Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Vexd - puzzle compo entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 04:44
This is an early look at my puzzle compo entry with a playable demo that I would like some people to test to make sure things run smoothly. Nothing happens when you finish the level. It is just an engine test.

In game shot:

Level editor shot:

The game is basically a 3D sokoban type game where you push balls around a level onto correct coloured tiles. In classic sokoban you could only push one block at a time. In my version you can push as many as you want, even up and down the 3d ramps.

The level in this download is nothing like what a proper level will be like, but demonstrates the scale of things possible. I also want to know what FPS you get. It is running in Fullscreen Exclusive mode at 800*600 and should run silky smooth at monitor refresh rate, which on my monitor is 60fps. I may even bung the level editor into final game as well and maybe even the source code.

Downloads in zip, rar and 7zip format (no excuse for you not to download!)

Zip = 1.68 MB = http://www.dbhut.com/zips/vexd_beta.zip
Rar = 0.99 MB = http://www.dbhut.com/rars/vexd_beta.rar
7Zip = 0.92 MB = http://www.dbhut.com/7zips/vexd_beta.7z

Controls: Cursors or WASD

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 08:14 Edited at: 11th Jun 2005 08:15
Realy realy nice!

Runs averrage of 40ish FPS on my computer.
59 highest - 30 lowest.

2ghz AMD (crappy motherboard though)
fx5200 graphics
512mb ram

This should finish high. Looking forward to playing finished version.

One question - will you have a reset option for when you get a ball stuck like this:

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 08:33
Runs greats, gets a little jumpy in some points but:

Highest FPS: 75 (my screen refresh rate)
Lowest FPS: 60
Most of the time: 75

I do feel things move a little too quickly, might just be I'm not used to the game itself.

Moving blocks would make for some interesting puzzles. Also, balls that continue rolling as well, so they might fall off the edges and only a solid wall can stop them. Just a thought.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!
Current Projects: Lemmings Remake
(Untitled) Puzzle Game for the Compo
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 09:12
@Flashing Blade - Yes there will be big reset button like in most sokoban games, as the idea of the puzzles is not to get your balls stuck. (ouch!)

@Avan Madisen - I am already thinking of movable blocks so you have to make bridges to roll your balls across. Makes coding more difficult though as you have to decide what to do if you try and move a block that now has a ball or another movable block on top of it. Having balls move by themselves down ramps is something I was already considering but it makes my head hurt thinking of all the coding required!

I'll try and optimise speed as it should really stay silky smooth throughout game. Might be the gpu shadows. That'll be an option anyway. There'll also be resolution option. There is also a hell of a lot more blocks on that level than a normal level, even after I hide the ones out of view, so speed will be a lot more anyway.

Hopefully I'll have an all singing all dancing demo in a week or two with lots of proper levels, and hopefully some suitable sound effects.

Thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 12:24
I remember playing a game similar to this years ago, though I can't think of what the name was(it wasn't sokoban). I remember my brother seeing me playing it and having a go himself for quite a while. I played it for ages, its a very addictive concept.

As for this game, it runs between 30-45 FPS for me. The graphic style is nice and simplistic which I like. Should be nice to play when you have a couple of complete levels strung together.

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
darkzuel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 12:51
Wow, very nice. Someone is going to win the compo.

My Site: www.ultra-game-world.com
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 07:14
Quote: "decide what to do if you try and move a block that now has a ball or another movable block on top of it"

I'd suggest if a movable block has something on top of it, make that block un-movable, that should be simplest way to do it. But allowing blocks to be pushed with blocks ontop of them could make for interesting puzzles. Moving a ball between different sized towers by stacking up blocks and moving the ball on top, and having to move other blocks onto the stack as you get higher and higher. But that could be a pain to code.

As for making the balls move on their own, I don't think it'd be that complex, just make sure they can only move in one direction at a time, keep track of their speed and change it based on the sine of th slope angle. When a ball hits a wall it just stops. On the other hand it would take some very, very careful map designs so it's up to you how you want to proceed with the idea. Looks it'll be a great contender either way.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!
Current Projects: Lemmings Remake
(Untitled) Puzzle Game for the Compo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:46:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:46:29