Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Firewall 2: Second Defense...screenshots and videos

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:11 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 23:59
Well, I think I'm finally at the point where I can post some screenshots and give some info on my new project: Firewall 2. I am starting from scratch, and started about a month ago. I think this is ready for a WIP thread, go ahead and yell at me if you think otherwise.

What I have completed:
-Basic RTS camera controls
-Basic unit selection and group assigning
-Unit and Base module structure for faster creation of new ones in the future
-Obstacles on map (slots and capacitors, more to come)
-Unit pathfinding around obstacles
-Unit pathfinding around other units to avoid collision (ground only)
-5 Bases and 3 Units completed
-Hardware shadows and soft drop shadows
-Basic GUI, nice fading effects
-Tread moving animations: when a tank moves, its treads move, and when it turns, the outside tread moves faster and the inside one slower.
-Capture build pads and build new bases
-Building animations
-Basic enemy AI, build units and captures buildpads and builds bases
-Buildpad capture animations
-Fade edges of map
-The implimentation of a power system to limit the number of units and bases that you can have out at once. Build more power bases to add to the amount that you can hold
-Both sides now playable - Firewall and Virus
-Flying units avoid eachother
-Bumpmapping on map
-Rotating and clickable map/rader

Soon to come:
-More Virus units
-More bases
-Unit AI

And what you all want to see:

[edit]

Well, I have decided to just release my progress of the game to the forum, as I realize that there are no features so far that won't be included in a free demo later on anyway. Please take into account that this is the first beta version that I am releasing, so there are a few rough sections of code still. I don't have as much time as I would like to work on it anymore, otherwise it would be a little bit more polished.

Here is a list of the features and known bugs for this version:
Read this before downloading and playing the demo and telling me what doesn't work!

And the download link (5 MB):
http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/Firewall2Beta010.rar

There is a prefs.txt file in the Data folder. Open this and modify the values to change the options in the game. All explanations for the options are in the file itself. If you screw it up, you can delete the file and it will make a new one

And here are some videos, although they are almost as large as the demo itself...
http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/Firewall2-Video5.wmv
http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/Firewall2-Video6.wmv
http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/Firewall2-Video7.wmv

So I hope you all appreciate this, and have fun playing around with it.
[/edit]

New screenshots!...and old videos

Comments and suggestions are welcome, but remember that I am still in the very early stages, and not much is implemented yet. I have a basic system set up on paper. Once I get it a little more complete with more original components I will explain it indepth.

Thanks to the following people so far for helping me:
-IanM for the pathfinding functions
-Lost in Thought for multiple small things
-Dark Coder for making 2 awesome models (the plane and the second tank)
-Ooga Booga for helping with some base objects, which are not yet implemented. To be shown soon...
-Mike S. for the normal map generator, among other things
-Bizar Guy for lots of ideas
-Other people on the forum...thanks guys

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:26
It looks phenomenal. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this project. The shadows look great, btw.

Come see the WIP!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:36
Holy schnit, that looks absolutely incredible.

Inspiring man: you know I love Firewall, along with like everybody else around here. Keep on working!

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:37
How did you do the shadows man? They own!

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:44
Absolutely amazing screenies. Can't wait to see a demo of this!

"One World, One Web, One Program" -Microsoft ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 14:46
Thank guys

Believe me, I'll keep working as much as I can. I had to go to "real work" today from 5 pm until 2 am, but I've been working since I got back...I work in all my freetime, except to take breaks to hang out with my friends and go to class. Finals this week

About the shadows:

There are two different types: 3D hardware ray-cast shadows and 2D plain soft dropshadows. The 3D ones are just using the built in shadow shading, but with lower poly objects for the map objects to speed it up a little. The 2D ones are just rendered before the game starts, during loading. It takes a top-down picture of a gray textured object and then blurs it and creates an alpha map with memblocks. I just throw it on a plain and ghost it and use transparency mode 1. Works like a charm.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 15:39
Looking awesome man. I love the power supply models and the Tanks

Quote: "I had to go to "real work" today from 5 pm until 2 am"

Doesn't night shift suck (I work from 5pm to 4:30am)

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 15:47
Damn dude, that looks freaking amazing.

BIG RESPECTA!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 16:05
Looking great!

