Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Quikly 3d Game Studio Pro - Update thread :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:50 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:33
Hi everyone - Quikly Game Studio Pro is still in development and coming along quite well For those of you who don't remember / haven't heard of it its a drag & drop style game making suite, a bit like FPSC except it can do different styles of games and output to dbpro code

I'm planning on releasing a new demo, (along with an option to register a full version and get free updates as they come) on the 15th of December - this will be a lot more advanced than the last demo, with many new features, bug fixes and a whole loada models and pre-fabs

Up until then (just over 2 weeks) I'll post details of my progress here.

One thing I really wanted to get done in time for the new demo was a model creator so that people without modelling software could make objects and scenery for their games. This is one of many tools that will be eventually added to the package, I have things planned such as texture editors, effects editiors, wizards etc.

The model creator is relatively far along in development. The basic idea for this was that I personally find modelling, and especially texturing in milkshape/3dsmax etc quite difficult and I know from reading these forums over the years that many others do also. This modelling software is as far as I am aware, totally unique in the way that it works. Its based on "box modelling" (making things out of cubes which you then re-shape) you can have as many boxes as you like, and each one can be resized, rotated, moved etc.

They can also be re-shaped via editting their vertices, but this is made very easy by the interface, which automatically moves them dependant on your camera angle, you just choose which corner you want to move and then use up, down left or right to move them. Its very simple, everything snaps to grid, and UV points of textures are automatically moved to fit.

Texturing models is REALLY easy - you simply move the view to the area you want to texture (front, left, etc) and choose a texture from your hard drive. That texture is then added to the side, and scaled appropriately, and when you output the model, all the textures are put together into a big texture and uv points set automatically

Essentially this is the easiest and most intuitive way to make models I could think of, and now I've finally got the code to work how it should, its really very fun and rewarding to use (Its kinda like lego, but you can squish the bricks )

Heres a screenshot of the interface:

Ok so this is a VERY simple model and obviously the textures are not relevant to it, this was just me fiddling around quickly to make a house shape and sticking a different texture on each side (the poster for "Confessions...") was ideal for testing as it had many different square photos with different colour backgrounds all in one image).

All I need to add now is an automatic texture scaling and stretching part, a hide/show box function and make sure the models are outputting in the right scale & rotation to work in Quikly Game Pro and then I'll start making proper models with it and show you guys what it can REALLY do Have plenty of plans for some nice mid-poly guns, buildings, vehicles and prefeb walls etc ready to be imported into the game

Other than the model maker and onto the actual gameplay, I'm still planning on the december release being mainly first person unless I can make a decent animated 3rd person model in that time (unlikely as I'd rather finialise the skeleton system first) and thus also no proper enemies yet. However power ups and objectives (start and finish points, object collection, puzzle solving etc) will be fully available, and the enemies and player models shall follow very soon

Thanks to anyone who's still interested in the progress of this project

Cheers, Sam

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 19:09 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:33
A Quick explanation of how the model editor interface works:

In the top right of every view is a dropdown that lets you select what view you are using, front, back, top bottom, left, right, or 3d (free). The button next to this is a maximize button that allows you to switch to full screen, or back to the four view mode. in the 3d mode you can hold the mouse button to rotate on the x&y axis.

In the top left of each view is a square cluster of buttons.
"New Box" : this makes a new box, which you then place with the mouse. It automatically snaps to the grid so they should all interlock nicely.

In any view you can right click on any box to select it.

"Delete Box" Deletes the selected box
"Texture Side" This textures the side that is visible in the view (ie front side, back side, etc) with the currently selected texture.
"Texture All" This textures all the sides with the currently selected texture.
"Advance Tools" This allows you to choose certyain options, ie how the texture is scaled, whether the uv points should follow the vertices, or realign to fit the shape, Manually assign uv, hide certain boxes etc.

