Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dark Fighter finished at last!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 22:08 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 19:24
We´ve finally finished Dark Fighter. A 2d fighting game influenced by the Street Fighter series. It´s got 6 playable characters each with their own level. It took a year to make (what can I say, we´re lazy)
uses over 240 images and more than 4600 lines of code.
As pictures speak a 1000 words here are some screen shots:

It´s avalable in 2 versions. One without the opening movie and one with. Because of some problem with DBC I´ve used the xvid codec instead of the divx codec. It still manages to reduce the image quality but at least it doesn´t show up green. If you don´t have the xvid codec then I suggest you download the no intro version.
The files are compressed with Winrar for minimum file size.
Don´t forget the readme file(though it basicly explains info on this post):http://usuarios.arsystel.com/rowsellclan/Readme.txt
With introneeds the xvidx codec)
http://usuarios.arsystel.com/rowsellclan/dark_fighter.rar
Without intro:
http://usuarios.arsystel.com/rowsellclan/df_nointro.rar
Controls
On the mode select menu use the cursor keys to move up and down and the space bar to select an option.
1 player
On the character select screen for single player use the cursor keys to move right or left and the spacebar to select your character.Once you´ve selected your character another cursor will appear. Use this cursor in the same way to select the AI´s character. On the level select screen use the cursors to move right or left and the spacebar to select a level.
2 player
On the character select screen for 2 player mode player one (red square) uses the cursor keys to more right or left and the spacebar to select a character. Once you´ve selected a character you can use the spacebar to de-select that character and choose another one. Player two(blue square) uses the pc´s default pad. (If you haven´t got a pad then you can´t play two player). Use the a button to select your character and a again to de-select. Once both players have selected their characters press the enter key to continue on to the level select screen. Player one chooses the level the same way as i player mode.
In game
Player one punches with the a button, kicks with the s button and launches a plasma ball thing with the d button. Player 2 uses the pad´s first, second and third buttons to do the same (On my pad they´re a,b and c) You can also duck, jump and jump forward/backwards. To win a match you must defeat your oponnent 2 times.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 00:01
dude thats awesome! One thing though, WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS START THE TITLE OF THEIR GAME WITH DARK? Any way the game looks cool, but I cant download it, I hate it when people use .rar pages, it never works on most peoples comps. Other than that the game looks pretty neat.

When I die...I want to be buried upside down...So thy critics can kiss my a$$...Oh yeah, Im not dying...
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 00:09
Quote: "WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS START THE TITLE OF THEIR GAME WITH DARK?"

I don´t know. It´s a bit like alot of the N64 games. Mario 64, wave race 64, Donkey Kong 64, Clay Fighters 63 1/3...
Quote: "but I cant download it"

Realy?. I can download it fine with Firefox and IE 6. Is it because you can´t open .rar files?

STE
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting screenshots.

But I tried to select the players with the spacebar and the game appeared to hang on me, it just sat there, not responding. Even though my winamp radio was playing happily.

I'm on Win98 and I assume you have disabled the system keys so I had to reboot my OS.

Oh dear.

STE ;¬!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 01:38
Umm. Very strange. I didn´t disable the system keys or the escape key even. Were you playing 2 player mode? If so did you press enter after selecting the 2 characters?

STE
Years of Service
User Offline
1 Player mode.

I was hitting spacebar, and probably Enter key too.

STE ;¬!
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 04:40
WOO HOO! Runtime error! I'm guessing this doesn't work with DX9.x.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 04:42 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 07:34
Right. Downloading now. Let´s see what´s going on here.
EDIT:The one with the intro works fine for me. I´ll try the other one tomorrow.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 09:19
no intro version worked great for me, no problems!

pretty funn too! The graphics were well drawn, and the controls were responsive. if you get stuck in a corner it's over quick though

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 11:57 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 11:59
The intro'd exe gave me a runtime error when I launched it. WOO HOO! Windows made that lovely exception error noise that I haven't heard since I had Windows 98.

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 18:39
Tapewormz: Do you have the xvidx codec installed? That might be the cause of the runtime error. I don´t know what else could be causing the error. I´ve got win xp sp1, direct x 9.0b and it works fine for me.
walaber: Yay. Someones managed to play it. I´m glad you like despite that cornering thing. I´ve tried to fix the problem but the game totaly ignored my code. There are 2 things which can prevent this but one of them is two big to add now(I planed it for the sequel) and the other one(making them invincible when falling down giving them a chance to fight back) I tried to put in but it didn´t work.
STE: Could you tell me which version you tried? I´m going to try them both anyway but we might be able to single one of the versions out.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Great looking spirtes, but the other art isn't nearly up to the quality of the sprites.

