Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBPro] TERSCULPT

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 17:15
Quote: "I was thinking about if I wanted to be able to place an object, and then place an object on top of it."

This would be making a dock type scene wicked simple.

Cheers,
Dave

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I worked on the object placement stuff last night. It's going pretty well. It took me a bit to figure out how to add my own custom buttons, but I think I have the hang of it.

As amazing as the GUI is, I'm wondering if we should use a windows interface instead. I suggest this mainly because it would make selecting your texture and objects faster and easier. I'm not sure how else, or where else for that matter, I'll be able to put the available object list.

Anyone here skilled in windows GUI making and want to make their mark on this source code? Lets try not to use bluegui... that way those who want to work on it or edit it for themselves don't have to worry about buying Blue.

I have some stuff to do tonight, but if I get a chance, I'll work on the object placement stuff some more.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" -Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Programming Major @ Baker.edu-
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 10:05
I am not much with code but I am fairly good with graphics. Here is a link to my portfolio. I created it all with photoshop. You may have to turn your brightness up a bit to view it properly. IF you think the style will fit with this let me know, I'd be glad to help out with in anyway I can..

Portfolio

Cheers,
Dave

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, nice site and nice work. I don't think it would help in terms of the GUI, but if you wanted to wip up a objects for it that would be cool. Maybe make a tree or two, a building, a few large rocks... you get the idea That way I'll have an object besides a cube to test it with, and we can also include it in the release for people to experiment with.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" -Isaac Newton
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 17:42
Thanks for the kind words amte, I wills tart making some objects this weekend..

Cheers,
Dave

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 15:25
Sid sinister,

Feel free to use the models from my downloads section.
downloads

Cheers,
Dave

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, very nice stuff. I'll be sure to grab those tonight and use them.

I'm stuck with a looping problem right now. It should be simple, but I tend to overcomplicate stuff.

Right now, when mousebutton = 1, the tool sub is activated and it uses the current brushmode to interact with the terrain. That works fine with molding and painting as your suppose to be able to just keep it held down and stroke the terrain. But with placing an object, I only want one object placed when I hold down the mousebutton, and have it so another one can't be placed until I have released the mousebutton and clicked it again.

It's so simple it's dumb, but I'm weird like this. I can make terrain with memblocks, do camera code, but can't figure out a loop procedure, lol. I'll look at it again tonight.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 20:10
Usually in those cases Sid, I just check the last state of the mouse button, like lastmb:

lastmb=mb
mb=mouseclick()

Then something like...

If mb=1 and lastmb=0

This would detect the first click of the mouse.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 21:51
First of all, thank you very much for this little gem

I'm not sure if this has already been said, but I think where it says

Both mb and lastmb need to be changed to 4 as this is what is returned when the mousewheel is clicked because you add the two buttons together when mb=3 (left and right mouse buttons).

Sorry if that has already been said and you have fixed it, I just noticed it when I was testing it out.

Anyways, cheers, have a beer

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 18:16
@Van B: Hello, Van =) Just to let you know I've almost got the source working now, it's just giving me a small problem that can easily be fixed =)

Thanks again! =)

~M.W~
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 19:33
@Van - Can you upload the complete source? I want to convert it to .NET

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
He has uploaded the complete source. Check for the latest download button.

"If I have seen a little further it's by standing on the shoulders of Giants"-Newton
-Computer Animation Major-
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 21:28 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 21:37
Got it working.

I didn't know I didn't have to make the variables again for the check, because you already made the variables early on in the program. Taking mine out worked.

Almost ready for a small update

EDIT: @Reality Forgotten. I successfully placed your object on the terrain, thanks for your contribution =]

"If I have seen a little further it's by standing on the shoulders of Giants"-Newton
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 21:44
how does it look?

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 21:53 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 21:54
Here's an update. You can place one of the objects Reality Forgotten made, as well as delete it.

Please note I don't have a picture for the button yet. So, the button to add is Custom1 and the button to delete is Custom2. They are the the two top left buttons in the GUI found on the left hand side of the screen.

My next step is making the third button be able to reposition the object. After that I'll add button pictures and clean up my work there. After that I'll make it so you can scroll through the objects loaded.

I was thinking... since DB requires me to load objects before they are used, does that mean if someone wants to add more models to the object browser that they will need to add it in themselves in the code?

EDIT: Also, sorry for the huge upload. Normally I'd just upload a new .dbp file, but there was a model from RF that I needed to include to save you guys the trouble of making the proper folders and such.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 06:28 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 06:41
Things in the next update:

Change from using the clone object to instant object command, as it reuses the original data instead of making a whole new copy.

