Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Gardening Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:20

Hello peeps. I am currently trying to write a gardening game for a college project. Because I'm basically an artist my programming skills are somewhat sucky, I do try but I find myself bashing my head on my desk alot.
What I'm after is some nice peeps that could possibly spare a bit of time and help me get on the path to enlightenment. Any titbits of help/info would be greatly appreciated.

A bit about the game. The game is idea is quite simple, it's basically a tile based game. Theres a 90*100 map that the player will be able to move around on and plant plants, water them and watch them grow over time. The first thing im working on is a simple map editor that will allow me to positon the map tiles and save there positon and information into an array. I then want to be able to save this information out into a file and be able to load it in. This is where im starting to get unstuck. AIiie Curumba!

If u think you could be of help then I would really appreciate it.
Drop me an email or post back here any I will send u the source so far and the needed media.
Thanks for your time.

Royston

roystonstew@hotmail.com
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:25
Oh, I would have posted this on the team requests forum but I cant seem to find it....
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:36
they got rid of the team request forum. why i dont know

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 02:56
It was because of all the bad posts which lacked enough information or progress on the games. It was so overwhelming that they removed that part of the forums.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 04:32
This thread however is fine, and can stay. Good luck with it. WIP was the right place.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
At least this person shows some progress before asking for help unlike a lot of other ppl lol.
The shot looks great, did u do something with the vertex of the models or sumthing? looks really smooth and stuff lol.

Nack

DC got a name change.....^^
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 07:45
I had an idea like this before. It's pity, because it would have been great (I have Tree Magic and Plant Life ) .

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
humm.. how many polys is the game in from position of the 1st shot?

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, looks great! You say you are an artist? Well it definitely shows. I wish I had those kinds of skills!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 11:04
Hey all thanks for feedback!,

@Nack, the models use vertex colours only, so no need to texture and no need to light. When I save the files out as xfile's with compression they are quite small in size because u dont need UV's and smoothing groups are not important. Im hoping to make the game as small as possible so people can download it easy. A game I worked for the PS2 used this technique and the programmers found that u could use more polys because there are no textures and suchlike it ran alot faster.

@Uncle Sam, I'm affraid I've been watching too many british TV programs like riverside cottage and I've been brainwashed into self sufficiency! Also I'm from Norfolk and its the capital of farmers... Ooooarrrr.

@Gogetax, The poly count is'nt too bad the trees are 1600 (tris) the house is 3000 odd, the main overhead will be the grass. At the moment it's about 800. It' s will prob be trimmed down a bit later on when I have a better idea as to how much in total I will have on screen. It will all need optimizing. All the models are instances though which should keep things running better.

Which brings me onto this little problem..
Because the maps are tile based I want to reuse as many models as possible. For instance I have a bit thats a straight line of muck as u can see in the image above. I want to reuse the model by copying it and rotating but when it gets pasted down it doesnt take into account the rotation. Heres the code but its prob me. When I press space it creates an instance at the current location of the current mapblock.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 11:16
Hi,

Nice looking graphics, and a lovely idea for a game (very Harvest Moon).

I'd like to help you - firstly, are you using DBClassic or DBPro? Secondly, what information are you planning on storing in your maps for saving? Is it just a 'terrain' map, or will you be saving things like stage of growth, fertility, infection, waterlevels on a per-tile basis?

Hopefully, you can help me with these questions, and if I can I'll try to give you a hand with your saving of 'maps'.

(Well done so far, though!)
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:00
Hey Zatoshi, im doing exactly that. Im storing x,y and z coords, height of grass and what the model type is. Something like this.

map(cp-50,0) = ox `x location
map(cp-50,1) = oy `y location
map(cp-50,2) = oz `z location
map(cp-50,3) = co `tile type
map(cp-50,4) = 1 `flag on
map(cp-50,5) = g `grass scale

I will need water levels aswell and prob xyz scale for vegetables.

Im using Dbpro v5.8 at the mo.
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:16
Just read the newsletter and just wanted to say thanks for the mention Much appreciated!
Phisch Phood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:38
I wouldn't mind helping you, I find that I'm better at the coding than I am at the arty side, so it could work well. E-mail me if you are interested.

To swim is to float, and to float is to fly
Phisch Phood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:40
Hey, I wouldn't mind helping you with coding, I'm not too good at arty stuff myself, I use DBpro, and also have DB classic, but I'm guessing you want to use Pro. If you are interested, E-mail me

To swim is to float, and to float is to fly
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 20:41 Edited at: 6th Mar 2006 21:20
I've sent you an e-mail.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 04:01
Here is perhaps another aproach to accomplish what I think you want.

Attachments

monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 19:11
Hey that's cool, seems like what im after. Im not sure if i will need 2 arrays or if i can do it all in 1. The grass and muck area's should be saved out as a garden template. Im not sure then if I should have another array that holds the vegetables positions/information so you could effectively have different vegetable maps aswell.
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 12:25
The matrix sinewave stuff confuses me a bit, how do i get my old code working with the code you posted pillar of fire? So that when I press space it plops an object down?

I've sussed that I now need to be working in 2 different modes. One mode being editing just the grass tiles so that if I want to change the current one when you press space it will replace the current one rather than paste another tile ontop. (unless you are in mode 2 where it would place the currently selected vegetable mesh down) It will also have to re-store the information in the array. How do I get feedback as to what the current tiles attributes are from the array?

Also when u press space I need to be able to rotate the model around the Y axis by 90 degree then store that info into the map file aswell.

Heres a link to the media..

http://www.geocities.com/superspunkmonkey/models.zip

Heres a pic of some of the new objects im working on. Including brewster rooster
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 16:56
Your modelling skills are at the Ãœber-master level!
And I just can´t figure out how you made the colours on the models look so COOL!

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 01:16
Ok I think I got it to work now.

Try this.

Attachments

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 01:26
btw, your models look really cool.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 21:56
Yup, I like the style of the models here too. Cool.

Cheers
monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 19:51
Brilliant 1 Pillar, goodjob old bean. Works a treat!
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 07:35
Alright, heres what there is so far.

Attachments

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 12:35

Attachments

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
file does not exist at line 92.

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 10:38
Oh bugger, thats right, you will need some more models that monkee has. I'm not sure if he is open to releasing them so I didn't include them. Unfortunate.

However; commenting out the error lines should still be enough to see the works progress.

A thousand apologies.
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 15:14
That looks funky - very cartoony!

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:32:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:32:38