Got anime?I do.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 01:23
Quote: " Great looking spirtes, but the other art isn't nearly up to the quality of the sprites.
"

Umm. You´re right there. That´s one thing I´m going to take into account for the sequel.
Talking about the sequel. Does any one have any suggestions for the sequel? Stuff you liked in Dark Fighter and you want to see enhanced, stuff you hated and want to see erradicated.
Here´s what I´ve got planned for the sequel so far:

-Bigger levels which give more space.
-More animation frames.
-Fully time based animations. In Dark Fighter only the jumping animations are time based.
-Combos.
-Better Ai.
-Better collision. Not sure wheather I´ll add collision that takes in to account wheather you´ve hit their head or there arms and so on. Depends how I get on with DBPro´s collision.
-Smaller characters. We´ve just found out that the Capcom ones are half the size of the ones we´re using.
-The ability to pick if you want to use a keyboard, a pad or 2 pads.

Well that´s all I can think of. If anyone has a suggestion feel free to put it.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 01:43
I'd like a story mode.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Smomething like a weapon master mode too.
Better backgrounds, and somehow, make the sprites even better than they already are!

Got anime?I do.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 03:39
Quote: " I'd like a story mode."

Oops. That´s essential I should have put that on the list. We´re planning to have a story mode.We´re still not sure if we should have intros to each level though. Seems a bit much if we ever want to finish the game.
Quote: "weapon master mode"

If weapon master mode is what I think it is then it´ll be a great addition to the game. We could make un lockable levels and what not.
Quote: "Better backgrounds, and somehow, make the sprites even better"

The backgrounds will be better. I can guareenty that one. The sprite´s will be much better as the designer´s much more experienced, there´s going to be more animation frames and each character will be based on a real martial arts style.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The game looks great I'll try downloading it later. I am currently downloading 3Dmark03.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 09:47
Ah...Xvid...That's not a standard windows media component. You might want to mention that in a readme file or something. I'll get it and try.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 18:31
I couldn´t be bothered to make a readme file so I included it in my first post instead. I´ll edit it to make it clearer. I couldn´t use the normal divx codec as DBC didn´t display it properly.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 20:51
Quote: "I couldn´t be bothered to make a readme file so I included it in my first post instead."

HAHA! I totally missed that. I opened up my eyes and found it in your post.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The one with Xvidx took ages to show me the video, then it worked. When I selected the two people it crashed. When I tried it again I got an error that I never got the first time. Then it never worked again. Now I'm going to try the version without the demo.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 01:48
Smegging thing. Why are there so many problems. It works fine with my pc, all it needs is Directx7...I´m sorry for the problems caused. There´s not much I can do about them.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 04:17 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 04:26
I think that my computer can't handle you loading all of the graphics into the game in one go. They must fill up my computer. I only have 128meg of ram. You must have 256.

Edit: Actually I have 256...but only 128 shows up on boot up???

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 04:32 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 04:36
I´ve got 512 so I don´t notice. Though I did test the game on a p3 700 with 128 megs and it ran fine. Though that was an early version so I might have done something since that makes it more demanding. I can´t see how I could program it not to load all the images in one go. I´m stumped.

Edit: I´ve had that once. It means you mother board isn´t compatible with your ram. Eithen though you´ve got 256 the pc can only see 128. At least that´s what happened to me. The only way I fixed it was buying diferent ram.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, you only need the graphics for two fighters, and 1 level background.

I have 256. The 128 was my graphic card memory...lol! Plus I looked in Bios, and my graphic card was only being allowed to use 64meg of the 128. So I've fixed all that now.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 04:42
Quote: " Well, you only need the graphics for two fighters, and 1 level background"

Umm. But that´s all I load! Cool. More memory. Now you´ve got double video memory can you run the game? Please say yes.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Still didn't work. Maybe you are using a res that my computer doesn't like. It seems to get stuck in a low res when I reboot.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 05:20
Umm. Could be that. I´m using 640 by 480. I didn´t know setting a low res version could cause problems. In Dark Fighter 2 I´m using an eithen smaller res due to the size of the sprites so this might be more of a problem.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 22:56
MIR, maybe you just need to do some checking on start-up to smooth things out. Screen resolution, checks for any hardware effects used, that kind of thing.

Maybe there is a registry entry you could interrogate for the presence of xVid too?

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 00:37 Edited at: 25th Jul 2004 00:45
BatVink: The problem is it doesn´t use any effects what so ever. It should run on any 1ghz+ pc with ease and if a pc doesn´t support 640 480 how did they get directx 7 on there anyway? The idea about checking the registry for xvid is a good idea, though people tht have it, normaly know if they have it and people that don´t know don´t tend to have it.

I´ve decided to give everyone the source code due to the lack of 2d fighter examples, if you use it in a game give credit etc.
It would be better to use it as a guide of what NOT to do when programming a fighting game as I started this when I had very little knowledge of programming.

Edit: It didn´t paste properly. I´ll make a link to a text file instead. Does any one know if the saurce box has a line limit?

Edit2: Here´s the link: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/rowsellclan/dark_fighter_code.rtf

Jam on mother f**ker.
Guhill The friendly one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 08:26
I wanted to play that game SO BAD, but it WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD, can you please email it to me at "darkbasic52@aol.com"

Without hating, this world would be perfect.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 16:12
The game ran fine, but it took quite a while to get running, I had to close my Explorer window and Firefox and let it sit for a minute before a blank screen came up, then soon after the title screen. Some things to add are pages describing how to control the game, how to get the video to work, etc. etc.

