Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / - DarkGDK Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The coding challenges will have more contestants in a month or so .
Keep it up.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 21:57
Thanks Fersis,

I haven't heard from Zotoaster in a few days, but I agree with you. He had a great idea starting these challenges. That's why I've been working so hard to push them. It's a little discouraging not seeing more of a response, but we'll keep at it.

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 00:40
I love this thread - I think after the holidays maybe - everyone is in a bustle - (to my chagrin) - but I have to ask - (WITH ALL DUE RESPECT) - Are you guys also working on "Full Scale Projects?" - Even little pac man games - anything - or are you just into challenges? I'm JUST curious.... Partly because I feel guilty about not joining in this thread - but my coding time is WAY limited and Iron Infantry BABY! I'm determined to see it through!

Best Regards,
Jason

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 11:35 Edited at: 19th Dec 2007 11:38
Hey Jason,

Mostly I work on little projects, but always towards a common goal. I'm building up a collection of tools and resources to help me create an RPG. The challenges are mostly a way to blow off steam and take a break from my real goals. But I learn from them so it's not really taking a break.

The reason I'm so comfortable with the math required in terrain generation is because I've been working on my own terrain engine. Though it isn't working yet, I'm trying to generate massive terrains by combining multiple heightmaps (both global and local).

Basically, the global heightmap defines the basis for each landblock and the default slope of the land. Then the local heightmap performs adjustments across the landblock adding variation to our previously flat landscape. The global heightmap gives you key features (mountains, lakes, etc.) and the disturbance map gives you the little bumps in the road, so to speak.

Using this method you could create a global heightmap at 256x256 and then have a local heightmap (I call it a disturbance map) of say 64x64 and end up with a world that was 16384 units on an edge.

I used to play Asheron's Call a lot and have a copy of their heightmap from the release date. It was 2048x2048 and took up about 4M of space. My method would use about 200K for a map size that was 8 times as long on each edge. If I can just get the kinks out of it. They claimed that their map was 24 miles on an edge. At the same scale, my example would be 192 miles on an edge. Imagine using a 256x256 disturbance map!

Using the same idea, I was planning on decorations (vegetation, rocks, etc.) using the same idea. A global map would be your key into the types of decorations allowed on a given landblock and a distribution map gives you the generic distribution of your grass, trees, rocks and stuff.

On top of that there's the LOD stuff, dynamic texture modification, blah, blah, blah... I've gotten prototypes of nearly every piece working. But so far I haven't been able to combine them successfully. I'll have to break out pen and paper and do some planning for a change.

Here's a screenshot of my vegetation distribution at work. I'm just using a flat surface as my ground, but I wanted to make sure the idea worked first. The distribution map is a grayscale plasma image. Any color value over 127 causes a generic grass to be drawn at the location as well as the existing vegetation. That gives me 127 options for decoration with 0 being none.

It's come a long way. When I first started I was getting 5-10 FPS.

-Frank

[edit] I forgot to mention that the trees and plants were made by me with Tree Magik and Plant Life. [/edit]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 13:33
Interesting - Nice - and sounds like a promising approach.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 16:06
Hello, sorry for not responding much. Been real busy with my project, but it's good to see that people are trying hard to keep this thread up, as I intended it to be helpful to the community. I can only hope that in a few weeks it will be running a little more smoothly, but hey, it's Christmas and everyone's busy

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK now is free, it will take a couple of months until everybody makes the conversion from DBPRO to darkGDK.
On my case , ive trowed all my code (nearly 7.000 lines) and started from scratch
cheers
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 08:08 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 04:50
Ok, with the holiday stuff going on I've barely been able to do anything for this challenge. This took way longer than I meant it too, but I learned quite a bit. It's not really supposed to be anything but I find it fun to watch.

I'll apologize in advance for some of the sloppy coding in this one. I didn't exactly have a plan as I was coding. That said, here's the code and a screenshot of it in action.