The dropdown under the buttons chooses what tool is curretly assigned to the arrows:
"Move" : the arrows move the box in the direction of them (in relation to the camera angle)
"Size" : the arrows resize the box in relation to the camera angle
"Rotate" : the arrows rotate the box in relation to the camera angle
"TL Vert" move the top left (inreleation to the camera) vertice up, down left or right in relation to the camera
"TR Vert","BL Vert","BR Vert" as above but for the other 4 vertices.

The relevant Vertices all stick together as they should do, and all snap to grid to ensure the models have no tearing and always fit together as you'd want them to

Hopefully that gives a slightly better understanding as to how this modelling system will work. As I said I've never used one that works exactly like this, but this really is VERY easy to understand and pick up, and makes texturing models a peice of cake

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 19:34 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 19:38

[edit] Sweet! i can't wait for the demo

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 22:21
Yes, very cool.

We will take over the world!
Let our reign begin, CHARGE BUSH BABIES!
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 00:09 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:33
Thanks guys!

I'm just going to bed now (early night got work in morning!) But before I go to bed I decided to do a challenge - how detailled a model could I make in 5 minutes.... I made this gun.. please excuse the texture, I just used a generic metal, I was concentrating on shape, and also looking for bugs in the software

Not bad for 5 minutes, and shows the kind of results a (really inexperienced and usually rubbish!) modeller can make in a few minutes

Incidentally - I didn't find any bugs at all, but I did notice that the so far missing features of being able to zoom the view, remove the grid and also render to image were sorely missing - I'll make these high priority to add

If anyone has any suggestions for media styles or objects they'd like me to make, I'm open to suggestions - at the moment I'm mostly leaning towards themed sets, realistic modern/urban, spacey/furturistic, wwII/modernwars, gothic/castles, pirates, fantasy/rpg etc.

Also any comments about features for the model editor are welcome, but remember I'm trying to keep it simple - for example no boned animation system etc, that will be handled separately.

(Obviously being that this is a commercial project please don't expect royalties for suggestions/ideas - if they are that original or secret use them in your own work! )

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 02:58
That model editor looks peachy mate!

LONG LIVE TEH ROO.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Great stuff, very nice, how much in US currency?

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 11:11 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:33
Hawkeye - thanks

Drew G - thanks The price for the whole lot (Game editor, level editor, model editor, media etc) is £29.99, around $49.99 US, or €43.99 including p&p

That includes:
Boxed Version Product + Quick download
FREE updates for the life of the product
FREE software as its developped - I won't charge for add-ons
FREE models, textures, scripts etc released frequently
All games and media are royalty free for use by buyers

Hopefully that price sounds reasonable, roughly the price of a new game, and roughly the same as fpsc. The demo version will be free and not time limited, however will have less features. Anyway, let me know what you all think.

I'll post again tonight to let you guys know of any progress

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 16:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:33
Finally got the UV Mapping working accurately as it should

Wapped up this model quickly to test, based on one of the guns from DM2 - again just a test, nothing final, but just to brag this took around 7 minutes from scratch including modelling & mapping

I'm having too much fun doing this I keep wasting time making stuff when I haven't written a proper "save"/"load" function yet lol

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 16:31
so you can edit the UVmap??

that's pretty spiffy!

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 17:06
Looks like its coming along sweetly dude

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 17:18 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 17:18
That's a really awesome feature set Kangaroo BETA 2, cool!

Liking the new sig: p.s, lindsay lohan is fit.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 17:25 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:34
Peter " so you can edit the UVmap??"
Yes, kinda You can choose a different texture for each of the sides of the box and it'll automatically move the uv points to fit the image. you can also assign them manually, and toggle various ooptions such as scaling, tiling etc Obviously once the model has been exported you can open up the uv map texture and edit it in any paint package too.
"that's pretty spiffy!" - thanks

Seppuku & Drew - thanks

[edit] hehe Drew just noticed you added a comment about the sig, thanks Glad Katie is still around too And heck yeah Lindsay Lohan is fit lol

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 22:46
Do you have any sample syntax of Quikly 3D Pro?
Like what a command would be, or if I'm mistaken, then how will one programm with Q3DP?

