Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / 2008 Text Adventure Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 09:40
I would imagine it was because you want the game to run on any XP machine you have. Essentially if it doesn't run from double clicking the exe they send then the submission is cancelled. Tough. Probably best if they send stuff a bit earlier than the deadline to iron out the kinks, or to post in WIP to get people to test well in advance.

So yeah, I have no worries about other fonts. Include them with the game and no worries. A nice sci-fi or horror font would spice up the atmosphere somewhat I think. Just don't overdo it and make it unreadable. And make sure that however you package the font (as a media item in the project so included in exe, or some installer program, or even an online download direct from the program) then we just want to double click the exe and play the game (or run an installer which will then allow us to play the game). If it doesn't run (on any of my 4 PCs; I mean it may be a fault with one of my PCs but not all) then I'm not judging it.

Fair enough Matt?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 14:27
can I just include the .ttf and ask the judges to place it in their fonts folder? far simpler than making an installer program..
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 14:35
"If it doesn't run from doubleclicking the .exe"

"An installer"

Hmmm... rule collision!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 16:31 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 16:35
Quote: "Hmmm... rule collision!"
<EDIT>Whoops miss quoted. Heh, yeah I suppose so, if totally by the letter. I'm sure Matt means either you double click and the game works, or you run the installer, then the game works. The following was about the font comment really : Only mine. Matt is the one who decides on the rules. It's his competition after all. If he allows it though then expect me to mark down a game I have to start fiddling with fonts and the like. Don't notice having to do that anywhere else normally. Plus how hard can it be to put in some kind of installer (when runs program then copy to where it needs to be) compared to actually writing the game? Thats all without checking if a font file in the same directory acts like a font file in the proper system folder (you know, like DLLs do).

Quote: "can I just include the .ttf and ask the judges to place it in their fonts folder?"

See thats basically where the problem starts growing. Why not then include a note for the DLL that needs registering? Why not include instructions on how to recompile that library that it needs to run in Linux, plus how and where to register online to recieve the tools? Why not... etc... etc... See what I mean? Becomes a right can of worms if you let it. Essentially I believe Matt wants you to provide something that will be up and running with a double click of the mouse (or install program). Pretty much like just about everything else out there.

Of course though, the final say is Matts. I wouldn't have thought it would change much from what I said though, based on what he said in this and last years compo. Wouldn't surprise me if he pulls the new font idea totally because of the hassle it might bring. Which is a shame, cos I like the idea of cool fonts (especially horror and sci-fi ones).

Cheers

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 18:07
argh.. I see where you're coming from, but its throwing a lot more onto my plate than I want :X Maybe ill just drop the custom fonts and let the player choose one (I'll recommend a particular font).
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 22:30
Quote: "Maybe ill just drop the custom fonts and let the player choose one (I'll recommend a particular font)"
Yeah, that would be cool if it was configurable. Use a word wrap routine based on text size (like the code I posted earlier in this thread) and any font the user selects will do.

Or you could use a bitmapped font. So replicate it with sprites and then it doesn't matter if the user has the font installed or not.

Are you absolutely sure that keeping the font in the same directory as the game doesn't work too?

Cheers

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 00:23
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work, I tried it with a previous version of DBP, though maybe it works with the latest patch.
Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 17:33
I think the bigger question might be, "Can our game include an Installer"? If it can, then things like fonts might get installed whether you allow it or not.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 10:29
I noticed a few people are going for parsers this year. Ballsy, but nice! Anyhow, I collected a bunch of string functions that may help (originally used and altered slightly in DarkMUD). Might help some people as DBP's string functions suck extremely badly.

Cheers

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 00:10
I would join this competition, but I don't use DB anymore...

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 17:43
My demo is up, and can be downloaded here
You just unzip it and double click the "vigilance demo" shortcut. I made a shortcut so I could have a snazzy little icon, but I could get rid of that and just have the exe if you'd prefer, when I submit my entry later.

Also, a little query: when you start my demo, it plays a little intro movie. The movie is in fact an exe file played from within the main program with the "execute file" command. I included it in the main exe along with all the other media, but for some reason it only plays when it's placed in the same folder (relative to the exe) that it was when I was programming the original project, so presumably it wasn't included or something. This is got around easily by just putting the intro.exe in the rar file along with the main demo, but am I allowed to do this?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 22:00

That is amazing . Looks like some more stiff competition this year !

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
does anyone know any good fonts
the font i was using seems to not work anymore =0
arial looks like it f*cked up lol

www.freewebs.com/outscape
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 02:28
Verdana's quite good. Bookman looks kind of like Times New Roman. Courier is good for making it look typed. Stencil is good for military stuff. I think there's a gothic font which is good for historical stuff.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks gona use verdana

www.freewebs.com/outscape
Boe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 20:55 Edited at: 15th Aug 2008 04:08
Hey, after a time of on and off deciding I'm entering the 2008 TAC.

The Last Midnight

Basically, it's a dark fairytale set with traditional characters aiming to prevent the the triumph of evil.

