Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Magic World Pro beta - testers required

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 21:27 Edited at: 15th Oct 2004 23:03
Magic World Pro beta is now available for download. It is hosted at DBspot, thanks to the generosity of Jimmy.

Please Note, there is no additional functionality in this release.

This is the conversion from Classic to Pro. Once stable, it will be released back in to the wild, with source code. This is hopefully the incentive you need to download, test and report bugs and issues. Please read the web page for current issues which you may be able to assist with.

Please report bugs here, I will update this thread on the fly, and summarise the changes in the original MW Pro thread once complete. Theoriginal thread is here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=37935&b=8

I already have several enhancements in development, which I will release as they become available, but after the initial full release of MW Pro.

download here:
<LINK REMOVED, DB Spot is gone >

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 22:30
Lookin Good BatVink

Quote: "I am aware that the "hand" and the 3D pointer are not in synchronisation. If anypone has studied the code and knows how to recalculate the coordinates for different screen resolutions, please let me know."

I had this issue with my Bounce editor just recently.

The way I got around it was that I knew exactly how far away the object should be from the screen, then used pick screen with that as the depth value to get the other two required positions

I'm not too sure how well that would go in MW though, as it's view port is at an angle.

What you might like to do is to have a dummy plain base, and use Pick Object, and get the x,y,z positions that were picked.

Aswell as that, you were saying about if someone else wanted to dev further, they would need BGUI to follow the code, well, I can give you code for Open/Save dialogue ( in DBP ) which is just a single function call to return the absolute path of the selected file, if you like?

Also, I had a colour picker set up at one stage in DBC code ( 'twas API also ) but I can't find it.

And, finally, I can show you how to calculate screen positions for the graphics irrelevant of resolution if you like? It's just a bit of tricky math that's needed is all ( that is, of course, if you haven't figured it out already )

Note that I am in no way trying to remove the need for BGUI and discourage people to buy it, I am just trying to make it easier for future 3rd party modifications.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 22:59
Thanks for the input Jess:

Quote: "What you might like to do is to have a dummy plain base, and use Pick Object, and get the x,y,z positions that were picked"

MW works slightly differently. When you are in the 3D window, there is a pointer that travels on the 3D surface. To be honest, I haven't looked too closely at this section, as it already works in pro. I don't know, for example, what it does when you have 2 matrices in the same place, at different y coordinates.

Quote: "I can give you code for Open/Save dialogue ( in DBP ) which is just a single function call to return the absolute path of the selected file, if you like?"

That would be good. That is all the code does anyway, I split it up when it comes back.

Quote: "Also, I had a colour picker set up at one stage in DBC code ( 'twas API also ) but I can't find it."

That's a pity. One issue I have is that there is no difference between selecting black, and cancelling the window. Also, you can't put the current colour into the colour picker as a starting point.

Quote: "I can show you how to calculate screen positions for the graphics irrelevant of resolution if you like?"

That would be fantastic. My maths is not the best. My main emphasis is on converting to Pro, and adding new functionality. This pointer/hand thing is simply an obstacle to me.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 07:11
Has all interest really dwindled that fast?

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 22:15 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 22:15
Ok, the email's sent with the code attached for the API calls

About the Colour picker, I could make up another example in DBP, but by the time I have time to do it, BGUIv2 will be out with the fixed functionality

I'm not too sure how to work out the position of the 3D pointer I'm afraid

When I said, "I can show you how to calculate screen positions for the graphics irrelevant of resolution if you like?"
I was refering to the math involved in placing the UI, such that for each screen res, it can always be dynamically calculated so that it is always at the bottom, or always to the right of the screen.
But, by the looks of it, with the ini file, you have already done this

Glad I could help

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 23:22
Cheers Jess. I never received the mail Do you want to try "steve at biglaugh.co.uk" instead?

Yes, the UI is dynamically placed. I had to change references to 28 hard coded values!

Jess, if you are interested in the source code, drop me a mail and I'll forward it to you. There doesn't seem to be any interest in helping out around here.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:13
Works well - nice and smooth

I can't make too many more comments as nothing has been added

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 06:17
Cheers, David. I'm just looking for plenty of people to give it a run to ensure there are no show-stopping issues. Looks like you had a non-event of a trial, which is good news for me

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 17:58
Steve,
At the moment, I don't have the time to look over the source, nor even help code any new functions

I am just at the end of my school days ( 4 to go ! ) then I have 3 weeks untill my final exams, which is study study study time.

By the time I'm done there, I'd say you'll already have released MWPro, and added your enhancements

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
Mr Tricks
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! I only just got your email from August Steve - my email has been screwed for over a month and I hadn't even realised I wasn't receiving some of it!

