Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / *Konvurd* - A 3d file format converter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 23:27
Hello

I dunno, someone might be able to use this little app.

What does it do?

It makes you able to load 3DS, X and DBO files, and export them to DarkBASIC's native 3d file format - DBO. You can also use this as a simple object viewer, where you can also play an objects animations(and you can easy find the most suited speed for an animation). All while using a simple, and easy to use, Windows interface.

<EDIT> And now you can open your models with Konvurd, without having to search for it! Just right click the file you want to open, and then simply open it with the Konvurd exe! You can also drag and drop files onto the exe to open them.</EDIT>

I'd be happy to receive any suggestions and comments.

You can find the file here.

And a little screenie, even though there's not much to show(it has to be tried!):

Thank you

klu 007

EDIT: *** A LITTLE UPDATE***

Text copy/pasted from another post:

***The rotation has been changed.
Now you right-click and move the mouse 'up' and 'down' to rotate the model.

***You can now move your model
just by using W and S. You can move the model away from the camera with W, and closer to the camera with S.

*** You can play your animations backwards
and I have no idea at all why you would want to do that. I just wrote that part into Konvurd while I was checking up on one of tschwartz's suggestions.

***You can play animations frame for frame
by entering a value or using the buttons to scroll through the frames. A little piece of text tells you exactly how many animation frames DarkBASIC could detect.

The download is found above, I updated the linky.

EDIT : UPDATE 1.2

***Zooming is not as sensitive anymore.

***Now you can retrieve more information about the model, using the newly added menu item. A window containing information such as poly count, rotation, position and animation frames pops up for you to view.

***You can now export a list containing info about all the limbs in your model. Just click the button, and a nice little text file will be saved in the same folder as the exe. The file contains numbers and names of all limbs. This is a quite useful feature.

BUG FIX:

Now the application wont crash if you try to overwrite an existing file.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:21
Quote: "It makes you able to load 3DS, X and DBO files, and export them to DarkBASIC's native 3d file format - DBO. "

Can you load a dbo to export to a dbo?
Nice work tho

Theme park simulator wip

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:28
Quote: "Can you load a dbo to export to a dbo?"

Yeah - but why would you want to? Yes, the reason you can load DBO files is not that you should export them to DBO, but so you can view the model, and play it's animations.

Quote: "Nice work tho "

Thanks. But it IS simple, and didn't take long to code. Although I felt a bit rusty before starting, I had forgot every single BlueGUI command...

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:48
could you make it so that it reads from the clipboard or something so when i doubleclick on a file it automatically opens the "viewer" and displays that file? or use the CL$ command perhaps to store the file location of the 3d mesh. so it is faster to load a file instead of searching for it? it would be neat. meet the meat. neat.
god i really dont know what im saying

my forum - still in development
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:01
So you can open a file with Konvurd, and then it automatically loads it? Hmm, I don't know how to do it, but I'll give it a try. I'm not really sure how to use the CL$ thing.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:27
cl$ is for the .exe so in the code you use:

location$ = cl$

and in the .exe properties you have:

name.exe -"c:/model.3ds"

my forum - still in development
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:38
Couldn't you explain me on msn please? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:38
No need. Just have program detect CL$()

then you can simply drag and drop a model onto the EXE and it will do the work for you.

Boo!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:46
for example, compile this and then drag a model file onto the complied exe.

Boo!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 02:51
Thank you very much! I'll update the first post.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 00:04
Updated the first post. My Windows is Danish, but I just hope you recognize that window in the second screenshot.

I only got 5 downloads on this one, and 2 comments... Are there really nobody that can use this?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 13:02
Quote: "It makes you able to load 3DS, X and DBO files, and export them to DarkBASIC's native 3d file format - DBO."
Quote: "Quote: "Can you load a dbo to export to a dbo?"

Yeah - but why would you want to? Yes, the reason you can load DBO files is not that you should export them to DBO, but so you can view the model, and play it's animations."

Just thought if you added more compression on the dbo's exported it would be even more useful

Theme park simulator wip

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 14:49 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 14:50
Quote: "Just thought if you added more compression on the dbo's exported it would be even more useful "

That sounds ver unlogical to me... As the dbo file wouldn't get less data when exported again. Or atleast I think so...

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 21:00
Quote: "Just thought if you added more compression on the dbo's exported it would be even more useful"

I'm almost sure this can't be done from within DBPro. If I knew of a method, I'd have made the compression a part of the program from the beginning.

Quote: "That sounds ver unlogical to me... As the dbo file wouldn't get less data when exported again. Or atleast I think so... "

Hehe, I think you're right.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 23:29
Quote: "unlogical "

I'm not trying to bash your English, but the correct word in this case would be illogical, as opposed to unlogical

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 01:03 Edited at: 15th Apr 2006 01:04
And I'm just sitting here with 1 comment out of 14 posts...

And.... Wow, more than 765 views... Does Konvurd really suck THAT much?

Markavian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 06:57
Hi klu 007,

Thats a really coolviewer, just what I need for previewing my .X models. The only complaint I have is that the camera doesn't rotate my model as I'd like.

Would it be possible to add different mouse/camera control modes?
I'd like to rotate the model around the Z axis and move the camera up and down while still facing the centre.
E.g. see the mouse controls on this Java applet:
http://mkv25.net/applets/brickBuilder/

Best regards,
- Markavian

- Markavian
http://mkv25.net
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 08:08
klu 007,

I just downloaded and took a look at Konvurd, I saw it in the newsletter. A few things,
1. When I load a model (character) the head is above the window. Maybe a way to position the model in the window would fix that.

