Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Puzzle Game Competition / [LOCKED] Dungeon

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 07:01 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 17:57
By Peter Hellmuth
DBPro

Very similar in style to the Atari classic Chips Challenge - negotiate your way from the start to the end of the level by standing on switches, pushing blocks, open doors and avoiding the knights if you can. Very challenging! but plenty of levels included + a level editor.

Download: http://72.36.165.83/Dungeon.zip

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 13:21
Ah, well i'm in china so i can't download any of the games to test so i'll have to give my game 4 points because i know that i worked hard on it...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 23:25
Just out of interest - can someone tell me how the hell to finish the first level?! Try as I might I just couldn't get off it, which is a real shame because I love games like this and wanted to see what else was in store.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 07:46
Quote: "Just out of interest - can someone tell me how the hell to finish the first level?!"

Yup you push the red block over top the lower left circle and a grey block appears then push the grey block next to the circle next to the blue block that is across from the blue and red block in the photo above, then put the red block back to the starting position like in the photo above.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 04:17
Nice game and including a level editor is a bonus.

You need to work on your difficulty curve though Peter. It would be good if you started with some much easier levels as even level 1 is very difficult.

robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 04:53
I think the main challenge is that the levels seem to be quite fiendishly designed. Each level contains a lot of unimportant blocks and flip panels which seem to be pointless, other than as a diversion. I think that works well for a puzzle game as the solution won't be obvious and forced onto the player. However, I don't think its appropriate for the first few levels since it can make them seem a little bewildering for a new player. Great game though!

Simple... yet fun!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 07:34
I have been playing this a lot and once you start you can't stop (pringles anyone?).

It is what a puzzle game is all about - lots of switches, blocks and other stuff to work out what they do and how they interact with each other. Loads of original levels that are fiendishly designed.

It may look quite basic but that is perfectly ok for this type of game as it lets you concentrate on the puzzle element.

Congratulations - I award you 2nd place

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 22:38
Just a note to any noat-paying-attention downloaders: look in the program anouncements thread for Dungeon. It includes--at the moment-- two level updates, and will probably have more as time goes by.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 22:41
You cannot, however, use the new version to vote against - the one listed above is the only version you should be voting for. The new version is outside the competition rules.

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 23:30
This one will definatly get my vote, I don't even need to play it to see it is a good peice of work. Plus I love game like this.

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
James Morgan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 04:17
Brilliant puzzle game, not great graphics but for this type of game that would only ruin it. I like the puzzles, you just need a walkthrough for level 9 which I cannot figure out

First place vote

Hello!
FROGGIE!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 04:57
yeah this is a very good game with some excellently designed levels, it really makes you think. A walkthrough released at a later date would be a good idea. ill give it second place.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 22:45
Level nine as given in the download is impossible: I have a fixed version in the program anouncments thread. level 18 is also impossible, but I also have a new version of that in the program anouncement thread, or http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=56441&b=5 here.

James Morgan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 22:49
So it wasnt just me going nuts!!

Well Iv already voted for you, I will get round to downloaded the patches see what they are like later on.

Good coding
J

Hello!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 14:05
I love retro tile based RPGs so was excited to see a new fantasy spin on a game like Chip's Challenge. I was horrible at this game and couldn't get past first level until someone above mentioned the solution. Maybe even easier beginner puzzles to ease dummy players such as myself into it? Good tutorial levels should introduce the qualities of each type of block (grey, green, red, etc.) one or two at a time.

I didn't really hear the sounds from the media folder while playing, it would have been good to have more prominent sound effects to accentuate the activity on the level. Maybe some fantasy style music in the background would have been nice too. Something to soothe the frustration that mounted due to my lack of ability.

Good job on the game.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 06:45
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I agree that the difficulty curve is pretty darn steep...but i was in a rush so i couldn't have my level designer make easier ones or make easier ones myself...(i was already on borrowed time anywawy) but it's something i'll keep in mind for version 2.0 or my next game...

Anyway, i'm writing from a computer that has "Chinese Windows 98" and the keyboard is fascinating (it has english and chinese on it, and you change a setting on the computer to tell it which one you want to use) but since the chinese don't write with a alphabet it's very interesting to watch one type...the hit a key and it comes up with a list of words they could mean by hitting that key...(that's a simplified version of what happens...it looks a lot more complicated than that )

I should be coming back to the states in about 5 days (i'm not sure what day i'll get back with the time difference and the extremely long plane ride...)

It's been very interesting to be living in Hong Kong, one of the biggest cities in the world...a little different from my small city (which i'm going to have to call a town now, just because it's so darn small compared to Hong Kong...)

So i'll see you pretty soon Flynn!

--Peter

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 15:12
I had the same problem as Rich, the first level was too difficult. On the plus side it has a very retro feel and the puzzle ideas, such as the blocks that appear can be moved (as mentioned above, I wasn't aware of those initially) could create some very interesting puzzle solutions. Nice attempt, but it didn't do much for me. Sorry.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!

Current Projects: Lemmings Remake & (undecided)
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 07:51
Ill give you my 3rd place vote!

When it comes to programing, I'm on fire!
Formerly known as flame master...Changed name because I do not flame
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 09:57
Pro's:
I love these games, to the Puzzle element to it is a BIG Pro!
Sufficiently hard puzzles ( I couldn't pass lvl 2 )

Con's:
No music.
No sound effects eccept for buttons.
Menu graphics are a bit 'standard' type of thing, and they don't fit with the rest of the game.

Comment:
Great game, but I couldn't get past level 2, so I got frustrated and closed it! You should never frustrate the player... After an amount of losses, possibly offer up a hint, or after so many moves, etc.
No Votes, sorry.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 22:13
Quote: "After an amount of losses, possibly offer up a hint, or after so many moves, etc.
"

ahh, good idea...this was in chip's challenge (after a certain number of tries it would let you skip the level )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:22:13