Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Riker 9 FPS Creator Update

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 19:06
Hello All:

As some of you may know, there were things that don\'t exactly work in FPSC when it was released due to time constraints.

Until now.

With the release of the Source Code for FPSC Builds, I have been working on getting issues that were not working in the original plus my own personal interest.

Introducing Riker 9

Riker 9 is a new build of FPSC with fixes, improvements, and other odds and ends to make the FPSC even a better product than it already is. Riker 9 is NOT a replacement for the FPSC program, for the GUI interface of the FPSC will NOT change, only the EXE that is built when you compile the game.

Currently working on a list in this order:

Save Game at any point
Load Game from a menu
Land Mines
Faster Frame Rate

Nothing will be released until the 5.9 is out of BETA. Also note that I do not work for TGC so if you have problems with the Riker 9 build, don’t go screaming to them.

-This...is my boomstick!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 19:07
I can't wait!!!

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 19:18
Eats Fantastico.

He who is mortal is bound by his soul, He who is immortal has no soul
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 21:48 Edited at: 13th Nov 2005 21:48
Um yea what Merranvo said

Your signature has been erased by a mod
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:20
riker nine is so cool

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
I want Riker9..do do do do doooo do..I want riker9....I WANT RIKER9!

Everton
Years of Service
User Offline
who do i pay / kill / mame / blackmail / marry

to get a copy of this???

LOL
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 11:45
Sounds good, but very tiny, small, enquiry of curiousity [?] Why the name??

You are talking to THE dude, I am the dude. T.H.E. dude, there's no other dude like me. The dude is a way of life, you just dont understand.
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 11:47 Edited at: 14th Nov 2005 11:49
He says because "Riker 10" sounds weird, which I've translated as "a name is a name, who cares why it is?"

Quote: "who do i pay / kill / mame / blackmail / marry

to get a copy of this???"

You blackmail the TGC into releasing it's DarkBASIC Pro 5.9 patch offically so it's out of beta. He's waiting for 5.9 to be stable and final before he trusts anything he compiles with it. Which is fair enough.

Run before you can walk, always raise the stakes higher, always keep moving, because you never know who's catching up.
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 23:21
Will there be flashlights? It would help Jiffy with his Project Luna...

Looks Fantastic! hope nothing happens to it... *cough*$$$*cough*

I say exactly what's on my mind, like "Imagine your grandpa in a speedo" or "I eat Jell-O while waxing the table" and my personal favorite, "I drink bathtub water"
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 23:28
The really sad thing is that there were lots of suggestions and even same code and test programs but due to some people who are now banned, all that is lost.

There is no charge for this "Update/Modification" and yes there will be flashlights (and torches).

-This...is my boomstick!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 23:34
wait, whos banned?!?!?!?!

Chronosv2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 02:45
Based on my reading of other posts, Merranvo and Conjured entertainment.

Flashlights will be cool.

Proud owner of FPSC v1
P4 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200/128MB VRAM
Lex Lusifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 03:26
wow that sux

Don't tought the delete key...
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 03:29
Why was merranvo banned?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 10:37
Spamming apparantly, I think he wen't a bit crazy and spammed the whole FPSC section of the forum so Rich put him in his place.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 11:27
To the point of Conjured? Anyway, let's not get to far into this on the thread. These Riker threads have a habit of getting locked .

Click above for Project Luna demo! Resident Evil Remake is teh fergin' best!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 15:13
@Van B:

That all fine that Conjured Entertainment got banned, but because of Richard locking my original thread because of Conjured Entertainment, Conjured Entertainment started a new thread about Riker 9 that had lots of suggestions AND my programs in it. When Conjured Entertainment got banned, they deleted his post with over 200 suggestions, code samples, and my testing programs that I spent a lot of time on. It really irks me to lose a month worth of work because someone got banned.

And yes, these Riker 9 threads have a habit of getting locked due to one person, Conjured Entertainment.

-This...is my boomstick!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 15:45
Excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering what sort of frame-rate improvements you've been getting with R9?

