Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / ETV Racer source code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 03:19 Edited at: 23rd May 2005 03:14
I decided to release the code and media for ETV Racer. You can see the TGC review of it here:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=209.

Its pretty old now, but perhaps someone might find it helpful. You can download it here:
http://oliver.dbspot.com/

Oliver
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 07:23
Should be good. I'll check it out.

Thanks Oliver.

My cat! My cat is on fire! Dear god someone help!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 07:39
Very generous of you Oliver. ETV Racer was a great game, I'm sure many will learn from it.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 08:27
You are great! I just downloaded it from your site and gave a first look: smooth coding!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 02:37
Thanks and if anyone has questions abt it, just ask
RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Oliver,

Thank you very much for releasing your source code....I will find this all very useful. One question: I haven't been able to look at the code yet but I was wondering if you made the tracks with a textured matrix or from an .x file.

Thanks
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 06:55
I have one question. How did you do the way point system?

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 23:40
this thread should go straight in to the new newsletter so people at the gamecreators look here at this nice dude.
smoth coding love it.

AMD ATHLON 1.8 XP WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 (128 MB) AND 256 MB DDRAM (266).
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 01:30
Thanks Cliff 3degs network , perhaps I will submit it to the next newsletter.

RossageSausage
The levels are an .x object, and I used a program called Metasequoia to create them, however you could use any modeling program. But if you do use Meta, then I also made some code (which runs in MSWord ) to UV map the level and export the collision data, which might be helpful.

dj blackdragon3710
The waypoint system basically works like this: Rotate the car towards checkpoint A, and when it gets there rotate the car towards checkpoint A+1, and so on. Its pretty simple, but it gets more complicated when you add things to make it more realistic. For example, rotating the car smoothly, and only when there is a big correction in the direction.
RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 02:39 Edited at: 19th Mar 2005 08:06
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the process of making an outdoor adventure game where the main character travels from point a to b by vehicle so I wanted to know if I could adapt your code to work on my .x levels. I use AC3D for my modeller which rocks

Next questions I wanted to know (I'm at work so I can't mess with the code right now to find out)

What collision system did you use?
What did you do to make the atv align to the track? (did you use the ezrotate plugin?)

-edit-
I don't own Metasequoia (I'll dl it) but I would love to take a look at that word file to see how you did what you did

Thanks!

ps. again kudos on the great work
Spline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 05:34 Edited at: 19th Mar 2005 05:37
thats great thanx oliver i think this game is one of the best out there

only problem is im having probs compling it propably something that i have done or not done please help, im geting

Runtime Error 118 - array does not exist or array subscript out of bounds at line 1174

in single player mode
DEANO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 06:37
It won't even compile for me
----Runtime Error '70' permission denied-----

Deano

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
-ALBERT EINSTEIN
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 20:59 Edited at: 19th Mar 2005 21:35
RossageSausage
You could adapt it, but there is so many other things going on in the code, that it would probably be easier to make your own.

[edit]
Check out the code called Following Waypoints:
http://oliver.mfhosting.com/index.php?section=darkbasic
[/edit]

The collision system I used is crazy. Its uses this magic forumla, that no one really understands. Basically, it checks to see if a 2d point is within the collision areas (which are made up of a list of coordinates). I think i originally got the idea from http://binarymoon.co.uk/. Its its not the best collision idea, perhaps try something like NGC or newton.

I never understood what the ezrotate plugin did. I just used some basic trigonometry to align the car to the ground. Its an old trick, and theres loads of examples around.

As for the MSWord code...

Quote: "UV(^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^# ^#.^#^#^#^#^#)
UV(0.00781 0.00781 0.99219 0.00781 0.99219 0.99219 0.00781 0.99219)"

Basically, you open the file in Word, then use the replace function with the code above, to adjust the UV coordinates. Simple, but really useful.

Spline & DEANO
I'll have a look at it later - its probably something to do with which version of DBPro you are using, I think I used an older one.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Oliver, I had no clue you made this game I loved it soo much, I think I'll go play it again, it's been awhole month since I've played it last...

Pretty awesome that you're releasing the source too.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:38:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:38:49