Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dumbow and Cool free for TGC users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 21:46 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2006 21:47

URL: http://www.drewsgames.com/fullversiondac.zip, 38mb

Basically, it's been a commercial dud even after I've payed for advertising, gotten reviews, submitted it to places, upgraded it and so on. I figured why not just let people at least see my hard work! Hope it goes down well!

I'd like to thank the people who did buy it, I am still working on upgrades for you by way of thanks, which are not included in the free link above. This is only open to TGCers, so please don't go sticking this link here there and everywhere.

- Drew

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 21:52
Wow, thanks

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 21:58
I'm still going to buy it. It's a great game and deserves to be bought.

Come see the WIP!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 22:09
I tried to buy it just now but it keeps saying transaction declined. I will try in a little bit.

Sorry about the low sales, that sucks.

Team Artist, and Storyline Designer. [Team: Steve, Saikoro, and help from Megaton Cat]
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 22:10
Hey Drew, Do you mind if I stick the game on this disc?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82223&b=1

It would be outstanding if you would give me permission to distribute it in this manner. Its a great game and a cool thing your doing for this community by allowing it to go free

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 22:15
I would have loved to buy it, but as I said I couldn't, not from lack of cash, but lack of ways to get you the money...thanks a bunch Drew! You have my undying respect. (though Milk Paton helped a lot... )

Oh, and as a consolation prize here's a little gift. the world!

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 22:28
WayHay! If only there was someway the tgc community could repay you

Team Artist, and Storyline Designer. [Team: Steve, Saikoro, and help from Megaton Cat]
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 00:58
Don't give up Drew. Try and think of another formula that you might have more success with and have another go. You've proven you're commited enough to finishing a polished product. Make sure you have another go man, and enjoy it while you do.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 04:55
@Drew: I tried downloading it and it says I need a DLL called d3d9.dll. I kinda wanted to play so could you help me out?

[center]It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)

He's back! With 20% less intelligence!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 05:24 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 06:03
@Manticore Night: That's a DLL for DirectX 9, maybe it's time to upgrade your DirectX, hmm?

@Drew: It's a shame to hear that the game has had bad sales. While I've never tried any of your demo's, I admit, the simple graphics put me off, I can honestly say it's a shame people haven't bought it.

It's a very nice game, and the two character gameplay gives a good puzzle element to certain parts; using both of their talents to go from point A to point B can get one thinking, and adds somewhat of a challenge to parts. The control scheme is nice a simple, and gets the job done (although, I'd kill to be able to strafe). The music fits very well with the game, and unlike many shareware/freeware games out there: the voice acting is pretty good compared to most, although seemingly blunt at parts.

A shame that people are so anal about graphics nowadays. A whole boatload of shaders here, millions of polygons there a good game does not make. Chances are that's why sales are so low too. Maybe if you put some reviews up on your website which show people enjoying your game?

AMD64 X2 3800+ | 1 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | BlueJ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Formerly NWC_Omega
Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 07:32 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 07:32
Sorry about your sales. Great game though!
I couldn't help myself, though. I saw how simple the characters were and made my own versions (mostly to see how fast I could do it). You can check them out in the attached file. Enjoy!(and best wishes for your next project)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks good enough I would tell you to go find a few indie publishers their always looking for quality stuff like this.

The admiral
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 08:40
V. Nice, drew!

Thank you for allowing the users of TGC to download this awesome game.

However, since you're still trying to sell it, and you are after only TGC members downloading it, I would suggest putting it behind a htaccess on your server, and then getting the members of this forum to post their email addresses.
Then, you email them the username/password, and they can download

At any rate, thank you again!

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
http://jt0.org
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 10:39
You are most generous.

I'm going to eat you!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 22:23
Hello again,

Mnemonix: yes you sure can put it on your disk! Feel free to stick the level editor on as well, you'll find it in Program Announcements.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 23:20
http://www.milkpaton.com/comic8.htm
is the word 'Correctly' mispelled for a reason or is that just some strange coincidence that the episode was about spelling yet you left out that single letter?