Bush babies are funny little hermits disquised as rats.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 22:58 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:34
Its mostly drag and drop style game making so no coding is needed at all. It is written in, and also outputs to, DBPro code.

There is however a basic scripting system with which you can write your own AI, objectives etc, which is not all confirmed as I'm stremlining it to be as simple as possible. It'll consist of mostly of "when" style statements, ie "when player 1 is in red zone and has 10 coins then add 10 to score and load level 2"

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 23:15 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:34
WOW I just noticed I got a mention and link in the Newsletter! Thanks so much to Rich and anyone else who suggested this or helped it in, I'm honoured! Of course come the 15th I'll send TGC a free copy of the software and hopefully they can cover it in more detail or give away free copyies in competitions etc

Made my evening Rich, thanks!

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 01:14
You diserved it Roo!

Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
AWESOME! If only I had $50....
Well, I'll get it eventually.

The model editor is SO cool! And of course everything else. But for your scripting, it can't be "english syntax" if you know what I mean. Because every one writes in english (and types) differently, so you can'y really do that. But it couild have some sort of the FPSC syntax, ie contions and actions.

FORUM n00b THREAT LEVEL: ORANGE
Some thread revival/spam-Some bad grammar used, stupid questions or answers-No direct flaming
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 13:35 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:34
Bush baby : Tahnks

Evil Stick - Thanks the demo version will be usable and with no time restrictions for people who can't afford / don't want to buy it

The Example "English" syntax I wrote will work Essentially its like Basics "if then" statements but you can add conditions and extra functions to them as shown in the example, like when "something" is "in / touching / counter is higher than etc" "something else" the "do something" to "something" and "something" most peple won't want to write the script anyways as there will be wizards and clicking to write it for you - but its there to open and edit if you wish and I made it as close to proper english as possible so non-coders can understand it

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 15:37 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 15:37
You use a lot of emoticons!

You are not alone.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 15:59 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:34
lol yeah I do The reaons is I don't like the way text can be missinterpretted as it misses out the expression you can put in through your voice. I have often read text in forums that could be interpretted as a joke, and insult or even completely misunterpretted altogether. An emoticon goes a way to show how you feel about the statement you just made. It also makes your text appear friendlier - I hate the fact that sometimes when I get excited about things I can sound arrogant or like I think I'm superior or something - I really don't, probably quite the opposite in fact - I just like to look friendly

PLUS It probably doesn't help that I learned how to use the internet from a teenage californian girl in a yahoo chatroom - (seriously! about 6 years ago I'd just connected to the net on my home computer for the first time, had no idea how to use it or what for really, but I remembered using yahoo to search at school. I went to a chatroom on it, and this pm popped up saying a/s/l? I wrote something like "sorry I don't know what that means" and it said "lol ur cute " - it was only then I realised a human was on the other end - she actually talked me through everything about why the internet was cool and could be useful to my business and I learned a lot from her, we talked everyday for 3 months, and the next time we went to the states we met up and I bought her dinner for helping me That was in the good old days before chatrooms were full of spammers, affilaite ads and people pretending to be other people and wanting to "cyber" grr

Lol I've been typing for ages completely off topic - ok back on - um I've just had 3 new tft screens and a 160gb hdd delivered, so I'm gonna install them today and then carry on with Quikly - I'll post a proper update later

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 16:09 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 16:10
That was one heck of a reply! An interesting story too. It's cool that you met the girl that taught you about the internet. Very cool indeed.

Good luck with the thingie.

You are not alone.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 16:11 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:35
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 17:15
This is awesome news!! Its also great that it was in the newsletter as I would have totally missed out on it.

Im a complete beginner to programming and been using dbpro and a couple of months ago I had just given up. Not on db (it rocks!) but on me ever being able to learn to code something decent.