For a critique of my overall writing quality I have the prologue enclosed in this snippet. I later plan to release a barebones demo with this and chapters 1 and 2.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 05:30
Seems pretty interesting. Well written prologue if you ask me. Darth Kiwi or Seppuku will probably be able to give you some better critiques though.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 18:07 Edited at: 15th Aug 2008 18:10
Very good: you've managed to establish some "ground rules" for the story (eg. place, characters, pack mentality regarding Wolfons etc.) in an engaging way.

I have some suggestions, but these are more stylistic suggestions than outright criticisms.
Quote: "And I should mention that two of our opponents live in the valley, that the Book of Midnight says."

I'm not wholly sure what this means: does it mean "two of our opponents live in the valley: that, [ie. "that" as in "the fact that two opponents live there"] the book of Midnight says." or does it mean "the valley which the book of Midnight mentions"?

You might also want to start a different paragraph for each speaker. This wasn't much of a problem except when there was a lot of back-and-forth dialogue, as in this paragraph:
Quote: ""Bloodthirsty beast." The older woman nodded. "Dear, we'll deal with him in time. When we no longer need him." Varriah smiled gleefully. The older woman turned with a smile, surveying the valley. "Good Zel." The older woman turned back. "Yes. Did you know that Ornoh in the wolf speech means Big Bad?" "No. Now let's go. There's work to do.""

I found it difficult to figure out which person was speaking which lines.
(I would like to point people in the direction of Cormac McCarthy's book, Blood Meridian, for his impressive control of dialogue. The book has NO SPEECH MARKS. At ALL. And yet, you always know when somebody is speaking. Let me make up an example: (this is not actually from the book: I made it up so that I wouldn't get sued for copyright or whatever.)

The room was dark as though the light were beaten into the wood slats forming walls. A man sat in the middle of the room, his head covered and face hidden with a stetson.
Well howdy.
The kid was silent.
I said, well howdy, said the man.
Howdy yself.
That's better. Suddenly the man reached for a knife in his boot and the kid was up and made a grab for the hand holding the blade.

And so on. Notice how, even though there are no speech marks, it is obvious who is speaking, and when the speaking begins and ends, due to the words used. Certain words like "said" act as triggers to tell us when a speaker has stopped and we are back to the narrator; the only place this rule is violated is "I said, well howdy", where the "I" clearly denotes a character. When the speaking ends (Suddenly the man...) we have a word which pushes us forward into the next section of text, forcing the reader to read on quickly and realise that we are no longer reading dialogue. Or, at least, that's my theory. McCarthy probably uses more complex techniques because he is a friggin' genius, of course, but I think this shows the basics of his method. However, without apt paragraphing, this technique would be incredibly difficult, thus showing how a new line for each speaker can be a real benefit to peoples' writing.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 20:09
The Perception Engine is well underway, and so is Seadome: Perception. To show my progress on both and to offer a quick playable demo of the game, this thread is available.

It contains a summary of the game, a playable demo and the manual for the Perception engine.

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made a free engine for use for this competition. Go here for the download:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=136331&b=5&p=0

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 11:24
How is everyone coming along?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 15:38
I've resigned.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 16:34
Pity! Your project looked extremely serious. Why don't you compete with the parts you have already completed and just wrap them up nicely?

Anyway. My progress is very good. I'm not posting anything in terms of information just yet, but I've definitely come a lot farther than I thought I would.

This year, I'm likely to FINISH an entry, which is the first time so far.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 19:12
I'm afraid I have also resigned.

I'm more than happy to submit the demo (I mean, why not?) if people think it'll be worth it.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 00:13
Well, I haven't worked on mine in months, I'm debating whether to submit it or save the story for next year.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 10:28
You guys are making it sound like there are NO submissions this year... Sad. =/
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 10:29 Edited at: 30th Sep 2008 10:30
Quote: "I've resigned"
Shame, I was looking forward to yours. Last years entry was very well written.

Quote: "I'm more than happy to submit the demo (I mean, why not?) if people think it'll be worth it"
I think so. A brilliant demo with well written text can be better than a fully finished but mediocre game. I remember one of my favourite adventures as a child probably had no more than 10 locations (that I discovered) and not much going on.

Quote: "I'm debating whether to submit it or save the story for next year"
Why not submit it as the first chapter, then refine everything for next year with the second chapter?

Hmmm, thats the major problem with a genre that isn't exactly popular these days, and with a long competition time (it's been going for months) then interest can wane a bit (including how you feel about your own project). I must admit with moving back to the UK and the like I have lost interest a little. C'mon though, only a few weeks to the deadline, so just chuck what you have together and we will see what comes out!

Cheers

Jaeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2008 05:03
I submitted mine. It is like my second DBP project based on pluto's tutorial with some improvements.

If you get mad and want to type something nasty about another person do this-Type what you want to say in the box then press ctrl-a and hit delete then type what you should say.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2008 08:48 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2008 08:49
Where did you submit it?

I had said I would set up an Anonymous FTP account but looks like that is more difficult than I thought. I can make a regular FTP with my webserver but then everyone would have read/write access, and then projects can be tampered with.

