Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Principality of Mars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 20:36
I like it but when you hold it, it should be a bit smaller plus I think you should fix the texture stretching.

join the x games forum: http://www.fps-x-games.com

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 22:10
I'd love to see that shot gun animation (Hint hint)

Goosebox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 00:24
this is some nice stuff, i cant wait for its release

User of Intell(R)1.86GHZ CPU, 960 MB RAM, 256 MB Memory Graphics Card.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 12:16
Small Fish.

Send me that beautiful robot and I'll tame him into FPSC for you.

THe shotgun looks great.I think you should make a company name for it... like

The Vorbis & Maleprop Cycleshot.

Anyway. Looking great dude, I can't wait to see more. Good job to your sis with the skybox too, looking great.

Anyway. This is beautifully original, and I can't wait to see it in action.
Best
Butters

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 15:20 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 12:47
right I've got some bad news my computer been playing up recently lot of little bugs corrupted file it won't write CDs properly stuff like that but when I tied to export my models I made with milkshape today the x files where corrupt I tried both X exporters and had the same problem I tried uninstalling and reinstalling milkshape and that did'nt solve the problem so I'm going to reinstall windows xp I've backed all my new work on to my memory sticks so I should be fine but it's going to take ages to get everything reinstalled I don't think I will be able to carry on work for the next few days until I can get things sorted out. But before I do all that If you want me to record the Cycleshot firing with FRAPS I can do that and post it on youtube and Butters thank you I will send a copy of rusty to you tomorrow I really appreciate you help and I will now call it the Vorbis & Maleprop Cycleshot.
(EDIT) right sorry I didn’t post you rusty on Saturday like I said I would butters I'm sending it to you right now

the world is complicated only people are simple
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 14:47
OMG I hate Microsoft.. That totally SUCKS

i feel really bad for you.

pain

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 18:25 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 18:26
Dang, that sucks.

I have the same problem with FPSC when I updated past v1.06

it wouldn't load my milkshape files, although it said they were fine in anything else.

Try installing 2 copies of FPSC. One copy in V1, and one updated.

Once you have exported your model, put it into FPSC V1 and load it into the editor. Then copy everything (the DBO and the bin too!), into your V1.06 folder. It should run ok.

It's something to do with the updates being compiled in the update of DBpro.
My Milkshape models wont load into the DB update, I have to convert them into DBO files in FPSC V1 first!

Anyway, I just saw That I've got rusty in my inbox, so I'll have a play tonight, and see what I can do....

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 16:37 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 16:37
ow I didn’t know you could have more than one copy on a machine so what do you do install one then upgrade it to ver 1.06 then when you install another it will create another fpsc instead of just reinstalling the V1.06 copy?.
anyway I just got started on reinstalling everything haven’t seen if that will sort out milkshape problem yet I will tell you all tomorrow

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 16:43
hello everyone I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a long while but the internet café has been closed anyway I’ve got some bad news my computers not been well for some time for years it’s had little bugs but recently they been getting worse then a couple of weeks ago I discovered that all the X files I make with milkshape are corrupt so I reinstalled windows thinking that would get read of the problem but when I reinstalled all my backed up work what ever this problem is came back with it. If I export the ms3d file to fragmotion then export it from there they work fine but my trail period on frag is going to run out soon so I have 3 chooses 1 I find another modelling tool 2 I finish the game with what custom models I have at the moment which will be tricky I haven’t made any of the main character models yet I could just use artwork for the cut scenes 3 reinstall window xp and start right from the beginning not using any of my old work which would mean that the game would take years to make. Now for the good news most of the games levels are done and if I can get milkshape or another modelling tool working I might be abill to finish the game in about 2 months here is a picture of a tank I was working on

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 17:47 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 17:51
Hmm, so you basically load an ms3d file into fragmotion and then just export it out into .x without doing anything to it?