Now, "Quikly Game Studio Pro" .... "drag & drop style game making suite"... "different styles of games"..."output to dbpro code".... tail wagging,tongue dangling, drool all over the place. Im all excited again! WOOF!!

One of the reasons for my stumbling with coding is that I've been spoilt. My first foray into coding was with AMOS on the amiga (no I'm not that old...really!) but I moved on to the pc, with klik n' play all the way to multimedia fusion. So, yeah being sort of completely weaned on gui based game makers its hard to get the mindset for coding. Well for me at least.

I have been waiting years for something like this. I wanted to get 3D gamemaker but wasnt to sure, so I tried to get into DB. Then FPSC was announced and I went into a spiralling fit of ecstasy. Its on my shopping list, but QGSpro, man, dude, mate, is something I definitely want! Im a 3d artist so my enthusiasm is directed entirely at the game and level editor.

p.s. If you need any help with art/game assets I'm ever willing to contribute to the project.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 17:36
Hi 'Roo2

This looks to be coming along very well! I remember when this first started. If this is completed it'd be a momentous acheivement - well done.

[shameless plug]

You may want to consider my Lua plugin for allowing people to write the logic into their games. It would fit perfectly!

[/shameless plug]

"A book. If u know something why cant u make a kool game or prog.
come on now. A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 18:56 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 22:35
Joh - Wow thanks I'm sure this will do everything you want it too, especially as time goes by and I add new features (so much planned and started - all upgrades will be free for life )

Its nice to here your kind of response as to be honest thats the main market I was thinking of when I made it because I can totally relate to it. I too coded on the Amiga (and even c64, spectrum and PET before that) but on PC was spoilt by excellent 2d products such as Klick and play (I payed 400 pounds for the full royalty free version called Click and Create by Corel at the time) But then as 3d games started to get more advanced I hankered after better tools and bought Dark Basic classic.

I love Dark Basic and DBPro because they allow me to make cool 3d games, but to be honest - I hate programming! (Dodges tomatoes ) I've done it for 17 years, in almost ever major language and find the time it takes to make what I'm thinking of very frustrating, my imagination comes up with new game ideas everyday, but I can't code that fast. I started making Quikly Studio as Kangaroo2 studio about 4 years ago to simply help me develop games quicker for myself and have re-written the engine several times - I only really thought of it as a comercial project when I got offered a publishing deal a year or two ago by a major publisher... but that fell through, mostly because I decided I wanted to re-write the engine from scratch again to future proof it, including "new" things like real-time physics, shaders, lighting & shadowing etc. I've since decided to publish it myself in my own time, as a constant "work in progress" so that I can always be adding new features, and also stay in contact with the community of users and how they would like it to develop

[edit] just noticed you offered to help with art/media etc - thanks Once the 15th comes there'll be a community and resource site set up where you can upload models, textures etc for use with it, I'd really appreciate as many people as possible uploading their work to that once the time comes to help get the ball rolling

Wow I'm typing a lot today! I think its because my wife wants me to tidy and I'm putting it off

David T - Thanks man Yes I realise its a big task! I'm getting there slowly

As for Lua - yes you mentionned it before and I've been meaning to properly check it out - to be honest I know very little about lua script but have heard of some pretty major games using it for modding so that entices me [next part editted out as I have now answered my own question ] I'll check it out soon

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 00:27
Quote: "I hate programming! (Dodges tomatoes ) "

Throws the tomatoes back provoking the angry mob with sarcastic comments and facial expressions

To be honest, programming is not my thing, most people throught me off with the terminology, and to think I'm learning C# and C++ but my creative side, wants me to create.

Good thing you're making this app really

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:04 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 01:05
Hey I love programming, and this is still gonna be fun.
It would be a very good thing for slapping together an idea, seeing if it would be a good game. Then that export to DBpro code feature would allow one to enhance and advance their idea.
I LOVE IT!

