Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator 1.04 RC3

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 12:56 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 12:59
Hi Guys,

Find the new V104 RC3 version available from the following link:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC_104_RC3.zip

The changes made are as follows:

* Replaced the FPSC-MapEditor.exe with the original V1 version (reduces compatibility problems)
* Replaced the Basic3D using a new build of the DLL to facilitate FOG fixes (and future fixes - speed test alert)
* FOG colours now work again, not just black
* Brought FOG range closer than previous defaults, 1000.0 from camera instead of 4000.0 from camera
* Modified FASTBONE.FX shader to account for any FOG within the level scene

I have since added SETTARGETNAME, and plan to add the new FOG FPI actions for the next RC4, but I will be looking to resolve urgent showstopper and crash bugs as a priority. If you are experiencing problems with RC3 that you consider seriously bad, email me directly at lee@thegamecreators.com with materials and steps so I can quickly reproduce the problem. We want stability first, new features second!

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 13:17 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 13:18
first post woot!

downloading!

can i use the FPSC map editor that you gave the people who were experianced problems with this RC?

p.s ill let you know of any bugs.

Lewis From OsborneCreations.co.uk
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Using the demo version of FPS creator I get an error with title: Dark Basic Pro - Enhancements Pack Runtime Error, with just the digit 3 in the message label.

The machine has the sound card disabled 'cos that sometimes happens with users. Is that the source of the problem?

uff
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
downloading Now
Thanks alot
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 15:09
Woa, already a new version? I didn't evan had time to test RC2

When i get home, i'll start some testings (finaly, some free time).

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 15:13
If you guys need scripts to test the fog, go here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=71197&b=23

Just add the script to a trigger zone.

@Lee, the fog works great and the distance is much better, but the characters still aren't showing up correctly. If used static lights, no lights, dynamic lights, but nothing helps. They're not black anymore like they used to be, but they're adapting to the fog color now But in essence still the same problem, when using fog the characters textures do not show up at all. See attached screenshots.

Other entities seem to be fine, only characters are having this problem.

Another thing I've noticed is that Fog completely dissappears when you use shaders. I'm not using them at all for my games, but others may.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice patch... And RC4 is coming.. I can't wait.

How about improving the loading times and adding some kind of Clean Button...

Project FPS - 71%
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 15:50
Quote: "I have since added SETTARGETNAME"

I am assuming this is assigned to an entity (enemy) script to allow them to target each other instead of the player. Could someone please define the parametrs for this. SETTARGETNAME=?

Is it just the name of another character?
If multiple characters have the same name does it target all?
Can it be used for multiple targets in the same script using random?

Thanks.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:00
I can confirm what Ben has stated.
Whatever color your fog is that is what color your enemies will be.
I have tried changing the variable of the color,the color itself,etc.
You can also turn on the fog by changing your setup.fpi file.
Change the fog from 0 to 1 and then adjust red,green and blue to your taste.
Of course,Ben's fog script is probably a better idea at this point.
With the scancodekeypressed command it might be possible to turn the fog on/on by making a script for an entity.
Then instead of using a triggerzone to activate the fog you can just press a key to turn it off/on.
At any rate FPSC just keeps getting better and better.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:06
WOW!!! that was quick, going to download when I get back from school.

I love butter
Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Now you guys are getting me back into focus! I'll wait for RC4, as Fogs are not my main thing....

Formerly JMC...
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 19:57
Thanks Lee your a god in your own right!

RF

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:20
I'm getting errors now when testing a game, I never used to before:

'Runtime Error 105 - file does not exist at line 24141'

None of my previous games will test run so I started a fresh test; I loaded FPSC, placed a prefab [hanger large] and a player start marker and I still get the same error. Then I get the 'Extra Debug Info: 0 0' error and it all quits out

Mikey spike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:21
Sweet ! RC3 can't wait for RC4 woo lol ..... [/mentalspaz]
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:29 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 20:30
When i install it do i pick mod,repair, or remove and do fresh install.

already have 1.04 RC 2 installed.

Thanks a lot
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:33
Did anyone check the framerate their getting? I've tested my current game with this new version and seems to be slower then the previous version 104RC2

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 21:29
Ok, I uninstalled FPSC and all 5 model packs then reinstalled, it seems to be working ok now.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 21:30
Quote: "When i install it do i pick mod,repair, or remove and do fresh install."

