Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DarkBASIC Professional can get you a degree!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 21:46
Yes, it's true people!

I snapped this picture in response to a thread on RTS games on the DBP board, but I thought seeing as I had I might aswell post it up here. This is proof that DBP can help get you a degree. Some of you might remember I did my final year dissertation on DBP. Well, I got 73% for it (which is a 1st class top level grade for anyone who doesnt know the degree marking system).

I went back to uni yesterday and picked up all my remaining work. Here is the badger in question. I like Cash's description of it being like a government report on DBP.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 21:56 Edited at: 18th Jul 2006 21:57
Now that's how true pimps roll.

Congrats on your report/book of sage wisdom. Now make me some monnnaaaaaaay.

New Catfolio.net coming soon!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 21:58
So what were your conclusions ? Can DBPro be used for a Real-Time Strategy game ? What would any limitations be ?

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Dont do anything I wouldn't do. But if you do, take pictures.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 21:59
The investigations all came back to "No" but he got 73% for trying.

New Catfolio.net coming soon!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 22:03
cool, now put your pants back on (referring to the crumpled up pair of jeans in the pic)

Science, Mathematics, and Physics do not lie - only people do.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 22:18
Congratulations dude! We all want to hear what conclusion you reached.

I'm going to eat you!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 22:18 Edited at: 18th Jul 2006 22:22
Hey man. In my house we're so rich we have like two pairs of jeans each!!!! But I was still naked!

Ahem. Uhh ... The report was mainly a direct comparison of C&C:Generals and what could be achieved in DBP. It's very hard to conclusively prove anything. All you can really do is provide evidence to support a hypothesis. I managed to support the notion that you could create a commercial quality RTS in DBP, although not necessarily top of the line - just something people would regard as very good and would be prepared to pay for. I also supported the idea that DBP can meet Generals in areas like sound, shadowing, visual quality, special effects etc.

Unfortunately, as with most peoples dissertations, I ran out of time towards the end, so couldn't go the whole way. It doesnt conclusively state you could make Generals in DBP, but that doesnt matter. The scientific process gets you the marks.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 22:40
Congrats on the project--- didn't know it was possible to get a degree by doing a case study I had to do a big project myself and ended up designing and implementing a programming language using C# and Direct3D

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 22:48 Edited at: 18th Jul 2006 22:48
Oh no matey, it's not a case study. It's a full on scientific investigation with a literature research, problem domain, specification, analysis, design, build, testing, result gathering and analysis, conclusions and further work. Generals was just my milestone. Obviously it was just one of 5 modules I had to do that year, but it was a double weight module. Unless its a research paper, a BSc dissertation should really advance an area of scientific understanding through investigation and experimentation and normally a build. In this case, I advanced scientific understanding by making an RTS. I think Computer Science courses get away with just doing a really hard ass complicated project build and avoiding the investigation bit, which is probably what you did.

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 23:44
wow!!
congrats man thats really cool

whos simon keating?

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 00:15
Oh him ... he'll only THE REAPER!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 00:36
Can we at least read/play it?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 00:43
lol. Operation Desert Fallout was it man! I'm gonna continue that later on after Claymore Island, so you will be able to play it eventually. As for reading my dissertation, you can do if you like. I can upload the word doc, but it's 80 pages of paiiiiiiin - not exactly fun reading. If you can handle that, you can read it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 01:04
Nice one, that would look really good on the main part of the site, you gave DBP an extra step in attracting people So what are you gonna do with this degree?

Well I have yet to apply to uni now, this has made your course look mighty tasty, but I made up my mind a long time a go

Oh and,

Have fun paying off your student loan for the next 30 odd years.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 01:52
Quote: "I think Computer Science courses get away with just doing a really hard ass complicated project build and avoiding the investigation bit, which is probably what you did."

Actually we had to do both My project was only half of my work-- the other half was a 125 page report, with research and the whole 9 yards. That was a pain.

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 03:58
If I open that report I'm expecting learn who killed Kennedy. Cash was right-on... it really looks like a government book hehe

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 07:42
Quote: "This is proof that DBP can help get you a degree."

You suck. I'm jealous I need to do my dissertation like that.

Quote: "I like Cash's description of it being like a government report on DBP. "

Haha. It totally looks like it could be The Secretary of Commerce's Report on the Impact of Swampland Habitats on the Price of Gasoline or something. Your report should ship with DBP. Then if someone was like 'uuhhh can dbp makee me a gmame?' then we could be like 'Read the report, twit!'.