Quote: " "

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:24
Sepuku - I feel the same way I am VERY creaive and compuer is the best way for me to se taht, IE I use it to make music, artwork, cartoons (cell drawn ad 3d) and games/interactive worlds. The fact that I actually hate computers (mostly due to instability, need to constantly upgrade, and being stuck infront of screens all day) is neither here nor there, i like way they allow me to do wth relitively little time and money

Bush Baby - Thats awesome, thanks

Yay these kinds of good comments really show me a product like this is needed and spur me on to carry on

I haven't upgraded to 5.9 yet, planning on doing that tomorrow morning, I hope that doesn't cause problems...

Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
I can also dowizard things like to make a game, not just a level. Only it will be a seperate exe.

FORUM n00b THREAT LEVEL: ORANGE
Some thread revival/spam-Some bad grammar used, stupid questions or answers-No direct flaming
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 02:27
not entirely sure I understood what you meant, but :

Yes I will (eventually) build wizards to make games practically for you, and;
Yes you can output your games to an exe file with media etc in a model or pak file OR dbpro code and export it yourself and;
Yes you can build games as large as you wish with as many levels as you wish

Hopefully one of those answers what you meant? Apologie if I misunderstood

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 02:33
Quote: "Bush Baby - Thats awesome, thanks
"

You're the awesome one.

Quote: "Bush Babez: Yep, he's mad. And I'm the reason. He must be jealous of my 14 byte save file. *crawls back into hole in ground*"

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 13:17
lol thanks - I'm just glad to hear people want to use these tools as I inetnded / envisioned - kinda makes it feel worth while

Anyway lots of work to do today, will post a proper update tonight

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 15:00
I can't wait for the update.

Quote: "Bush Babez: Yep, he's mad. And I'm the reason. He must be jealous of my 14 byte save file. *crawls back into hole in ground*"

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 19:24
Well this project is almost as good as your sigs! Lol!
If and when you finish this, which I have no doubt you will, it will be one hell of an acheivement!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 23:56 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 00:41
Bushbaby : Thanks
Andrew - Glad u like my sigs - plenty more to come, both Tiff related and more comics And yeah its a huge project, but hopefully enough people will find it useful enough to keep me going at it

Semi Update:
I have a feeling its going to be a long night... I set myself targets of certain things to do by certain days and I'm slightly falling behind, but I'm gonna stay up tonight and catch up

I upgraded to 5.9 and only had one real problem with that, a small graphical glitch but I've fixed that now

I've "wasted" about 3 hours completely restructuring the code to make it more readble and also more efficient, hopefully this will help, initially the modeller code was very slapdash and random as I was learning from trial and error as I made it Its certainly better now, and should help me be able to pinpoint problems and fix them quicker, also compile times should be a lot lower Its all split neatly down now into subroutines and functions, and placed in several themed dba files, before it was a 5000+ line single file for the model edittor

I have 5 simple models I want to get made up tonight, I have the textures all ready for them. Trouble is the save function is proving slightly more akward than it should be and I don't want to spend ages perfecting the models to get a nice screenshot only to then have to loose them when I turn the pc ff So essentially I'm working hard on save & load formats. If I can get them sorted by tonight I'll build the models and post screenies as a kind of reward for myself If not then I'll have to post them tomorrow. Anyway - wish me luck, I'm off to make Coffee

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 01:58
I'll experiment with saving 3D objects created in DB and see if I can help.

I masted character data for games, but not objects.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 02:40
Bush baby - thanks But its not getting it to load the exported object into dbpro thats the problem, its the "uncompiled" format using my own model format that I am having trouble with. I'm certainly getting there though basically it has to tell it where every box is, how big it is, 6 textures, full uv data for each of those, rotation etc etc etc - its quite simple in theory, just very time consuming to set up the format properly, but once its done its done

I'm getting there, slowly

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 02:56
Hm sounds alot more complicated than I just tryed.
My model didn't even save correctly

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 02:59
Well I must be going for tonight... good luck!