Pick repair.

Quote: "Did anyone check the framerate their getting?"

Not yet...gues I wasn't paying attention to that.
But I am sure I will.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 21:37 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 21:38
Here's the crash text I got:

Quote: "[COMMON]
PathToEXE=C: Program FilesThe Game CreatorsFPS CreatorFilesCrashOn_11_28_06.txt
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=Internal Code:11023
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=18141"

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:05
Well, because of some new problems people are reporting, I actually going to skip this upgrade - though I had orignally gotten every update, this one doesn't seem to do enough to be worth it.

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 01:13
upgrade works fine with me, this is the only upgrade thats DOES work for me.

Lewis From OsborneCreations.co.uk
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 01:15
tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 08:19
thanks lee
one question. Will there be ever an update for a recoil effect?
ive always wanted recoil since ive been using fpsc.

no rush for rc4

thanks
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 12:26 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 12:28
@OldMan - yes the error is caused by not having a sound card present, which is a minimum requirement for FPSC.

@BenjaminA - find a link below to the latest RC4, I may have solved this fog color issue since RC3, run the game in the link and let me know what happens. Fog is not designed to work with shaders at this time. There may be a slight drop in FPS, due to the new Basic3D DLL being built on a different compiler. I did this so I can continue debugging at the deepest level for future issues. Can you do a side by side comparison of your speed drop, if it is not significant I would rather use the new DLL so I can bring about more sweeping bug fixes. Using the old DLL has its restrictions in what I can debug.

@tj990 - no plans for recoil or weapon enhancements at this time. Nothing wrong with voicing your ideas though, you never know where they might lead.

I always prefer to uninstall and reinstall, as you know you are getting ALL the files from the update program rather than a file repair by repair basis. Glad RC3 is working out for you guys, let me know if you find anything showstoppery, we want a great version for all you competition entrants!!

Here is the link to a small silent level using fog under a new RC4 I am working on. Does it solve the remaining FOG issue:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/V104RC4-FogTest-291106.zip

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@OldMan - yes the error is caused by not having a sound card present, which is a minimum requirement for FPSC."

If I build an FPSC executable will I be able to test for minimum requirements, and if the users machine is not up to spec then display a message, or would I have to build a front end in another language that calls the exe?

uff
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 14:43
Quote: "@BenjaminA - find a link below to the latest RC4, I may have solved this fog color issue since RC3, run the game in the link and let me know what happens. Fog is not designed to work with shaders at this time. There may be a slight drop in FPS, due to the new Basic3D DLL being built on a different compiler. I did this so I can continue debugging at the deepest level for future issues. Can you do a side by side comparison of your speed drop, if it is not significant I would rather use the new DLL so I can bring about more sweeping bug fixes. Using the old DLL has its restrictions in what I can debug."

Your new RC4 seems to have fixed the characters in fog problem, Aiko shows up perfectly in the test level, great job!

I did a side by side comparisment in the speed drop and as far as I'm concerned it's insignificant. It's not even a constant speed drop at all, it could well have been caused by something on my pc running in the background. So let it be and use the new DLL so we can have more sweeping bug fixes.

I figured fog wasn't meant to be used with shaders, just wasn't sure about it. I never use shaders at all in my games.

Looking forward to seeing the RC4 released so I can FINALLY incorporate Fog in my levels, I've been looking forward to that for such a long time.

It's great to see how FPSC is improving and the extra's were even getting due to all the hard work you do. A HUGE THANKS for that!!!!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 20:36 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 20:46
@LEE

Quote: "we want a great version for all you competition entrants!!"

I just downloaded, and I haven't installed yet.
But, with the features that you have implemented lately, I think you've got it.

Quote: "I have since added SETTARGETNAME"

So once we use ...
SETTARGETNAME=destination_spot
Then I can MOVETOTARGET the enitity running the FPI to the entity with that name?

Quote: "I always prefer to uninstall and reinstall, as you know you are getting ALL the files from the update program rather than a file repair by repair basis."

So I need to...

1) Back up everything
2) Uninstall Everything
3) Install v1 from CD
4) Install Model Packs
5) Install v104RC3

Is that right?

@BenA

Quote: "It's great to see how FPSC is improving and the extra's were even getting due to all the hard work you do. A HUGE THANKS for that!!!!"

Yeah, this contest is paying off before I have even entered it.
We are all winners already!