2. Is there a way to reduce the speed below 1. 1 appears to be the normal so you can only make it go faster and not slower.

3. An ability to single step through the animation would be useful.

Thank you,
Terry
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 21:26 Edited at: 3rd May 2006 22:16
Thank you for the comments.

@Markavian:
I'll have a look at that mouse-view thing, it should be easy enough to fix!

@tschwartz:
I'll have a look at it right away!

EDIT:

Quote: "2. Is there a way to reduce the speed below 1. 1 appears to be the normal so you can only make it go faster and not slower."

If the animation speed goes below 0, it's playing backwards. And to quote from the DBPro help files:

Quote: "The parameters should be specified using integer values.
"

I'm afraid that animation speed can't go below 1, without ending up standing still or playing backwards. Sorry, I don't think I can fix that.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 22:52
Okay, now I have done what I could to implement your suggestions.

***The rotation has been changed.
Now you right-click and move the mouse 'up' and 'down' to rotate the model.

***You can now move your model
just by using W and S. You can move the model away from the camera with W, and closer to the camera with S.

*** You can play your animations backwards
and I have no idea at all why you would want to do that. I just wrote that part into Konvurd while I was checking up on one of tschwartz's suggestions.

***You can play animations frame for frame
by entering a value or using the buttons to scroll through the frames. A little piece of text tells you exactly how many animation frames DarkBASIC could detect.

I'll upload the new version in the first post!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 13:45 Edited at: 4th May 2006 14:34
Never Mind

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 02:43
can you make the zoom a bit less sensitive .

someof my smaller meshes are eitehr just visable or gone ..LOL

other wise one nice bit of kit man .

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 19:31
Thanks man

I lost all data on my hard disk a couple of weeks ago. I had a backup of Konvurd, I didn't know about that until now, but the backup isn't quite up to date. So I'm afraid I won't make any updates to Konvurd. Sorry.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 19:34
Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
wtf mate? About half a year ago I spent like a month scouring the internet for an .x exporter for 3ds max that didn't totally screw up the model... I tried about 20 different methods to get my model from max to DBP and finally found one obscure exporter plugin made by an indie game company that worked... but only if I also used Deep Exploration as a middle man to change some settings before loading...

Oi! And... and now you've come out with this... which makes it so easy to get files from max to DBP (and in its native format no less) it almost makes me want to cry.

Awesome work!

Neeeeeeeewom!
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 14:52
That is pretty Nice.. Just Tested it out with a couple of rigged animations, its pretty good. Good Job!

Would it be possible to get a list of the limbs... and thier current rotation/position?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I would suggest perhaps putting the sourcecode out maybe for someone else to continue it then, if you do not plan on continuing. Obviously it's up to you, but I'm sure someone here would fancy getting it working ok. I wouldn't have time myself at present but I'm sure someone would. Just a thought by the way.

Oh and I noticed a post earlier saying it converted .x to 3ds? That could be useful for a lot of people, including myself. I have only got .x meshes of some of my models, because I only backed up the db source and media, and not my modellers folder. This can be annoying if I want to use them again and change or improve them slightly.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 02:41
Wow, thanks everyone. I recently found out that I had a backup of the source on my lappy, so I might post it on here. Notice, though, that I'm using BlueGUI for the menus.

@Indie Rock 13

Hey, thanks mate!

@BiggAdd

Sure, I'll look into the source and see if I can add some stuff.

@DVader

It doesn't convert anything to 3ds. Only from 3ds and X to DBO. And maybe I'll put up the code, but I think I'll have a go at it myself first.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 05:29
Okay, updated the first post. Konvurd version 1.2:

***Zooming is not as sensitive anymore.

***Now you can retrieve more information about the model, using the newly added menu item. A window containing information such as poly count, rotation, position and animation frames pops up for you to view.

***You can now export a list containing info about all the limbs in your model. Just click the button, and a nice little text file will be saved in the same folder as the exe. The file contains numbers and names of all limbs. This is a quite useful feature.

Download the new version here

Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 07:32 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 07:38
My model I tested it on had some nasty backface culling goin on. Could you implement an option for turning culling on or off? It's probably just the shoddy exporter I had to use from Max to get it to an .x file but eh.

EDIT: lol oh and maybe zooming should be that slow when Shift is held or something, because I held zoom for about 65 seconds before I got close to my model. It was a bit touchy but about right in the 1.1 version. Just depends on how big the model is I guess, so maybe having the two zoom speeds would be good.

Neeeeeeeewom!
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 19:26
finally, something worth downloading ( im primarily a modeler not a programmer )
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 19:39
@Indie Rock 13

Sure, I'll add that when I've had something to eat. Can't code on an empty stomach.

@Heckno

Thanks a lot man. By the way, I've seen some of your models, and they were really good.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 20:34
@Freddy 007

thanks man.... Hey, if you gonna keep working on this the one main problem I am having is if you try to save a file that already exists the program crashes... if you could make so it overwrites the existing file that would be golden...
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 23:11 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 23:25
Sure, I'll look into that right away. And I will keep working on this, but as you might know, DarkPhysics is to come out in just a few hours, so I might have to play around a little with some physics stuff before I continue working on Konvurd. But thanks for letting me know about this bug.

EDIT: Okay, extremely simple bug. The new version is uploaded now.

Get it here. The other links in the thread are updated as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:28:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:28:44