Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Compiler Compusize

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 18:09 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 18:10
By clicking this thread, you have now enrolled on my Compiler Compusize programme. What you will need is the following:

-A DarkBasic app that takes at least 15 seconds to compile and fully load
-A set of dumbells
-A clear floor area next to your desk
-A very basic level of fitness

--Step(1)--
Begin work on your fairly heafty darkbasic application. Run the app frequently to avoid complex bug searching.

--Step(2)--
On initial compiles, do 10 arm curl reps with your dumbell on your right arm. If the compile takes long enough, do 10 reps with your left arm too. Use the technique where you stay seated, lean forwards, and hang the arm you're working between your legs, while resting your weight on your other arm on one of your knees.
(Repeat process for 8 code compiles, or 4 if working both arms per compile)

--Step(3)--
Stand up before you hit F5 to save time. As you hit F5, throw yourself to the ground like a rabid dog and do 10 press-ups. If you can't do 10 press ups, do 10 girls press-ups (i.e. on your knees, rather than balancing on your toes). Make sure nobody is looking first. Repeat for 4 compiles.

--Step(4)--
As before, stand up before hitting F5. Then get down and gimme 10 sit ups! Double this number if you have time. If you think you're going to puke at this stage, you can do girly sit ups. If you can't keep your feet on the ground then slide your toes underneath something heavy like an anvil and continue. Do this for 2-4 compiles, depending on the amount of lactic acid you can taste in your stomach.

--Step(5)--
Go back to step one, or add your own super fast exercise. Repeat until the application is done, or you get bored, or you get fit!

The positives:
-Feel better about spending all day in front of the computer.
-Kid yourself into thinking you're actually getting fit.
-Add a dose of excitement to programming.
-Get a groin strain at the computer for a legitimate reason for a change.

Enroll today people. I did. Just make sure you remember there is a dumbell at your feet, so you dont suddenly stretch out your legs and shatter your toes. Don't worry, I still have 3 toes left, and they were my best ones anyway.

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
I don`t need any exercise! I spend all day rolling a mouse and pressing keys for gawds sake! what do you want? blood?

Windows: 32 bit extension/graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit OS originally coded for a 4bit CPU, written by a 2bit company that can't stand 1bit of competition, now available in 64bits.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 19:58
hehe. Hell yes! But on a more serious note, it's actually quite a cool way to do those press-ups, sit-ups, weights etc. I mean to do but never get round to. Compiler Compusize is the future, I tell you!

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 03:40
I don't have any DBP apps that take more than 15 seconds to compile.
My Dreamcast emulator, however, can take up over 20 minutes to compile with MSVC (full recompile, which I barely ever do anyway). Enough time for a nap... I'm coding at 1AM so there's no way I'm gonna do all that exercise.

DC emulator code size: 9MB. Compiled: 4MB.
Overall Status: 20% done. CPU: 80% (no floats), RAM: 10%, GFX: 0%
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 04:17
I wrote a program that simulates all that excercise, so now I don't have to do it.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 10:44
Ahh well. It's a passing fad anyway. I've discovered that after a certain amount of arm curls, mouse pointer precision drops by about 50%. Not good when you're trying to click the Save As button instead of the Save button.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:08:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:08:28