Not sure that many shadows is a good idea. Older pcs will choke to death I think. Still, who cares if anyone has an old pc.

Maybe an option to turn off the shadows would be good.

Boo!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 16:15
I concur with the honorable Spooky; shadow turning off option, and this OWNZ. Are there going to be any gameplay innovations from the first one? Already liking the new look of this game's units...

Your goose is cooked.
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 16:57
This is looking excellent *grins*
Everything seems to fit together very well, and I'm loving the lighting and shadows.. You should try adding some bumpmapping to the plane and perhaps a specular map so the lighting can shine on the metalic parts

Keep it up, really looking forwards to seeing more of this.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:18
wow, absolutly amazing

Deathquest (MMORPG)
Deathquest Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=61108&b=8
DD Studios Website: http://www.geocities.com/jasonhtml/
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:45
wow this looks asome i remember the first one and it was cool so i expect this one will be the same or better.

Instead of just learning how to program i am also learning how to model in Wings 3D so if you know of any good tutorials let me know.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
everyone is suddenly busting out these sick games. Looks really impressive,Xander. Do you have an ETA on completing it?

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:56
pwntastic. If there was a Nobel Pwn Prize, you deserve it!

Evil Mods keep erasing my below 600x120 sig...
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:57
O M G SUPERB
That's so good hehe and this gives me an idea

Theme park simulator wip boards

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 23:10
Looking good Bolt, I love the sleek interface. As I've mentioned many times before, Firewall 1 was one of my favorite DB/DBP games of all time, so this one will be nothing short of that.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 23:15
this is one of the best looking games i have ever seen written in dbpro. this game will be gold!!11fourtyfive

keep up the good work, i'm afraid i haven't tried your dbc version yet, will definetly check it out

my forum - now partly finished
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 23:35
Thanks for the motivating comments everyone

@ Spooky: Yes, I already have flags setup at the top of my source code for turning stencil or drop shadows on and off, plus an overall detail value, so it won't be a problem to implement it into my options menu later on

@ Flindiana: Well, the whole grid thing is gone. It was too restricting. But I am not going to make just another RTS with a different look, I am trying very hard to bring a new concept to the genre, I already have a unique resource/building system, and just need to come up with a territory system for the battles.

@Jonny: Yeah, bump or specular mapping sounds like a great idea to help out the flat plain, I'll definitely take a look into it

@x1bwork: ETA? Not really, I'm guessing it will take me close to 2 years to get everything finished. That's how long Firewall took, but I'm a much better programmer/modeler/texture artist now, but I also want to add a lot more in. But I'll definitely have a demo up before then, maybe sometime in June

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:20
Very impressive!

Add more shadows!

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:32
Very cool. I say the shadows should be darker, though (like I say for almost every project I see with the shadows' default alpha settings).

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, very nice! I regret to say I have never played the original Firewall yet, but I will tell you it looks great!

www.badpicsofmatt.tk
www.silver-dawn.net
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:54
Oh yeah, I was going to ask that, does anyone know how I can change the darkness of the shadows using the built-in shadow shader?

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:26
It is an undocumented command. In U6 it lives in the GamerFX Dll;

set global shadow color red,green,blue,alpha

which gives you complete control over colour and alpha, which is good news.

From the U6 update notes;

Quote: "
SET SHADOW LIGHT Light Number, X, Y, Z, Range
SET GLOBAL SHADOWS OFF
SET GLOBAL SHADOWS ON
SET GLOBAL SHADOW SHADES Number Of Shades
SET GLOBAL SHADOW COLOR Red, Green, Blue, Alpha
SET SHADOW POSITION Mode, X, Y, Z
"

Boo!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:43
Oh, so that's what global shadows are. I didn't know what that meant; thanks a lot spooky

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:44
I saw the title and for a moment couldn't believe it. A sequel to Firewall!!!

I love the art style, very crisp. From the vids and 'cause it's you, I'm betting the gameplay will be awesome. I also like how the menu bits fade away when not in use, and how the movement shows where each unit will go and which direction it will face. I also like that it names each unit, although I don't know if that would work well in the middle of a battle. Will you make it so that the player can set up patrols with waypoints and such?

Where's the sticky?