Does anyone have a better solution? I have a ton of space and bandwidth on my server. I can receive them as an email if that needs to be done, then distribute them to the other judges.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 07:42
Jaeg, where did you submit your entry? Did you submit it earlier in this thread and I missed it somehow? I've recieved one entry via email, from Godsey, and I have not recieved any others. If you've emailed your entry to me and you are NOT Godsey, I haven't recieved it! Try sending it to both of my email addresses (the one displayed here and mattrock{AT}misoftstudios.com). I haven't sent Godsey's entry to Jeku or Dazzag yet, I figured I'd save that for closer to the judging date so they can judge them all at the same time.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 19:05
When submitting entries, do we need to give you both the working file (the .exe, which everyone can play) plus the source-code?

I'll submit my demo fairly soon, if it's as easy as all that.

However, I think that the demo might be too big for an email-send: would it be okay if I send you a link to, say, a Mediafire hosting page, from which you can download the demo?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 00:33
It's sad, but the problem with my entry isn't actually a long competition-time, but instead too little time!

Jaeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 01:12
I am Godsey.

If you get mad and want to type something nasty about another person do this-Type what you want to say in the box then press ctrl-a and hit delete then type what you should say.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 20:23
You can submit the source code in DBA files, notepad, etc. You can cut out portions of the code that you don't want me, Jeku, or Dazzag to see as well. So long as we can look at it and know beyond any reason of doubt that you did in fact create the game, we're all good . If you submit via a link, make sure it's pointed directly at the download, and don't use a service that makes us sign up for anything, lol.

Jaeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 21:02
Yah sorry about the not so direct link I gave you Matt Rock. I didn't notice that rule when I first read through them. At least I didn't make you have to sign up for anything.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 22:32
It's all good hehe, it doesn't have to be a direct link, so long as we don't end up spending an ungodly amount of time trying to find a download link on a website, hehe.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 16:01
Damn I've not been working on this properly - I have been too busy, but I'm not quitting! Even if I don't get it finished. I'm doing bugger-all this weekend, so I'll finish chapter 1 and do chapter 2 and hopefully edit it during the week and see how far I get. My goal is to have chapter 2 finished before my Monday lecture (which is at 5pm)

You sir have the moral ambivalence of a mutated shrimp!
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 11:14
I've managed to get help from a friend and will sit down for some "extreme scripting" today, cramming in the last bit of text. (Quite a chunk of text, mind you.)
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 10:03
Alright, the deadline is in 1 day!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 10:31
Which is handy because I cart my mum back off to Cyprus on saturday

Cheers

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 18:23

Damn.

I'll get as much as I can done in script form tonight and make it as complete as possible and send off my entry around 1pm tomorrow. I've been so damn busy for the past few weeks, it's driving me mad.

I think I'll introduce more 'choice' situations as a lot of the prologue and chapter one has been scene setting and character development for the most part. It can be done! (Que thinking music)

You sir have the moral ambivalence of a mutated shrimp!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 18:43 Edited at: 16th Oct 2008 18:44
Woah - had no idea the deadline was so close!

Okay, this is a link to my entry: the demo of Vigilance.

Also, attached to this post is a notepad file of the source code. (In fact, this is not the ENTIRE source code, since I used other files to set up the "pages" and manage the hacking game elements. But there's enough there to at least prove I didn't just cut and paste it from the code snippets board.)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 21:55
I've only received one entry via email so far, Jungle Text Adventure from Jaeg. I'll email it to both Jeku and Dazzag tomorrow. I hope we get some more entries!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 00:44
That deadline did come fast! My entry is attached. It is a bit short storywise, but I personally like the technical aspect of it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 01:05 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 01:06
Isn't the deadline a day from now?

Midnight the 17th? You worry me. =/
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 18:01 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 18:01
Yes, the deadline is 11:59 Eastern time, which is, according to my Windows time, roughly 13 hours from now

Please make sure you follow all the directions and email the entries to Matt as per his instructions. Would hate for there to be any disqualifications!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 22:54
Entries that are linked to (like mine) are fine, aren't they?

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 23:07
A friend who was helping me just bugged out at the last minute, so my entry will be a lot lighter than I had hoped.

Highly unfortunate, but I guess it was coming.

I'll try to finish it off in two hours or less and then send it.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 01:19 Edited at: 18th Oct 2008 02:08
http://www.2shared.com/file/4112723/2de20c17/relic.html?

So, finally, here it comes.

Much of it had to be cut away and most of what's in there isn't balanced and hasn't been spell-checked or even run through in detail.

But it works.

I wrote the story parts myself and intended to make five chapters. All of them are written in .DOC-format, but bugs and tweaks in other areas made it impossible to finish in time for the competition.

Time. As always. Feels kind of ridiculous this time around, when we've had literally centuries to do this in. But, well, stuff happens.

Either way, this is just the beginning of this project!

"Relic" merely sees the first light of day in this form.

And of course, I hope someone has the patience to realize just how large this game is in terms of features and setting... Unfortunately, anyone that does is likely to also realize how broken it is.

Good luck everyone!

And Matt, you need to get yourself a better e-mail...

I can personally invite you to Gmail if you'd like.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 01:38 Edited at: 18th Oct 2008 01:49
<deleted>

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:05:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:05:51