Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Katey's Quest - engine test

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 08:36
Katey's Quest is a lode-runner inspired game. Little girl, runs around levels picking up broken pieces of a magical mirror so that she can magically warp to the next level, getting hindrered by switches, locked doors, monsters and blah blah blah

The game is in early stages of course. The graphics are definitely going to be vastly improved by the time the game is done... at the moment, what I would really, really like feedback on, is the controls. Not what button does what (Z confirms a selection, X switches switches, reads signs etc... direction keys move around) but the responsiveness and that kind of thing. The way my controls worked in Munchies and Ouroboros were the biggest complaint people had, so i'd really like to get it right this time. So if you could be so kind as to try it out, tell me if anything/what is wrong with the controls, i'd be happy

KateyDemo.rar 1.4MB

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
looks pretty cool
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 22:22 Edited at: 11th Feb 2005 22:25
all i got in that file was

(where []=folders)

Quote: "The game is in early stages of course. The graphics are definitely going to be vastly improved by the time the game is done..."

this explains it

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 00:02 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 00:03
The Game is fun!
I like it.
Nice maps too

I like the control for the game too nice and simple

Keep up the good work

The Nerd

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 01:11 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 01:14
PiratSS: Thanks
LukasW : Well, early stages... but it should still have more than one big black bitmap... maybe corrupt download, try again? Cos The Nerd must have got more files than that
The Nerd: Thenko sir, good to hear the controls are OK so I can work on more complexy stuff now (smart monsters... eep)

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 01:22
the filesize is 1.42 mb the bitmap is 2.3mb i think when the bitmap is packed it gets 1.42 mb?? anyway see attached picture

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 01:34
That's a very odd problem... i'm stumped. 1.42MB is the correct filesize, so no problems there. *confused*

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 11:23
That's pretty cool. LodeRunner was one of my favorite Windows 3.1 games and this is just as good. Keep up the good work!
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 12:35
lukas where did you get your theme?

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 07:58
lukas?

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 23:39 Edited at: 1st Mar 2005 00:35
Thanks for teh feedback

Having ickle problems at the moment, nothing big, the game has slowed down from happy speed (I had it set at 30fps) to 20fps or so... not good. It's probably cos i'm using 2D and 3D at the same time, I hear that slows stuff down, so i'm sure I can work around that. If you hold CTRL the topleft of the screen will display your FPS and a bunch of O's and X's... ignore those)

I made a new demo. 4 levels: KateyDemo2
(attached screenshot isn't actually from this demo, but the monsters shown are...)

The graphics haven't changed much, a few updates to signposts and ladders that's all really. But a lot of new things, plenty of monsters and some new blocks, including the very important Cauldron which Katey can use to cast some spells if she gathers ingredients.

Attachments

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 04:34
Questions:
Will there be a level editor for the game?
What's the 3D for? (I'm assuming the Katey character even though I thought it was a sprite)
Are you going to make the entire game 3D? (I think the game would look better 2D only)

The game's coming along nicely it'd be nice to have some animations for the monsters though, it shouldn't be too hard to make them.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 22:59
hi, my internet connection is broken and my gfx card is also broken so i cant start the computer and i cant go online been like this for 1.5 weeks

theme? what theme?? expplain yourself

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 04:55 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2005 04:57
GothOtaku:
Yes, to me, the level ed was the most important thing in Loderunner. So i'll definitely be including it I've tried very hard to make the level editor very easy to use. here's a screeny of how it stands at mo. It's all pretty much mouse based, which makes it nice and easy. As you can see there's a lot of blocks and monsters not yet used... but 90% of them are coded and work great

The 3D is really only used in the title screen (and cut scenes in between levels... hopefully) but it seems to stick around, I mean deleting all the objects doesn't help with the slowdown... yeah, the game itself will be entirely 2D.

Animations for monsters will come along eventually of course, i'm just putting off the graphics till after most of the blocks code is done... because i'm afraid of it D:

Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 06:35
cool.. might wanne work on the sprites a bit more though

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 09:17
Quote: "Yes, to me, the level ed was the most important thing in Loderunner. So i'll definitely be including it "

Yaay! Well, if you need any help designing levels, sprites, or bits of code feel free to ask me I'd be glad to help.

Basically, I just want this done soon so I can play it.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 18:33 Edited at: 4th Mar 2005 18:37
Well, my biggest problem is the sprites as I haven't really got round to making the imporved versions of most of them... but it would be a lot to ask, as there are 9 themes of blocks (or worlds... like cave and arctic, as you can see in demo) each one consisting of lots of little 32*32 sprites. Well you can see from the attached image that there is quite a few... and though they don't ALL have to change for each theme, most should. Especially the important ones, ladders, the solid blocks (16sprites each...) telepods etc...
Tis quite probably too much to ask
Shall be done eventually, my bro is leaving for america soon... so my time on computer will double. Should make lots of progress then I hope

And just for the sake of it: Katey model created a while ago... will probably be redone to be smoother, but the basic design will remain same )

Attachments

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 08:15
Quote: "theme? what theme?? expplain yourself
"

Lukas
how did you get your computer to look oike that, XP dosent look like that...or is that just because you live in norway?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:31:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:31:11