Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dog Fighters 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 20:49 Edited at: 25th Feb 2006 14:54
EDIT

Download Here!
Version 0.15

http://www.hybridwolves.co.uk/downloads/demo2.zip

Originally based of Dog Fighters,
http://www.ophyr.nl/df/Dogfighters.html

I've recently contacted the original auther and we've decided to work on the game together making it a full 3d flight game (based of the old star fox game) Using a template I had already created for a mini-game within Armoured dragon i've decided to go ahead in making this into a full Game.

Story:
You can work between 3 main characters depending on which mission your on. Your mission isn't the ordinary save the world, but mainly a selfish reason to gain money.

Different weapons can be gained for further progress within the game.

Any Suggestions much appreciated, i've also created an online blog for the game updates on hybridwolves forums, including a picture section...

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 20:51
Looking cool

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice site, nice game play
but:
1) the main menu is a lil bit buggy. the FPS is decreased in sudden
2) how come "Dogs" and "space ship" is connected to each other?!
3) errr.. its kinda hard to kill the enemyes, dont you think so?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 22:17
Jeez dude, how do you keep all these projects running

Excellent stuff, only two real complaints -
My ship stopped dead in the water when the two baddys came up.
Frikkin' hard to aim properly, somehow the aiming in starfox was a lot easier. Possibly just the small targets, tho'.

Pretty cool nontheless, keep it up

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 02:28 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 16:43
3ds Master
Thanks but you could be a bit more descriptive when it comes to constructive-criticism

GogetaX
1) "the main menu is a lil bit buggy" granted, i still have to finish the menu, and i'm also working on the second mission 'Asteroid field'

"the FPS is decreased in sudden" hmm during the first mission? just when the enemies appear? or when the conversation system appears?

2) The word dog Fight originated from two airplanes battling it out with each other, it's a futuristic sorta twist to the name

3) The enemies that take a while to die are sort of mini-boss's, the main enemy in other missions shall be the 'Drones' literally hundreds of them and each shall die with 1 hit, the mission you played was merely a training mission to get the feel of the how the ship maneuvers

Any enemies with health over their heads = mini-boss's / boss's

Hawkeye
Quote: "Jeez dude, how do you keep all these projects running"

Managing time techniques , but currently i've finished up all my other software requests by my clients, giving me more time to work with dark basic classic. Well until i need more money

I got out my old snes to try out star fox again, it didn't even have an aim cursor, might take mine out

The ship stops when baddies are in-countered in the training mission, as they are stationary. Aside from that in future 'missions' the ship shall always be moving aside from when you die .

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 15:34 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 15:35
New Screenie of the asteroid field

I'm thinking about adding a small amount of drones to this level not to sure though.. maybe save them for later.

*Thinks for an hour* yea i'll add some drones put in some fancy noises and wolla and hopefully release a fully working demo of the asteroid field

I'd do it all today but sadly I must go to work it should be released before March for sure

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hmm during the first mission? just when the enemies appear? or when the conversation system appears?"

in the main menu.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 17:29
Looks nice. I'm making a dog fighter; 4 player but any number of them can be AI. I'll try the demo and see if there anywhere near the same thing.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 23:28
looking awesome not downloaded demo (Yet)

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 02:11
I've played the demo, and I agree; Those "mini bosses" are pains in the butt. If their projectiles had a bit less homing capabilites, maybe. But I was pounded as it was. Food for thought?

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 04:45
Why is it so hard to dodge those enemy bullets? They always home in and hit me. Also, I can't seem to lower the enemy HP at all.

There's also the inevitable glitchy looking water problem, but that's a problem with DB Classic.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 15:45 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2006 16:22
GogetaX, i'll pre-load the 2 versions of the menu buttons, then it 'should' in theory fix that problem

andrew neale -> good luck with your 'dog fighter' style game, i don't believe i've tried / seen your game yet *will search forum later when i have some time*

3ds Master -> (Yet to receive constructive critisum)

Flindiana Jones -> i've turned down their bullets accuracy rating ^-^ it was set at 80% now down to 50% so they can be dodged with ease.

FoxBlitzz -> the enemy bullets as i've stated above, then there's the glitchy water Truely i'm trying to think of ways of fixing this but as of yet no luck. hmm UNLESS ooo idea i could re-create the water as a seperate object but it would have to be perfectly alligned with the level object... i shall try my best ^-^

{EDIT} THANKS FOXBLITZZ WOHOO i re-did the water cause of your comment and it works ^-^ The water has been fixed, plus it opened up a few other ideas for water effects hmm ^-^

Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 21:20
Could you change the aiming to be controlled by the mouse?
Your game looks really funky, but on my computer (dell 2400) which has an awfull graphics card, the sides of the water are extremley jagged and pixelated. is that the glitch mentoned above.
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 22:10
Yes, even on my expensive graphics card (512MB ATI Radeon X1800 XT), I'm getting the jagged water. It's a problem with DarkBASIC Classic because of its poor Z-buffer precision. DBPro fixes the problem, but you don't use DBPro, Sephiro, do you?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 15:36 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 15:51
In version 0.2 which will be released on monday, it has the fixed water, and all other bugs mentioned fixed.

