Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP & Team Request - SeaDome

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:14
Quote: "nothing much has happened in the coming hundred years"

Technology doubles every 8 months

Meh. Signatures. Lame :p
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:17
I would have thought that humans would evolve past the need to make spherical objects and discover a new shape with less than zero corners.

I must say that I'm looking forward to the first *big* display of this game, when we see what you've done so far. Please, please let it be as awesome as my mind makes it out to be!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:22
I find it hard to give technology a value, but I guess that if we continue as we do now, nothing much will change at all. More computerized houses, voice control, advanced AI. Faster & better. I don't expect flying cars nor "I, Robot"-scenes.

Quote: "I must say that I'm looking forward to the first *big* display of this game, when we see what you've done so far. Please, please let it be as awesome as my mind makes it out to be! "

I sure hope so too . We won't have a big display until we feel we can meet up to the expectations. The first demo or viewable content will not come until at least all points from the basic development goals have been reached, maybe an occasional cinematic, screenshot or similar. The first *big* display will most likely take several months.

It's done when it's done.

Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:49
Ah, so this is what tha_rami is doing when he's not complaining in threads.

Look forward to this. Want to comment more, but Ill wait for the latest screen in this thread.

Mico
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:57
Aah, Micophone, come on, I'm a friendly guy - I help out whereever and whenever I can...

Glad you're looking forward to this .

diesel 1064
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 23:29 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 00:27
Let me know if I can help out with any sort of modeling or animating. Here is a link to some of my older stuff (2 years ago) I have been attending animation school and I have not had a chance to expand my portfolio, I think that assisting on your team can help us both out. Just let me know.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=114196&b=3
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 03:23
We're very interested. There's no way to contact you, but please do sign up at our forums at http://vector4.co.uk.

Your mod has been erased by a signature because it was larger than 600x120.
diesel 1064
Years of Service
User Offline
tha_rami, I registered and my name is Diesel1064
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 17:49
Thank you. In the meanwhile, you said you were good at animation. If you're interested in another project for your animation skills (Seadome will be focussing on static environment/scenery first), there's also the TGC Heroes project on the WIP board. We would be very glad to have a good rigger/animator.

diesel 1064
Years of Service
User Offline
Rami, Your doing two games at the same time? I can do some character animations if you want. I am not too familiar with how to export them out of Maya to be put into a game. I have mainly done short film stuff. I can animate fighting moves and sequences or just cinimatics if you want. Just let me know.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 20:06
I'm doing three at the same time plus helping out at another one - TGC Heroes, Seadome, Wartorn, Evochron: Renegades.

Do you have e-mail? You can mail me at my address (hoover the email button) so we can chat there. Thanks .

diesel 1064
Years of Service
User Offline
I sent you an email Rami
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 03:59
It's nice to see a team thing being done properly. Maybe it'll catch on. I look forward to seeing/playing the fruits of all your labours.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 05:12
It's how I do things. I do them right or I don't do them.

But there's room to play, of course.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 20:48 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2007 00:11
Hey there, this game looks worth watching! More interesting than the standard "ooh pretty guns!" fair of most games these days.

I do have one question, though, and it might offend you a little (sorry): This game sounds like BioShock but without the utopia, the Art Deco, the 50s atmosphere or the flexible combat. (Or the AMAZING twist, but the less said about that, the less people will be spoiled.)

My question is: what selling points does this game have that Bx doesn't? From your comments to far it sounds like this is a gritty, (semi)realistic journey into the heart of the human condition, and what happens when your back is against the wall. If you can work that into the story, and have a compelling narrative (and, of course, a mystery running all the way through wouldn't hurt either) then this game will be thoroughly interesting. If, however, you don't really push at those themes, then it'll be fun, sure, but not the masterpiece that it could be.

My 2 cents...

EDIT: I read through the design document and it seems pretty intriguing, actually. If you can pull off everything that was in that, then you'll have made a game that's unique, and really worth making.

3D game making is a combination of pc crashes, yelling and coffee.
I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 06:19
It's really strange, but I first heard of BioShock when my first concept drawing was complete. At first I thought 'what the... the next System Shock is coming and it has the same setting! Damn!'. Then I heard about the Plasmids and the likes and I thought... aaah, lucky me. They're going the other way.

Where I'm going is a realistic world in which a player feels at home. Nothing is strange about the Dome. There are some semi-futuristic things, the computers look better and there are some robots... but no funky Halo armors, no endless ammo, no regenerating health - no uberweapons. No, everything will be sparse and every death a tragedy in itself.

The selling points for this game are a unique approach to FPS, realtime submerging and indeed, a gritty (semi)realistic journey into human condition with the back against the wall. And a mystery? Perhaps. Would you need to know what happened exactly? Or would you prefer to leave it to your imagination?

