Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ok a few new forum changes today, more to come...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:21 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:08
Hi all,

First of all if the post / reply box isn't working for you make sure you pick-up the latest Javascript files by pressing CTRL+F5 (in Firefox) or Shift+F5 (in IE) to fully reload the page.

Ok here is what's new:

Enhanced Post / Reply Boxes

Text Selection

You can now select text within the post/reply box, click a tag and have it wrap it properly. This worked before in IE but not in Firefox, now it works in both.

From anywhere on the page ...

However.. you can also select text from ANYWHERE ON THE PAGE and then the 'quote', 'image' and 'link' buttons will still work. So you can now high-light someones message, click 'quote' and it'll copy the whole lot into the text area for you.

Automagic URLs

If you select a URL (either in the textarea or on the page) and hit 'link' it will automatically turn it into a link for you. It detects text that starts with http:// or www. Highlight the following, hit 'link' and see what I mean:

http://www.google.com
www.google.com

If the text you selected isn't a URL, it'll prompt you to enter the URL and then wrap the URL around whatever text you did select.

and Images

The above works for images too. If you select a URL ending with a valid image resource (gif, jpg, png) it'll image link it automatically for you. Again you can select this text from anywhere on the page or in the textarea.

If it's not an image it'll prompt you for the URL to it.

Test on this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/g/richav1.gif

(Note: It's very easy to select an extra space at the end of a URL, so I'm going to trim them away in the next update to make it a bit more friendly)

New Smiley Range

Previously each smiley face was a single GIF file. This meant you had to load in about 40 or so images just for the smiley bar, each time.

I replaced those 40+ images with one single GIF that is also an image map. So, you get more smilies to choose from (without hitting the more link) and it takes up less bandwidth, and less requests to the server. Well, I like it anyway

Source Code Gone

The 'source' option has been removed for now. It didn't work when you were still hit with the noob badge and had to have a post approved. It also took up more room. I will bring it back once it works, and probably tab it off, so you can select to see it if you wish.

toggle it

Top right of all messages is a toggle link. Use it to hide messages where some spoon posted an image of their 1900x1200 desktop, or some such act of similar intelligence.

but single tags jump to the end!

True. If you click a single tag button (b, u, etc) with nothing selected it appends the opening tag to the end of whatever is in the textarea, and doesn't place it where-ever your cursor last was. Deal with it I'm afraid, phpbb does the same thing I believe I have a solution for this in Gecko based browsers, but I've yet to find one that works solidly in IE (if you know of a forum where this isn't the case, post it here and I'll rip the code apart to find out how they do it). The fact the textarea scrolls back up to the start when you wrap text with a tag is most annoying. All I do is set focus on it, but it happens regardless. Annoyingly IE doesn't do this, only Firefox does. Again if you know a fix, tell me (you won't notice it happen unless you enter enough text to make the textarea scroll)

Threads you've written in

All the database tables for 'what threads have I written in' have been built.. which took the forum offline for a few hours today as my scripts parsed 3.5 million records. Still, it's done now. I will release this next week at some point (providing nothing gets in the way)

There are some other small updates coming shortly, but nothing particularly massive, these were mostly to fix some annoying issues that were bugging me, most else I can live with (bar the 'apostrophe vanishing' one)

Cheers,

Rich

Bite my shiny metal ass
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:27 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 21:37
Thanks a million Rich.

test

EDIT:: Another test me-thinks>>>

<º))))><.·´¯`·.Here's to the crazy ones¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:35
Quote: "Again if you know a fix, tell me"

Quote: "hyrichter
User

Posted: 6th Jun 2006 07:30 toggle
For all you people wondering if it's possible to get the forum tags working properly in FireFox:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60743&b=20

The simple answer is "yes", but I don't know that Rich will ever be bothered to do it."

I was Offset of Reality
tough guys wear pink --so thats why your mom always wears pink
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:36 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 21:36
Quote: "Source Code Gone

The 'source' option has been removed for now. It didn't work when you were still hit with the noob badge and had to have a post approved. It also took up more room. I will bring it back once it works, and probably tab it off, so you can select to see it if you wish."

