Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Katey's Quest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 10:40 Edited at: 26th May 2005 11:11
Katey's Quest: Chapter one now complete!

Katey's Quest page
Katey.RAR
Katey.ZIP

I hope this will become a series of games, hence the "chapter one" thing, I have ideas to keep each one different from the last. It's not just a pathetic attempt to re-use the same engine... each one will be written from scratch =)

Anyway...

Basically, Katey's Quest is a lode-runner inspired game. You control little Katey, as she runs around levels collecting mirror pieces to open up the exit. Getting in the way is monsters, traps, puzzles, blah blah you get the idea

Game has 100 levels
Boss fights (very happy with this feature...)
A good number of secrets to earn
Cool music by Parsec
Level editor!

Click on thumbnails for larger views

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 01:57
i played it did about 20 levels or so, some of the levels are nicely thought through, i never found out howto the kill the 2nd stage of the green plant boss there was always i root i couldent get to.

i liked the idea of kaytey turning into a shadow although it took me about 10 deaths to figure out what the shadow was :p. overall its a good game everything seems to be animated and colourful some of the levels are chalenenging and use alot of thinking.

although i prefer fps`s myself this is a very nice game and im sure most people will like it also

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 00:12 Edited at: 28th May 2005 00:47
Thanks thanks

The shaodw is weird, but it is introduced in the story mode, so if you encounter it there you get a signpost explaining what it is/does... Audrey II should be possible to kill, if you post which root you need killed I could tell you how to get to it.

I am an idiot though. I just found a huge bug because I used the wrong number in a variable twice... basically, if you defeat Caveman or Audrey II without getting 100% then it thinks you killed the FINAL boss instead of them... if you get 100% though, the bug doesn't exist... stupid stupid stupid

*edit*
Uploaded new versions. It should solve everything... well, everything related to the game...
RAR is uploaded, and ZIP should be up in a few minutes after I press the edit button. Huzzah!

shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 02:44
I can't work out how to get past the Spider Trouble level, and I'm guessing it's a bug - the level would be quite simple, except that the spiky bushes can't be passed while on a spider's back, they seem to be too high.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:24
It's not a bug.
You can walk past the spikes remember, just not on top of them. You have to get down there BEFORE the spider, so get down there as quick as you can, walk PAST the spikes not over them on the spiders back.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:49
Downloading soon...
Hold on.

Dumbo and Cool - July 31st, $9.99
Also this year - Oddworld RTS
Next year... The Old Remedy 2 and Scarecrow!
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:36 Edited at: 28th May 2005 05:37
Hey - seen your site -

so you used DIV games studio too then? I did aswell!

Didn't like it too much after WinXP came out - plus all I wanted to make were RTS titles (which were pretty much impossible under DIV).

Katey's looking good. I'll download as soon as FireFox stops acting up

Please to see chapter 1 finally finished!

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 06:28
Yeah, DIV Games Studios was quite good. But like you say, windowsXP makes it kind of useless... I can't even play my own games... I think they have a windows version now though... but then, I much prefer Darkbasic now. Not just the whole 3D thing, but I just like the flow that code goes through better, probably cos I learned coding in Qbasic. So it feels more natural to me

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 06:30
i completed assault on audrey 2 , i didnt see the climbing thing at the top :p, i did a few more levels but my pc keeps messing up doing this alot lately ._O

i liked the levels with the devil things although it took me quite a few deaths to figure out how its done

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 06:32 Edited at: 28th May 2005 06:36
Hey Tifu - just downloaded and played for a while...
A big fan as always, but I noticed a load of improvements:

Animation!
Enemies improved!
Music / sound!
Animated explosions etc... very cool, like Commander Keen

I'd have to say that the inclusion of a storyline is probably the biggest improvement though. It's very good actually, like Jumanji - the kids playtime storybook thing is a great idea. I actually want to see what happens to her at her grandmas house Guess I'll have to keep playing

The boss fights are intriguing, I'm looking foward to the next 4, but for the moment I'm stuck on the cave woman one. I'll have another go in a minute

Good work,
and good luck with your next Katey game!

Dumbo and Cool - July 31st, $9.99
Also this year - Oddworld RTS
Next year... The Old Remedy 2 and Scarecrow!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 08:43
Thanks thanks Very glad the storyline is appreciated, those storybooks took forever to draw and colour

Chapter Two should be fun, I do have some other projects to get done before I can start work on that though. Fun fun.

shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 10:01 Edited at: 28th May 2005 10:08
That made more sense, although the signs should probably state that you can't use a spider on the same level as them to cross them, or perhaps the spikes should be drawn a bit higher.

