Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Lemmings Demo + new site

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 20:38 Edited at: 27th Jul 2004 20:42
Hi again

At last, it's working, the new site is here:

http://avanmadisen.dbspot.com

Click on projects, then Lemmings and a link to the demo is there. I've checked it and this one works for me, my old geocities site will have a wrecking ball heading it's way soon.

Here's a direct link to the demo zip file itself:
http://avanmadisen.dbspot.com/demos/lemmings.zip

This demo is a compatibility demo, if anyone had problems getting V0.1 to work, try this one, I've changed the backdrop handling to be more 'old graphics card' friendly. I've also corrected a few things that were found in the last version. If you do have an old PC (say pre-Pentium 4 or maybe even pre-P3, I'd like to hear about how it runs.

For those who didn't see the last topic, here're the screen shots again, but linked to the new site:

Basically, this is Lemmings in DBPro, with improved graphics and animation with one or two upgrades to the gameplay. See the readme.txt file in the zip for more details.

Thanks

Avan

Not everything in life is as it seems...
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 22:24
----------BUG ALERT----------

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use the shift key to select lemmings walking in a certain direction, it will error out with a message saying something like "Array does not exist or array subscript out of bounds at line 1468".

The code for selecting lemmings in a specific direction was not giving any problems before because I was using a previous patch of DBPro. Patch 5.4 now returns errors when the program attempts to use an invalid array position.

This has been corrected in my source code and will be a part of what will be version 0.3.

Avan

Not everything in life is as it seems...
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 08:53
How did you get it to deform the terrain and still collide yet remain 2d? (2d is 3d)

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 09:21
cool

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:11
Hi all

New demo version is up for download with a few improvements and bug fixes. Including screen res selection at the beginning of the program.

Plus I've added a couple of new screen shots at different screen res.

Moonshine - Not sure what you mean, 2d is 3d?

Enjoy

Avan

My car bumper sticker says -
"If you can read this I can slam on my breaks an sue you!"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 02:43
Give em some weapons and diversify it for the TGC compo!

That's some great coding, it's so like the original it's eerie.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:14
Thanks Van B

I've tried my best to make it like the original and outside of the music and the level design it's pretty much there. The music won't be difficult to impliment, that's why I'm leaving it for now.

You know, I could take the map system and do a Worms remake for the Scorched Earth idea.

Avan

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 07:46
cool, I like the way to can only have lemmings dig through the red wall/floor part. now you just need to make a level editor and/or make some levels.

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 07:56
look really cool
will try it now

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 07:17
Thanks

Physics Coder - The red and blue areas are just a demo to show the feature of the map being either diggable or indestructable. I'm still ironing out the final few things and I want to make sure the actual game engine works properly before getting a map edittor working.

Freddix - I look forward to your comments.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for what you'd like to see in this game, game modes, extra actions, or anything you can think of, let me know. I'm open to ideas!

Avan

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 09:17 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 09:18
hey great demo

I loved lemmings and this demo does it justice; a few suggestions though

When the lemmings explode thier guts should fly out of them like the original.

There should be a fast forward button (and slow down button) to speed the whole game up (or down), not just how quick they get released from the trap door.

Maybe give the little crittors some new abilities, eg hand gliding, swim on water levels, plant or throw explosives to demolish walls?

anyways keep the good work up

pizzaman
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 05:51
Pizzaman - I'm still thinking about how to do the 'bits' effect to the exploding lemmings, there're a lot of ways I could do it but it should be in the next demo. The fast-forwards and slow-mo idea is nice but in truth I think it'll give the player too much of an edge and make the gameplay too easy at times. I like the hang-gliding idea, I'll have a think about that, but swimming I'll leave out and why throw explosives when you can just turn a lemming into a walking bomb?

Water was one of the main things I'd forgotten, thanks for reminding me.

One gameplay aspect I've added is variable fuse times for the bombers. In easy mode the fuse will be only 2-3 seconds, normal will have the original 5 seconds, but hard will have maybe as much as 9 seconds. Will make positioning the explosions without blockers very challenging.

As always, thanks.

Avan

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 00:42
Nice again . The lemming's guts didn't fly out in the original, must have been a later version.

