Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Helios, a complete and frantic retrofest. < kill stuff at the speed of thought >

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 03:24 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 23:25
Hey all,

It's a new game for you all to play, it's pretty fast and frantic stuff just like it was back in the 80's arcade. Play it with the kays, play it with a Joypad or play it with an X-Arcade controller for a real retro feel.

UPDATED VERSION V1.2 is uploaded, includes more fire buttons, nicerer graphics and saves your high score. nice.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the game, here area couple of screenies first.

and the file of happiness
http://members.thegamecreators.com/geecee3/programs/heliosgame.zip

well, thanks again folks and have fun. Grant.

Ohd Chinese Ploverb say : Wise Eskimo, not eat yerrow snow.
Mono
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW!
That is really brilliant!

And it's running very well on my AMD1200 & Ati9600!

Thanks for this masterpiece,
MONOS
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 11:04 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 11:57
Oh well, maybe I should try and see if I cann beat level 7....

hehe

[EDIT]:

YAY! I came to level 8! And my new highscore is 270445

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:04
@Mono, Thanks m8, it was a lot of fun making and testing it...mostly. I'm glad to hear about it running fairly well on 1.2 Gz processors. That means I might not have to rip too much out for the low end version after all, and may actually mean I can release a version with more graphical niceness for the faster pc owners

@Nerd, looks like you have the highest score so far. Try to beat 355,060 - level 9, but then I have been playing it for a while, and that was on the cursor keys and spacebar.

Thanks, Grant.

PS. I plan to re-write a portion of the engine for an R-TYPE or DARIUS stlye game in the future. Also if your wondering why my games seem to be very big, it's because they are heavy on the media and the code uses massive amounts of redundancy.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:31
this is awesome

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 12:17
Wicked !!

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 17:28
thanks, I'm glad you guys are really liking it.

Pleasing you lot is the only real payback I get from making these games. I do play them myself on occasion, but now I find myself constantly at my computers making stuff. If only I could turn this into some kind of business or other so I didn't have to do a REAL job, that would be nice. then i could make even more stuff. heaven.

thanks again, Grant.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 04:53
You could make more stuff, true, but then minors like myself would have to bother our parents about using their credit cards to buy games and such. Unless you wanted to be nifty and allow people to send cash by mail.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 15:27
heh, when i say business, i mean things like sponsorship etc. I would like my games to stay free, i don't want anyone to have to pay to play, but i would just like to make enough money to survive on and allow me to give up my day job so I can concentrate on making games, I'd never dream of asking you lot to part with cash for my games. I put more than a months solid work into a game. TGC have already made my life a bit easier by hosting all the stuff I make, It would just be nice to be able to make this my main job even if it won't make me rich. I think the inclusion of sponsor logo's and non intrusive adverts could be the way forward. If i was doing this with a level of sponsorship that could support me, I rekon i could make around 6 - 7 games of this type per year at least. My head is bursting with ideas and new games to make, there just ain't enough time to make them and hold down a job same time

thanks, grant.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 16:41
YAY. Somebody sponsor him NOW!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 07:07
Good to know that someone can make pretty looking games on here.

Nyaah! I shall blast this GeForce FX card into submission! Die slow Pixel-Shader 2.0 support!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
v. good game, u are on top 2 of my favor games in dbp

Just. ...Leave me alone =/
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 15:07
@GogetaX

heh, thanks man. you made my day.

I must be doing something right

BTW i'm updating the game at the moment with some extra graphics to take it closer to the helios rise demo. no difference in gameplay, just more niceness, it can be turned off though if it bogs the game down by pressing a key. I'm also thinking of adding support for multiple resolutions and colour depths.

cheers, Grant.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:40
Hi mateys!

I'm here to bring my new highscore YAY!

It's 414040 - level 7

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

-The Nerd

here
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 19:04
Helios Mehness - Sounds like a town from the Lord of the Rings

Great game gc, very fun

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 23:18
Argh!! How'd you make such a great reto game!? ...

Is the backround 3D? The game has amazing graphics.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 00:47 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 23:29
cheers for that bizar guy

I'll be posting an updated version soon, but the game is finished....honest.

thanks, Grant.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 10:59 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 11:01
Me want teh new version!

Good job mate

Quote: "Is the backround 3D? The game has amazing graphics."

I did not make the game, so please correct me if i'm wrong Geecee, but I would like to guess that it's somekind of 2D parallex scrolling background?

here
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 11:23
YAY!
This game is fantastic!
Altough, it´s too hard for me... I suck at gaming.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 13:36
@The Nerd

I thought so at first too, but if you look carefully, you can tell that each hill is very 3D - Correct me if I'm wrong too btw

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 17:33
hi guys,

the entire game is made in 3d, even the score display and messages are in 3d. the true 3d nateure of the landscape helps take it beyond the scope of 2d parallax as the FOV induces an natural prespective shift in the hills as they slide accross the screen. Many people thought the landscape was layerd sprites in parallax, but a quick mess about with the routines and you could fly into or through the landscape, but i'll mabey leave that for another game in the future

thanks, Grant.