EDIT: This post had more in it, but I worked it out. But the game needs a better readme file, and more information on the in-game signs. The effect of the hearts wasn't immediately obvious, and in fact, since it looked like katey was dying three times on the spikes, it looked more like a bug.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 23:45
Yeah, I did notice one of the levels where the heart is introduced I forgot to put a sign to explain its purpose... the other heart introducing level does have one at least.

Someone on another forum suggested a 'restart level' option into the pause game options. So i've uploaded another fix with that, though it's a minor thing it does seem like it should be there...

shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2005 06:34
Yeah, I was thinking that too - just a timesaver, instead of having to quit and re-enter each time you realise you've missed something.

Not that it matters after all the levels have been completed 100%! I ran around a lot potion-bombing areas in the world map looking for more secrets, but I think the potions might just be there for practicing controls. Anyway, pretty good game, nice to know there's more games planned, but don't ignore 2D! 2D needs people like you!
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2005 18:44
one of the most professionally made games in darkbasic (or the most)

good job

the music is awsome too
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2005 19:10
Wow thanks

Re: 2D - 2D hates me. So much work making all those sprites

There are a couple games I want to make that would work better in 2D I guess... somewhere down the line... i'll need to improve my spriting skillz quite a bit...

Parsec
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I wanted to thank everyone for the comments on the music I'm glad you all enjoyed it! I sure enjoyed writing it, and I look forward to scoring future Katey games as well

~~~ The Timeline is safe. ~~~
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 02:07
Bump.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 04:57
I LOVE KATEY'S QUEST! And I'm having a whole lot of trouble with the Slime King level...

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 17:59
Thenks

The Slime King is evil
I could post how I go about killing him if you're still having trouble when you read this...

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 20:37
I love these types of puzzle games. Your level design is superb and amazing you many puzzles can be fit in such a small part of a level.

Professionally put together as well with loads of menus and options screens and a pretty good level editor to boot.

I'm gonna play this all the way through.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 22:48
yep...still having trouble...

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 00:15
Spooky:
Thanks I haven't had much feedback about the level ed, but it was an important part of the whole thing. So glad ya like

Flindiana Jones
Okee dokey
I hate these code tags, I always have to zoom in to be able to read them... but it's the only way to put spoilers

Sorry if that's not terribly descriptive, writing tutorials is not my forte

Parsec
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone besides me beaten it?

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 04:46
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 07:38
Quote: " Has anyone besides me beaten it?"

Stuck on that stupid minotaur...

Excellent game BTW, my only gripe is not being able to configure the controls.
Parsec
Years of Service
User Offline
^ You just have to time those potions right to blast him, and hitting him with a potion will stop him for a couple of seconds so you can gain some more distance from him.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 22:27
Quote: "^ You just have to time those potions right to blast him, and hitting him with a potion will stop him for a couple of seconds so you can gain some more distance from him."

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. Now I just need to beat the slime king....
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 02:37
Wow, this is fantastically(is that a word?) done. Just spent about 2 hours playing, and am stuck on the plant boss.

Lot of things done right in this game. I thought the overall presentation, graphics, and the opening cinematic were awesome.
Now I just need to play this all the way through to get the other unlockables.

Fantastic job with this.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 20:06
GothOtaku:
He's probably the most evil boss if you need help with him, I posted some help a few posts back in reply to Flindiana Jones.
A lot of people have commented on lack of custom controls... has certainly made me want to make sure it's possible in all future games

MikeS:
Thanks. I'm really glad people like the storybook... probably said that before, but I really am
If you're still stuck at the plant boss, i'll post how to beat her for ya.

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 23:10
This game is excelent. Reminds me of Load Runner which was one of my favorites. Many levels are challenging for me (which is saying alot, I beet Devil May Cry 3 on hard in a few hours) especialy the level with the 2 red devils. I'm stuck on the Jelly King level, I bombed him 4 times but he wouldnt die (you put the bomb above him when he's stuck right?). Going to your sight to see if I can get some tips.

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 00:38 Edited at: 11th Aug 2005 00:38
Don't have much tips on my site... you have the method down for killing him, trick is if he's stuck for too long, he'll free himself (exploding but not causing him damage) so if you're too slow, you might still not deal damage...
I did post a lil guide to the slime king, just scroll up till you see a code snippet.