When selecting an object, the object turns transparent

Off setting the object up or down on the terrain based on the ground height

Rotating the object and resetting the object orientation.

Scaling the object.

Further down the road:

Saving Object Positions, Scales, and Orientation for importing into an the Engine.

Revamped GUI (most likely an addition of some sort to better interact with object commands)

I'm having some difficulty with the transparency. For one, I can't get it transparent because it turns to blue. This might be due to the object mapping, but how would I counter this? I've also taken a look at set object ghost on, but it makes the object disappear all together. I've never dealt with transparency before, so a little nudge in the right direction will help things go faster.

[EDIT]

For a pre-update, replace the relevant brush codes with these:

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
@Reality: I can't get 'Set Object Trasparency', 'Set Alphamapping on' OR 'Ghost Object On' working with your object at all.

It's all remmed out right now, and in the wrong brushmode (because I'm testing this out), but here's what I'm doing:

I'm trying to make it so when you select an object it turns semi transparent.

Preferably I'd like to have Ghost Object work, because I think if I can get that to work it will mean I can still have other effects on the object (as it doesn't use up DBP's one effect right?) That way the user can see his object's effects (will probably have an option to turn them off for FPS reasons). But anway... whatever works at this point. Help?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 02:09
I thought Ghosting was a shader effect ...hmm...

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
*stands back shocked* You following me around jason?

Lol jk, was just surprised to hear from you, and without a fix for my problem!

Maybe I read the information on another thread wrong then. So, is there any transparency command that wouldn't count as a shader effect taht would work with an object without an alpha map? As far as I know they all do right?

I might just say screw it and go with a bouncing ball above the object lol. I'm looking for some way to let the user know they've selected an object, and transparency would definitely be the best choice.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 05:41
LOL - yeah!

Seriously - this transparency thing said you need to have the "effect" not be a shader?!?! Why?

I mean have you experimented with getting shader to work alongside another shader? Can Two Effects be done like that? I bet if it can't in that manner - you could get a shader GURU to add something to the shader you have - or what makes more sense to me is imply swapping one effect for another... perhaps TRRAIN shader for ghost or transparency.

Dunno - yeah - I dislike not having facts - but integrity is saying I DONT have a CLUE sometimes

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I stopped being lazy and subbed in a cube to test whether transparency is working. Actually, I found a nice code snippet to do it a bit differently:

COLOR OBJECT objectclicked, rgb(r,g,b) && 0xAAFFFFFF
SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY objectclicked, 3

But anyway, it successfully made the cube transparent.

Now... the problem is doing this with RF's pillar object. It comes with three targa's; normal, texture and AO (what is that anyway?). I took away all the textures too, so the object came in white, and still the transparency would not work. What is the freaking deal??

BTW - I'm reworking the buttons. There won't be as many and you can do more per button. For example, selecting the object does deleting, repostitioning and possibly rotating all in one.

I was thinking about doing a little gig like you see in 3DSM with the yellow blue and red directions controlling the object movement and rotation, but it can do without.

Also, an idea I'm playing around with is snapping the object to a grid size as well as showing the grid across the terrain. That's not until farther out though release wise.

Anyway, I need to get this damned transparency problem fixed soon. It's starting to irk me, lol.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 09:41
what about

Load object, Load texture
Store object information

check mouse collision with model

if mouse collision exists and mouseclick=1 then ghost object on "add stored model name"

and you can have it set up to clone the object or instance the object by storing the model info and use keystate and a mouseclick command to actually clone/instance the object.

so like:

(this is for copying an object once clicked on)

(this is for selecting the object with ghost on)

I know that it's no where near perfect and is quite jumbled, I hope it gives you some sort of idea or at least spurs you in the right direction. Remember I am not a programmer by any means.

Cheers,
Dave

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, you just reminded of me something very important. I had it half way working the other day... and yesterday I couldn't get it working again. So I started thinking what I had changed...

Clone object into Instance Object.

Transparency and other effects don't work on instanced objects...

problem solved lol. I can make it white now. I'm headed to school now, but I'll try making it transparent later knowing that I know what the root problem is now.

thanks

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 22:38
if am not completely wrong so cant you ghost or texture an instanced object as they shara all that data from the object you made the instance from.
but i could be wrong as it was a long time i worked on my level editor that used instanced objects.
cheers
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Transparency and other effects don't work on instanced objects... "

Yup. That's why I changed it back to clone. I can make the object white and I can make it ghost now.

My problem is that the ghost is way to transparent and you can hardly see it! I've tried set object transparency after the ghost command and it still doesn't do anything to help it out.

