Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TerrXGen (Terrain Texture Generator)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 09:02 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 23:22
Hi All,

I've been away from these forums for too long now (about a year I think), most of you probably [edit]don't[/edit] remember me but I was around since DBC 1.6

This is just a test for my new program TerrXGen, a terrain texture generator (very useful for the new advanced terrains). The idea is you have a heightmap for your terrain and four textures, TerrXGen reads the heightmap to blend the four textures together to form a relistic terrain texture.

In my example I have gone for a snowy mountain top, with rock, grass and sandstone.

At the moment you cannot change settings or anything like that its just a test to see if its worth continuing development on TerrXGen.

At the moment it is very limited,256x256 texture size...but im working on this, only tested with DBP 5.6

Here is the download (1.25MB)
http://www.delphiblue.com/TerrXGen.zip

Comments/suggestions/features you want welcome

Sleep...Whats that?
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see some screenies of the program before I download it so I can see the interface and what not.

Got anime?I do.
Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 16:53 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 16:54
This is a really cool tool. Nice work!
GamzMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 16:55
Sorry about that, was so tired last night I forgot to post a screen

Like I said it is very limited at the moment, no interface just the basic function of what this program does.

In the screen you can see the final texture (top right) is a blend of all four textures based on the heightmap. Heighest points snow, slightly below that rock, then grass and finally sandstone at the bottom.

Sleep...Whats that?
GamzMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 16:58
Quote: "This is a really cool tool. Nice work!"

Thanks Snipa Masta

Sleep...Whats that?
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:50
That looks pretty cool!

You just need a nice GUI and maybe a 3D view of what the terrain would look like.

GamzMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 19:59
Quote: "You just need a nice GUI and maybe a 3D view of what the terrain would look like."

I am working on the actual texture generation first, better blending, large final texture and support to manipulate the texture levels i.e set the texture (snow, grass etc) to effect a higher height range.

I will also add a preview window aswell (thx JohnY )

Sleep...Whats that?
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 21:51
Very nice, I just have a couple of questions:

1. Do we get to choose what texture is put at which height? (IE. If I wanted sandstone on top and snow on the bottom, i'd be able to choose that, correct?)

2. Will this have support for more than 4 textures?

This is pretty neat, games will just become more and more realistic.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
GamzMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 22:00 Edited at: 25th Sep 2004 22:12
Quote: "1. Do we get to choose what texture is put at which height? (IE. If I wanted sandstone on top and snow on the bottom, i'd be able to choose that, correct?)"

Of course, the textures I used were just for example

Quote: "2. Will this have support for more than 4 textures?"

Yes. It will have support for more or less than 4 textures, four textures (I feel) create a better looking texture map; although it does also depend on what textures you use

Forgot to mention, this is going to be a FREE tool for anyone to use, and maybe just maybe open source for DB users to develop it further!

Sleep...Whats that?
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2004 05:12 Edited at: 26th Sep 2004 05:15
very nice .. but heh call it teRXGen

Do you need a complete FPS,3rdPS engine ?? Or a collision command libary?? well here it is:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38869&b=6&p=0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:07:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:07:17