Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

ConvSEO & SketchUp / Google SketchUp Model Design Competition - Info & Rules

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 13:32 Edited at: 1st Jan 2007 16:15
Hello all,

To celebrate the release of the ConvSEO Plug-In, The Game Creators are pleased to announce an on-going mini-competition surrounding it.

Competition Schedule

The competition will run over the course of 4 months as follows:

Month 1 (extra time given due to the holidays):
Runs from 15-Nov-06 to 22-Dec-06, with prizes awarded by 31-Dec-06

Month 2:
Runs from 01-Jan-07 to 26-Jan-07, with prizes awarded by 31-Jan-07

Month 3:
Runs from 01-Feb-07 to 23-Feb-07, with prizes awarded by 28-Feb-07

Month 4:
Runs from 01-Mar-07 to 23-Mar-07, with prizes awarded by 30-Mar-07

Objective

The objective of the competition is to create a SketchUp model that can be used in a DarkBASIC Professional Game. All you need to submit at this point is the SketchUp model itself. It does not have to be shown in a DarkBASIC application for this competition.

There are 2 categories of entries we are looking for.

Category 1:
A model that represents an entire game level - - like a building complex, a maze, or even a small town. The prize each month for the winner in this category will be a $100 voucher for TGC products.

Category 2:
A model that represents a component of a game - - like a vehicle, a vessel or a weapon. The prize each month for the winner in this category will be a free copy of the ConvSEO plug-in.

Rules

1. DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES ON THIS THREAD. This thread is for questions and comments only.

2. There will be a separate stickied thread for each segment of the competition. Make your entries by posting to the appropriate thread. Entries must be posted by midnight GMT on the last day of each part of the competition as stated above.

3. Entries must include a Model Name so they can be identified, and at least one screen shot of the model. You must also attach the .SKP file of the model. If any of these items are missing, the entry will be disqualified and your post will be removed.

4. If desired, your attached .SKP file may be archived into a zip file. The zip file MUST be capable of being unzipped with Winzip. No other archive format is permitted. Violations of this rule will cause your entry to be treated as if you did not attach a model.

5. Your model must be created by you. This means you cannot take a model from the Google 3D Warehouse, modify it a little, and submit it as your own work - although you are encouraged to use models from there as a reference to help you get started.

6. Entries that do not win in one month may be re-submitted in subsequent months.

7. You may use either Google SketchUp or SketchUp Professional. You may also use any textures, colors or other items that are included in the installation of the software and would thus be normally considered as "part of the package". If you use textures or images that are not included with SketchUp, they must be either in the public domain or used with permission.

8. By entering this competition you give TGC the right to use your model on their web sites, or other related media. You retain full copyright over your model at all times.

9. All decisions are final.

Judging

The users of any and all TGC forums are hereby invited to rate each model based on the screen shot provided as part of each submission. Votes may be placed at any time through out the entire length of each month's compo. Voters, please place your votes in the thread where the model appears so we can easily relate them to each other. Rate each model on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being highest.

TGC will select two winners per segment based on these ratings and will announce the decision in this thread within the time frames given above. The winners must then contact me by e-mail to arrange receipt of their prize.

My e-mail address is convseo@systemsinnovationinc.com.

Conclusion

Address questions and comments to me in this thread.

Now

Download Google SketchUp
Visit the 3D Warehouse for ideas
Check out the free component libraries

and then...

BEGIN!

Regards,
Mike J

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 14:26
very nice! now i have a way of possibily getting this plugin without straight up buying it

"One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs."
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 18:11 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 19:55
I already purchased it , but I can use the money on othe stuff!!
I have a question though, do you want the creations textured?

Your signature was too large.
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 21:46
@Urlforce,

That depends on the model you submit. If you feel you can produce a prize-winner without using any textures, then by all means give it a shot.

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe I do already but it's too beautiful for no textures so I'll work on it.

Your signature was too large.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 22:44
is it ok if we use some of the textures that come with it? or will that detract from it...

"One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs."
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 23:53 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 23:59
I have amended the Rules, above, to (hopefully) clarify the use of textures that come with SketchUp. Thanks for pointing this out.

As far as detracting from anything - - personally I would say that the ability to make use of what's already there would say a lot about your skills as a modeler.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 20:07
In the second category, why are people using sketchup pro allowed?

The prize is ConvSEO which is only needed if the person has the free version!

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 21:40 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 21:42
Diggsey,

This competition is about SketchUp models on their own merits. It would therefore be unfair to exclude either version of SketchUp in either category.

Also - ConvSEO imports from both versions - - and the 3DS export from SketchUp isn't all it's cracked up to be. Look at the link here for more info.

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi i was wondering if your allowed to used external models, for example some barrels created in another modelling program?

All bow down to evil
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 19:28
Vampiric,

Unfortunately I have to say no to that. The focus of this compo is designing with SketchUp and thus we would require that models be created 100% with that tool. However you are free to use the components that come with the program, which can be downloaded at no cost using the link at the end of the first post. Because they are offered by Google we are considering them to be "part of the package."

Of course, if you use components, you might want to consider embellishing them a bit in order to make your model stand out.

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
ooo im gonna enter this if i have time. i think ive model my school masive place 3 masive buildings. Also how would i get my model into dbpro i thyink i might use it for a game level when its been enterd in the comp

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
K thamks for clearing that up

All bow down to evil
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 16:07
To all,

I have modified the top-most post to clearly state that we are only interested in the SketchUp models themselves and that they do not have to be shown running in a DarkBASIC application for this compo.

Regards,
Mike J

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
in sketch up when i try put a roof on my model it blocks the acces of the stairs automaticly when i dont whant it to, how do i avoid this

Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 17:40 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 17:59
Dark Donkey,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you elaborate?

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Can we use textures that we create?

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 22:43
Black Mesa,

Yes, you can use textures you create yourself. The only thing we don't really want to see is physical geometry from an outside source (ie another modeling program) - we would like to see the physical model generated 100% in SketchUp.

phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
So can models from Sketch up be placed within FPSC with this TGC add-on?

When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it.
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 00:25
Phil17,

Not at this time. I am no FPSC expert but it's my understanding that the model would have to be converted to an FPSC entity first.

However I have been "officially" asked to look into this as time allows. Unfortunately I am up to my eyeballs with other work so that is on the back burner for now. Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't entertain a partnership with some FPSC guru that might care to make this happen.

phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
Sketch up is an excellent programme, and getting it to work properly with FPSC would be a dream. Im sure one of the guys will help you out, espically Butter Fingers he is innovating FPSC every day.
Cant wait to see how this devolps, Good luck.

When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 23:46
btw mike, I'm planning on entering if everything goes as planned.

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Chily Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 02:14
same here, sorry to hold out so long, but there are models coming...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 00:44
ah man!

i completely forgot about this ... doh!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:01:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:01:20