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 23:44 Edited at: 26th Jun 2006 23:45
What do you think?

Incidentally, The Spelling Inspector is in this month's episode, which may be out tommorrow night or Wednesday night.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 00:06
yay! a new milkpaton episode

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 02:27
Sweet monkey nuts!

A million thanks, Drew - and I'm truely sorry the commerical thingee didn't work out. Have a to drown your sorrows.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 02:43
or a ... here take two

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 13:11
One slight problem I had after completing the first level, was I just got a blank screen (with a splash wave sound effect). Had to press SPACE to get the loading screen for the next level.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Dont do anything I wouldn't do. But if you do, take pictures.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 17:30
No such code exists in the loading routine, it just takes a [I]really[/I] long time to load. You can blame DB and it's slow object deletion for the pleasure.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 17:54
Unfortunatly, I suffer from the same problem (but pressing space does nothing, so it's a Ctrl+Alt+Del for me).

The thing is, though, for it to load ANYTHING else, it's almost instantaneous, but to go from the end of one level to the start of the next... never ending blackness and background music

Seems a little odd, is all.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 18:18 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 18:18
I'll look into it. Later. MUCH later.

Torsten Sorensen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 21:25
Quote: "Sweet monkey nuts! "

I highly dought they are sweet...

Thank you drew, I played the demo for this a while back, and really liked it.

Torsten

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 05:38
Thanks Drew, I played the demo, but am terribly sorry I couldn't buy it. Thanks anyway.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, D&C is pretty good. I think it would do better with some nicer graphics though. You have some pretty cool particle effects in there that would greatly complemented with prettier scenery and characters (not new characters mind you just maybe cell shading or something), but all in all it was a fun game, the cinematics were good. Great job

[url=http://www.silver-dawn.net]www.Silver-dawn.net[url]
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Kick Ass. I plan to review it for my site (see the sig). It will link to your site, and maybe it will help get you some publicitiy, so you may get some future consumers.

- Cian

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 02:07
Cell shading is for lamers.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
What is wrong with cell shading? I dunno, I think it looks cool.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 08:05
It worked awesome for Viewtiful Joe, but seeing D&C cel-shaded would weird me out. I'm used to those lovable low-poly, uh, whatever species they happen to be. Dumbow & Cool rule.

I'm going to eat you!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 11:09 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 11:10
Wow Newsletter!

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 11:12
Its a huge event dude, your not giving yourself enough credit

Go to http://www.milkpaton.com/ for Awesomeness
Need php coding? Need your design to be coded? I need GFX. Contact @ webmaster@programmer-scripts.com
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 22:34
Drew,
So sorry, I think you should try to read more about advertising just so that you can earn money from your games. Look, Honestly, of one of the best two games ive seen here on the forums was yours. You do not need money to know your game owns (Unless you want it to buy something you've really wanted, then you shouldn't be reading this.) Even if you made this thread and others started insulting your game and making you feel bad in every way possible, just dont care, not because you're careless, but because you yourself know how good your game is, no matter how much people tell you your game sucks or rocks, only you can really know which it is. For instance, one can make a very basic 2d pong game, and one of his friends might buy it instead of getting World of Warcraft and says that its really cool, even though its not, you should also know by then that he's retard. But thats not important. Just be happy for completing a game, and not any game, but a good high quality game. I mean, just go to any computer store, you can just make a box for your game and no one would notice its "home made" or not commercial. Be happy for making a great game, and be happy atleast TGC (which is a rather large community) likes it.

P.S: Do not take the above personally if you're not that desperate about what happened.

Dling now!

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 11:46
Well, I'm not a quiter - but like I said in January there are other things I want to do now. And I don't have time for programming AND film making. It's just that simple.

Having said that, I am going to try and give D&C one last shot and maybe bite the bullet and pay the £200 odd to get the demo in a really big magazine. One last shot!