I have 3D Canvas Pro - it doesn't allow me to import or export ms3d files but it can do 3ds, dxf, bvh, x (obviously), iob, lwo, md2, nof, raw, rwx, cob, wrl, obj, nff, xgl and zgl. I assume you're using milkshape for modeling? If so, maybe you can export to one of those formats in milkshape, send it to me, and I could export it into x format. If that doesn't work maybe I could download milkshape (it's free, isn't it?) and you could send me the ms3d and I could do basically the same thing. Of course, that would mean I'd have to do the animations (which I don't mind at all) but you'd probably want to do them yourself, so you have more control over how everything fits together. Animating in 3DC has never been a problem for me (except that you can only have a certain number of frames) so I'd be happy to do any animating if it's the difference between custom and stock media for PoM.

I just think it would be a shame to finish the game using only stock media and retextured stuff: retexturing is good but it can only go so far. Some of the tanks, weapons, etc. in this game would be represented far better if they were custom, seeing as how it's so unlike most marine-stuck-in-a-concrete-base-with-aliens shooters.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 19:05
i know this would take some time but any conversion needs you may have with faulty ms3d files I would be happy to help

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 14:09 Edited at: 9th Jan 2008 14:22
you fellas are the best I already thought of importing into other files and useing other tools and at the moment I using a trail version of AC3D. But I'm worried that the next thing to break will be fpsc if that happens I'm ruined because if I backed everything up and reinstall windows and then reinstall my stuff fpsc would just break again so with that in mind I'm trying to get the game done as quick as possible I worked on the game all day yesterday and got a lot done the main game is pretty much finished I just have to get the huds the loading screens the custom characters all the little details done. I’m trying to make the game as steam punk as possible but it’s not easy steam punk is a hard thing to pull off everything’s got to have gears and pipes and takes forever to model. Thanks for the picture of CONSUL you sent me darth I will put it on a newspaper in the game thanks also for the voice recordings there nice the female one sound just like aperture science computer from portal

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 18:22
Quote: "I worked on the game all day yesterday and got a lot done the main game is pretty much finished"

Well done, we all really appreciate the work you've done! This is part 1 of several, right?

Quote: "steam punk is a hard thing to pull off everything’s got to have gears and pipes and takes forever to model"

And, of course, in FPSC low-poly stuff is a must otherwise it slows right down. A fairly good checklist for "Is this Steampunk?" is

-Does it have gears, pipes or moulded glass etc etc?
-Does it *kinda* look like it might *sorta* work?
-Does it look insanely complicated?
-Does it evoke a Victorian feel? eg. A hatstand with twisting snakes wound round the pole might not have any gears or pipes, but it still looks a little Steampunk (especially if you put a top hat on it).

And if you do need any models, drop me an email. I'm busy with exams till the weekend, but after that I should be able to model some stuff if you need it.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 20:48 Edited at: 9th Jan 2008 20:48
Quote: "I worked on the game all day yesterday and got a lot done the main game is pretty much finished"

Nice! I hope you can get a new comp soon or even one that is used but equal or greater power than what you have currently. I hate that the machine is holding back such indepth games.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 22:09 Edited at: 9th Jan 2008 22:12
Quote: "steam punk is a hard thing to pull off everything’s got to have gears and pipes and takes forever to model"

Well, to pass the time I thought I'd make you a door.

The attached file has a picture of the door (front and back) as well as the door in .x and .obj format. I animated it, so I hope that's been retained in the export.

It's not textured or FPSC ready, but hopefully it should save you some time. I designed it to be used in the later levels of the game, but maybe you could find somewhere it would fit in the first few.

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 14:23
Darth Kiwi I am amazed at all the stuff you are doing when this game is finished it will be as much yours as mine in fact there are a few things you could do for me if you could make a few Londoners an old fashioned looking police man that sort of thing and I'm not entirely happy with my big ben model so if you want to make your own version that would be more than welcome.
Also my sister has started to paint the title art here is a basic concept she put together to show me what the finished piece will look like

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 18:25
Ha, very nice artwork, it sums up the idea perfectly. I'd suggest putting in some more stuff: it looks quite bare with just the Prince sitting in the middle of the room. Maybe some soldiers or courtiers or something? I realise it's just a preliminary sketch, of course.

