Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ballistica - Arcade Style Physics Action!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 03:25 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 09:29
For my first real DBPro project, I wanted something that was both stunning and fun to make. The result? Ballistica! This is a game that is similar to such titles as Super Monkey Ball and Marble Blast Gold. Basically, you must maneuver your ball through various levels to get to the end. Newton physics are nicely incorporated into the game, along with dynamic reflections and a Delta Time method. I already have lots of ideas on what to do for some of the levels, such as physics crates, moving objects, boost panels, and lots of other stuff to make gameplay real exciting.

So far, I've only done the design for one level (Probably will be the third level), but as you can see, it is coming along nicely. The physics are flawless and make the game feel professional. Here is a screenshot of the gameplay:

An early demo is also available. In the demo, you are given the choice of using real-time reflections (Recommended only for enthusiast PCs) or a static cube map for the ball. Use the mouse to aim the camera, and the W,S,A, and D keys move the ball, just like in a 3rd-person shooter. Space will reset the position of your ball, incase you want to try the run again (Testing purposes only). You can also hold the Shift key to see the debug strings (Not recommended as it lowers FPS). Here it is (WinRAR needed):

http://www.alpha-works.com/Ballistica.rar

I would love to see what you guys think of this. Please post any comments you have.

Update! There is now a working version of the download available. Use the link above to get it!

UNVIDIA GeFartFX 5600 Crud Edition
Featuring an unbeatable 0-1 FPS in 3DMark05!
If Return to Proxycon were a game, I would die before I saw the door open!
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 06:01
I got runtime error 506: Could not load image at line 32
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 06:31 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 09:29
I know that. The .exe doesn't work. There's a notice by the download link telling you that. I'm trying to find a way to get it to work without needing external media. Though the .CSM importer doesn't allow the .csm file to be inside the .exe and be loaded from there.

Edit: I think I'm onto something... give me a minute...

Edit #2: I'm getting somewhere, but not quite yet. I'll just post the demo now and worry about it later.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 18:35 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 18:37
Evil, real nice job!! Look forward to further demos.

It's actually nioe to see a polished demo that uses the .CSM plugin, and working with Newton. Well done.

Paul.

[EDIT] A suggestion, your course map is arranged so that the ball's starting position is at 0,0,0 in the Cartography Shop, if you build further courses which requires this position to change, use an Entity for representing the ball's player position (modify the light entity). You can then use the CSM ENTITY X/Y/Z in the plugin to obtain the ball's position from your map.

Look forward to further updates.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 02:58
Thanks, APEX. Just wondering, what performance do you get with the dynamic reflections on? Over here I'm getting 30 fps (I use Fraps to get framerates).

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 04:45
I get around the same FPS over here. G4 MX440 on 1.3ghz

Paul.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 11:51
I liked the demo a lot! very smooth.

Evil MonkeyI didn't even realize that you were using a CSM map for the level! if you don't mind, would you post some kind of demo on my forum to show users how to combine these? I think lots of users would like to be able to add physics to their CShop levels!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 12:24
For the level collision I just used (Assuming your .csm level is object 1000):

lil gamecreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi evil monkey
im only 12 years old and im trying 2 learn game design
by meself until some1 wants 2 help
great game
awsome phisics
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you text alot?

Thomas Smith
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 04:11
Incase you're interested, here's the code for my Newton physics (Includes Delta-Time Code):

For me, implementing Newton physics was really simple, and I only had minor difficulties in doing so. You might as well download the wrapper yourself and try it. It's great.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:44:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:44:44