Shadow Coderer -> I'll get on the mouse movement system now, and it shall be released for version 0.2

{Edit} now have the mouse movement system ready for version 0.2

FoxBlitzz nope, i'm using dark basic classic, i'm thinking about getting dark basic pro maybe after this project when it is finished, then convert it over. Or I may try my hand at "OGRE"

Thanks again people for the constructive-criticism it is much appreciated.

Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:12
Nice one!
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:48 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 17:49
Quick Update:

Fixed water problem
Added water FX, as shown in screenie (a water splash from the river if you can see it )

Any suggestions are welcomed, i'll even try get them done before the next release

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:52
ok constructive crit time
Not all pc's support .fx shaders

Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:52
Can i just say, i love the art style with the bluey sky and water effects! Also the particle effects are damn good as well.
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 18:02 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 18:41
Quote: "Not all pc's support .fx shaders"

3ds Master -> I'm not using shaders, I'm using old school techniques to create decent effects. That reminds me I still have to add a lens flare effect.

{Edit} Might add shadows for version 0.2 or 0.3 depending on how much time i have tommorow

Shadow Coderer -> Thanks, as some of you may know i re-use some of my material from previous games, that sky being from FS: ParaTroopers it saves time, I hope to keep hearing more from you guys, especially when version 0.2 comes out. I'm trying to keep the game as user-friendly as possible so I seem to require lots of feed-back.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 20:12
Looks to be as good gameplay as the original StarFox but with much improved graphics! Nice job!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 03:53
very nice game. 2 suggestions though: Need an attack other than lazer shot, like a missle or bomb (mabey you could have attacks like those old top-down scrolling games, you stared off with a bomb then got more and more upgrades untill you had like the ultamite weapon). Also I don't think you should stop when the enemy's appear. I know you don't want to make an infinatly long landscape, but stopping in a jet just isn't realistic.

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 09:19
@Blazer, go hypnotoad!!!!!!

@General, this looks pretty nice, well hope to see more

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 09:36 Edited at: 25th Feb 2006 16:12
andrew neale -> thanks, me being a huge fan of the old game makes me feel all warm inside

Blazer -> version 0.2 doesn't have the ship stopping at all ^-^, nice idea for the bomb type weapon, i'm implemting it after the asteroid level, it will be a partical cannon from a nearby planet instead of the usually used bomb

The weapons system, I shall try my best to make as many different weapons as possible to give a good range, I was thinking though of having a shop that way you can spend your coins on new weapons. Some are locked until you finish certain levels and so forth to stop people from just repeating the training level to get all the Items.

Seppuku Arts -> of course u'll see more on monday
{Edit} - version 0.15 was released, version 0.2 will still be released on monday, mainly gotta just fix up the asteroid field level.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 10:02
Quote: "Seppuku Arts -> of course u'll see more on monday"

Sweet

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:02 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 03:04
I've also started work on a small movie intro for the game:
Screenie!

As some of you may have noticed if you've been looking this section of the forum i've released version 0.15 It has the fixed water etc.. but doesn't have any enemies within the asteroid field, nor has it an end point for the asteroid field -to be done for monday-

{Edit} Hopefully i've have the first schene completly finished (there will be 6 in total for the intro) by verion 0.2 comes out which WILL be released today... well later on today after i get some sleep

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
the movie shot looks awesome!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 19:37
Quote: "Not all pc's support .fx shaders"

Mine does. Add 'em in! You can make display settings for those who can't support it.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:24
very impressive it kinda reminds me of the cage complex's hyper nova game. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=63103&b=8

Keep up the good work

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 23:47
Quote: "Mine does. Add 'em in! You can make display settings for those who can't support it. "

Did General not say he was using DBC to make this? DBC doesn't support shaders.

It's starting to look good, but I would like a bigger texture for the grass. At the moment it's just too blurry looking.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 16:39 Edited at: 1st Mar 2006 16:47
News:
I have merely 30 minutes every day until saterday to work on this project. I'm still implementing a new weapons system approx 5-10 weapons in total which will be able to be baught at the shop.

I've started re-doing the asteroid level so there shall be some REALLY big asteroids with holes in them meaning you can fly through them

Gets to work on some big asteroids... to ANIM8OR!

Any1 want to help out with modeling or helping out in any part, to speed things up?

Replies to comments:
FoxBlitzz -> heh, i'm glad some1 was listning ^-^ I've also doubled the landscape texture as requested used an erode technique to get rid of the ahmm blockyness?

Big Man -> Yea, i've seen his work. Which reminds me i'm still waiting on hyper nova to be released, looks good. I feel though 'dog fighters 2' shall be more cartoony... more of a star fox clone

Uncle Sam -> there wouldn't be much point putting that in, as foxblitzz stated.

GogetaX -> Thanks again, slowly but steady she progress's.