I'm really thrilled you're updating Magic World and I'll make sure I follow your progress from now on. I tried downloading the beta from the link in the top post in this thread, but there was no page there. Is there another download link somewhere?

Keep it up fellas - when you get a working beta I'd love to host it or link to it from the allseeingi site!

BTW: The mouse functions were a bit funny because of the fact that there was no Camera Pick function in DB classic. So you couldn't convert a 2D coord to 3D. So what I did was (if I remember correctly), by trial and error, use trigonometry and stuff to simulate where the mouse is pointing to. I don't know what feature set DBPro has so you might be able to do it with a lot less hassle!

BTW2: It was my first program so it's CHOCK full of bad programming habits! Sorry about that

Robin King
All Seeing i Software
www.robinking.com/allseeingi
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 22:23
Yeah i tried downloading too, i didn't realize this thread was from before dbspot went down, any chance of putting up another compiled beta? cause i wouldnt mind seeing if i coul dget a test going with my heroquest models.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 02:15
Greetings, Mr King! Although I can see it was a program from a newcomer, I'm rather impressed with the organisation nonetheless. It is heavily "functionalised" now, if there is such a word.

It was on DBspot, hence the missing download. I chose a bad time to make it public anyway, everyone is busy with the compo at the moment.

If you or Uberwigget want a copy, let me know if I can email it to you. My other webspace is for a commercial site and reaching it's bandwidth limit.

Robin, I'm glad you mentioned the 2D to 3D bit, I've hit a couple of problems here. The calculation works at 640 x 480, but doesn't translate to higher resolutions. I might try and replace it with a CAMERA PICK type function if I can work it out.

My latest version, which is being developed as and when I need something new for my Snake Compo entry, now includes Advanced Terrain importing, object groups, object naming and a few other "niceties" to make it more accessible when loading into a project. Hopefully I'll have a tidy version in November.

One more thing Robin...if you know when the reruns of The Bill and Casualty are on Sky, I'd be interested in watching them I'm a Bill/Casulaty addict , but I didn't know about you when they came around first time.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 09:38
lol the bill, british cop show yeah?

anyway my email is rwiggett@bigpond.net.au im pretty sure thats it. I'd liove to get a copy to test it out, I dont have db so it'd have to be a self running program, but i wouldnt mind testing out using my own objects too if i could.

code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 13:54
Yo i have dbpro and would like a copy email to jozify@hotmail.com and dont ask me why the email adress is spelt like that.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
HEY, IT ISN'T FAIR!
'MAGIC WORLD ONLINE' ITS MY GAME NAME ))
I HAVE CHOOSE IT FIRST BatVink !

DO U CAN CHANGE THE NAME OF YOUR PROJECT PLZ?

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5 secunds of your life!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
You do realize that there was a program called Magic World for DBC before you even joined, right?
BatVink is simply remaking it for DBP so the matrixes and what not will look much better.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 06:01
gogetaX, the original source for Magic World (http://www.robinking.com/allseeingi/magicworld.htm) is dated June 2001.

And it's not mine like Anime says, I'm just doing an update. Robin King is the man who needs credting.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, the program magic world?
i thout the game "magic world" ))
then its ok for me )

and this is the site for magic world online (it will be site)
www.magicworldonline.tk

=]

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5 secunds of your life!
IMAGE 02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 20:55
cant down load it :-(

IMAGE is EVERYTHING
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 23:01
Quote: "cant down load it :-("

No, that's because DBspot has gone

It's on hold until after the compo, after which I will release a whizzy version, if I can find a host somewhere.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 04:28
Feel free to upload it to http://www.omega-basic.com/db/

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 07:11
Cheers, JohnY, I might take you up on that later. Too busy right now, and my compo entry is driving the new functionality in Magic World.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Mr Tricks
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll wait until you can upload it somewhere until I download it and take a peek; my email tends to zap anything with attachments as I've picked up so many viruses in the past.

Yeah, it would be much better to have a Camera Pick type function. I don't know if DBPro includes that: DB didn't which explains the shoddy workaround. Camera Pick would be much more accurate, more flexible and simpler to implement.

I don't know when repeats of Casualty or The Bill are on! Although I just got a residuals payment for Casualty so it must have just been on UK Gold or something... still, bigger things to come I hope.

Good luck with your compo entry and with MWPro!

Robin King
All Seeing i Software
www.robinking.com/allseeingi
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
DBP has support for multiple cameras.
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 05:00
@Batvink:
Is the program bigger than 1MB? If not, you can attach it to your post for us.

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” -Gandalf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:48:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:48:08