THANKS LEE & TGC & NVIDIA

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Benouz
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried the level :
the fog issue seems to be resolved.
I get a constant 33fps whatever i do (but the level/room is very small)

I've 2 points to reports :
- i didn't find the save option in the menu (?)
- when i press 'escape' the menu is shown but the walk animation of Aiko doesn't stop (she doesn't move)

But, Once again, the fog works well for me!!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 23:11 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 23:34
Lee, the save game / load game game menu options are gone from the build menu in V104RC3. I can't point to the menu buttons I want anymore

Can we please have those options back?

EDIT: actually, save/load is completely gone, also when you build the game, no more save/load at all

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 23:18 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 23:22
Yer, i also can't see the save/load in the build game.

Edit: I'll build a new game and see what happens

The one and only Davy B
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 23:51
Quote: "EDIT: actually, save/load is completely gone, also when you build the game, no more save/load at all"

Could it be because...

Quote: "* Replaced the FPSC-MapEditor.exe with the original V1 version (reduces compatibility problems)"

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:07 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 00:16
@ Benjamin A

Quote: "the save game / load game game menu options are gone from the build menu in V104RC3"

I build the game, ran it and the load button was on the menu, same in game play, but isn't in the build game menu.

@ Conjured Entertainment

Quote: "Could it be because.../Replaced the FPSC-MapEditor.exe with the original V1 version (reduces compatibility problems)"

I think you find the problem, maybe lee need to add the save/load into the original V1 fpsc-mapeditor.exe?

I'll email him and let him know.

The one and only Davy B
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:13
I have V 1.04 RC3 and my save/load works fine.
When you go to build your game click the "new" button.
Don't change the global settings.
Add your levels.
Pick your texture and shading options and build your game.
If you have a custom setup then after the game is built you can change the setup file of the built game with the custom one and add whatever media is necessary (for instance,if your custom setup.fpi file has a different skybank than than ww2\gas you will have to copy the skybank folder you want into the folder with the built game.
Hopefully one to the tweaks that TGC adds to FPSC down the road will be to allow to you make adjustments to the global settings and still save/load your game.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:06
Quote: "I have V 1.04 RC3 and my save/load works fine."

Thanks Fred,
I hadn't tried it yet, and after hearing it had no save load I was reluctant to install.

Glad to hear it was a user error and not the upgrade.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:00
I have serious fps issues with the current release - its erratic and very unstable with me. Dynamic entities - characters in particular seem to have a major impact on fps loss not existing in the previous version V1.04RC2 which was the best to date.

Has to be a smiley.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:26
Is it like every other update is fast, and the one inbetween is slow?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I have RC2 on my desktop and RC3 on my laptop. One version works on one computer and one on the other. But not the other way round.

I know it's next to impossible to get a graphic intensive program to function 100% on all the computers all the time.

If you're having issues with one version, stick with the "working" version. Just my 2 cents.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 09:32 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 10:11
Quote: "I have V 1.04 RC3 and my save/load works fine.
When you go to build your game click the "new" button."

You're right, I did that and the save/load appeared again. But no options for the save/load buttons in the build game menu.

But I did choose new when I did build my game, but I did change all of the settings, since all of the menus are custom build.

Quote: "Don't change the global settings.
Add your levels.
Pick your texture and shading options and build your game.
If you have a custom setup then after the game is built you can change the setup file of the built game with the custom one and add whatever media is necessary (for instance,if your custom setup.fpi file has a different skybank than than ww2gas you will have to copy the skybank folder you want into the folder with the built game.
Hopefully one to the tweaks that TGC adds to FPSC down the road will be to allow to you make adjustments to the global settings and still save/load your game."

I noticed that by now and that's unworkable for me, this isn't an option. My whole menu is custom and I'm not going to do everything by hand. It worked fine with 104RC2.

Quote: "I have serious fps issues with the current release - its erratic and very unstable with me. Dynamic entities - characters in particular seem to have a major impact on fps loss not existing in the previous version V1.04RC2 which was the best to date."

I'm going back to 104RC2 to test the same game and see what happens.

EDIT: I'be tried RC2 and the behaviour of my level is about the same as it is with RC3, no big difference noticed.

But the menus are back as they should be in RC2, so I'm staying on RC2 for now. Of all the updates V104RC2 seems to work best.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 17:32
Just found another bug with the save/load features.

