Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Principality of Mars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 00:22
dudeo, I'm sorry about before, if you send rusty through agani, I'll get him done for you.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 14:11 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 14:18
don't worry butters I redid him with tank tracks and he looks fine if you want to help I do need voice actors with British accents if your willing to help I could email you the game script

the world is complicated only people are simple
Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 05:13
@ small fish - Hey do you think you can create me some models by any chance? Thanks if you can... They are simple ones nothing big...

Search Disturbing Silence... In FPSC SHOWCASE For more...
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 05:19
This looks well past amazing small fish awsome job.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 11:06
Wow....

Just....wow...

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 17:51 Edited at: 11th Mar 2008 17:53
horray you wait an age for a compliment then 2 come at once and mastercheif 193 you were always posting nice thing on the original pom tread it's great to see you again and Endless Fps Team sorry but no my copy of milkshape is playing up at the moment

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 18:39
well my sister has just finished work on the cover art for the game he it is and I'm also working on a trailer I will post that on youtube soon

Attachments

Login to view attachments
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 18:43
and here is a picture of a Martian parade I created for the trailer

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 23:18
Ooh, I like the cover art. Especially the fact it's tilted, and Mars is sort of looming in the background. (There's a sort of white spot on his nose which looks a bit odd, but other than that, I think it hits the right mood.) The parade is nice too - I love the little crown-symbols, they just seem perfect for the Martian government's way of thinking

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 15:11
Right I finished the trailer it is on youtube you can see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jtRMtKmYM#

please tell me what you think
the game is almost done I got a problem getting the cutsceen to be file size suitable for uploading and one of the levels has got this strange bug where when the level starts you fall though the floor and when you die you respawn where you were supposed to start it doesn't do this in the test game so it's very odd?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 15:36
The only problem I have is that it looks like a fpsc game, one needs to either give it a stylised look, ie dont go for realistic, as fpsc falls down here, and go for stylised like what a lot of indie games do, or failing that, for some reason bloom seams to make fpsc games look loads better.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 18:52 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 18:54
Just watched the trailer - and it looks excellent! You've really managed to evoke a great atmosphere. I can't wait to play this and see my "twisted plot" in the flesh! (Or polygons.)

Quote: "The only problem I have is that it looks like a fpsc game, one needs to either give it a stylised look"

I guess this is a problem with FPSC: many games made with it look like they've been made in it. Even Legacy of Cthulhu (that commercial one) looked quite boxy. But I think smallfish managed to create a lovely steampunk mood within the confines of FPSC. Also, I know what you're saying about making it stylised - if the textures were all cartoonish or greyscale or psychedelic it would certainly look original - but I think the Steampunk city look is a style in itself

As for the falling through floor problem - I'm not as familiar as you are with FPSC so I'm not the best person to be giving advice, but maybe you could start the player a few feet higher? So they fall onto the floor and, hopefully, not through it. Or maybe you could put a box or a carpet underneath them. Crude, but if it works it might be worth it, I guess.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 19:06 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 19:16
I think with fpsc it flattens the colours, de saturises (however one spells that) them, Ive seen that with other engines, well ones pre shader effects, even high end engines, ie, last generation, pre shader effect engines making the colours flat, I think that's why bloom looks nice in fpsc, it gives it vibrancy and colour, instead of that flat muted look. I hope they stick some in and give it a lift, steam punk is quite manga/anime so having good saturation and vibrant colours fits the bill.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 19:14
Perhaps the de-saturation effect might look good if you put a film-grain thing over the top, like in Call of Cthulhu? Although it sounds like something that would be nigh-impossible in FPSC. And it might be annoying.

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 20:40
This is looking great!