I would like to know how you do the collision and landscape deformation. Do you do it with memblocks or point, or some other method?

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 02:37
I think a fast forward idea would be good, for impatient people who want to get the level over and done with, especially if there is one rogue lemming that has decided to walk right back to the beginning. Fast forward won't make the gameplay any easier, quite the opposite, but slow-mo would make the gameplay a lot easier, so I think it's a bad idea.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 06:07
Hi

I was actually thinking more about the slow-mo idea making things too easy, the fast-forward might be a good idea (especially considering the maps are so much larger) I will definately think about incorporating it.

Hamish - The collision data is stored in a memblock, one byte for each pixel, 0 means nothing is there, 1 means solid and 2 means that pixel is indestructable. The system does collision with that data, when it comes to deforming the landscape it's a simple matter of working out which pixels need to be changed, and change them on both the collision and the bitmap data. Be warned if you try this trick, I originally had one massive bitmap (2048 / 1024) and it didn't work on some older graphics cards. This version has 8 bitmaps at 512/512 and it took me a while to get it drawing the landscape seemlessly onto the screen.

I've had a rather sick idea about the 'guts' (as we seem to be calling them) flying out when a lemming explodes. What if I worked collision between those 'bits' and the scenery? Imagine what it'd look like if a lemming exploded inside a tunnel! That do you think?

Thanks again

Avan

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 08:14
hi

Glad you like one or two of my ideas , about the slow down button, what i meant to say was if you speed the game up, and find theres another obstacle to deel with, you would want to slow the game down back to its orignal speed (or just a little faster than the original speed if you can handle it).

I like how you've done the collision, quite ingeneous actually; and I especially like the guts idea, it would be good if you can implement it.

pizzaman
JokerZ
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:52
You could also have the 'Alien' lemming.
One of the lemmings goes Alien and starts to devour other lemmings..
keep it simple, just the little gutbuster Alien running around..

Would be different, fun and sick..

Everything happens for a reason
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 05:44
Pizzaman - Aaaah, now I get ya, sorry for the misunderstanding there. Oh yes, I'd definately make it possible to slow the game back down to normal after speeding up, that's common sense in my opinion.

Mister Mold Rat - You're not the only one, muwahaha!

JokerZ - Hmm, I can see how your idea would work but I don't think it'd be quite right for lemmings. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Avan

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 00:20 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 00:22
Update - New Demo

I've added particle handling and modified a few things, as well as adding the game speed control.

Here's a shot of a nuke with added particles, in action.

Also here's the link again to my lemmings page again where you can download the demo from.
http://avanmadisen.dbspot.com/lemmings.html

Please read the 'readme.txt' file for info about the new controls and what changes I've made.

The next version 'should' have the map generation system working as that's what I'm moving onto next, could take a while.

Enjoy

Avan

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 00:40
hi

Particles are looking great with no slowdown and the speed up is great too!

Just one or two problems though when in a faster mode you cant press any of the buttons except for the two buttons that control the rate of release of the lemmings; also you cant select any of the lemmings in the faster states.

One more suggestion (which I'm sure you were going to do anyway), the speed up modes should have their own buttons at the bottom of the screan.

Keep up the good work, as you may have noticed I'm watching this with great interest - I'm a huge lemmings fan and this feels true to the series

pizzaman
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 06:05
Hey Pizzaman

'True to the original' is something I set in stone when I started this and I'm trying my best to stick to that.

The fact you can't change selected action and select lemmings in fastfoward mode is deliberate, this is because I feel it's a bit unwieldy to try and control the lemmings at high speed. The speed up is only intended for when you can't be bothered to wait 3 minutes to 1 or 2 lemmings to made their way through the map. If you want to allocate a lemming with an action, go back to normal game mode. I'll make a note of this in the readme.txt file for the next version, so people know.

I've thought of doing the speed buttons, but it would mean re-writing a few things and creating the buttons so, at least for now, I'm not going to add them, if needed I'll add them later, onc I've got the map system working.

It's nice to know my work is getting some attention, thanks.

Avan

PS - What system specs are people trying this on? I'd like to know how this game runs on older systems, like Pentium 3 or 32mb-gfx-cards and alike, or even older maybe.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:55:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:55:45