This game will be done when it's done. Will be affected by choices we must take to make it. It will be either as we want it, or scrapped. And I'll never scrap it - even if it takes years and has to restart twenty times. The concept is worth it.

hessiess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 17:10
Quote: "And I'll never scrap it - even if it takes years and has to restart twenty times. The concept is worth it."

what about if it takes 70 years and were all dead?

learn blender, you will never regret it.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 21:51
Thanks for replying - this does have a certain appeal to it, in the sheer simulation aspect. (Also, I LOVE HUDless games - Call of Cthulhu is one of my favourites.)

Quote: "And a mystery? Perhaps. Would you need to know what happened exactly? Or would you prefer to leave it to your imagination?"

I'm assuming that this little pointer suggests that the plot is going to be good, and will have a mystery but that you're not letting on at the moment. If you do provide the means to learn the plot, then I'll search for the answers until it kills me!

One cool idea might be that, by the very nature of the game, you have a certain time to finish it. So, you could make it so that you might have to sacrifice some time in order to find out some plot. (I'd go for plot every time, meh!)

3D game making is a combination of pc crashes, yelling and coffee.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 05:44 Edited at: 4th Oct 2007 05:44
Quote: "I'm assuming that this little pointer suggests that the plot is going to be good, and will have a mystery but that you're not letting on at the moment. If you do provide the means to learn the plot, then I'll search for the answers until it kills me!

One cool idea might be that, by the very nature of the game, you have a certain time to finish it. So, you could make it so that you might have to sacrifice some time in order to find out some plot. (I'd go for plot every time, meh!)"

You might just find that searching for the answers costs you just that minute that submerges that one door you need open for the next clue.

You always have a certain time to finish it . Most of the game will be random and on the fly, depending on who is alive, who isn't and the water level. Quests are nearly unexistant - most of the time you'll be trying to survive, find a way to get the last sub active and escaping flooding buildings.

There'll definitely be plot hints on the PCs (think Deus Ex) and conversations... But a mystery? Let's keep that a mystery for now...

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 23:52
Okay okay okay! This game is certainly aiming high, I'm eagerly anticipating it

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 01:53
Quote: "This game will be done when it's done. Will be affected by choices we must take to make it. It will be either as we want it, or scrapped. And I'll never scrap it - even if it takes years and has to restart twenty times. The concept is worth it.
"

Good to see someone with the same persistence as me, since that's my feelings with PoPR .

Quote: "You might just find that searching for the answers costs you just that minute that submerges that one door you need open for the next clue."

My only...problem, if you could call it that, with SeaDome, is that what would you do if your last save was before you died but after your escape route had been cut off? One thing I would suggest is to always have an escape route available, just make them harder or only have one available at a time. For example, a ventilation hatch at the top of the wall that was electronically closed, and after the water rose to a certain level, it shorted out the circuit board that controlled the opening and closing of the hatch, opening it only after a certain water level, thus giving the player another option should they not be able to find the first escape route . Just a suggestion .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 01:57
Such things are builtin. Of course, a player can swim and completely submerged doors will be openable. Only pressure differences will lock a door tight.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 12:17
Might I also suggest an autosave system, which saves at certain important points (if they can be determined in such a free, unscripted world) or, say, every 5 or 10 minutes? Still keep the built-in "always one more escape route" idea, but the autosave would just be a backup I guess.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 18:13
Nope, no autosave. Only saving at set points (i.e. the Metroid system).

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 00:50
In that case you'll have to really work at making everything open and have no dead ends. But if you manage to do it right it'll really benefit.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 03:52
Well, yes. Most buildings will have many escape routes. Some buildings will have a few. The Encampment, for example, will have few - but the doors are non-electronical so they open with even pressure, and the windows are breakable... So - it should work.

Most escape routes will be vent shafts, by the way. Metal Gear Solid style .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 05:08 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 05:08
I've got something to admit. Seeing that lately there've been rumours that Seadome is dead, I'll admit that in a way, it no longer exists. However, that does not mean there is no progress.

The original idea of Seadome was to provide a game in DarkBASIC Pro that was as far as we could push the engine. However, our main programmer has been discussing things with me and a few weeks ago we voted upon to kill that focus. Instead, we're trying to push ourselves to the limit with what we can do.

I am sorry to inform you that this change of focus includes us moving away Seadome from DarkBASIC. This migration is the sole cause of the delay in updates, as we had to port all of our progress to the new engine. Danny has been doing a great job at that and has given Bozzy and Casper a C++ 'education'. He will assist them in grasping their new programming language. The delay, sadly, did cause the team to lose trust in one of our most active members. As much as I regret this, I do support the teams' decision to remove this member from the team.

This is only relevant to the Seadome project, and as far as I know not relevant to any other DBC/DBP project of mine or of any of the other members of the team. It is a specific measure taken to be as able to create Seadome as we envision it.

However, the situation now leaves me with two options. First one is to refrain from further updates here and adhering to the WIP rules. If so, I would prefer that Seadome gets moved to Programming Talk. Second option is that I try and keep Seadome in the WIP section. I see no use or reason to do so, though, unless on popular request.