I shall get to work on modeling right away.

Also, interesting fact: according to QI (that show with Stephen Fry) Mars is not at all red. I mean, I thought it was orange but it looks much more like a boring brown.

http://www.urania.be/sterrenkunde/images/mars-groot.jpg

NASA actually tampered with the colour of the latest Mars-pictures taken by a probe or whatever to make it look more red, to tally with public opinion! I say we keep Mars red, though. For one thing, it looks better, and for another, if NASA can do it, I think we're entitled to!

wowblobby
Years of Service
User Offline
wow you beenworking on this for almost 2 months i like it

touch the cat fell my bat
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 18:03
I would say thankyou but I think most of the work on this thread thus far has been done by smallfish

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 12:50
thank you wowblobby and you should take some more credit to DK if it weren’t for you half the cool stuff in the game wouldn’t be there anyway I sent a email to D13 about voices he will be glad to help and thanks you so much for helping with the models.
also I just made a game executable with all the stuff I've got so far so even if my computer dies a horrible death you will all be able to play something

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:01
Good to hear about the voices and the exe - looks like this is coming together nicely

Quote: "you should take some more credit to DK if it weren’t for you half the cool stuff in the game wouldn’t be there"

Thanks!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 16:32
right the game is about 75% complete I just have to make the menu the loading scenes the cutscene and a few models here is a picture of the HUD

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 16:36
here is a picture of a blimp I'm working on

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 16:38
and anouther screen shot

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 16:40
and here is an image of a character being made by Darth Kiwi for me

Attachments

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 17:03
The white on the hud doesn't seem to match the rest of the hud. Maybe try adding some sort of texture or color to it, so it isn't so distracting.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 18:01
I suppose tinting the white boxes in the HUD might make it look better. I love the dial though, and the font.

The blimp is great - the fins really add to it. I'd suggest rounding off the bottom a little, and maybe making the "carriage" a bit smaller (real life blimps have such small compartments, although of course you could argue the Steampunk/Alternate society has improved the design).

The Manor shot looks very nice! If it's where I think it is, it's as I envisaged it almost to a T.

And, uh, he WILL have hands and a head soon! Don't worry. No headless people here.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 14:32
hmm good advice gunn3r I will try different textures here is a picture of the in game menu. Also I want to point out that Darth Kiwi has been kind enough to create and theme tune for my game on the violin it's very good.

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 17:37 Edited at: 21st Jan 2008 17:38
Very nice, very Thiefy. I think the box (EDIT: The box in the middle of the screen) looks a little bland - maybe a cog on one side and a pipe on the other would make it look better? Loving the dials in the corners, though!

And, yes I did record a theme tune on the violin. I also used Anvil Studio to create a piano part (since piano is one of the few instruments it does well). It's slow and melancholy I won't post it since, well, if we feed people titbits there's not going to be as much unseen game left for people at the end!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 21:49
Violin music always seems to accompany games...

That menu looks pretty good. Again, the white is a little overpowering. Maybe change it to a beige or tan color?

[/url]
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 22:18
Quote: "Violin music always seems to accompany games... "

Except for Deus Ex! I think that's all techno, right? I know what you mean, though: BioShock went to town with its solo violinist. Just STUNNING! Can't think of any off the top of my head except the Dark Eye, a (very) little known game based on the works of Edgar Allen Poe. That was weird but very very fun.

I think the violin goes well with the whole Neo Victorian (that is, Steampunk) setting. Orchestras and Industrial montages would be, I assume (having little hardcore Steampunk experience) the core of this genre's music.

Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 23:16
wow, those are some trippy weapons.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 15:17
your comments are appreciated I will try different textures and colours for the hud but at the moment I'm working mostly on entities here is a picture of a post-box I made

Attachments

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 15:27
That looks really good. The texture is slightly out of focus, but it fits the model pretty well.

