Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 21:46
Hi, A couple of days ago i was remaking a graphics engine type thing for a pool game i was going to make using Dark Physics. But unfortunately i couldn't be bothered making the pool game but got a quite far into the graphics engine. So i decided to give u all the code.
Here is a screeny:

and i've uploaded the code along with media. (i also squeezed it into a lovely function for you all)

If you press the upkey it gets rid of the outer reflection, and if u press the downkey it gets rid of the HDRI reflection.

its pretty simple stuff. Hope u find a use for it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 21:48 Edited at: 11th Sep 2006 22:00
O if you want to change the speed the shadow scales, Giving the impression the light is higher up.

Change on line 100
size sprite (s*4)+1,(x1#*(Scale#/200))+scale#,Scale#
and insert a larger value than 200.

(This is a remake of an older thing i did in about 2005. here is the link Link As you can see it was rubbish then, but same principle applied)

Comments welcomed!!!!

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 22:57
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 01:28
Thanks. You tested it out?

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 03:53
Any more comments?

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 12:10
yea, i tried it & i'm looking forward to a neat poolgame

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:04 Edited at: 29th Sep 2006 19:53
[Edit]

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:14
No offense, you take everything too seriously. Go outside and take a breath.

I didn't try it because I don't need shadows.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:17
Its not just this though. Its how every reacted when i won that banner compo. there is a pattern emerging here.

I just dont understand.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:25
Its because everyone on here is a geek. Get over it

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 12:19
Well, I think it's an interesting demo. But I don't think I would have any use for it myself. Most of it seems to be too fixed, as you use a 2D image specific for the object.

A "real" dynamic projected shadow map shader would have been something I could kill to get my hands on, however.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 14:02
Same as Xenocythe here. I read most of your post, but don't need the code, so didn't check it out. This is a very specific bit of code you're kindly offering up really, so I can't imagine many people needing it.

Also, if you win a compo like a banner compo, you're basically putting your artwork up for scrutiny. People won't just sit back and go "oh, this one won so it must be the best". People who don't like your banner are going to express their opinions. The same would've happened for anybody and happens for any artwork put into the public domain. I personally think a lot of those banners were crap. I've dissed a few of em!

I doubt there is a conspiracy here. If you provide code that is anything other than generic noob material, you're inadvertently aiming it at more experienced coders, who often are able to do it themselves, or don't troll the forums eating up all code snippets made available. And btw, if you win a compo that you founded, you're basically stepping into the firing line. There's a reason why competitions always say "This offer is not available to employees of [competition company]" in the small print, to avoid that sort of thing.

Hope that helps man. Nobody's out to get you!

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 14:58 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 15:02
Quote: "Its how every reacted when i won that banner compo. there is a pattern emerging here. "

Yeah, it's all part of a big elaborate plot to make you feel uneasy.

Everyone in the forums (except you) gathers every night on a dark spot that is convenient for everyone (somewhere in the middle of the ocean so we can split commuting costs), does their masonic handshaks and vows to not comment on your posts.

Of course they are throwing me out now that I posted this... darn...

Quote: "Nobody's out to get you!"

Don't be daft, of course we are.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 15:34
Quote: "Don't be daft, of course we are."

Well why wasn't I in on this?!?!?!

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:38
No im just wondering if its something i'm doing. The way i act or something.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 23:12
Quote: "This is a very specific bit of code"

Yea, but it shows a method how to do shadows that looks pretty cool.
You don't have to use exactly this code, but you can use his idea...

btw Fallout your game looks fantastic

Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 00:53
Quote: "Its not just this though. Its how every reacted when i won that banner compo. there is a pattern emerging here.

I just dont understand."

Actually, I liked your banner. I didn't see a damned thing wrong with it. All the ones I see up there now, theres always something missing...

The code you have posted above might be something I may need. I would like to start a 2D RTS but not like the old Age Of Empires, but more like Cossacks. I have figured quite abit out and am mainly down to terrain and shadows.

So the code you have provided may open my eyes onto the shadow part, terrain... well, I am still quite lost, but will get there.

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2048 MB Daul Channeled PC3200 Ram, ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256 MB
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 01:43
I live all the way in California. The gas costs are hell driving all the way across the us and into the ocean and back every night... Biggadd, I got nothing against you. Never noticed people dont reply to you. Alls I know is you make some kick ass stuff.

DrDunc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 06:45
Very snazzy little bit of code.
I could see the concept/idea of it being used for menus and backdrops all over the place.

Quote: "you're inadvertently aiming it at more experienced coders, who often are able to do it themselves, or don't troll the forums eating up all code snippets made available."

As an old and experienced coder... it's great to get snippets of ideas that are either new or remind us of the many different ways things can be done. It also inspires the driven few to use and improve upon these ideas and put them into practice.

I've attached a version of "Life" that I was playing with 1 year ago when I first got DBPro (Fun language!)
This is very messy as I was never intending it to be released to the public.... but I thought, Why Not!
If you run the "Game of Life" you can click in the 0 to 8 value ares to change how "Life" exists... have fun

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 16:30
Maybe you think it may not be useful, but it sure is cool.

Bmaczero

The upside to not thinking about the consequences is that you'll always surprise those who do.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 20:40
Very nice - it's given me some ideas.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 12:30
Thanks for your comments. DrDunc, i havn't played the game u uploaded yet because i haqve no dark basic installed. as soon as i do i'll try it out thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:31:54