Anyway, looks great. You should post it. I probably wouldn't read the entire thing, but it would be interesting to browse through.

Come see the WIP!
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 00:05
Fallout, you're in LegoLand with a massive hammer... you're Amy Rose! Run! Pink hedgehog!

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 14:15
*Requests an electronic version of that book*

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 14:22
Quote: "then we could be like 'Read the report, twit!'."

RTFR!

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 14:44
congratulations, thats interesting and enlightening to say the least.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 15:09
I'm a bit reluctant to post it up, because I get the feeling a few people are expecting some cool info on how to build and RTS, where as it's nothing about that.

It's purely an investigation whether its possible to make an RTS in DBP, and the conclusive isn't concrete. You couldn't actually refer to it and say "this investigation prove DB can/can't make an RTS of the standard of C&C:Generals". It doesnt really have any details on how to build an RTS, and only a basic description of what I did to make mine (i.e. I made the models in xyz, then I made a culling engine etc. It doesn't say how to make the culling engine ! I only had 10,000 words).

It's about defining a problem. In this case, not knowing if DBP can make a professional RTS of the quality of C&C:Generals. Then saying what I think the answer is. Then say what I'd have to do in order in order to support my answer (i.e. build an RTS based on Generals tech), a brief summary of how I designed/made it, an investigation into how close it came to proving my point (how good is it on par with Generals), then a discussion about how the whole project supports the idea that DBP can make an RTS on par with Generals. In this case, it supports that some of DBPs features are up to the job, but a lot of the conclusion is how inconclusive it is, as my RTS wasn't able to test all the technologies properly.

Now, if some of you really want to spend half an hour reading a report that scientifically doesnt prove very much, and won't help you in the slightest in building your own RTS, then I will upload it.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 15:33
Quote: "Now, if some of you really want to spend half an hour reading a report that scientifically doesnt prove very much, and won't help you in the slightest in building your own RTS, then I will upload it. "

Now that really does sound like a government report

Come see the WIP!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 16:42
Quote: "Now that really does sound like a government report "

Haha nice one, but is so true, government reports never do much

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 18:51
You got a 1st, so I'm kinda pissed. So rather than be supportive, I'll snort dirisively at "Multimedia Communications". So you spent 3 years watching TV or something?

[center]
But you see, I have the will of the warrior. Therefore, the battle is already over. The winner? Me!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 20:27
Yeah. Crap name for a degree which actually means "Advanced Networking with an emphasis on transfering Multimedia, programming with use of multimedia, webdesign with multimedia" isn't it?

That's why I lie on my CV.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 22:54
What was the result? Is DBP capable of doing a C&C quality game? I would think not, unless you had an army of programmers and artists.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 23:52
Inconclusive really. I supported that it could be capable, but wasn't able to give a clear definition. Only that technically the shadowing and sound engines could be as good, for example, but not all the real techy stuff. Once again, provided some evidence that it could be possible, but wasnt able to conclude for sure that it was. If I had've concluded that, I wouldn't have got a 1st class grade, because I didn't have enough evidence to say for sure. So it's on the fence really. But solidly and well backed up while sitting on the fence.

Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 00:25 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 00:27
Quote: "It totally looks like it could be The Secretary of Commerce's Report on the Impact of Swampland Habitats on the Price of Gasoline or something."

Found it.

(And just so this post has a point, I do think it's interesting that Dark Basic Pro can help someone get a degree, but I am not prepared to read that report you wrote. It sounds long, very very long.)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 04:10
Ooh, you found it. Good report. It doesn't really prove anything, but good nonetheless. I think that they drew a correlation between ketchup drip rates and gasoline too.

Quote: "What was the result? Is DBP capable of doing a C&C quality game? I would think not, unless you had an army of programmers and artists."

Or one Cash Curtis II...

Come see the WIP!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 11:09
haha. Cash, the game producing machine.

Fallout is a bit of a productivity ninja too. You should see Claymore Island progress. So far the whole demo level, full on level editor, character animator, main character, a few enemies, a few toys (forklift truck) and a powerful lighting engine almost done .... and that was all before I even got out of bed this morning ..... before I even woke up!!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:00:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:00:01