[/url]
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 18:54
Ooh, lovely. That'll look beautiful on the London streets.

Finished that character, btw. He has hands and a head

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 15:55
hi everyone I've been having trouble getting a robot character called Rusty animated for some reason whenever I exported it from fragmotion it was invisible I checked the textures and thay seem normal but I had found a way of getting him in unanimated without looking to odd I given him tank tracks and a gun for a arm it's not perfect when he moves around he still makes a walking sound effect but apart from that it works pretty well

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like the way this is turning out. I played your other three games and I enjoyed them. I am looking forward to seeing this one in full. Keep up the great work.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 23:15
Actually, I think tank-track Rusty might look more steampunk than the old one pity about the footsteps but ah well.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 17:59
thanks for the complements starmind 001 and my old friend Darth Kiwi if it weren't for people saying nice things I would have stopped trying to make games along time ago

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 02:20
ok interesting game and I like the storyline,but im guna be blunt. It is some what chesse, I would wrok on that. But I like the fact that its very very out there. When I say that I mean no one els is guna have ever seen anything like this befor, its not origangle and i like that. also in your 1st pic i wouldnt have the bars and roofing coming out of the windows. Also I would have some more entitys that are rusty and dirty, you are on mars you no and from what i get the world is falling apart. Just dont make everything to colorful and happy. but the game and all the models look great!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 17:43
thanks for the complement I suppose you right about the cleanness of some of the items and as for the plot I really like it I can't be the only one sick to the back teeth of shooting terrorists and nazis I think as independent game developers that are just making these games as a hobby that don't have to worry about pleasing a wide audience should always try to make something a bit different

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 23:05
Quote: "Also I would have some more entitys that are rusty and dirty, you are on mars you no"

Well, actually, you're not on Mars the entire time... But thanks for the criticism, I think it helps improve the game, and is far more useful than a sort of "lol best game evaaar!" post

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 00:02
you are exatly right with the criticism thing. Myricals arc would never be ware it is today with out it. the 1st guy to really give me some criticism. is now one of the coreators of myricals arc and becuse of him i meant a guy in his company that is a porfeceanl animater and he is working on my trailer for myricals arc! Im intreseted to see the demo for this game. when do you plan to post it?

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 16:05
I'm working on some rusty broken machines right now I will post some pictures in the next few days and the helpful criticism is welcome but I would be lying If I said I did not love the "lol best game evaaar!" posts.
As for when I will release a demo my games always come in parts each part being about 5 or 6 levels long I'm not sure when part 1 will be released all the levels are done what I need to do now is make all the cut screens record all the voice acting and polish the levels so they look steam punk also I'm waiting for Darth Kiwi to finish making some great character models for the game so the game will be done in about a month maybe 2?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 19:27
Yeah, sorry I've been a little slow... I've sent you a re-done character so that should help somewhat.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 17:37
well I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while but I've been very busy and the games almost finished I really please with the end result at the moment I think it the best fpsc game I've made yet
right time to post some new pictures I think first a picture of a character made by Darth Kiwi for the game the character is spy master Halliday the head of the British secret service.

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 17:41
the next picture is to show the on screen character display you get when a character contacts you

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 17:51
right next some concept art for a device called the Thought Veil or the Brain wave Matrix Re assemblage Cage the device attaches to the users head and injects drugs direct to the brain

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 17:56
And heres is a picture of the in game model of the Thought Veil like most of the things you will see in the game was originally Darth Kiwi idea the art you saw in the last post was my sisters

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 18:59
Oh dear lord I am LOVING the Thought Veil! It's even better (or should that be horrible? lol) than I imagined it The Pneu-Speak popup thing is also excellent, I like it a lot.

Your sister's got that body down pretty darn well - I especially like the face. I always sucked at drawing faces... they all looked like flat horse-faces.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:12:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:12:35