I'm not after exact figures, just a ball-park percentage if you've got one.

Getting FPSC going at 50-60 fps would make it top shelf.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 15:47
All dependent on the person's computer. I seen it as high as 141, but once again, lost all that work.

-This...is my boomstick!
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 16:16
If people are getting banned and their work is being lost it might be worth asking them to post on the forum I've setup for the project, it does mean that if the person goes insane and gets banned, that there's a backup. Also if they go insane on those fourms it's flexible though to just remove the offending posts and issue a tempory ban while the guy gets his head together. Either way, it's usful contributions won't be lost because of 5 mins stupidity.

I would also like to thank the two people who have already posted in the source code submittions area.

Run before you can walk, always raise the stakes higher, always keep moving, because you never know who's catching up.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 16:30
So your asking that people post in your FPSC forum, yet your determined to send your copy back? - isn't that risky?

I had nothing to do with anyone being banned, in fact I haven't banned anyone yet IIRC - just wanted to point that out in case anyone thought I was to blame for lost posts, I will make a request in the mods lounge that Rich restores the posts here if possible, worst case is he says he can't, but it's worth a try.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 16:45
@Van B:

Yes, it had lots of code suggestions, test programs, ideas fleshed out and such. It would be nice to get all that stuff back and not have to remember to download each and every bit of information o the forum incase someone goes insane again.

If he says no, I understand. I can start over from stratch, but with the understanding that it put Riker 9 about a month back.

-This...is my boomstick!
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 18:03
Quote: "So your asking that people post in your FPSC forum, yet your determined to send your copy back? - isn't that risky?
"

It's not an FPSC Forum, it's a Riker 9 project forum, and I ment anything related to Riker 9, that could be added to the project. You will clearly see that there are no adverts, no "please donate" buttons, no way for me to make money, it's a free site, I pay for out of my own pocket to help developers who are taking matters into their own hands and running interesting projects. I'm not an ace programmer but I am a decent webmaster, and I am more then willing to aid free-projects from users like Cellbloc who aren't asking to be paid. So no, I don't think it's risky, while I might not like the software, Cellbloc is doing alot to help change it for the better, as isn't getting paid for it. I respect programmers like him, and wish to support them, this is the best way I can think of.

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
feel for you cellbloc it does suck to lose a months worth of work

but you could alway try the internet time machine see if its somewhere on there

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.thegamecreators.com
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 20:20
I'm confused.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 20:54
And when do ye get R9?

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 02:08 Edited at: 17th Nov 2005 02:08
Quote: "So your asking that people post in your FPSC forum, yet your determined to send your copy back? - isn't that risky?
"

It's not risky, its hypocrisy.

I don't think having a rebel forum is needed, anyway. Apart from a few agitators most of the posts relating to R9 that I saw were pretty civil.

Most people recognise that's it's a great add-on, especially coming so soon after V1, and is going to make a cool stocking-filler.

Back on topic, though, I was wondering if the speed rate improvements you've made allowed for a constant sync rate, since that seemed to be reason 33fps is the max in V1?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 02:47 Edited at: 17th Nov 2005 02:49
Actually it has a two part story:

Speeding up the frame rates made the animation run faster, so I had to build in a delta time for everything.

Then I got tired and forgot to do it for the Physics engine (which I REALLY don't like, I'm much happier with Havok or Newton) so bottles were flying around like bullets.

I made a funtions to force the animation to slow down but when more entities were in the room the FPS dropped and I didn't call the skew to adjust the animations.

It was a slight mess.

Then my step father passed away, and I got to come back to America.

I have been working on it, but as you know, my mind has been drifting.

The main focus now is to get a routine that based on the current frame rate, skew the animations AND Physics, figure out why the heck it's rendering more polys than is on the screen.

With the test program (which was in the lost thread that has been deleted, thanks CE) we had people running 141 FPS so to answer your question, YES it can run faster and once I have the routine done, it will allow for constant frame (sync) rates.