PS there are just another couple of things i want to change then i'll upload the newer version with the enhanced graphics.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 22:13
I got a feature you could put in the game. I love the surviving mode, were you just fly around and try to survive all those crazy enemies coming through you. Maybe you could make it so that there was a whole section of the game called "Surviving Mode". You would need to survive as long as you could, and the only way to get a highscore would be to kill the enemies. No timer, the game would end when you died(and you should only have 1 live). Then when you returned to the main menu, you would see both the highscore for the normal mode, and the surviving mode below

Just an idea.

Also I got problems with the highscore when you start the game
When I got that big highscore and returned to the main menu, it was there. Then I quit the game, and start it up again, and now it's gone! And instead of my newest and highest highscore, it just shows the old one

-The Nerd

here
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 22:51
Thats not a problem, thats a feature :p

The game has a default high score that gets specified during the variabe setup. I don't like writing files to other peoples puters, that's just me being me though.

Lets assume for a minute that retro games are running on systems from around 1985 and that to save a high score would rquire you to find a blank tape and record the score on that from the tape deck hooked up to your computer, and every time you got a high score you had to repeat the process. Now lets assume you have a little notebook called high scores.........everyone should have one of those.

the idea for the 'survival mode' is quite cool, but like i said, the game is finished as far as coding goes. I have a new project running now and the only modifications to the helios source will be if I need to fix bugs that effect gameplay. (i am still poking around with portions of the engine that are suited to other games though, so expect another shooter and mabey a platformer of this flavour in the not too far off future. Those will follow on from graphics demo's similar to the helios rise demo but with new environments and themes )

thanks, Grant.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 00:18
Great game!

Christmas is a busy time for me so not had a lot of time on computer. Will have more time to play over next few days.

Only 'problem' so far is where you have selected spacebar as fire button. Lots of keyboards do not allow diagnal movement and firing at same time if using spacebar, that's why ctrl or shift is used instead. Up-Right and fire works but none of other diagnals and fire works which is most frustrating.

I look forward to future updates.

Boo!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 00:45
I myself don't have any problems.. I normally play the game by holding space down constantly while flying around
I myself hate using the shift key... If I hit it fast 5 times in a row I get that annoying stickykey window showing... And I have not disabled it Control is fine.. But i'm happy enough with the spacekey since my keyboard apparently allow me moving and firing at the same time.. Although I can see it being frustrating Geecee3, what about include a ini file were the user would be able to change the firekey etc? Or just all the keys you use for controlling.

here
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 23:28
hi spooky,

hopefully the keyboard problem shoud now be fixed, I found it varies from keyboard to keyboard. I added both CTRL and SHIFT keys to the fire list as well as Z, X, and C. it works on my horrible labtec keyboard now too , and specially for nerd I added high score saving.

thanks, Grant

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 04:07
It's the mutts nuts Grant. You know it's something special when you keep going back to play it again and again.

Any plans for online high scores in the future, for this or other games? Just curious.

sheep (I love)
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 09:52
Quote: "and specially for nerd I added high score saving."

Awwwwww, thank you

here
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 11:37
Hi Soapyfish, I'm glad you like the game m8

If High scoring online is what you all want then i'll see what i can do about it, I don't think i have MySQL capability on my site, i'll have to check with Rich. If i do then i'll enlist some expert help and get an highscore system up and running for this game and any others I make.

Thanks, Grant.

Ps. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 12:17 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 12:24
It ran once for me then seams to crash my pc any idea why?

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 13:05
sorry m8, i ain't got a clue.

I gave the source to mouse after it would not run on his pc, it won't even run when he compies it, i suspect a driver problesm of some sort, or a messed DX installation or something like that, It's like asking why HL2 won't run on mu brother's computer. it has all the best of bits, but just won't play it :/

some things are just unexplainable m8.

cheers, grant.

PS, i never even ran into a compiler problem when i was making this game, and it has never crashed on me so i'm at a complete loss :/

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 13:53
ok i'll keep trying

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 15:21
I know for a fact that it's machine specific problems some peope are having as another problem has cropped up and the keyboard issues just goes to show all pc's are not really the same. On one computer it would not run, reporting missing media, then all of a sudden started working. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the executable, it's the machine it's running on. It compiles on 3 computers here with no problems at all, and plays perfect on them too once it's compiled, zipped and re-extracted. a borked program that crashes a computer due to bad programmng would crash most computers, not just a couple.

thanks, grant.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 16:45
my pc specs:
pentium 3 667mhz
256mb ram
dx 9c
ati radeon 9250 pro
dvd rw
cd
xp pro 2003

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 19:31
Oh dear, I hat touted 1.5Gz and a fast 3d card for this game, i tried it with a 9250 (128mb) plugged into an athlon 64 and the game glitched like mad at 1024x768x32 but played like a dream at 640x480x16 . playing it on a 667Mhz P3 will be like not playing it at all. I have the feeling that you are running into some sort of memory issue when the game is loading. your system is already grossly underpowered for this game as it is. Basically m8, i'm not surprised it fell to bits on you.