[Particles & Lighting Example]
Balls bouncing around and exploding while the sun chases the moon
[edit] Use the arrowkeys to move around. [/edit]

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 16:16
That's really awesome! Good work!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
ditto that was creative use
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys, i spent about an hour working with particles today. but i'm about PRE-newb status . I have a high aptitude but it wasn't enough to get something substantial enough to post. I did make some effort though. Looking forward to focusing more after the holidays. Happy Holidays folks!
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 04:49 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 06:52
Thanks guys,

I'm nothing if not creative... I've got creativity flowing out my @$@#$. I just have trouble focusing it sometimes. These challenges are short enough for me to do some serious research without feeling like I'm working.

@RoarLee -- If you get something near to completion feel free to post it. Of course, if you were the only one besides me to post anything, you'd assume responsibility for keeping things going for a week until somebody else posted a winner.

Since this is the week of Christmas, most of us will be very busy. Rather than saying "no challenge this week" I'll make it super simple. This challenge will be to simply use multiple cameras. So put a simple scene together and use two, three or a million cameras to spice it up. Out of curiosity, how many cameras can the GDK process?

I promise to post at least one sample this week, but with the holidays I'll be busy. All of you be safe, spend some time with your loved ones, pretend to be happy you got another fruitcake and have a Merry Christmas!

-Frank

[edit]
Ok, here's a minor modification of my submission from the last challenge. It's just a quick modification using two cameras to create an interesting effect. Dunno if I'll post another example for this challenge with the holidays and all.

[/edit]
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 18:56 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 20:44
Hey guys.. this is quite simple. i wanted to have more fun with it, you know the rest.. note: lesson learned for me.. multiple cameras will all paint to the screen at the same time. CameraSetView command allows you to define how much of it you want painted.. for instance (0,0, 0, 0) for none of it to the screeen. However, does anyone know of a way to turn it off? or is this the only way to do it?

I forgot to say it's not as readable as it could be.

Thanks all.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 22:03
Hey RoarLee,

Glad to see your submission. You might consider it simple, but the point is that you LEARNED something. That's what these challenges are for. Every time I post something to this thread I feel tempted to list everything I learned in the process. That'd be a long list though. It looks like you're the winner by default. Welcome to the club.

I'm glad you pointed out that little feature of cameras drawing to the full screen by default. You're probably not the only one that has fought with that.

You asked if there was a way to turn off the cameras. The dbSyncMask() command might work. I couldn't find it in the DGDK documentation, but figured that it exists since the command exists in DBPro. As far as I know, DBPro and DGDK use the same libraries.

I did a couple of tests with it and couldn't get it to work though. As I understand it each bit represents a camera so calling dbSyncMask(0x7) should turn cameras 1, 2 and 3 on while calling dbSyncMask(0x4) should turn camera 3 on and cameras 1 and 2 off. That didn't work for me though.

Maybe someone else knows more about this?

Congratulations on your win and I look forward to seeing what the next challenge will be!

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 22:30
Pharoseer - I only recently learned proper symbols for bit logic - I changed && to & and WOW! Just mentioning it incase your masks are like: MyBit1 && MyBit2 && MyBit3 etc....

nuff said... showed my juggler on a OOPS I made to try to see ift helps ya Helped me! When I was debugging I was like...um...thats WRONG...must see about - first google query set me straight!

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 22:54
Thanks Jason,

That little bug bit me about 3 weeks ago. I didn't think to mention it, but it makes me feel a bit better to see that I'm not alone in forgetting the difference between logical and bitwise operations. I think it was about 12 or 13 years ago when I was sitting in class thinking "I'll never need to know this." Ahh, the ignorance of youth...

-Frank
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
alright. to the victor goes the spoils! i challenge all you yella bellied GDK procrastinators....or perhaps it would be heavy-duty GDK project teams to take a couple minutes of what i know to be precious time and put a few lines of code towards helping to educate your mates (as in peers). For this weeks challenge, let's all make a good showing to start of the new year in a good spirit. whew that got long winded

I am warming up to GDK after only a few hours of fiddling and reading up on the stuff being posted. Everybody take an object of some sort and animate it (i.e. ball bouncing).
Slim Pimpin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 03:11
ok i have an idea on this one but no knowledge of how to do it. i was thinking of a computer comtrolled pong game that the camera rotates around. any suggestions?