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 04:23 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 04:28
Thanks

Lol yeah its pretty heavy stuff! But the good news is once I get it right, it'll all be automatic, and so simple a monkey could do it

Its 3:30 and I'm flagging (not as young as I used to be ) Oh well I got quite close tonight anyways - it saves the shape accurately in everything but zdepth, and looses some of the uv scaling - but its close enough for me to go to bed knowing I can finish it easily (ish) tomorrow

So, before bed, I decided to start a weapon, a generic pistol/handgun - I think it looks pretty good so far (10 minutes work, then saved and reloaded it, hense why the front view is messed up and the textures are not great!)

Still looks pretty good though right? Humour me i'm knackered and want to go to bed

[edit] in case anyone's interested its 16 boxes, so 192 tris or 576 verts - looks nice for so low poly I reckon I can make it better though

Cheers, will update again tomorrow, Sam

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 14:44
That's a very good looking pistol.
And you say that's the saved and loaded version?
That's very cool, now it just has some ikkle bugs.
They won't be too hard for you to work out, you're one hell of a coder.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 16:58
Looks cool.

So im looking at the screens. When you model, its by connecting boxes and reshaping them, and its grid based (or can be)right? Somewhat like legos? With the extra vert pulling bits of course. Reminds me of a proprietry tool I used awhile back on job. Unfortunately it got canned. But yeah if it works they way I think it does, sweeeet. Yeah trully unique, but oh so fast to create things!!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 17:29
If that is 10 minutes work then I'd probably buy this just for the modeller! Great work!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 17:47 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 23:31
Bush Baby - Thanks And no I seriously doubt I'm that great a coder, especially compared to some people on these boards, just blummin patient, I'm determined not to give up on this one

Andrew - Thanks! Yup, literally ten minutes, could quite easily have been less than that but I was fussy about detailing on the 2 back extrusions, without them would have been 5 Its really very simple once you get used to it

[edit] I'm mostly dealing with adding little features at the moment, which will all help in making it more useful. This is my list of things I want to get done, will "tick" them off via edit as I do them - just to help my thought process

Can zoom in and out in all views with mouse scroll wheel [edit: done]
Can turn on or off the reference grids individually (x,y,z) [edit: done]
Can turn on or off wireframe view [edit: done]

(Am taking an hour or so's break, gotta list some stuff on ebay for a friend )

Can turn on or off lighting view [edit: done]
Can hide selected boxes, and then show all [edit: kinda done]

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 18:24
Oh neat, similar to GTK Radiant for Q3.

|| Bush Babies are funny little hermits, disguised as rats. ||
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 19:43
Joh - Sorry I only just noticed your post - dunno why!
"Looks cool." thanks

"When you model, its by connecting boxes and reshaping them, and its grid based (or can be)right? Somewhat like legos? With the extra vert pulling bits of course." - Absolutely, thats exactly how it works It makes it even simpler too as the controls adjust themselves to the camera angle too, so UP is always up according to the screen not the model etc.

"But yeah if it works they way I think it does, sweeeet. Yeah trully unique, but oh so fast to create things!!"
Yep you got it spot on VERY fast VERY easy

Bush Baby - I haven't used Radiant for years, but yeah from what I remember, similar functions. But this is so much easier

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 20:22 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 20:22
I love Radiant, how can anything be easier

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 22:54 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 23:32
lol sorry I wasn't slagging it off - I used it for a while and had fun But honestly, this is easier

Hmm right finsihed ebay crud, now I got 45mins to do what I can before I have to watch a film with the missus b4 bed

[edit] right - film time. Been fixing lighting errors, and tsorting a gui for the advanced tool bit. Also got all the above functions I've done today intergrated into the menu and working as they should

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 01:05 Edited at: 5th Dec 2005 01:06
I was being sarcastic about Radiant
Radiant is a pain in some areas.
Sorry if I couldn't reply earlier, my parents took over the computer
Nice progress today too
Now I should go work out the battle system for my project

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:32:39