Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Doubt - Single and multi player Beta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 20:58 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 20:56
After years of development, Plougot and I are now able to release the first beta version of our game.

This beta features a single player mission (about 5min long, if you are good) and a multiplayer death match. The gameplay is on an early stage, so it's not completely enjoyable but I think it is sufficient for a first version.

So far, the engine handles an advanced AI system, physics and many shaders (glow, shadows, normal mapping...).

We would be very interested to know the performances of our program on other computers, so please tell us your average framerate. There might be a few bugs too, but we haven't found anything really annoying so far.

Screenshots :

Download
Since the forum won't accept my file, I've uploaded it there : http://mathein.ifrance.com/ (close the advert to see the link).

Alternate link : http://rapidshare.com/files/145001072/Beta.rar.html

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 21:14 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 21:16
Screenshot

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 21:45 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 21:55
Aaaah c'mon you are kidding! You finished a demo of this awesome game (which looks as good as a commercial game ) and now the forum kills your file
Go upload it to some free filehoster NOOW

Edit: Thankies, will test it now =)

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 22:02
It should be OK now, but since my host won't let you download directly, you will need to download it from my 'website' (link is in the first post).

Ben Johnson
Years of Service
User Offline
Just started trying it, graphically it seems great although the AI seem to move abit slow and a crosshair would be handy. I get about 47 fps on my Nvidia 8800 GTS 310mb.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 22:19 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 22:21
Well i just played it... and i can only aim a little bit with Ctrl+Right Mousebutton, otherwise i dont know where (crosshair) or if i am really shooting (muzzle flash?) or who i should shoot (everyone is blue?).
I think the blur is a bit of a overkill (i just played at best settings). And indeed the AI at the beginning looked like slow-motion even though i had a constant 60fps ... But now lets face the good parts, enough of criticism
I liked the animations and atmoshphere (colors/level and sounds) a lot and the shadows/lights looked brilliant And the AI was good too, even though looked a little bit unorganized, maybe they should stay on the same side of the room / closer together.

Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 22:22 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 22:27
everyone isn't blue ennemies are red ^^

For tha AI, i agree with you, and that's also why this is called a "beta" and not a demo ^^
I plan to have group tactics, but for now, it's everyone for himself ^^
In the next one, maybe !

Thx !

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 22:53 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 22:56
Found a small bug: (only when trying online-mode)
In ./media/mur/metal/ is only the file mur_courbe_low.dds but the courbe.txt wants mur_courbe_l.dds ... i'll just rename the file and try again...

Edit: wait there are both files and both are needed... then i dont know whats wrong with that txt-file
( the messagebox says: Title: "Error manquante" and the message is "a\mur\metal\courbe.txt" ( i think the "media" is just cut off?)

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 23:20
Very good!

While running the game with highest on everything (graphical wise) and a resolution of 1680x1050 I was able to contain a fps ranging from 45-80.

The fps dropped during combat between AI and me.
Also when I got inside the orange room (which was where I died).

But the graphics are amazing. Maybe cut down on the blurring though.

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 23:37 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 23:39
Quote: "Maybe cut down on the blurring though."
The main problem with the motion blur is that it's not completely timer based, and the effect is not completely the same when the game run smooth (since my computer isn't that great it's hard to design).

Quote: "Found a small bug: (only when trying online-mode)"

It's strange, because I have all these file in my .rar. I think the upload has failed somehow, I'll try to upload it again.
Edit : Hmm, actually, it must be your download that failed.

Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
apparently the host cut down some of our files we have to find another one i suppose ^^

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 00:06
I found that www.box.net is very good.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 00:14
Could not load sounds at line 10374

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 00:33 Edited at: 12th Sep 2008 00:41
Quote: "Could not load sounds at line 10374"

3D Sounds probably don't work on your computer... Anyway, Dbpro's 3D Sounds system is quite inefficient... I think Math89 will recode it, but for now, you need a sound card, sorry

Edit : or maybe just new drivers would work

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 00:47
The multiplayer bug is fixed, I've uploaded the patch (same link). It was some kind of strange bug with the map.

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 02:26
Whenever I try to run the EXE using WinRAR I get some error.
I posted a screenshot of it.

Attachments

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 02:42
i will try it tomorrow, ill see if i get the same problem as hunter. i win rar to.

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 06:51
Pretty neat. The motion blur was WAY overdone, and when I disabled shaders everything else looked much less spectacular

It kind of annoyed me how the weapon wasn't automatic and it disappeared when you moved. Overall, it very cool, and awesome shaders, but it felt kind of broken. Shooting needs work, and I felt a little weird while moving around. I can see this being a pretty cool game, but the core fps mechanics need work. Good luck

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 20:00
The Motion Blur is a little overused. It has already been said. And the thing that I really dislike with this kind of Motion blur is that it looks like it captures every screen and make them fade out really fast. I want real motion blur. I really like the motion blur effect in penumbra. Check out some videos if you like.