Thankyou for the kind words! They've really made my day today.

Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 20:17
You're welcome, now on to buisness:

How the hell did you make such realistic water?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 11:28
In Time Attack or Story Mode?

Story Mode it's a rectangular plain, Time Attack it's a rectangular plain combined with a model by David T (check his website) that's got a scrolling texture on it. Parlour tricks.

I don't like shaders is all

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is made perfectly. The graphics, and videos are fine for this sort of game. It wouldn't be a big seller however even with Mario, Nintendo, and the gang. So what you need is a big appeal game, and just do the same thing as last time.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 16:58
I really don't want to make games any more. I make enough money from other things these days which is one of the other reasons I'm not so tight about giving this away for free now.

HOWEVER - I am going to finish what I started, (never started a project and canned it) and so I'm still working on the big D&C upgrade! The Go-Karting game is getting quite neat ha ha

EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 18:02
Hey Drew,

I played with the demo in the early stages of d&c ages ago LOL! I wasn't to impressed then..

But now! I cannot stop playing it, well done for creating such an amazing/professional looking game with db pro.

Cheers man..
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I have already played through it once, and I will tell you... I have had the urge to play it again I was really surprised to see the cinematics in between levels. I thought it was a nice touch and helped make it look more professional and finished. Once again, good job.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 19:54
The storyline is perfect, IMO if you were to just touch up the graphics (I know you're going for the cartoony look but somethings could use some work) and lengthened the game a bit you'd have a seller on your hands that could compete with the likes of Think Tanks.

Then again in my experience online-play makes every game better, maybe the ability to share custome-made maps with other users, co=op story mode over the net, or maybe this go=karting idea you're working on... I dunno, I know you're losing interest in programming but this game has so much potential to be retailed.

Either way, extremely fun game so far, I've managed to beat it twice (heh, I mde the moving target thing in level 3 or 4 bigger hoping I'd get easier cover from the bullets, but I guess you're collision system uses pre-saved collision data because only the original target area registered as a safe zone from the gun turret

- RUC'

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I completely agree with RUCCUS

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 12:22 Edited at: 9th Jul 2006 12:26
Online co-op? I don't think that would really work. Think about it. Online suitable games are things like Unreal Tournament or Worms 2. And I fully intend to allow users to share maps: there is a level editor in Program Announcements, the only issue being nobody has sent me any levels so I've dropped that for the time being.

Quote: "I mde the moving target thing in level 3 or 4 bigger hoping I'd get easier cover from the bullets,"

If you wanted to change the target you'd have to be a bit more than just change the size of the object. Have a read of the code and see if you can figure it out.

P.S: Where the France or how the France did you get my source code?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 13:32
... I think he means, he put something else from the game next to the target as well... But it didn't work..?

Nintendo DS & Dominos :: DS Dominos
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 18:13
Quote: "P.S: Where the France or how the France did you get my source code?"

Maybe he haxed it or haxed the objects and enlarged them in a 3d app then exported with the same extension and file name

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 18:26
I didnt get the source... . All I did was convert the target.x to a 3ds object, import it in W3D, made it hella bigger and added some platforms to see if I could jump on em', and reconverted that new model back to x format, Jess had it spot on.

I guess you're right about online play, I just prefer facing or cooperating with other human beings in games instead of the computer.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 13:07
Quote: "I just prefer facing or cooperating with other human beings in games instead of the computer."

And that's why there's two player split screen!

The collision is all hard coded in the source code, so changing objects wont do much good. If you want to see how spaghetti codish my coding is, try swapping some of the level data files around.

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 14:22
I don't know if this has been addressed or anything, but theres nothing stopping my mouse from venturing away from the game and into my other monitor while playing, and when i click to jump if I had turned to the right, the game minimizes then crashes.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 17:20
Yeah, thats great, played the demo once and was very impressed

Sorry bout the Sales...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:59:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:59:09