Any suggestions now?

If not, I'm finding another way to let the user know they've selected an object. Can't wait forever to get this fixed.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 00:52
One method I tend to use is a zdepth disabled, wireframe version of the selected object. I delete a cursor object then clone it again from the source object, something like...

function setcursor_obj(obj)
if object exist(obj)=1
if object exist(100)=1 then delete object 100
clone object 100,obj
if editmode>0 and editmode<>30 then set object wireframe 100,1 : texture object 100,52
disable object zdepth 100
set object light 100,0
set object fog 100,0
set object specular power 100,0
position object 100,selx*100,sely*100,selz*100
rotate object 100,object angle x(obj),object angle y(obj),object angle z(obj)
endif
endfunction

This is from a grid based editor, so I'd just change it to position the cursor object with the source, then duplicate the positioning and rotation on the selected and the cursor object. Also I'd color the wireframe object, maybe have it show a different colour depending on what your doing to the object.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm thinking wireframe might be hard to see from varying distances, but I'll give it a shot after some errands tonight. I'll get back to you (and the rest of you) soon.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Good news to all, I scrapped the transparent deal and just made an upside cone above the object to let the user know which one they've selected. Who knows, maybe I'll even make it bounce up and down.

But anywho, the selecting thing is done. Tomorrow I'll rework the delete and position commands to reflect upon the selected so you don't have to use so many GUI buttons to do what you want to do. Should save a lot of clicks the way I'm redesigning it.

Should have another satisfying update by Sunday.

Have good day everyone

y2ksw
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great ... I've only got to get the time to look into it
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, sorry for the delay on the update. I've been bogged down writing a 10 page research essay for my composition class I have a few more things to work out with the code, and I might change a few more things around than I initially thought because the control just isn't feeling right. I'm trying to make it easiest as possible to interact with the objects and such and it's not cooperating lol. The essay is due Wednesday, so sometime this week I should have enough of it done to throw it out there for you guys to mess with. Until then stay tuned.

Glad to see this editor made it into the newsletter Van

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 08:49
It's always nice seeing your work make it to the newsletter, one day that cover image will be mine! .

To be honest though I'm most happy that people (mostly yourself Sid) are taking this thing onto the next stage, usually it's quite difficult to get people to spend time on stuff like this.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I still don't have the update. I have been working on it though

I'm trying to incorporate a right click menu when under a few object brushmodes to quickly edit objects and move around to different commands. It's faster than hotkeys and definitely faster than clicking each of the buttons.

A complication that came up was that the right mouse button is currently being used under both camera modes... After I thought about it for a while, I decided I'd program it so when the right mouse button is double clicked, the menu would come up. It works fairly nice, in concept.

I've found some double click code, but it's kind of long and annoying. It successfully double clicks... but it's slightly buggy in that if you press right click once and then press the left mouse button, it will come up, and vice versa IF you get out of the normal right mouse button double click sequence. Your probably not following me at this point lol but if I can't fix it by tomorrow evening I'll post it up and maybe you guys (who is reading this still?) could help with the right mouse button double click code.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 17:28
I'm reading it. I like what you're adding.

I know you can lick this one mouse button thing though. No hints on that one. Its a good logic exercise. I know you'll get it - and what you learn on that will probably get you thinking about user input a bit differently. (Double Tapped Keys not same as single tapped... Joystick buttons tricks etc)

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 06:40 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 07:38
Psh, you try making this mess work (This is just the menu and right click code):

First off, I have no clue what all that ~~ and && jazz is. I can't even read it. It's all bitwise stuff, I know that, but as for what the hell it's doing? I have nothing.

Secondly, it's close. Really close. The only problem is, if you left click then right click even if it's outside of the amount of double click time, the menu will still open up.

Third, why does a double click function need to be so damn complicated? How come it isn't already a built in function to begin with? Every other input combination and device has it's command, EXCEPT a double click. Woops?

Fourth, I'm done venting. Goodnight.

Maybe I'll dream up a plan b.

EDIT: Btw, the menu code is mistral's and the right click code I'm trying to mod is Zergei's.

EDIT EDIT: Anyone know why this code works in dbc and not dbp?

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 08:53
I don't think DBP likes a function or a variable starting with _.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 09:24
I don't think DBPro minds, in fact I've seen code by Lee Bamber that uses underslashes in function names.

One thing, that clickOne# variable should really be globalised? - it's used to store the first click time, but then the next time the function is called it would be 0, which would cause all sorts of problems.

McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work Van,

I was reffered here when I asked if It was worth me continuing my own editor.