-This...is my boomstick!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 03:06
That's great.

I wouldn't feel under too much pressure to get this done yesterday. You're doing things I couldn't contemplate, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Family tragedies are one of the worst things you can experience, so good on you for still participating in these forums.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 05:34
Hey, ummm, Cellbloc? Can I BETA for you?

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 10:56
Quote: "It's not risky, its hypocrisy.

I don't think having a rebel forum is needed, anyway. Apart from a few agitators most of the posts relating to R9 that I saw were pretty civil."

Rebel forum? Cellbloc has full admin rights over both the forum and the website. It's simply a matter of improved organization, in the a single thread like this it can be quite hard to find things.

As for hypocrisy -

"an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction or insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have"

Wrong word.

I'm holding to what I've said, free forum, free website, cellbloc in control. My site is there to support worth while projects. I never said I had to own the product that was being modded, I just think it needs another years developement from people like Cellbloc before it's worth owning.

I also think that anyone over at the Open MMORPG project, as well as cellbloc will confirm I've asked for no payments, the site has no adds, and no donation buttons, though if Cellbloc wants a paypal donate button added direct to his account he has but to ask, or can set one up himself.

Quote: "Then my step father passed away, and I got to come back to America."

I am sorry to hear that.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 02:56
I called you a hypocrite, which I admit wasn't nice, because you're actively trying to return FPSC, and bagging the crap out of it, while at the same time denouncing these forums and creating new ones for the same software.

If Cellbloc wants another forum and you want to host it obviously that's between you two.

It just seems on the surface, considering your problems with TGC's customer service, to be a get square on your part which is silly. Without wanting to put words in Van B's mouth, I think this why he used the word "risky".

I'm confused, because if you don't like the software, and don't want to own the software, why are you still here?

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 03:09

Someone spoofed my account.
Thats why I got banned.

And its not my fault the Mod erased a thread that had over 5,000 views because he thought it was "garbage."

Blame the Mod or the Spoofer, but don't blame me.

And the first thread being locked was because I was being naha'ed, remember?

Again I was the victim, that wasn't my fault.

I will never post anything about Riker 9 again.

So, now you should all be happy and stop bad mouthing me, because I refuse to aruge with you further.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 04:47
Wanted another fourm?

No. I just want people to talk about Riker 9 and stop going off on WildTangents (pun intended, see my profile) and help make FPSC a better product and also to stop getting the Riker 9 threads locked or deleted.

When my mom's ask me what I want for Christmas, I always say
"Peace on Earth, Good will towards man"

One day hopefully.

-This...is my boomstick!
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 06:06
Hes learning!

Trust everyone...
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cellbloc,

Do you also release the sources of Riker 9 after the final release ?

Greetings.

MrNiceGuy
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 00:05
Yeap. I give the program away and the source away free.

-This...is my boomstick!
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Great, thanks for your support.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 03:48
ag, hey celbloc, one more time, how do you change the sky again? its somthing to do with trigger zones. Can you have the sky change more than once during level?

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 22:45
Hey blocky cell, can we have a full feature list?

Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
Is Riker 9 almost out?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 01:52
Last I heard he lost alot of work in the other thread removals and he is awaiting DBP 5.9 to be stabilized and properly released, so I would guess that it is not almost out.

Also @Cellbloc Studios could you send me another email or post your addy again. I somehow misplaced the last one and the other threads are gone

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 04:28
Yeah, I will work on a feature list here shortly!

-This...is my boomstick!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 07:28
Yeay! Thanks man!

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 16:22
That is real nice! Looking forward to the "Feature List".
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 21:19
Yea, come on homey gee dawg!! LoL, I need to stop that! But yea um, wen wen WEN!!

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 22:02
can you have a feature were you can swear at the badguys, and that will get them mad and be better at everything? jk, cant wait for it.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 08:45
Hey um cellblock, wherez my feature list?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 15:17
ChrisB, hold you horses, if you dont have any, go buy some

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:39:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:39:23