Nice work though, I enjoyed the demo very well.

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 20:30
Quote: "it looks like it captures every screen and make them fade out really fast"

That's how it works, yes. If I remember correctly, some games check the difference in the position of every vertex between two frames and then extrude and fade the polygons. This is not possible in DBPro (at least not with a decent fps).

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 02:15
Well, actually of every pixel, this is what crysis does, it's a velocity map that is used to determinate which part of the frame should be how much blurred

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 06:41
Use a better mirror? It keeps saying "Le document que vous recherchez n'existe pas"

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 11:56
That's strange... Have you tried right click + 'save as' ? I know you can't directly download it by putting the link in the address bar, but if you download it from the web page it should work.

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 17:14
Are you talking about me?
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 17:17
No I was talking to Dark Coder. Have you tried to excract the game ? I don't think it can bu run inside the rar.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 18:02
I cannot download the file from that site using any download method, use a better mirror like megaupload or.. (vomits)rapidshare.

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 18:15 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 20:56
Ok, I've uploaded the patched version of the game on rapidshare.
http://rapidshare.com/files/145001072/Beta.rar.html

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 19:36
Oh I didn't see this.. I took a quick scan of the forum thread, disappointed when I didn't find a demo. Anyways the graphics are pretty nice but I couldn't figure out where I needed to go in game, so I just wandered around for a few minutes shooting at random things. I wouldn't mind an English version by the way

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 20:36 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 20:52
Hmm, I downloaded from rapidshare and everything seemed to come out ok, but when I tried to run the EXE I got this new error. I followed all of the settings and everything, but could it have something to do with me having Vista?

@DarkBasic Pro Guy: So you live in Broomfield. I live by Longmont.

Attachments

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 20:57
Woops, sorry. It must be OK, now.

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 22:44
yeah yeah yeah! COLORADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUFFALOES BUFFALOES GO CU!!!! WHOOO!

sorry

downloading now...

if you call me an idiot/retard again, ill stick my finger in your mouth, and i have a really dirty finger, you don't want it in there!
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 01:38
I like it, although the blur was overused, maybe use it only when running. Also when you run and you pull your gun down you shouldn't be able to shoot. One more thing, add a crosshair and make the bullet spread less.

Other than those it was good!

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 07:08 Edited at: 14th Sep 2008 07:10
As said above, the blur is overused, it should only really happen when you're dead or get hit by an explosion or something, it just made it seem like the player was on drugs or something.

The gun needs to be automatic, I'd rather not break my mouse, with this you'd need ammo, reloading etc.

The gun's accuracy was terrible, right click didn't seem to do anything and I was able to run and shoot, strafe and shoot etc, these didn't seem to change my accuracy.

The map was far too dark, I couldn't really see some of the enemies, much less if they were red or blue.

I noticed several red barrels and they weren't explosive when shot, it's banned by the Geneva convention to add red barrels to games that cannot be blown up. I read once several gaming addicts died while shooting a red barrel for a week non-stop believing it would blow up after that next shot, alas they perished before reaching it.

The AI seemed to hide behind cover well, but they seemed a bit COD4-esque, in that they spawn from a set point, they run to their post and between that you can just mow them down without them caring about the pile of bodies in front of them, I was able to rush the last stage of the map and just slaughter everyone that spawned, if they had a brain they could throw a grenade around there or take cover.

Perhaps some sort of minimap or vocal warning that the enemies are now coming from behind, after clearing the first room they spawn behind you but I wasn't aware of this and continued forward wondering where my backup was, but this isn't that important I guess.

Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 17:26 Edited at: 14th Sep 2008 22:36
I think you just don't understand what a "beta demo" means... There are plenty of things that are not done yet... Instead of focusing only on details... I think we've understood that the blur was overused ^^
And of course we will be able to reload, and to shoot only if we can see the gun, which will be automatic, and to aim more precisely...
For the AI spawning, of course it'll be more logical, with several spawn points used when the player isn't there... And there will be grenades, but i don't think it's the first kind of feature of a beta... It's a bit complicated...
And for the vocal warning : there is one, but the 3d Sound system of dbp is so inefficient that there is no way to hear it if you're not very close of the bot who says it... We will recode a 3D sound system soon.
One last thing ^^ For the english version, we translated the introduction, and the game works in qwerty, whereas most of the english games are just hard to play with azerty keyboards, so even if we don't have an english version ( we won't have one, we're french, for god sake ! ^^ you don't have french versions of your own games ), we made some efforts ^^
I insist on the fact that it is a beta version, just to show what it looks like right now...