Side note
I've started to notice every bodys skills have really increased recently. Well done folks

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 18:28
Quote: "'dog fighters 2' shall be more cartoony"

Your cartoony graphics do make the game look very good.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 04:13 Edited at: 6th Mar 2006 04:22
thanks BM

Well anyway heres the latest update with the following:
Part of the Intro is included in this version
Re-done asteroid level
2 waves on enemies - will be a total of 5 waves

To be done for version 0.2:
Asteroid level completly finished
Enemies Bullet code
Some space Fx
Lens effect - which will also be included in the training level
Voices - might not be released with version 0.2 due to size of file.

Oh yes and how could i forget Blazer's suggestions , i'll add in some new weapons

Version 0.16
http://www.hybridwolves.co.uk/downloads/df2.zip

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 05:17
Heh heh. Nice intro.

The mouse is way too sensative though, and the asteroid level is far too short. Otherwise comming along very nicely.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:34
Looks like Star Wraith. Some of the 3d looks lower poly which I my eyes don't enjoy. This game seems to have alot of work put into it, and the water and trees are neat looking. I really hated star wraith but I think i'd like this one better, I don't think I'd buy it. That's my 2 cents.

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:47
Hey, a mention in the newsletter! Good job Sehpiro, and well deserved.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 22:09
Just donwloaded, and wanted to say...Way cool intro man! Also, I like's the new first level. Thought I agree muchly with the Bizar Guy; second level is WAY to short! Other then that, gret job! I thought the double mouse effect was interesting...

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Its pretty cool! The second level, like everyone is saying, is sooooo short. It also would be alot easier if an enemy that is targeted is highlited, so you know that you can hit it if you shoot, which will make it alot easier to aim.

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Bizar Guy -> The mouse code actually has the exact same effect as using the arrow keys so to speak.

Basic movement system, it detects the mouse movement if it IS moving, it doesn't use the values of the mouse move. It's all pre-set.

Unless your talking about the menu hehe *redo's menu code*

Computer Nerd -> I do believe all my games have been freeware so far O_o that's my 3 cents.

Flindiana Jones -> thanks for the comments, the intro's not finished just yet and well the second level is short for a reason.

I still have to add a boss, and 3 more waves of enemies. That will make the second level seem ALLOT longer

UFO -> as i mentioned above about the shortness of level 2 so far. I don't want to make the game too easy but i might add in a self targetting system.

Side info:
I have 4 hours free on friday to work on DF2 wohoo!

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Saterdays work, quick info before I head out tonight

New targetting system has been implemented but not to make it too easy, the targetting system shall now work on any new levels created

Story boarded a few other ways enemies should get come out of... E.g. behind asteroids, behind billboards, like the ones at the begginging an so forth. Any suggestions for new levels would be much appreciated.

If you want to help out in desiging the game give a yell

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 23:06
level suggestions:
Water world: enemys can pop out of water. You could also fight battle cruisers
Jungle world: has huge trees you have to dodge.
Canyon Level: Fly in a canyon.....
Space Scrapyard: an old battlefield with the remains of ships

Enemy suggestions:
enemys that are invcible untill they open a part of them. They also can't shoot untill they open it

looking good, keep it up

Roses are RGB(255,0,0) violets are RGB(0,0,255)...
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 15:02 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2006 15:48
long time since i posted about the project, i've decided to improve the layout of the game.

4 Main Worlds
1.) Training Facility
2.) Desert World
3.) Water World
4.) Jungle World

5th = The final Boss planet, FULL of boss's
5.) Alein Planet

When flying to each world, you work a GIANT spaceship having to fly through asteroids at high speeds

Each world will allow you to fly a different ship.
for example,
Desert World = Gun Ship (Helicopter)

Water World = a Ship that looks like a manta ray

and so on...

New weapons system shall be implemented, left click for normal fire, right click for special weapon.

Blazer -> as you can see i took a few of your ideas so far

More to come...

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 16:52
Nice, great job so far.
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2006 03:30
Anything new you added? I'm was looking foward to seeing this game being completed.

"Bug? That's a feature."
"Retreat? We're advancing in a different direction."
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 03:53 Edited at: 3rd May 2006 03:54
Wait... Why didn't this get automaticaly locked?

I was looking forwards to this game also, but maybe you should have waited for a new thread to be posted, drew.
Heck, you could have at least just e-mailed him.

Please don't bump really old threads...

The end is near
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 05:50
hybrid, COULD THIS BE ANYMORE LIKE STARFOX ?!?

http://www.starfox.com/

stargate sg-1 the one show that never gets old

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Drew G, Bizar Guy -> I'll let this thread die, then maybe... after finishing EDO, i'll start work on this little project again. It just seemed the work load got overwhelming for this game.

digital dude RELOADED -> I like to re-make the classics. Is it against the law, no. If i called the main character fox, and called the game star wing, there may be a chance of me being sued, but i think not.

---Ideas for gameplay cannot be owned or copyrighted---
---But the way you present them can---

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 19:36:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 19:36:36