Pimpin aint eazy
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:32
@RoarLee,

I like the idea for this challenge. It's simple to get something working but it leaves room for people to really expand on it if they put forth some effort.

@Slim,

Which part are you unsure about with your idea? Maybe I could help you a bit.

-Frank
Slim Pimpin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 06:10
Quote: "Which part are you unsure about with your idea? Maybe I could help you a bit "

i am pretty sure i could get a 2d pong working but the killer would be the 3d camera movements for me

Pimpin aint eazy
Slim Pimpin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 07:49
this was my 3d pong gone completely wrong, it is rather silly but kind of fun to watch. check it out. and does anyone know of a way to make a box, more like an aquarium?? what i mean is solid walls but hollow on the inside?

Pimpin aint eazy
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 09:17 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 10:53
Try the following -- it takes advantage of the GDK's built-in functions to avoid too much math. I didn't cut-and-paste this out of working code but rather just typed it in here, so I apologize if it's not 100% functional. It should give you the right idea though.

This code will make the camera seem to swing around the origin at a distance of 30 at a rate of 1 degree per sync. Try making a cube at the origin (you shouldn't have to change it's position or anything) and you should see the effect.

Hope this helps,
-Frank

[edit]
I just checked out your 3D pong and I think it's pretty cool. I agree it's fun to watch. I think that the problem you're running into is that you're always considered to be colliding with your "aquarium" since you're inside it. I'm not sure exactly how the collision functions work, though.

You could try using plane/plain objects for your borders. Another alternative would be to make a separate box for each edge, but that'd be a pain in the butt.

A simpler alternative might be to use separate variables to represent how much you change x, y, and z by each frame. Then if the object is outside your "tolerance" area, then set your "change" variables to "0 - change."

For example :
[init]
x, y, z thresholds are all [-100, 100]
dx = 1; dy = 0.5; dz = -1.0

[while looping]
x += dx; y += dy; z += dz
if (x < -100) or (x > 100) then dx = -dx
if (y < -100) or (y > 100) then dy = -dy
if (z < -100) or (z > 100) then dz = -dz

Hope this helps!
[/edit]
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
@Pharoseer: cool. i was hoping that it wasn't overly simple, and giving people a chance to be creative was something that I felt was important. Hopefully people will take up the reigns.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Slim Pimpin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 15:31
every little bit helps boss. i appreciate all you guys help greatly. i actually just started with dark gdk yesterday. with very little programing experience

Pimpin aint eazy
skull driveshaft
Years of Service
User Offline
next challenge? winner?

why doesn't it work the way I want it to!
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
@skull The challenge is to animate an object.. simple enough. plenty of room for creativity. Due Sunday at 12pm.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 11:38
Ok, this isn't anything at all like what I had in mind. As far as "animation" it's pretty simple too. I was focused more on learning to manipulate individual limbs though. Here it is:

[Challenge Entry]
I have no idea how to describe this...

RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
just staying on task here...not that it would win the challenge

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 22:18
Hey RoarLee,

I just checked your entry out. It made me laugh. All of a sudden my laptop looked like Johnny Five (the robot from Short Circuit) having a seizure or something. I gotta give you credit for code re-use. Why rewrite everything when you have a perfectly working framework already made?

-Frank
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
@pharoseer looks like you win. due to lack of interest. I hope i didn't kill the thread. lol.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 02:15 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 10:51
Nah, I don't think you killed it. People are still warming up to the GDK. We should probably continue to keep the challenges simple and focused on the various elements of GDK so the Challenge thread can become the "Learn how to use DGDK" thread for a while.