In other news, we are looking for an asset 3D modeller, and a level modeller. If you're interested, do visit http://vector4.co.uk/ and click 'contact'.

I thank you for your hopefully ongoing support.
Rami

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 00:28
Sad to hear you've hit a kink in the road, but if you need to use a different programming language then go ahead. Although having it in another language will might make it (for us TGC members) less interesting from a technical standpoint, it's good that you put the game's quality above any small things like that.

As for the thread discussion - well, I don't mind staying with this thread but it would be a little odd having a non DB game in the DB WIP section. I vote for a new thread in programming talk, as long as you make clear, in the first post, why this WIP is not in the WIP. (ie. because it's not DBP related)

hessiess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 21:56
are you throwing me off the team? i still want to modal for the game, i admit that i was the scorce of the romers of sea domes death, it was wrong of me to post about it, it is not dead

i am verging on being the best moddaler here, I have seen work better than my own on this forum, but i forget where.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i am verging on being the best moddaler here"

Hmmm... Really. Ever seen Jonathon Fletchers work? Or Bond1s? They produce gaming standard you are better for animated films. So I can see you getting a job at pixar or something like that when you get the chance.

hessiess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 23:03
@ deathead:
i sead i have seen better here i have a verry good understanding poles and edgeloops, witch aplys to both high and lo poly work. producing modoles witch look good in a game recwires very good texture painting skills, witch i do not have (yet ).

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 00:37
Quote: "i am verging on being the best moddaler here, I have seen work better than my own on this forum, but i forget where.
"

I wouldn't go around saying stuff like that though. There are people around here that can eat your lunch in modeling, no offense.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 02:40
Could any of the mods tell me if this can remain here or should be moved to Programming Talk, and if so, if it can be moved like that?

We've been busy creating a Seadome plugin for IrrEdit, which allows us to quickly and efficientely create buildings and settings for Seadome. On the other hand, we had to say goodbye to Bozzy, who left the team due to other responsibilities. We thank him for his input on the project. Danny has been working on the engine, and seeing hessies is gone, we'll be in need of modellers when the time comes. While I've got an eye on several modellers I'll be contacting through e-mail, we're still searching for people. Also, Bozzy's open spot is a spot for a C++ programmer. Anyone interested in any of the open positions can sign up at our website.

So, basically, we're making good progress and enduring the setbacks. It's annoying not to be able to show the code-stuff visually, though.

Seadome will be completed.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 05:21
Thats good to hear, the "It will be completed part". I think it will be a fun game. However I think you should still post screenys even though its not in DB. I mean it's still technically a WIP.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 05:51
I've made it good practice to get all my projects I'm involved with to the end. That means you'll all be seeing Wartorn: Battlefields, TGC Heroes and Seadome completed.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 21:08 Edited at: 16th Nov 2007 21:09
Good luck rami and the rest of the team. It is looking like an amazing game!

Cheers,
Bozzy

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 21:11 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 21:12
Good luck, tha_rami. You got an very interesting concept, and even though I do not agree with the basic view on humanity it has (not saying it´s an bad story, it´s one of the best I´ve read for an game, just the everyone-would-do-it part I don´t like), I will definatly keep on eye on it . Because it seems to be able to become an very good game.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 03:54
Heh, you'll find out that not everyone will do it. Not everybody can kill to live.

You will however, also find out that there's a reason for the player wanting to escape alive. And finally, you'll find out that to complete this goal, you'll have to kill your friends... or die yourself...

In the end, your conscience will be of importance to how the game ends.

In other news, progress is good - we're working on getting a basic engine test running in a small two-floor testbuilding. It will feature any environment option in the game (NPC's not counted) and support rising water.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 14:41 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 14:44
Ok. As I´ve already told you (with my other account): I do not doubt some people would do this, but I hardly think everyone would. So your story is very good, in my eyes. Just keep up the good work.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 18:22
Heh, if you have the choice between getting shot or trying to take out the other, I'd know what I'd try.

Thanks .

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way, I´ve read on your Seadome forums a little now. One thing I noticed was this thread:
http://seadome.yourbb.nl/viewtopic.php?t=53

If you´d like, I could try to help you by creating characters with an background that would be good for this game. I´ve written a copple of storys, and one of the things I´m good at is creating characters. So I would gladly help with that.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 20:37
Do sign up on our forums, then.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:56
Something just occured to me: is this part of the Wartorn universe?

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 02:07
Haha... Crap, Bizar Guy. In Wartorn, humanity has mostly forgotten about the expansion into space, and Seadome is a first step to space colonisation... You'll find out if you read Wartorn .

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I´ve signed up on the forums. Have an post in the "Team" board .

Quote: "Something just occured to me: is this part of the Wartorn universe?"

That would just be wiered if it where true... in an kind of very interesting way.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 02:08
Imagination is weird... in a kind of very interesting way.

5Louiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 14:06 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 21:39
Post removed as consequence of declared lack of interest. Tea? Cheers.

Michael Jackson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 14:57
hello ! good project ! thank you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:36:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:36:36