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:52 Edited at: 12th May 2006 01:53
dude - seriously sexy interface. Looks like a very professional product so far! It's the little touches that make it; fading icons, draggable and fading selection box. Nice!

[center]
iv tryed everything!!!!!!!!!! could u please just add The gun and shooting Code thats All!!!!!!!!!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 02:21
It's startig to look so much better than the first one already, and that's without all the amazing particles...

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2006 03:35
WHOA, where did you learn to code? Oh wait, all my pupils did become masters at DBP. Great work Xander.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 05:01
awesome stuff Xander. It looks very slick and professional. Like Some said, bump/normal/specular mapping would make this look very nice, not that it doesnt already!

If you need and other base models with textures, give me a yell.

Regards,
greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good I only hope you can improve that frame rate in time. But I respect this new level of graphical detail its great.

The admiral
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 06:59
Thanks

@ greenlig: I'll remember that in case I get bogged down with work and don't have time for modeling...

@ The admiral: Yeah, like I said, the bad frame rate is mostly from fraps, either the video taking slowing it down or me hitting the screenshot key multiple times in a row, killing the frame rate

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 07:05
It's not only shadows, it's something else. Do you have like a shiny shader on the objects?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 08:05 Edited at: 12th May 2006 14:10
No, no shaders except for the shadows. I just played around with the lights alot until I got the effect I wanted

[edit] Just a small update...I am going to be super busy the next couple of days, as I have a huge paper to finish, as well as a couple of finals to take. Plus these are the last few days of being in college this semester, and I want to spend more time with my friends. I won't see most of them over the summer, and want to get in all of the fun that I can before this semester is over...if only it would stop raining...

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 22:03
Awesome, dude! Great work on the shadows!

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 02:15
Cool pathfinding - would love to know how you did that.

<OMG></OMG>
NeX, you cant be serious - CattleRustler.
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 04:09
Looking very sharp mate looking forward to playing this, outstanding work.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Belial Productions
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:28 Edited at: 14th May 2006 10:28
@ NeX: That was very very difficult for me, it took me a couple weeks to get that finally looking right. There are two levels of pathfinding: finding their way around the map, and moving around units that are in the way. Finding their way around the map is done with IanM's pathfinding functions, I have to give him full credit for that. I just implemented them into my game. The second level of pathfinding, going around units, is a complex bit of code. The basis for it is that each unit has a hidden object that moves and has sliding collision around the bases and walls. The unit object then has acceleration and velocity and follows the hidden object. I then implimented a few avoiding function things that make units avoid other units, like going around eachother if they get within a certain radius. It's pretty complicated, took a lot of my thinking. But I can't take credit for the idea of an object in front of a real one, that was my friend Jason, who isn't even a DB programmer. Sometimes it's the people that you least expect that come up with the best ideas...

[edit] Update: I just finished a 10 page paper and a take-home final, so I finally have some time to work in my game for a little while. I am going to put in another tank model and get build pad capturing implimented so I can show my other models in the game. Will update as soon as I'm done, hopefully later tonight.

[edit2] Well...I kind of got distracted. All you people that have been in college know how this goes. I fell asleep for a few hours, then woke up and started watching movies with my friends. Then next thing I know I'm putting black makeup all over my face and scaring the drunk people walking along the street...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 15:56
so this is what your conniving self has been up to... looks raad

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 11:24 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 09:25
Thanks Peter

Okay, I totally messed up my collision and pathfinding, but I finally got it all fixed and it works better than it did before, so it's all good. I also got some vertex manipulation working for a building animation, I just need to make a cool texture for an object to hide evidence of manipulating vertices, and that will be done. I worked on the texture for the new tank, and I put the model in. It still needs some shading, and some optimizing, but here it is, along with the other tank and the new darker shadows:

The vertical light bars on the front of the new tank move from the inside out, like a scanner thing. I might make it skinnier...
[edit] screenshot removed due to more recent screenshots in post

I do have another question: If I make a specular map for my flat circuit board map model, and I scale the texture, will the specular map be scaled too? Because otherwise it would get all screwed up. Also, I'd like to scroll it along with the texture, not sure if that would work. Anyone know before I make a specular map only to have it not be able to scale or scroll?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 21:24
Awesome work

Theme park simulator wip boards

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 21:41
I don't really have much to add, but I can't just sit around and not compliment you on your awesome work.

