Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Music in games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all...

First of all congrats for a great website and forum! I'm no game programmer/designer, but it is interesting just the same.

The purpose for subscribing and posting in the forum is this: I am a musician and composer and I would like to be involved, even voluntarily, by composing music and other requested sounds in new games being developed. I know that this may sound stupid, since I'm offering it for free, but this is a new thing for me, and I would like to gain practical experience while helping game creators acquire newly composed music for their games.

What do you think? Do you require music in your games?

If you are interested, please contact me or reply in this forum. I can send some jingles that I composed for radio programmes and for television quiz shows just to have an idea.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Antonio
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 18:23
I'm sure you'll be welcome! There's always somebody around who needs music in their game

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 17:59
Wow a very generous offer there mate. Welcome to the forums !
I'll be very supprised if you are not inundated with requests shortly so a wee tip if i may be so foreward; but please pick projects to help based on their potential. Many requests you will get will be for games that may never make it to be showed to others due various reasons, including the people coding being underskilled.
Not a criticism to your judgement or to the people who will doubtless ask for your help but I've seen a good number of kind people end up in projects that never come to the light of day.

That said, all the best mate, wish I needed some music but I'm making a fan game and the music is ripped from the original.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 00:13
Greetings, fellow music nerd! Hope you enjoy your stay here, and yes, there's always a project around here that needs some music...

What kind of setup do you have? I'm currently on -

software:
Reason 3 (all da time)
fl 6 (rarely)
modplug tracker (rarely)

hardware:
m-audio controller, 49 keys
bcf2000

And starting by doing free projects is the best way to get started, that way everybody gets to know you and your style and know if they want to haul out the cash when you go pro

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 00:33
welcome Antonio!
i might need some techno style/medival music but thanks for this wonderfull offer bro!
and welcome to the forums

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 05:53
Hi Antionio, I'm a musician as well. I'd be interested in hearing your work, just for kicks and giggles, do you have a showcase site or something?

I'm going to eat you!
Antonio
Years of Service
User Offline
Baggers... thanks for the suggestion... I thought about that and it obviously makes sense. I already worked on projects that never saw the light of day, and I know the feeling. We have a saying in Malta, though, that is roughly translated as "things that don't kill you make you stronger".

Hawkeye: in terms of hardware/software needed for music to be inserted in games, I think I may need some direction. My end product is usually a .wav file (which can be compressed to an MP3) - and I don't know if that is OK for gamers. I work with Cakewalk, Adobe Audition (if MIDI is not needed much), and/or with FL studio depending on the style of recording/music needed. A combination of these programmes is usually the best (like for example... create a loop with FL, work with some MIDI in Cakewalk and then print everything to WAV to insert them into Audition in order to add guitars & vocals & mix). I know that my way of doing things is sometimes a bit long-winded, but I always try to make the programmes do the things that I have in mind (insted of rehashing the same cliches/presets of each programme). In terms of hardware, I have a roland module, keyboard, loads of effects and 3 guitars Ah yes, and my brain and my hands... the two things that I won't do anything without

Bear CDP... I am currently working on my website, but in the mean time you can listen to http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=429775 - particularly 'The end of time' and 'The link'. I also have loads of jingles which I composed for TV and radio. If anyone is interested, you can contact me by email and I will reply back with some samples.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 01:45
ogg offers the best compression imho, but mp3 is a lot more popular. .wav is definately out

oh, and your system sounds fine nothin' wrong with shifting stuff around like that, if I had my way I'd export all my audio tracks to cubase and mix and master them there. 'couse, it'd help if I had cubase

and congrats on getting in the newsletter

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Antonio
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks If you have time, kindly check out the thread named Situational Game Music (2nd round?), where you will find recently composed piece of music.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 07:49
Wow, "The End of Time" is gorgeous. I'm listening to "The Link" right as I'm typing this, and man, the synth line really soars with the pad and guitar. Awesome!

I'm going to eat you!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 20:40
Quote: "What do you think? Do you require music in your games?

If you are interested, please contact me or reply in this forum. "

I am interested.
WAV format is fine.
I need music of a Dark Nature. (EVIL/SCARY)
My next project is a Sci-Fi, so futuristic techno would suit.
The last musician I worked with gave me royalty free music in exchange for credits in the game.
He did not compose originals for me, I simply selected from his available work.
Let me know what you think about those, or other arrangements.
Thanks

Whatever you can imagine, you can animate. --- Walt Disney
All too easy. --- Darth Vader
Just do it! --- Nike
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 23:18
Yea, FINALy! Free music/SFX! How bout some fast pased stuff with a good beat for a snowboarding game? Kinda like overseer's screw up?

Thanks,
=ChrisB=
Antonio
Years of Service
User Offline
BearCDP: Thanks for the kind comments... I appreciate it a lot!

Conjured Entertainment: Is the Dark Nature and the futuristic techno the same project or are they different ones? I would rather work on the evil/scary thing if I had to choose. Obviously if you like anything from www.soundclick.com/antonioolivari, just tell me and I will send you the whole mp3.

ChrisB: I will get back to you after the weekend - I'm not that knowledgable about snowboarding games!

Thanks a lot.
Antonio
Antonio
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all... especially Conjured Entertainment & ChrisB - I hope that I find you well....

the reason that I didnt reply back is that I havent received a confirmation/reply from you. In the mean time I have been really busy, and I worked on some interesting projects. Thanks to The Game Creators and the 'appeal' in the newsletter, some people contacted me by email and I managed to see what they want in terms of music and compose it for them. If anyone wants to contact me in that way, just feel free.

Thanks again,
Antonio

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:48:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:48:05