Please make it so we can edit them incase someone accidently posts access key codes in them. It takes about 12 hours to get ahold of anyone to remove them for us. Last time was almost 24 hours.

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:37 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 21:39
Fantastic improvements. This is a very polished product!
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:38 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 21:39
or better yet, a post/thread delete button

edit:
you just posted retard

I was Offset of Reality
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:38 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:11
Neither can I!

Nice changes

Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:43 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:32
Great, all modifications are good, but one thing bothers me:
When you look at subjects, there is a space between them, it's not anymore so informative as I have to scroll down to see more, it's also easy to lost the line I was reading. My screen height is 1280:

Maybe it's just a matter of time to get used to it and Im the only one with adapting problem.

EDIT: It suddenly changed back to way it was, no problem anymore, maybe it was just a firefox cache messing up.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:46
Subject spacing looks fine here

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:49
Quote: "When you look at subjects, there is a space between them"

Yes but look to the right. See those 2 little lines of text? They define the height of the subject box, and always have done. If anything they should now be a tiny bit smaller than before as I decreased the line-height.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:50

Ooh, snazzy...

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:55
Quote: "For all you people wondering if it's possible to get the forum tags working properly in FireFox:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60743&b=20"

Ahh, scrollTop. Yes I remember looking at that last night, should have added it. Ok that will solve the 'textarea scrolls up' issue, thank you (and hyrichter). Will look at his method for single tagging later.

Bite my shiny metal ass
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:33 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:34
Cool. Lets see if I can get me sig to work using this.
Edit: It worked!

Need path finding in your games? Have a look at the tutorials on Pathfinding.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:36
Quote: "Threads you've written in"

That's a welcome feature

When I [ALT] + shortcut it doesn't work anymore. e.g [ALT] + q for quote tags. I don't think you've covered that undocumented feature above anywhere.

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:37 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:38
isn't your sig just a link?

edit:
obviously the image in my sig don't work

I was Offset of Reality
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:54 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:56
Quote: "If you select a URL (either in the textarea or on the page) and hit 'link' it will automatically turn it into a link for you. It detects text that starts with http:// or www. Highlight the following, hit 'link' and see what I mean"

Highlighting and pressing a button like B or U doesn't work in Opera, and apparently now neither does just clicking the button I'm using Opera, and none of the buttons work except highlighting someon else's post and hitting "quote."

Also, why don't you just automatically parse URLs into clickable links at post time? That's how all forums do it except this one. So many newbies making new game posts don't know that they have to use BBcode on their links.

Edit: now click on the in-post code snippet tags don't work in Opera either. The toggle button does, though.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 23:56
Meow.

Cool stuff Rich.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 00:09
Nice one Rich.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%
Download the free version
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 00:19 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 00:19
Cool! I especially like the new smiliey layout.

You should make it so we just highlight text, then press 'q' to quote. It'd make it a lot easier to quote multiple sources.

Weapon Creator for sale soon!
Weapon Creator
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 02:22
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 02:38
Awesomeness, Rich. These are some very welcome additions to the forums.

What happened to the dynamic avatar, Rich?

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 02:44 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 03:12
Quote: "You should make it so we just highlight text, then press 'q' to quote. It'd make it a lot easier to quote multiple sources."

Alt Q, but NOT q

Okay, still waiting on autotoggle but fixable right now...

PLEASE, remove the image location prompt. several people use the apollo upload and it is .5 seconds more time to paste the url into the prompt.

Oh... and although we love this historic forum bug... it is time to let go. Images that end in .JPG (capital) should show be able to be viewed.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 03:23 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 03:40
Quote: "When I [ALT] + shortcut it doesn't work anymore. e.g [ALT] + q for quote tags. I don't think you've covered that undocumented feature above anywhere."

Yes, I use the onmousedown event to capture the button press, which stops the accesskey from working (the button gets highlighted, but for some reason never activates). If I use onclick, you cannot select from outside the textarea.

