Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / - DarkGDK Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 00:53
Alright my GDK is working so now I am

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice Hope to see some interesting entry's. the code i posted is just something i whipped up in a few hours for my personal use. you guys can use it to help with your entry's, or go a completely different route with the ai. dosnt have to be 3d, can be 2d, or just text.

Btw. Mason your banner in your signature is sweet. the old film look is perfect.
Usukhuu
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i'm fresh. I'm very interested Dark GDK. But i can't use some source code of VC++ on the Dark GDK. Some thing help me! Thanks.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
erm this isnt really a help topic, i am lazy, and thats a whole lot of code. could you be more specific like what errors your getting?

you may need to include some other files besides the DarkGDK.h file to get your code to work
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 23:53
I have been trying to join this challenge thread but I swear every time I finally fix something with GDK, another problem pops up.. So so buggy. I can't get dbGetImage to work, I know I am using the code correct and I have used other peoples examples as well; doesn't work; frustrated.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 14:16
One of my buddies has 100% departed from DarkGDK due to such issues. I personally - find myself sticking around because - It's a hobby for me - there are alot of good coders here to schmooze with - and DarkGDK - I'm convinced - bugs - workarounds and all - is capable of decent works of art - but you need to take all its strengths and weaknesses into consideration - and this can only happen AFTER you beat your head against various parts of it and know it intimately.

Hang in there bro!

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
well today is the last day of the 2 weeks for the contest. so looks like the contest is over.

I'll give it until the end of the day. which means tomorrow morning i will say its over if no one has posted anything.
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 09:07 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 10:40
I have been working forever to get all the bugs knocked out of GDK, but I am still having problems.. I am almost tempted to install another Os so I will have Ubuntu, Vista, and Xp.. Sucks though..

Edit:
I finally figured out why dbGetImage wasn't working properly. I was running the program in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, and I didn't realize (0,0) was the top of my screen, not my window . Now I think I am finally set and bug free (for the most part).

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 14:26
Regardless - that is peculiar. Oh - and don't use Memblocks with id's over 257 either.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 17:26 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 17:27
so thats that. we will be doing a new contest then i gues. so heres the info.

Best work with 3d.
( this means any script involving 3d objects prety open anything goes. 3d objects, matrices, terrain, 3dtext so on )

No Outside media

1 week. contest ends 2/26 6pm forum time

Quote: "
I finally figured out why dbGetImage wasn't working properly. I was running the program in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, and I didn't realize (0,0) was the top of my screen, not my window . Now I think I am finally set and bug free (for the most part).
"

it always seems the biggest headaches i get are from simple things i overlook or didn't realize. glad your sticking with it
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:43
Alright sounds good. I am going to try to make a 3d Breakout game. Can't expect much though, this will be my first full program in GDK. (Did use Dark Basic Pro for a while though). Hopefully some other people start joining this challenge thread as well. Should fill up with more .net users since the .net version will be out in a couple of days.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
ive been waiting to get my hands on that .net version. do you know when it will be releasing? i was under the impression from the forums that it would still be a while.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 14:02
I am downloading it all right now, it sure is taking a while but nonetheless when I learn from some examples you shall see me in here reguarly, don't get discouraged, c++ even with db is a daunting task to some, myself included.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 23:18
@Zombie 20: You will get a hang of it pretty quickly if you used Dark Basic previously. Just the c++ syntax, compiler errors, and evil linker errors might slow down your process . I just finally got my GDK to work, but I am glad it is. Anyway, hope to see your work in the next challenge(s).

@Tiomun: I was reading a post and CattleRustler said, "I'll put it this way, its on the order of 'days', not 'weeks'..." and he was referring to the .net version. This is the thread I found this in. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124230&b=22

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
nice i see his post. im not really certain what the differences will be. but i am still very excited. i get the impression it'll have more form like controls that can be used?
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 01:21
All I know is that people that purchased Visual Studio.net will be able to use GDK in it. I don't really know too much about .net.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm so since i am broke and havnt purchased the vs.net i will probably not get to play with gdk.net oh well there lose lol! no seriously that kinda sux if thats the case
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 03:11
Well - Express is quite lacking - forms etc... I'll bet the .Net version Really became integrated with forms etc - therefore - you'd need the full dilly of Visual Studio.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah thats what i have heard. have to scape up the money i guess lol.

i gues no one is into the contest thing tomarow is the last day. and for it to be something so simple its sad lol
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 16:37
Quote: "Well - Express is quite lacking - forms etc... I'll bet the .Net version Really became integrated with forms etc - therefore - you'd need the full dilly of Visual Studio."

I don't get it, but VC# 2008 Express does have full support to forms. I don't know everything about next DGDK.NET release, but I'm pretty sure it will be supported on VC# Express, probably even 2005 version (as it is a COM component, but I'm not completely sure about it).

So... You don't need to buy anything to make use of DGDK.NET (ok ok, only the commercial license if you're selling anything).
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 19:18
Well - I was mistaken. I guess just visual studio express doesn't have the form editor... Sorry.

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice in that case i cant wait again lol

Looks like we have no winner for the contest. maybe its a bit to early for the gdk to have contests like this?
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:58
Quote: "maybe its a bit to early for the gdk to have contests like this?"

I like the idea of the contests but I've had to jump into a larger project in order to get it finished before the decade is through. The only small thing I've written is drawing a rainbow on the screen. I hope the challenge remains even if there are no winners, just entrants.

For the moment I'm stuck in 2D mode so that's pretty much what I'm having to work with until this project is over. Please keep up the challenges and I'll try to jump in where I can.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 05:15
Perhaps - but keep the torch going...please... somebody! People read these - people are still learning and getting their groove on... people work, have lives etc... but I'd bet MANY come here and look at the entries like I do! I have a big project and my programming time for fun is very limited but I love popping in!

I learn - I laugh - Then I get humbled... then I learn again - viscous cycle! LOL

It will catch... keep it going people!

Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
lol fine ill keep going but in 3 weeks i havnt had a single entry, and the last one was pretty darn vague.

so for this week lets do Matrices 1 week contest ends 3/3/08 the day after my birthday lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:19:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:19:42