Scenario: The player must collect a number of items and then leave through entering a door that ends in a winzone. The player has collected a number of the items (or even all of them) need and decides to save the game and quit. Next time he loads the saved file. He now collects all of the items and enters the winzone. BUT.... nothing will happen at all. The game will not end, but the engine seems to be waiting for unreached objectives. Saving doesn't register the number of objectives reached.

I've created a sample level with 4 objects you must pickup and then leave through the door. When you've got a number of the items picked up, save the game and either quit or finish the game.

Now load the saved file, collect the remaining items and go through the door. Nothing will happen.

http://files.filefront.com/saveloadtestzip/;6280917;;/fileinfo.html

This bug makes save/load pretty much unusable when using multiple objectives in the game

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, no... I hope you can fix this, Lee...

Good job on finding the bug, Benjamin

Project FPS - 71%
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 19:08 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 19:11
Very good patch!

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 02:33
Okay, for RC4 the new game exe should solve the FOG issue about a solid fog colour instead of a gradiance effect. The two major hitters to deal with are the apparent slow-down reported by UMAN about significiant speed-loss and increased instability of RC3, and whether this is isolated to his own project or more widespread. The second is the issue of how to fix the new map editor executable so it works with those users who experience crashes not present when using the original from V1. Here are my findings, and I want to hear from users who have found the new map editor in RC3 solves there problems.

MAP EDITOR EXE Differences (between V1 and RC3):

1. D3DX9_29.DLL is used in RC3, but not in V1 (users; have you updated to the latest DirectX?). This DLL was introduced in FEB 2006 version of the stubbornly named DirectX 9.0c!

2. The RC3 map editor uses a newer DBPro Sound DLL version, that preloads more DLL members (users; do you have the latest sound card drivers in your machine?)

3. More subtle DLL changes including the ODE and CONVX modules.

My experience tells me the map editor will crash as described if DirectX FEB 2006 or later has not been successfully installed. I invite any user who experienced a map editor crash in RC2 to prove me wrong.

I will monitor this thread before proceeding with the map editor issue. My focus as at 01:31 02/12/06 GMT is now on the speed issues pioneered by UMAN, for which I am awaiting a test version of his troubled level.

Any other showstopper issues, please report here for urgent attention. The battle continues...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 02:54
I have attached to this post a quick build of the MapEditor executable that does not use D3DX9_28.DLL but DOES contain the new load/save features and other animals. Let me know if this solves the map editor issue for those that think they have the latest version of DirectX and the map editor still crashes

Attachments

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 03:32
hmm, in your newsletter, it says RC4 is out.... i doesnt seem to be.... question mark?

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 04:37 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 04:42
Lee I emailed you with my report of what happened to my trying the new map editor.

========================================
Bug description
I made sprayed a small floor, added aiko unarmed, gave myself a custom weapon. went to test level and got the following error.
Runtime error 3001- Sound number illegal at line 13217.

FPS Creator Installation Information
----------------------------------------

File CRC32:
FPSCreator.exe : A9B24970
FPSC-Game.exe : ADB46F98
FPSC-MapEditor.exe : 84D5A4FB

FPS Creator current language settings : english

Language file information:
fpsc-050.ini value: 657
fpsc-050.txt lines found: 651

Bugreport: System Configuration

System Information
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dimension 8400
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 457MB used, 3484MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found

Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6800 GS
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
created with FPSC Bug Report Generator

If one downloads the picture instead of view, you can read the error better.

Mods, I put this post here, because Lee stated he was going to monitor this thread.

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83

Attachments

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 05:20
This is actually a crash in the FPSC-Game.exe program. I have attached the RC4 version of this file, let me know the new error line number when you replace the attached file with the file you currently have installed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 05:44
I applied the new .exe and used the same weapon and got the same error. This time I used the terrorstrike.fpm. The weapon was a custom one from butters. Acannon Maya Swatches. If I dont use that weapon, FPSC runs fine. So that's probably the problem. Right?

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 06:00
This is awesome folks...

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't know where to post this, so here it goes:
Can I use one of the screens of the newsletter as the main-screen of my game? (screens of FPS Creator X10)

I hope you can answer me ASAP

Project FPS - 71%
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 20:03
RC4 Killed my game, I emailed you Lee.

Frame rates dropped from 32-33 to 24-26'ish.

Characters still white.

RF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:24:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:24:09