Fame, do you?

Online high scores, beat your friends to the top spot!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 03:05
Strange? Firefox won't display your images (I think they broke Firefox in the last updates).

And searching for the name "Box is Stupid" in PlayStore failed.

So, I entered this forum post URL in my Android browser. And was able to install the game.

You should allow more characters for the User name. The input box fits the full width, but only 9 characters were allowed.

Cool playing! My first score is 1645. Next was 6485. Fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 09:43 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2015 09:44
Congrats BatVink... With the amount of help and support you provide to us users of the forum, its nice to see you join the 'AGK Developers' club

This is a fun little app, I've clearly got no chance of getting anywhere near the top 10... There are some amazing scores on there!

I do have a couple potential issues, firstly I think there *may* be an issue with the multi touch, when things start picking up and there are multiple squares, if I use a second touch, it seems to not realise I have removed the first touch and thus kills me off for 'holding too long', even though I released my finger from the first square long ago... This may just be me, but it does seem to be consistent.

Also, when going to the 'User Name' screen for a second time, there are a couple overlap issues;

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 11:11
Thanks for the feedback

Quote: "Congrats BatVink... With the amount of help and support you provide to us users of the forum, its nice to see you join the 'AGK Developers' club"

Thanks I actually have many AppGameKit apps, but this is the first in the public domain. So I feel part of the club now

Quote: "I think there *may* be an issue with the multi touch"

Interesting, I have tested this thoroughly and it worked OK. You may be right and I will keep monitoring. What is a bit freaky is that when I watch other people play they swear blind they let go when I can see they didn't.

Quote: "Also, when going to the 'User Name' screen for a second time, there are a couple overlap issues;"

I just revisited this code after your comment and found the error. The weird thing is, it should have been misaligned the first time too!

Quote: "You should allow more characters for the User name. The input box fits the full width, but only 9 characters were allowed."

Agreed, I'll do it in the next version.

Quote: "searching for the name "Box is Stupid" in PlayStore failed"

Logged in as the developer, I don't see it either! I don't know the rules for appearing in the list, but it's my first published app and in it's first 24 hours. Maybe it will appear later.

Quote: "Firefox won't display your images (I think they broke Firefox in the last updates)"

If it helps solve your problem ,the images are linked from Google Play.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 14:43
I searched it last night and found it with no problem, but I was searching the Casual category to narrow the search down.

Fun game, as said in my feedback my screen on my phone is too small.
My tablet has died, so until I get another one, I'll have to wait to get on the scoreboard.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 14:49
Quote: "My tablet has died, so until I get another one, I'll have to wait to get on the scoreboard. "

I am right now changing the scoreboard to work like Fog does in his games. That is, there will only be one entry per player. I know you like to be number 1, so this is something for you to look forward to

TutCity is being rebuilt
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 16:53
Just uploaded changes already!

User name overlaps fixed
Longer names allowed
Scoreboard - you can only appear once
Help files only auto-display if you didn't manually view them previously

TutCity is being rebuilt
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 22:19
Thank you for the fixes so quickly.

I didn't know that I could use multi-touch, cool.

This is the kind of game that can become addictive.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 22:57
Quote: "This is the kind of game that can become addictive"

That is what I was hoping to hear
My daughters are addicted, but that is nothing unusual!
My wife is addicted and she doesn't play games
My nephew and niece played today (5 and 7), found it very easy to pick up, and kept playing for a good few minutes with the "Just one more go" attitude.

So it's looking promising. I have no major expectations for this game, so anything is a bonus. It's all part of the publishing learning experience for me. I was amazed that I could roll a fix out in just a couple of hours.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 15:43 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 15:44
Nice and simple, fun game.

- a full screen advert popped up during gameplay - the display froze with one box visible, then after I cleared the ad I had lost the game and something like 5 boxes were visible.

- 'click' is a word I associate with windows apps, not phone. I would change all references from 'click' to 'tap'

- your screenshots in the first post appear broken in Firefox, but load OK in Chrome. They are huge though, maybe thats why Firefox doesn't like 'em.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 16:04 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 16:12
Quote: "a full screen advert popped up during gameplay"

This is the most annoying issue I have. In AppGameKit, you request an Ad, and then it might not appear for up to 2 minutes. You have no control over this delay.
So to mitigate, I perform an Ad delete, irrespective of whether it was displayed or not. But this doesn't seem to stop the rogue ads appearing.
In theory, you only see an ad after every 3rd game, before the high scores are shown.

Quote: " 'click' is a word I associate with windows apps, not phone. I would change all references from 'click' to 'tap'"

I hadn't thought about that. Added to the to-do list

Quote: "your screenshots in the first post appear broken in Firefox"

I think it is because I have hotlinked them from Google Play.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 16:40
I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 with android version 2.3.5 and google play say that the app is not compatible with my phone. Doesn't AppGameKit support android version 2.3.5 anymore?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 16:47 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 16:47
I exported it for 3.2. There is still a 2.3.1 export available, but I wanted to be as up to date as AppGameKit will allow.

The Developer console showed me this, but I guess it only shows devices at the right Android release...

TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 18:34
I just updated my phone to 4.0.3 and now the game works. I guess it was about time for an update anyway.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 20:05
I think it was a wise move, the Developer console tells me that only 6.4% of casual games players are on 2.x.

4.0.3 and below represents about 18% of users.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2015 02:06 Edited at: 4th Aug 2015 02:38
Quote: " the Developer console tells me"

Wow, those numbers are a lot lower than I thought they would be. (just like my best score of 6246)

I have fallen victim to the ad too.

6499 (3 inch screen, I really need a tablet for this), it only seems to be the first ad that is off.
The ads after that have been appearing between rounds as they should.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 20:39
Somebody suggested to me (JLMoonDog I think) that I should also submit to Amazon.

I did it this morning, with a warning that it may take a few days to be approved. 6 hours later it is up and running! It's also a free process, cheaper than Google's $25 dev account fee.

The Amazon link is here, making it available to Kindle Fire and Blackberry devices...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DEVink-Box-is-Stupid/dp/B013LXA8UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1439054906

TutCity is being rebuilt
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 22:24
I've made a bit of a boob! I got a Mac and iPhone to release on the Apple store and then without thinking got rid of my Android tablet and Phone so unfortunately I have no Android device to test with, even my own apps!

Going to get a cheap Android tablet soon so will try and rate your app then, what an idiot I feel at the minute

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2015 22:49
Well I have managed to get another Android device, an Asus Memo 10 and finally downloaded and rated

This is a great game and works very well, the screen size is very good too with only little borders on each side as it virtually fills the screen.

I am not very good at it though, yet

Well done on your first released game and look forward to the next

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 13:46
Thanks

TutCity is being rebuilt

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:03:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:03:06