The game I'm working on is set in Victorian London, and I love this kind of setting. Can't wait to play it.
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 19:22
hmm a custom look like butters old fall of the firefly demo that would of been nice but I'm limited by my skills as that would require custom animated characters and custom drawn wall textures and I'm just not good enough to do that I can't get characters animated and all my wall textures are just photos I took of walls in my local area and if I did make the next pom game with this custom look it would seem strange to change stile between pom part 1 and 2.
I will take a look at your game later today and tell you what I think Kilgore thanks for the complements.

also here is the game cover hope you like it. The writing on the back like 90% of the writing in the game is by Darth Kiwi

Attachments

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 19:31 Edited at: 27th Mar 2008 19:32
To create custom looks to a game is eay, just use a filter over the textures, open up the textures in PS and just run a filter over them, keep a backup of the tex, and you can swap the text about and see how things look.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 19:51
all right I will give it a go for part 2 when you get to mars but I really want to get part 1 out soon

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 20:23
Why did you make the box art? is this going to be sold or something

SirEus game studios =___MAKING DIFFERENT KINDS OF FPS___=
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 00:47
I think it's made to sort of round off the project - an opportunity to sort of sum up the game, do some nice artwork and make it feel more like a fully-fledged product. It won't be sold, but having box art doesn't do any harm. Plus, if people want to burn it to CD (I think I shall, since I contributed and I don't want to lose it) they can print off the cover and put it in a DVD box.

I do like the art - especially the little crest logo with the 2 flags. Where did you get the cog background on the left, by the way? Did your sister do that, or is it from somewhere else, like a blown up photo?

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 02:29
i still think Foot steps should be changed lol but thats me and im weird like that so...

Pain

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 17:32 Edited at: 28th Mar 2008 17:33
the box art is just something I do for all my games that way I can have the games on display on my living room self and the picture on the back of the box is just a photo I found when I did a google image search for gears and cogs.
The game is finished and burned on a disk now but it has still got that falling though the floor bug so I'm going to keep trying to sort that out for a few more days I tried putting another room underneath where you start but you still fall though so next I'm going to try placing the player on an entity or midair like Darth Kiwi suggested

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 20:54
why dont you use efx mod on it?

bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 22:06
Quote: "why dont you use efx mod on it?"
theres major lag even in the new version.

therapy has taught me not to talk to men with needles
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 13:50
what about 1.5, does that have lag?

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 18:43
ermm efxMod 1.5 is Alpha and still not released...

bobert, the "new version" is 1.5 - how can you say such things?
do you mean 1.49?

Intel Xeon 3060, Asus Commando, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Thermaltake Shark Black, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 21:01
Quote: "do you mean 1.49?"
ya. that is the latest stable release.

therapy has taught me not to talk to men with needles
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 16:06
The efx mod is nice but I have no need for water in POM part1 and I have a lot of large areas which I can only get away with if I use fpsc ver 1.06 but I probably will use the efx mod on my next cthulhu game I could have a lot of cool water filled areas.
I'm having a lot of problems with POM since I upgraded to fpsc ver 1.08 in the built game exicutable whole parts of the levels keep VANISHING!!!!! so I'm going to try ver 1.07

Attachments

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Try v1.09

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2008 02:27
AAArgh... I'm not sure what to suggest, other than different versions...

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 19:10
I've got some real problems my fpsc is playing up something rotten for a while now all the executables I've been making occasionally crashed when trying to load level 4 then over the last week or so all the executables would crash on level 4 every time then 2 days ago it would only load up to level 3 today the games crashes on the 2nd level fortunately I sent a finished version to Darth Kiwi via normal mail this version is a little buggy 2 doors your not supposed to open do and the it sometimes crash’s on level 4 but to make up for this I have included a save at the start of level4 that loads fine if everything go’s to pot you can all still play that.
I tried reinstalling fpsc but that didn’t help so I'm going to try to completely restarting the computer and reinstalling all the back up files it will be as much as treading on a rusty nail but it's worth a try

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 17:54
Good luck with getting it sorted. And if you need any more voice acting I might be able to do some.

Looking forward to seeing this one in action.
When penguins go Mad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 01:22
hhhhmmmmmmm red faction 3 has a similair storyline. I hope theirs some twist and turns

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 01:30 Edited at: 13th Apr 2008 01:31
Penguin your sig is HUGE(in file size)! Get a static one or a MUCH shorter video.

