Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WormHole (my Atari Millipede clone)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:39 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2006 18:01
W O R M H O L E

Well, I was originally intending to release a C++ version of this game ages ago (which is already complete, and was done in 2d, and worked pretty well).

However, I realised that it was pretty crummy overall, mainly because it was my first C++ game; so it didn't really live up to the standards of a proper clone. So, I decided to completely rewrite it in DBP, and the results have been kind of amazing - mainly due to geecee3's amazing pyro code; it looks stunning.

So much so, that I may of gone bit overboard using it Anyway, so I was going to attach a screenie, but being a fast paced game, I decided that only a video would do justice to it.

So have a lookie, and comment on everything you possibly can.

Note:
At the start of the video everything goes very ssslooooowwwllly. For some bizarre reason, it took a couple of seconds for my timer based movement routine to kick in.

Oh yeah, and don't comment on the fact that some of the worm segments are the wrong way round. I know they are. And I'm trying to fix it.

Enjoy

(WMV attached, about 2/3mb)

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:51
Coool

Looking great
Any chance of a playable demo?

Any chance you could come on msn a min
please

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:56 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2006 17:47
Quote: "Any chance of a playable demo?"

Not really... or at least, not yet Its still very much Work in progress; I mean, the level editor works, and you can create full working levels, that play in the game, but if I rush to get a working demo, then I'm going to miss out on a lot of cool features I want to put in

Quote: "Any chance you could come on msn a min "

Not really, sorry I've been doing school work scince I got in, and I just took a 5 minute break to get a video of this up on the net And don't worry; I will get the segment editor finished for your theme park game

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

Attachments

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:59
Quote: "Not really, sorry I've been doing school work scince I got in, and I just took a 5 minute break to get a video of this up on the net And don't worry; I will get the segment editor finished for your theme park game

"

Ahh ok thanks still can't work out my positioning code lol
Vectors and positioning = lots of tests

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 17:45 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2006 17:56
Well, I've had an excellent day today, and it was made all the better by seeing WormHole mentioned in the newsletter! (which was really surprising actually)

So, I decided that I need to start focusing on finishing what is incomplete, and getting a playable demo out

First off, eher's a piccy of the menu. I know its mundane, but one of the main things stopping me from releasing a playable demo is the incompleteness of the menu.

Screenie of menu here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=799361

Next up, are the the levels. I'm hurrying along to create a bunch of levels you guys can play. Luckily, I have a pretty well though-out editor.
It allows multiple worms, of different (color pickable) colours. The editor is built-in to the game, and, as you can see from the above shot of the menu, it also allows the playing of these custom-made levels.

Screenie of the editor here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=797572

And finally, I've been fiddling with a load of complimentary features on top. I thought "Well, two player millipede would be cool..."

So that's exactly what I've done There's a ton of different things still left to implement, but its looking cool

Screenie of 2-player mode here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=655774

Attachments

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 17:50
Wish i could get a newsletter mention

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 18:17 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2006 18:17
Looking goooood!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 22:16
Why are you using keyboard control as opposed to mouse movement? I do hope you know that the original game was played with a trackball..

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 17:58
Quote: "Why are you using keyboard control as opposed to mouse movement? I do hope you know that the original game was played with a trackball.."

Hi FoxBlitzz,

What you say is interesting, and in fact I never got to play the *true* original game of millipede (although I do have a copy of the PC conversion of it that was made by atari back in 1999)

It is good you've raised this point, and I'll hopefully implement mouse control into the single player game However, how did you work out that I'd used the keyboard? I don't think I've mentioned anywhere have I?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:49:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:49:28