If anyone be interested in Chapter 2, I will be starting it once I finish the game i'm currently creating Already have most of the game elements for Chapter 2 plotted out on paper, as well as the exciting plot :p

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 20:54
I would definately be interested in Chapter Two.
Who wouldn't be?

Katie Holmes does not endorse D&C or Drew Cameron.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 18:01
hee =D

I got a reply on another forum about some bugs in story mode, so I spent the last couple days working on them...
I've also finally added the ability to customise controls while I was at it, we now have joypad support too.

You can download the whole thing again, or more sensibly just download this much smaller patch and replace the exe file:
Katey patch - RAR
Katey patch - ZIP

Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
oh.. nice.. This is one of the best 2D games I did ever play..
Great work, Tifu..

The worst foe lies within the self..
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 05:29
have you entered this in the showcase examples? if not you should.

I discriminate against discriminating people....
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 12:39
This is one of the only DB games I keep going back to when I have spare time. I'm now on the infamouse slime king level and even reading your tips above I think it's gonna be difficult - maybe too difficult.

Boo!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2005 02:03
Thanks thanks =D

Slime King is evil. it's probably cos I coded him last... I was originally going to have 0 bosses, then 3... and after coding those three (first, third and final worlds was where they were) I decided to add an extra two to give every world a boss. Works well, but perhaps it has made the one I created last a lil tougher than the others :S

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 16:50
When I got to the third level ('Goal Mine' I think?) it crashed when I walked into the mushroom,

"[COMMON]
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=3185"

But other than that, very cute game, loved the intro and nicely put together levels. Very cool

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes it was a nice game although may i ask can you jump?

[img] http://www.dabip.stonerocket.net/next/images/other/couch.jpg" [/img]
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 03:38
Thanks =)

Kangaroo: That's a weird error o_O especially as the mushroom doesn't actually do anything =/ er...

FXgamer: Not in the way most platformers do...
There is a spell she can cast if she puts feathers into a cauldron. It allows you to jump up ledges when you're standing next to them by pressing up.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 13:23
yeah thats what I thought. Can't replicate it so I guess it was a random dbpro error Anyway as I said, great game, loadsa fun

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 08:12
pretty cool game! i havent beaten it yet but im having fun playing it.i can tell u put alot of work into this.

im curious what type of game are u working on now?
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 10:45 Edited at: 30th Oct 2005 10:47
thanks

Currently taking a break from the puzzle game genre to create a more action based title. It's a Powerpuff Girls fangame designed by Parsec (creator of all my music in Ouroboros and Katey's Quest, and also tester of both ) You can read about it here if yee wish
Basically it's a fighting game where you can fly instead of slide back and forth, and fire various energy/fireball/things instead of punches and kicks... much fun D:

Once that is complete I will be ready to start on Katey's Quest: chapter 2 which I am very much looking forward to getting started on D= too many ideas spewing out my head.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 13:23
Can't wait for the sequel, Tifu.

If you need a hand this time around I'm always available.

T Minus 16 days.
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 18:07 Edited at: 31st Oct 2005 18:07
Great game, took me a day to complete it 100%. Expecting to see further of Katey....
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 23:09 Edited at: 31st Oct 2005 23:13
Only a day? Dang, I need to make the second chapter tougher

Drew: Thanks muchly, the thing i'm working on won't be finished till at least Christmas at a rough guess. So still a decent while away...

You know anything about the 'instance object' command? According to the help file "This command is ideally suited to copying large numbers of primarily static objects such as trees and rocks where the original model data is to remaing largely unchanged." which sounds perfect for what I plan (Ch2 being in 3D, so all those blocks and walls could cause some slowdown... they did occasionally in Ouroboros ) if this does make a big difference in performance over just loading or cloning the object over and over to build a level, then... I have no worries. If it doesn't make any improvement to performance, I shall cry and have to try and rethink my whole idea for the game =P

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2005 05:16
Quote: "Only a day? Dang, I need to make the second chapter tougher"

hehe, just me....

ever played the megaman zero series?, they say to be hell of difficuly, but i hardly die on the game and always finish them in lv A (lv S is the highest lv and drops to A , B ... to F)

I'd lend ya a hand, but some new projects appear from some fan studio, so i'll be busy working with them on a Shaman King game, or something alike....
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Tifu, your game has changed a whole lot since I last saw some screenshots. 100 levels must have also took a while to make, congrats, this is really well put together.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 20:35
haha i just beat the game! very nice! im looking forward to playing v 2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:11:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:11:51