Thx to all who encourage us to go on... Another Beta demo...mmm... Later

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 17:46
Quote: "I think you just don't understand what a "beta demo" means... There are plenty of things that are not done yet..."

What does being beta matter? Even if this was the first draft demo that wasn't even alpha I'd give those points. Besides, if this is a beta why isn't this in the WIP board and not Program Announcements?

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 18:06
Could not load sounds at line 10374 again.

So, on my laptop doesnt work. On my deskPC doesnt work

Deskpc spec: AMD 3600+, 6 GB RAM, Sound blaster X-fi Xtreme audio, Geforce 8800 320MB hey, what's up

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 23:49
Hooray! A demo! I can say that I was not dissapointed! I've been watching the WIP thread for a while now and I'm glad to see a playable version out now. I agree with most of the points in this thread, so sorry for repeating some of them. I will also add my unique observations.

Technically, a "beta" version of a game means that EVERYTHING is done. All the content and functionality should be in game, and it's going through extensive testing and maybe tweaking or polishing. An "alpha" version means that all the functionality is done, but not all of the content is done. A "tech demo," which this may be closer too, is showing off the cool physics, or graphics, or game play. Just something to consider

The voice acting was well done. It was a nice touch during the loading screen. The death voice acting was a little...graphic for my tastes though. But overall the voices were realistic.

Something that you need to add to the game is locking the mouse in one position on the screen. Most DBP shooter developers don't consider this because they never test on dual monitors. I have 2 monitors, and it's very easy to try to turn right in game and have the mouse go off screen, and I click to fire and just end up selecting a window on my second monitor. You need to position the mouse in one place on screen every loop. This is also important if you ever allow your game to be played in windowed mode.

I think you should get rid of the blur entirely. As a game designer, you must be able to make the choice of removing engine functions that don't end up working out. You have received strong negative feedback for the motion blur, and you said yourself that DBP is not capable of actual motion blur. Motion blur should not be on all the time, just when you are moving extremely fast. If you really think you can tweak it so that it doesn't get in the way of the game, then give it a try. But right now it's only taking away from the gameplay, not helping.

Is this game going to have a HUD? Sometimes it was frustrating not knowing how much health I had left, and dying often because of it. Does health regenerate? It's hard to tell without a HUD.

And agreeing with everyone else, bullet spread is a bit too much, automatic firiing would be great, a crosshair would be great. There were also some movement oddities, like your gun disappears when you crouch, and you can't walk while crouched either.

I liked it, showing great progress. Keep up the good work!

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 01:07 Edited at: 15th Sep 2008 05:41
I think the motion blur should be optional. I think it slows down my computer alot. I average at 7 frames per second. And what is with the main character dying. Are there any checkpoints or do you just sit there until you press the escape key?

The AI is amazing. Do they have avoidence detection? sometimes the enemies will walk into each other, but otherwise i think it is perfect! The action reminds me of Call of Duty!
Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so i suppose I just don't know what a "beta demo" means ^^
Anyway, the only thing i wanted to say is that if someone tells us "this stuff needs work" about something we didn't work, it's a bit pointless (i am talking about gameplay, that we really didn't work ^^, as math89 said in the first message). So let's say it's a tech demo ^^.

@ wh1sp3r : This sound problem is really annoying, but as the DBP's 3dSound system is completely inefficient, we will recode one (or more precisely, math89 will recode one^^) So this problem should be resolved.

@ QuothTheRaven : What did you mean by "The death voice acting was a little...graphic for my tastes though" sorry, i'm french ^^. Did you mean that there is too much reverb ? Cause that's what i a thinking myself...
For the mouse position, it's done for the multiplayer mode, but I suppose math89 forgot it for the single player mode ^^ It'll be fixed soon.
For the motion blur, i personnaly think that we should have it only when running extremely fast, but I am not the one in charge ^^. I think math89 will agree, but i suppose he just wanted to show that we had the effect...
There will not be any HUD, but of course we will be aware of our character's health by other ways Our Health system is still not decided, it's kind of a little cold war between me and math89 ^^. but of course, it'll be understandable for the player ^^
About bullet spread, it'll be more accurate, but not much, because we will have another aiming mode (with the right click you know). Infact, weapons will be more accurate, but they will shake when firing, so without aiming, it should be approximatively the same.
And of course, we will have machine guns.
@ Hunter 111 : You're right, it's true that Motion blur should be optional. I think math89 will agree (because it's his motion blur ^^) No checkpoints for now, you've got to press the escape key, but of course, it'll not be like that in the full game.
The AI doesn't have avoidance detection, it's one of the features missing, with group tactics and ... So many other things... ( AI is my part argh.... ^^ )

Sorry if i kind of "over-reacted" to Dark coder's post, but it was just a list of negative points, and I had the feeling it's was a bit unfair, but i may have misunderstood, as I said, i am not english^^
It's just the little polite difference between "I think you should" and "you need". But, again, i may have misunderstood ^^.