Quote: "Highlighting and pressing a button like B or U doesn't work in Opera, and apparently now neither does just clicking the button I'm using Opera, and none of the buttons work except highlighting someon else's post and hitting "quote.""

There's an irony there somewhere. Anyway my code was working fine in Opera last night, I checked it over just now, added a small one-line tweak, and now it works in Opera again. I've only tested in Opera 8 on Windows, and don't care to test any lower. That should be enough.

Quote: "PLEASE, remove the image location prompt. several people use the apollo upload and it is .5 seconds more time to paste the url into the prompt."

I have added so it will detect for images uploaded here automatically. It also no longer cares about the case of the image extension when selecting text.

Bite my shiny metal ass
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 04:02
Quote: "I checked it over just now, added a small one-line tweak, and now it works in Opera again."

Well whatever you did it works fine now. I understand any agrivation about getting code and design to be cross-browser compatible, it's always such a huge nightmare.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 04:14
Quote: "Well whatever you did it works fine now. "

It was falling into the IE specific block of the code, when it should have been using the Gecko bit. A simple typeof() to the rescue and voila, Opera is back in the game again

Bite my shiny metal ass
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 04:46
omg, that is awesome! Finally, the real penguin

Wii rules.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 06:48
I am posting this here because... well...

Either way, this thread should have 16 posts in it (unless I miscounted) and the 'posts' variable on the outside agrees. HOWEVER even though I have viewed the thread, it does not go grey on the outside.

Clicky

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 06:53

I'm diggin' this rich. Thanks for your work!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 07:00
Quote: "That's a welcome feature "

Agreed, it's one I've been waiting for, too.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 07:40
everyone test the toggle button now!! XD im only kidding, wouldnt want to be labeled a spoon now would i?
i do like the smiley thing though

formerly KrazyJimmy

I'm the lizard king, I can do anything.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 07:45
Looks like the SQL injection that I told Mike about several months ago finally got fixed as well.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 10:13
Rich, any chance of the "first new message" button? You press a link against a message to take you to the first message in a topic you haven't read. Normally the first message after your last one. ie. the first blue message in a topic.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes it is a shame when you go to the last page, and they are all blue, so you go back a page, but they are all grey, so you don't actually know where you got to.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 11:02
Rich, is this still a bug?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72732&b=2

Its not mentioned up top...

[center]
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 11:35 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 11:37
This code will insert whatever tags you like in IE, Mozilla/Netscape, Firefox and Opera at the current cursor position. I wrote it for adding an image tag in a content manager I wrote for a company. At the moment its written to insert an image name surrounded by [[ and ]] but you can easily change that.

You attach it to your buttons using something like this:

I have tested it in IE, Netscape 7.2, Firefox and Opera and it works fine. Hope it helps.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 12:12
The site appears fine in IE7

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Dont do anything I wouldn't do. But if you do, take pictures.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 13:55
Quote: "Looks like the SQL injection that I told Mike about several months ago finally got fixed as well."

Err, he never told me about it.

Quote: "Rich, is this still a bug?"

Nope, fixed.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 15:42
Good Improvements.
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 16:00
Quote: "

Either way, this thread should have 16 posts in it (unless I miscounted) and the 'posts' variable on the outside agrees. HOWEVER even though I have viewed the thread, it does not go grey on the outside.
"

I just clicked the link, and the same thing happened to me too. Strange.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 18:37

Oooo Tux and amiga...

I can click the icons and they insert into my edit box now .. alot better
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 19:28

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 19:44
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 20:33
Just toggle

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 20:37 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 20:39

<º))))><.·´¯`·.Here's to the crazy ones¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
bjdgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 21:24
ic:world

bjdgames
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 22:43
hehe yea that toggle is awesome

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 01:35
Richard Davey, you should write a book about web design!

I just noticed the table rows of the forum groups changing colors as I moved my mouse over them (from gray to a lighter shade of gray). Very nice trick.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 10:29
How about links to posts, so I dont need to describe a post I want someone to read?

New site!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 14:44:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 14:44:42