That said, I think the next challenge should be something simple that utilizes the Multiplayer command set of DGDK. As a tip to those that only have one computer to test on, you can run a server on one port and a client on another and have them running on the same computer. I'll post up a simple framework soon.

As usual the deadline is 6PM GMT (12PM CST -- where I'm at).

[edit]

Ok, here's the framework I promised. It's not as simple as I had hoped, but hopefully it'll get some of you started. The multiplayer part is easy. Handling strings was kicking my butt. With the help of one of the gurus on here (namely Tempicek) I was able to get over my little stumbling block. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to help.

[/edit]
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 22:58
Ok, since nobody entered this challenge (including me -- I feel like a slacker), the next challenge will be to do something creative or useful with the input commands (mouse/keyboard/joystick). As usual the deadline is 12 noon CST, next Sunday. (That's 6:00PM GMT).

-Frank
Usukhuu
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Zotoaster!
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 08:00
Alright gang,

I was out of town or I would have set the new challenge sooner. I was hoping to get a bit more involvement, but I don't seem to be having much luck. Maybe it's the types of challenges that I'm presenting. A bit of feedback would be appreciated. If anybody else has something in mind that would make a good challenge, feel free to suggest something. Otherwise, I'll just keep trudging along.

Barring a better suggestion, I'm going to borrow something from the DBPro challenge thread: 2D primitives. Make a few simple functions to make 2D primitives that may or may not already be included with the GDK. These could be simple ones like a rectangle, circle, triangle, etc. or something more involved like a star, spiral, curve or whatever.

Same deadline as usual.

-Frank
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 10:32
Pharoseer, don't get discouraged if people doesn't enter the challenges right now. I think you are doing a great job, and this thread is already useful.
Unfortunately I can't enter myself as I don't have the time, but I want to encourage you to keep on pushing this further
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 00:46
Hey Morcilla,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been focused on other tasks lately and haven't been very enthusiastic about the challenges since no one else was getting involved. I'll try to keep posting stuff up until the thread develops a life of its own.

In that spirit, I've included a demonstration of drawing circles and ellipse (both filled and unfilled) using the midpoint algorithms. I apologize for not having more comments in the code, but I have to admit I don't fully understand how these functions work. I just adapted them from what I found on wikipedia (just look up midpoint circle algorithm). I would rather just keep the code clean and not add comments than add comments that might be incorrect.

-Frank

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 01:15
Pharoseer - you want to drop me an email - I want to share something with ya

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 07:37
I am going to be joining these challenges now. I have two hours everyday in school dedicated to coding in c++. This will help keep me busy. All my coding is done with GDK too I have been looking at all your work Pharoseer Thanks so far I hope this eventually expands into a bigger thread.

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 23:14
@Mason -- Thanks, I hope that what you find in this thread helps you.

@Everyone -- I know it's late, but here's the latest challenge. Since the "no-media" aspect of these challenges prevents us from having any really awesome models or graphics, find a way to MAKE some really cool models or graphics for everyone to use. Ideas might be:

Trees : simply use a cylinder or cone for the trunk and planes for the leafy areas (the leafy textures might be tricky).

Skymap : Turn a sphere inside out (negative radius) and texture it with a "starry" sky texture made with randomly placed dots.

Here's some code for a simple skymap using the technique I mentioned:

-Frank
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 00:37
Alright Ill give this a shot, whats the deadline?

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 11:05 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 11:20
Oops, I got a bit careless. The deadline is Sunday 12:00 noon CST (Central). I think that's 6:00PM GMT. If you need a few more hours come Sunday, just post a message and I'll be happy to extend the deadline for you. Not too many people are participating, so we won't really be stepping on anybodies toes if we do that.

Also, if you're working on something and it's giving you problems, feel free to post what you have and I'll try to help you hammer the bugs out of it. That seems to go on a lot in the DBPro challenge thread.