I think the guy referred me here to say 'Someones beaten you to it', but it's had the opposite effect.

A little competition is good for the soul.

It's not my fault!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 10:21
Quote: "A little competition is good for the soul."

It sure is .

Your editor is looking good, keep at it. Tersculpt is more like a community project now, for people to expand on if they like - I think that's why Sid directed you here.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 17:22
Quote: "I don't think DBPro minds, in fact I've seen code by Lee Bamber that uses underslashes in function names."

Mhm, my bad then...

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline

I tried both of your suggestions. I took out the underscores and also globalized clickOne#, and neither of them changed a thing.

Maybe it's my limited knowledge on programming, but the if statement in the do loop isn't checking to see if it's equal to anything... is it or is it not checking to see if the statement is true in the function? I heard that the way DBP and DBC treat variables is different, could this be the difference?

@McLaine: How are you today McLaine? I wasn't try to push you away from making your own! Van has a good thing going here with this open source editor. You could build off of it like I'm doing or even if you DO want to build your own there is a LARGE amount of code you can learn from in his (and our) code. Competition eh? BRING IT! Lol.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:57
You must global NOC

Click For Details!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 22:03
This works, looks like it was missing a few globals...

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
If someone else could take a look at this, I'm at my wits end. The double click function is working beautifully now, but I can't get the menu to work right now.

I've been working on this damn bug for 6 hours and I've tried a lot, and nothing seems to be working. The problem is, you can't pick what you want on the menu and you can't make the menu go away after you bring it up with a mouseclick()=1.

I suspect it has to do with different mouse detections inside of the DrawMenu Function. But, I've mess with all of those for the longest time today as well and no amount of tweaking has shown me anything besides more headache.

Meanwhile, I'll keep staring at the same two lines of code.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm so close with the menu thing. I'm sorry guys, I didn't expect it to be this hard to incorporate a right click menu I'm not sure how long it will be until the next update now. It all depends when I get this menu bug solved.

You could of course speed up the process by visiting my thread about it though

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=125564&b=1

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Menu code is completed and functional! I'm so sorry for the long delay! Between finals and that annoying bug, it took a lot longer than I had expected. Sasuke, the god of menu making, and HowDo helped me to fix it.

Since a lot of people are starting to contribute, with the next release I'm going to compile an official list of code 'citations' and credits. Also, I'm going to start a list of known bugs to keep track of bug tracking. I'm also going to take out of the code itself any REM statements that pertain to credits to people and instead put them in a notepad. It gets annoying when trying to find a comment to keep reading it and would also decrease the compile time a little bit.

A lot to do now that the menu code is finished!

Here's something to play with though and wet your taste:

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 05:19
If this is truly open source, Link to it in this thread and open an open source account - like SourceForge or Googles new one - then you can give the keys to a another trusted person - (in case YOU disappear... VanB should have keys for example) and then you can log post bugs (to trusted (not having keys) members, and you can use the code bank tfor source code control.

Good Job All! VanB, Sid, and other contributors.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 16:14
I finally read through all the pages and I can say this is going to be great, hope I can make a bigger contribution down the line. Great work everyone
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 18:47 Edited at: 15th Mar 2008 19:18
Thanks I'm working on it right now

@Van: What do you think about doing what Jason suggested and making a open source license and allow a couple people to carry the key for it? I'll look into it if you'd like. What's it called? GNU?

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello All

The update is halfway done, and it's starting to come together pretty nicely. It's been a while since I've released something, and I know your all wanting to see what's new. So, even though it's halfway done, here's a sneak peak (see attached).

@Van: I need some assistance figuring out your GUI. When a selection is made on my right click menu I need the corresponding button on the left to be selected as well. That way it's sharing the same function and what not. That part was easy, I just told my menu that the selection equals the brushmode associated with it. But one of the problems I am having is that when the right click menu selection is made, it automatically runs that brushmode code... meaning that if I selected "Place" on my right click menu, the selection not only selects the option, but it also goes ahead and places my object it right away as well.

I know from using the editor that if I select buttons on your GUI panel on the left, I can select them but the button action/brushmode code doesn't actually run. So my line of thinking was to access however your doing that and put it into my right click menu code. However I can't find where you do that! How the heck do you select something without it running the brushmode code? Follow? If not, mess around with it and you'll see what I mean. I tried looking through your code, but all your variables in your GUI code are really cryptic and I'd rather not guess and check for 2 weeks. Thanks

Also, with the Free Camera... is there a need for your RTS Cam Function anymore?

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I knew I'd forget the upload... lol

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:27:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:27:52