Looks Amazing!

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 22:37
Really? I thought the new tank didn't look so good yet, haha. Thanks anyway

You may have noticed that the drop shadow for the new tank is too large, this is because I forgot that both the texture size and the plain size was being made the size of the unit, so because it was a little bigger than the other tank, it was multiplied and made too large. I'll fix that today...and maybe work on the tank texture tonight if I get time.

But starting this weekend I'll be at home with very little to do besides work outside on the garden and lawn, so I should get a lot done quickly

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 22:43
That is AMAZING!!!

I can't wait

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 08:58
This is just plain cool.

I'm going to eat you!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:38 Edited at: 18th May 2006 00:34
@ Diggsey: Thanks, glad you like how it looks. I would love to release a demo as soon as possible, but I am not going to release one until it is playable, until I have basic AI, base building, and a fighting system in. But I'll keep everyone updated with screenshots and videos as much as possible.

@ Bear: Thanks, that means a lot coming from you!

Okay, I have been thinking about a unique system to incorporate into this new rendition of Firewall. I have a lot of stuff already figured out, and just thought of an idea for "territory" capturing. I'm going to write what my ideas are, please comment on what you think is good and bad, as I want this to be an easy to understand, yet complex enough to be fun, and unique RTS system.

The following is for a campaign or conquest system, obviously the network features won't be necessary for a skirmish.

The Network
There will be a network of computers connected together. Each one is selectable and has its own features such as vulnerability to viruses, motherboard size, etc.

One of the specifications of the computers is the size of the hard drive. The larger the hard drive, the more units that can be built and stored on that computer. (Thanks to Bizar Guy for the idea)

To install software on/infect a computer, the team moves units from a computer onto a computer that is directly connected to an already controlled computer. If the computer is empty, then it is immediately owned. If it is already occupied by the opposing team, a battle takes place.

-------------------------

The Teams

Firewall Team
The Firewall's goal is to eliminate all viruses on the entire network.

Anti-Virus software
There are 3 different anti-virus programs that can be installed on a computer. You choose one of these programs to install on your server in the beginning. To install software on another computer, you must have a direct connection between that computer and a computer with software already installed on it. Once the software is installed on a computer and all viruses have been deleted, you can transport units to or build units on that computer, from the network screen.

Virus Team
The goal of the Viruses is to take control of the central computer, the server

Viruses
There are 3 different viruses that can infect computers. To infect a computer, the computer must be directly connected to an already infected computer. Once a computer is infected and all anti-virus software has been deleted, viruses can be transported to or built on that computer.

----------------------

The Server
There is a central computer of the network called the server. This server is the starting point for the Firewall team, and the goal of the Virus team.

----------------------

The Campaign
At the beginning of the campaign, the Firewall starts out in control of the server. The Viruses control a random computer on the outskirts of the network

The Firewall continues to install anti-virus software as the Viruses continue to infect computers. Once the Firewall finds an infected computer, or the Viruses find a protected computer, a battle takes place. The defending team gets to use the units that are present on the computer, the attacking team uses the units that it has just attempted to move onto the computer.

To be continued in the next post...as I don't want to lose all this...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:14
Sounds great, but what's to stop the attacking team from bringing a rediculously large army they built up on one computer onto the other teams computer and simply overwhelming them? Will there be a unit cap per computer, like only a certain amount of information the hard drive can hold?

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:15 Edited at: 18th May 2006 01:02
Hi Xander,
har har har
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:32
@ Bizar Guy: Thanks for reading it, at least I know it makes sense to other people now I failed to mention that, yes, there will be a unit cap for each computer. And I thought of the hard drive thing before, that will be one of the specifications of the computer and will limit the amount of units you can hold on each computer. It will balance the game much better. Also, some units will take up more hard drive space than others.

@ Strong Bad: Well, beta testing is a long way off as of now. I do have a few close ties to members on these forums, and they will get first dibs on beta testing. But everyone will get access to the demos, so that is still beta testing in a way.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 04:53
Xander, I'm playing the Firewall demo at the moment and it is unbelievably good. Great great work.

If this game is half as good it will be a cracker.

greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:50:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:50:53