-Frank

Also, as an aside: I edited my original challenge post (Indy 500 -- see first page). The levels.h file was incomplete and somehow looking at at 20 times that didn't register. Now it is complete. However, I haven't worked on it since then so all the bugs are still there.
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 00:39
Alright Thanks, I'm gunna start working on it right now. Hopefully I can get it done by then, should be enough time.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 02:06 Edited at: 4th Feb 2008 04:37
Hello all. have a simple little script i created im sure its been done a million times. its small and simple terrain height map / texture generator. i decided to create it when i failed completely at setting matrix normals the i guess the conventional way. this was something i put together this morning. im going to continue working on it.. maybe it meets my needs for now. oh yeah and this isn't a entry really since its not in with the theme of the contest.

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 04:38 Edited at: 5th Feb 2008 03:06
Hey Tiomun,

I just checked out your entry. That's pretty cool. I like how you can see the heightmap as well as the resulting terrain. Congratulations, you are this week's winner.

So, the next challenge is yours to decide (and to judge). It can be anything you think we can accomplish in a week without media.

Keep up the good work!

-Frank
Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah im a noob to the forum so if i post or edit anything it requires validation before it shows up. i edited the post must have ben just after you read it.

and thanx hurray i won lol. so next challenge no media.
i had a few ideas but the one that to me sounds the most fun is A.I. (not the movie) artificial intelligence. its something i have been doing allot of thinking about lately. if you guys think thats a tall order for a contest let me know i have other ideas. but id really love to see what can be done in under a week. (note as far as i am concerned ai is any automated response / reaction the compute controls. ie enter text comp reply s. or a sphere that reacts on its own to camera movement. be creative)

i will be watching
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 07:35
Hey Tiomun,

It might be a tall order for some of the people that are using GDK at the moment, but in the DBPro challenge thread they did an A.I. challenge that had some pretty amazing examples. I personally suck at A.I., but I'll see what I can drum up.

Shall we stick with the one week deadline or extend it to two weeks since this one seems a bit more complex?

-Frank
Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
im ok with 2 weeks. since it is a bit harder then the previous contests. im actually starting a similar project for the game im working on in my spare time. notice the terrain map and texture used in this shot from my terrain program lol. i know the trees are kinda cheap. it was a first attempt at making trees for me. but the placement system works off a random seed similar to the terrain maker.

any who. like i said if the ai is to much at this point we could do something with lighting on 3d objects, i have faith in everyone here im pretty sure you can create something even if its simple. remember it only has to be slightly better then the opponents entry's lol. as far as the 2 weeks goes im going to begin working on some simple ai as well so at the end ill show what i came up with.

gdk is really great. i never picked up basic. a month ago all i had for programing skills was html/dhtml/css, allot of mySql experience with php (previously made a few text based games, and some misc javascript and other web oriented languages. i also had played around with c, and c++ a little. but never got past the d3d hello world tutorial lol. at the moment im using the dark basic pro book by Johnathan s. Harbour to get a feel for gdk. most of the commands are the same, but the book goes into a decent amount of detail on what they actually do. i never could have gotten to the point im at with that screen shot trying to learn directx the commands give me a headache.

anyways happy programing and good luck to all

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
So i spent a few hours yesterday ( my day off ) working on a simple ai. and about 2 hours today fine tuning it. heres what i came up with. this isn't a entry into my own contest. its more for my own fun, and maybe it will help you guys with some ideas

theres no media obviously. just a simple untextured matrix.
avoid the red blocks. they randomly walk around the matrix, if they detect you they will speed up and head towards you. enjoy

Note: i did not go to in depth on the quotes on this one

THIS CONTEST ENDS ON 2/18/08 ! (two week deadline bending the rules a little)
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 03:06
I tried to join the last challenge, but I rebooted my computer and can't get the installer to work right now. I will be in this challenge if anyone can figure out my problem in this thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=123486&b=22

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 20:35
As I said earlier in my other post just getting back to the community and only recently learned C++ (going for basic to OOP was interesting) but now that I'm back at least for a little while I'll have to give one of the challenges a try in the future...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:52