ONTOPIC: Anyways, I hope you sort you FPSC problems, I think this game looks fun, so I want to play it.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 16:57 Edited at: 17th Apr 2008 16:59
red fraction wow thats a blast from the past I didn't even know they were going to do a 3rd one I hated red fraction 2 anyway I asure you the plot will be very different and there will be more than a few plot twists
And don't worry about any voice acting Kilgore that part of the games development is over I just have to get rid of the bugs I haven't done any game developing for the past few days because I want to hear Darth Kiwi opinion of the game before I change anything and he is on holiday at the moment he will be back soon

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 01:24
Quote: "the games development is over I just have to get rid of the bugs I haven't done any game developing for the past few days because I want to hear Darth Kiwi opinion of the game before I change anything and he is on holiday at the moment he will be back soon"

Hey there, sorry I was away for a week - I've played through the version smallfish sent me and emailed him my opinion and things I noticed that needed to be ironed out.

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 01:31 Edited at: 29th Apr 2008 16:33
Small fish im so psyched to play it! I just got the Myricals arc demo out if you wont to try it out. But man I can't wait for Principality of Mars!

btw small fish i sent you an email.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 17:22
kiwi played the game and you won't belive this half the blooming textures are missing I have no idea why when I played the game on my computer it worked fine anyway I'm sending him the files for the textures so he can put them in the texture folder maybe that would work I be frank with you I'm close to weeping I've worked on this game for 4 months and now that it's done the blooming things falling to pieces and thanks for the comment GP PrOdUcTiOnS but I can't do the models for you because milkshape has gone the way of fpsc and stoped working sorry

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 19:20
Quote: "half the blooming textures are missing "

Sounds like you're having a frustrating time to say the least. Don't let it get you down though, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 01:25
I suppose, if worst comes to worst I could upload the buggy version. It's perfectly playable, but some models (notably some of the guns) are untextured, which is irritating. I'll see if this texture thing works and we'll go from there, I guess.

It's frustrating because it sounds like a FPSC problem which we can't fix.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 17:56
I know what the problem is and how to solve it
It was fragmotion a tool I used to export models when milkshape went down. when I exported file with fragmothion they already had there textures on so I forgot to attach a texture to the model in fpsc I've attached a picture to this post that more clearly explains what I am saying anyway I going to completely reset the computer which should solve the problem with fpsc crashing every time I build a game and then I'm going to reinstall everything and with any luck I should have a working version of the principality in a week or so

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 18:08
also on a unrelated note my other hobby is making models you know of the plastic kit variety well I've made a 1 35 scale Martian steam tank model I think it's my best model yet not that I've shown you any of my other models well here is a picture what do you think?

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 18:18
here is another picture of it. When I will make pom part2 I going to make a model of this tank in milkshape and put it in the game.

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 19:22
Phew - I thought we were in serious trouble there!

The tank looks nice - I like the vents and the way it's slightly rusty and such.

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 20:58
Small Fish - glad a fix is in sight. As for the modelling...I have no idea how you find the time to do it, and produce your games so quickly!!
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 17:55
ok here the thing I can sort out the textures on everything except the guns made with frag motion so I going to have to replace them with stock guns or guns I find on the forum sorry but I promise when I make pom part2 I will make some more custom weapons with milkshape that works heres a picture of one of the replacement guns as you can see its just a simple retexture but at this point I will just be glad if the game works

Attachments

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 00:14
Wow, thiis has to be one of the best games ever to be made with the fpsc program! The models look amazing, the textures look outstanding, and the game play looks out of this world! Im sooo exited for the game to come out!great work small fish. Keep it up!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 18:18 Edited at: 30th Apr 2008 18:21
I'm blushing I hope the game lives up to your high expectations anyway I've made a new version which should have all it's texture working I'm mailing it to kiwi tomorrow but there is one slight problem since fpsc was playing up again I decided to make all the executable only have 1 level each but that means that each executable has it's own texture bank which are very big files
if I put all the levels in 1 zip file it's almost a giga byte in size so I'm putting 2 levels in each zip folder so there about 200mb each and there a 3 zip folders in total

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 01:35
Well dude cant wait to play, when do you plan to have the full gamem out for the publick? Oh and yes I woudl love for you to do some models for me.

Silver Eye Productions
User Banned
Posted: 1st May 2008 17:16
On the box art, how did you get that "FPS CREATOR GAME" picture?

http://www.geocities.com/saturnjupiter28

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:20:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:20:23