I would recommend upgrading to at least 512 mb RAM with a processor at least twice as fast if at all possible.

I cant afford the time to look into bugs that seem to be affecting technology thats at least three generations old. it could be anything :/

thanks, Grant.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like this game. I particually like the effect of the ship turning around. It is really awesome!

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 22:02
Any chance of finding out how many lines of code it took? Just out of curiosity.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 23:31 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 23:38
Hi Soapyfish,

I can safely say that its 7500 lines in length, although there is rarely more than 1 command on a line. Another seceret i'll share with everyone is this : Helios is not just a game, It's a stress test with 3 game engines running in parallel, there is 3 of almost every major routine in the game being executed during play. this has allowed me to estimate that I can have at least twice as much going on in an optimised engine for the same game, however helios will not be updated any further as i have had an idea for a game that i hope to hell i can pull of the way i imagine it would actually work. Another stupidly simple concept for a game but played in such a way that with luck, should be one of the fastest games you will play on your pc never mind one of the fastest DBP games. I'll give away no more other than the project name for now. It's called JUNO ACCELERATOR. and the title should suggest just how fast it is going to be. And it'll be a shooter like no other i know of . After what I have learned making this game, the power of DBP is grossly underestimated by a lot of people using it. If you do it right, you can get a lot of bang for your buck in code terms.

Thanks, Grant.

PS. i'll obviously update it if any bugs arise, or if i think of a feature i think should have been in the first release but was overlooked, or just not thought of fast enough to make it into the game.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 01:42
What can I say--- an amazing work of art. If I had 25% of the coding skill as you I wouldn't take so long to release cool games

I haven't figured out how to do many of the snazzy effects you have going there--- those beams of blue light coming from the UFO for example--- although I've never read up on special effects yet.

Great work! I could see this running in the Xbox 360 Live Arcade

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 15:08
heh, Hi Jeku.

I'm glad you like it m8, it was a blast to make (well i did have to playtest it too many times

If your interested in poking about to see how i done some of the stuff I'll link you to the project files and media, just holler .I'ts a lot easier than you think and most of the effects need very little code to support them, it's all in the media.

Thanks, Grant

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 00:15
I'd love this game if the camera would move a little more. It's too centred on the player ship and I can't see things coming very easily. I would've had the camera move to the side the player ship is facing so the ship was about 1/3 or 1/4 away fro the edge of the screen.

Graphics are great, but the landscapes look a little repeated like each hill is a separate mesh and they just move sideways a bit like you're tiling them together. Works well though and it's a nice effect, that is how you did it, right?

Don't look at me like that!
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 01:14
Hi Avan,

yeah, processing a realtime landscape would have been too stressfull and complete overkill for the game in general so the hills are just tiled together like you said, the landscape is fully optomised though with a recuction in polyount and texture size at the different depths. Adding more tiles would have been an easy exersise but the filesize and style of game did not warrant that amount of media. If it was a scrolling shooter with various locational levels and if the game was 5 'worlds' in size, we would be looking at over 100MB of graphical media for the levels alone. I actually wanted to make this a multi world game, but that would mean long downloads and a big bandwidth bill for TGC for what is in essence a 8 bit style retro game.

The player has a small amount of dynamic movement, It used to be more pronounced but the feeling of backing into objects was a distraction and basically made it too hard to judge your path through a collection of baddies if you altered your speed, I also tried fixed locations for each direction, but it also made the game to one sided by things appearing too quick behind you, so I stuck with the masters choice and kept it as close to dropzone as possible and have only minor player shifting. I also experimented with the camera moving to new locations depending on the speed of the player but it made everything feel a bit washy in the movement and controllability department I might add an option for this if any bugs crop up that I need to fix.

Thanks, Grant.

Christopher Reeves
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 15:15
Wow, what a great game man! I am really impressed by the graphics and gameplay! I didn't do very well the first time, but the second time I think I did better. I'm not going to tell you my score simply because I'm a little embarrased. Anyway, I think this has replaced Solitare on my system. I hope to see you improve this game by adding more levels and spacecrafts! Keep up the good work!=)
Moggie100
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:14
*Drumroll* after a 2-hour continous session (1 single very long game) i've managed a high score of...

At level 53 (it says level 50 in the shot - but it stops at level 50 and keeps playing 50 until you die)

And I challenge anyone to beat it
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:16
cooool nice score

Moggie100
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:22 Edited at: 4th Jan 2006 18:31
*dances*

yes, i have no life but i'm a coder - so that doesnt matter
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:30
lol everyone on tgc has a life

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
nice photoshop, i mean uh... what hax did you use?

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:58 Edited at: 4th Jan 2006 18:59
news just in, i beat moggies score:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Moggie100
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 20:08
omgwtfbbq - hax I tells ya hax!