The art was incredible though.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 19:07 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 19:26
Bear Crazy Donut Productions: I think I´ll make a helpfile which will contain the controls and download links to the souce code etc. I´ll up load it later today.
Guhill The Anti Hate: Sending it to you now. I´ll send you the version without the intro to be on the safe side.

Edit: The readme file is up. I´ve edited the first post but I´ll put the link here aswell:http://usuarios.arsystel.com/rowsellclan/Readme.txt

Jam on mother f**ker.
Rick B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 20:13
Ran great. Cool game. Very nice work.

It's not what you know. It's what you can prove!! =)
Guhill The friendly one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 13:32
Sorry, my internet life was delayed for weeks on a count of moving. I'm back now, and I didn't get your email.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 19:47
Right. I´m resending it now. I´ll take this opitunity to ask for any more sugestions for the sequal.
Thanks for everyone´s comments.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Guhill The friendly one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 07:28
still didn't get it, try a capital "D", if that doesn't work, then how 'bout uploading the file to your site in a zip file.

gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 09:47
to be truthful the graphics suck but looks like awsome gameplay

Dragonseige
Monzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 20:16
The game takes up huge amounts of system resources. The graphics are butt-ugly. And the music is poor quality.
And i never knew how to control the characters before i got tired of it and deleted the game.

Tiny Kitten Software -
http://monz.adsl.dk/tks/
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 10:08 Edited at: 13th Aug 2004 10:21
Quote: "I´m stumped."

Sounds like what the no-legged donkey said..

Quote: "The game takes up huge amounts of system resources"

Ok compare the amount of resources this game uses compared to another game made in dbpro please. Unless you were talking about RAM.. ..

Quote: "The graphics are butt-ugly"

How dare you say that? Do you think you could do any better? I didn't think so. IMO the graphics are fairly nice but whats important is the effort. When you play a game, its easier to enjoy it when you know a lot of effort has been put into making it. Don't be so disrespectfull.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 01:01
Guhill The Anti Hate: Umm I can´t upload a zip version as it would go over my 50 megs of space. As far as I know sending an attachment in capitals or no capitals doens´t make any diference. I could send it from somebody else´s pc incase it´s a problem my end if you want?

gothboy 101: lol. I´d never think any body would like the gameplay but hate the graphics. Can you tell me what you liked about the gameplay and hated about the graphics? I want Dark Fighter 2 to be as good as I can make it.

Monzi: Bah. That´s the main problem with having 6 bilion people on this planet. There´s always someone who won´t like the game. I didn´t think it would take up much resauces as it ran on a p3 700. You can say what you want about my programming abilities but no-one disses the sprites!

Mr Pet Rat: Thanks for the support! I´m using pngs this time round so it should use less ram, though there will be a lot more images so it might work out the same...

Jam on mother f**ker.
Guhill The friendly one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 08:29
Yeah, send it from another person's pc. I really wanna play this game. How come the download page doesn't work anyway? How come everytime I try to download it, the webpage says "504 Gateway Timeout There may be too many people accessing this page right now, try again later."?

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 09:31
Umm. Strange. Everytime I try it it runs very fast. I´ll send it tomorrow. I mean later today.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 17:46
Woah I didnt realise the EXE was 100MB. You should convert the images to gifs(using paintshop pro, not microsoft paint) and they'll take up waaay less space plus I don't think you'll lose any quality.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 19:11
Unfortuantly gifs do cause a quality loss. The image comes out patchy where the converter mixes colours to find the closest colour. Though I´ve discovered this wonderful thing called png. No quality loss what so ever and ruduces an image from 48kb to 5kb. I´m using those for the sequal.
Guhill The Anti Hate: I´m sending the game in a few mins.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
sw33t. reminds me of the street fighter games on the atari st

nice job

http://johnsgames.dbspot.com
Z0MB135 W1LL C0M3 T0 E4T Y0UR 3Y35!
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 15:38 Edited at: 26th Aug 2004 15:41
I downloaded and extracted the .rar file just fine, so thats ok. But when I ran it, it said runtime error 58. Im gonna try some more versions and be right back...
[edit] Nope, cant get it to run, oh well...

When it comes to programing, I'm on fire!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 20:40
Quote: "it said runtime error 58"

Sorry to hear that. I have no idea what the problem could be. I think I´ll do bug testing with people on the forum for the second one, though I like to do things in-house so to speak so I can surprize everyone when I release it.
Thanks for trying it.

A bargain at 900000€ second hand
Mr Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 02:13
Hey MIR, that was cool. I had a few laughs. It ran fin on my system. I won aganst the chansaw guy using Hilly (lol!) Then I fought the fat chick Fun with the fat dragonballz looking guy and got my a$$ kicked (literally)

Very colorful characters I'd have to say.

And thanks for sharing the source code. I wanted to know how to do the collisions for a fight game. Thanks for showing us the code.

IDIC (Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations)
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to come clear, Weapon Master is a mode invented in Soul Calubur II, it was pretty much a story, but it had rppg elements like exploring dungeons and purchasing new costumes and weapons from shops, it was also a way to unlock characters.

Got anime?I do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:19:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:19:09