PS: What do you think about the music ? I hesitate to keep it... I like it (well, i did it ) but it may be confusing...

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 02:36 Edited at: 16th Sep 2008 02:56
I think the music is amazing! I sounds like it was made in a recording studio which gives the game a professional and epic feel!

-I just noticed something. The gun sometimes shoots out multiple bullets. Is it suppose to do this?

EDIT- Does any one want to play the multiplayer with me?
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 13:21
Quote: "The gun sometimes shoots out multiple bullets. Is it suppose to do this?"

Actually it does not, it's just that there is a random number of particles spawned when you hit a wall.

Quote: "I think it slows down my computer a lot. I average at 7 frames per second."

The blur does not slow down the game because it uses the data from the colour correction process.

Quote: "Something that you need to add to the game is locking the mouse in one position on the screen"

It already does, but only when playing in windowed mode.

Quantum Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 01:40
The graphics are good.

But it runs really really slow on my computer.

At the default setting, it ran between 20 and 50 FPS. At the Max settings (with no colour correction) .... which is what I play all my games at, I had between 6 and 13 FPS.

You can check out my computer's stats in my sig.

Dual-Core Pentium D @ 3.00GHz, 1.0 GB nVidia GeForce 8500 GT, 20" Wide screen LCD @ 10,000:1 Contrast, 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Triple-boot: 32-bit Windows XP MCE, 64-bit Vista, 64-bit Linux Ubuntu
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 10:37
I think it's because the Geforce 8500 is slow (actually, my 7600 is faster). By the way, keep in mind that some DBPro bugs slow down our game, and I think once the upgrade 7 is stable (i.e. no more camera problem) the shadows will be faster to render.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 11:00
I can understand Dark Coder's frustration. I mean, even if it's a beta, you can easily make it not shoot when running with 1 or two lines of code.

Other than that, I didn't play it too long but it seems quite neat. I suggest removing any offensive language from the intro (and other places if there is any), that always gives me an instant bad impression of a game.

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2008 02:13
meh, my computer wont download it, it just stops a little after half way. i let it sit for like 2 hours and still got nothing.

oh, and iv seen hunterH11's computer, i wouldent expect anything more than 7 fps.

Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I suggest removing any offensive language from the intro (and other places if there is any), that always gives me an instant bad impression of a game.
"

We won't. This is precisely the thing that mustn't be done. Violence is ok, but not offensive language ? If we see people dying, we don't want it to be polite (cause that would be really immoral, as if death was nothing). Death isn't clean. It's not normal to be shocked by words and not by facts.
Moreover, there isn't much offensive language in the intro. It's just a logical text. When I write, I just don't care about being polite or not. I just want to be logical compared with the character who is speaking.
A polite war always gives me an instant bad impression of a game ^^.
For the gameplay, one more time, we just didn't work on it. We wanted to show shaders, shadows, blur, AI, physics, Animations, music, sounds, those kind of features first. And yes, we could prevent the player from shooting while running, but believe me, you would be even more frustrated ^^

Quantum Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2008 19:45
I agree with you, nobody really cares if a game has "offensive" language.

In fact most of the major hit games have offensive language in them (yes, even ones that appear to not have it like Halo ... always sneak it in, in one one form or another).

People like things that are "naughty" or "bad" and flood to it. G Rated games dont sell as well if they are targeted for teens and adults, while M Rated games fly off the shelves.

And stick to it Plougot, games that portray a war or battle type scenario are trying to create a sense of realism ... and in war people dont watch what they say. So let the bad language fly! lol

Dual-Core Pentium D @ 3.00GHz, 1.0 GB nVidia GeForce 8500 GT, 20" Wide screen LCD @ 10,000:1 Contrast, 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Triple-boot: 32-bit Windows XP MCE, 64-bit Vista, 64-bit Linux Ubuntu
Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2008 05:19
@Jesusaurisrex- I got my frame rate up to 50 when I got rid of the shaders.

Wow I just noticed something. When an enemy is killed and disapears, he leaves his eyes object where his body use to be.
Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah we already noticed that, but it's not all the time ^^. It's just a little bug that will be fixed in the next version. Still it's pretty funny to have flying eyes on the map ^^

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 01:06 Edited at: 6th Oct 2008 01:38
I just played it nice work can`t wait to play the finshed version.

would love to know what the play is talking about when he dies text would be nice.

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:27:21