Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo] Fields - an RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 15:13
Quote: "Just from the screenshots though, the black bit at the edge of the terrain looks a little odd.. perhaps some sort of background could be applied?"

Yeah, it does. Maybe I'll try a skysphere there or something...

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
you got any updates for the game?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 23:51
No, not yet. I've been gone all weekend. Right now I'm going to start working on animating your vehicles and navigation for them ingame. I've decided to wait for kaedroho's UberTerrain plugin for my terrain .

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
thats a pretty good terrain that he has. i was wondering if you could send me the uv map you did for the humvee (just the colors) i want to see how it works in my program. because theres a setup that says BP UV(im assuming BodyPaintUV) but i can't get it to work or anything so i wanted to mess around with a uv map.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 00:03
Okay, I'll send that in a little while.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. i think i'll send you the cargo truck soon. its pretty done. lol ive also been animating a scene with the tank and humvee.(not textured but oh well)
black stone
Years of Service
User Offline
This is excellent. Glad i ran into this. Keep up good work.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 00:45
In the first post now you can see the first of the vehicles that will be going into this game - modelled by Azunaki and textured by me. Now I've just got to work on the pathfinding for them .

You can also see the new minimap in the same image, in the bottom-left.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 02:15
Strange, I was under the impression that this took place during the civil war period...

Is the mini-map 3d, with camera orientation?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 06:10
@Josh: Haha!

The minimap is indeed 3D, it rotates so that the data on it is always oriented with the player's view.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
the jeep texture looks pretty good. although i would like to suggest redoing the trees with a saturation map(i think thats what it is) to give it the effect of leafs. (it basically makes part of it invisible)

ive also been working on my UV mapping and my modeling cause i decided to get Zbrush and i also found a site with 12 free tutorials for it that i think im gonna use to get used to it. the tutorials all go together in an order. so im gonna be a little busy and i don't think im gonna get either of the helicopters done very soon. but I'll send the cargo truck tomorrow.

i still love how this game is turning out.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 17:14
This is developing nicely Bmac, nice to see youve been busy

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 00:54
Thanks, Azunaki. The trees are pretty much placeholders I threw togething in about 10 minutes. I'll replace them eventually with some actual trees with leaves.

Quote: "so im gonna be a little busy and i don't think im gonna get either of the helicopters done very soon. but I'll send the cargo truck tomorrow. "

That's okay, I probably won't even get to the air vehicles for quite a while yet.

@Monk:
Thanks, though unfortunately I've been far busier with homework .

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. i fixed a few little things with it and i think im gonna edit some other stuff then i'll send it over.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 18:37 Edited at: 24th Oct 2009 06:03
Okay, so the community compo is over, so it's back to work on this! I've just recently included UberTerrain, so we'll finally get some interesting elevation.

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 23:14
the terrain reminds me a little bit of bfme 1. nice. some shadows or lighting (even fake) on the buildings would help the realism very much
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 23:50 Edited at: 16th Apr 2009 23:55
I'm glad your going back to this project.

As Garion said, shadows will help the objects stand out more, but honestly I'd wait to make the game beautiful until after you've got the engine complete.

As for your little men, did you plan on texturing them anytime soon? If you needed help, I could do with the practice. I think you've seen my 2D work, so my artwork skills are decent. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Good luck!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 00:24
Thanks for the suggestion, Garion, but I think Josh is probably right about the engine first . I'll make a note of that...

As for the guys, I'm not sure why I haven't textured them yet. I haven't even tried. If you want to have a go, I'll post the model or send it over. I'd be glad of the help .

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
yea glad to see your back to work on this. (community comp?)
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 03:24
Yeah, I was working on another game (see sig) for the First Community Competition.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
oh that's what nebula was for... i was wondering..hey if you want me to do some more models i can. (ive got some free time coming up)
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 04:59
Nah, I think I'm set for now, I haven't even started texturing and animating your tank and truck yet . I'm moving more into attacking and enemy ai at the moment. Thanks for the offer, though.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
ok
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 00:33
Glad to help Once you get your model together, send it my way. Email is fine.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 01:01
Ok. What email?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 04:45
That's weird...swear I had it on my profile. Anyway it should be there now, if not it's: Josh_Mooney(at)live.com

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great!

One thing though, how do you do the box selection? Ive been fiddling around with the RTS genre as a break from my current project (sig) and I could never really get box selection working. (Apart from drawing the box itself)

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 19:34 Edited at: 24th Oct 2009 06:04
@Serial Velocity
When the player clicks the mouse, I record its X and Y position. Then when they release the mouse, I look at the OBJECT SCREEN X() and OBJECT SCREEN Y() positions of all the sims and see if they are inside the box.

@All
I've been slowly plodding along on a wide array of new stuff...

In this shot you can see the program now displays which sims you have selected. You can also see the new physics flags.
[See first post]

And I'm also working on fine-tuning the values for physics vehicles.

Additionally, I'm messing with mesh deformation to make more interactive animations for the sims.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
hey if you need any more vehicles or anything made i have some time and could do it.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 02:31
Thanks, but I still haven't fully finished texturing and setting up the cargo truck and tank yet, though . I'm not going to be ready for more models until I get around to that, and vehicles aren't the biggest priority right now - I have some bad pathfinding glitches I really need to fix, and after that I want to try to get into combat.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll help out with the media if you want.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 03:12
@Deathead

Thanks for the offer ! Which media were you thinking of?

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Buildings, Normal maps, textures..

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 04:15
Okay, I'll send you an e-mail once the busy busy month of May is over and I've turned in my paper and my 3dMaster entry...I just need to do a little more setup on the two vehicles of Azunaki's and they'll be ready to texture. Thanks for the offer!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 20:26 Edited at: 28th May 2009 20:27
Just to let you know I started to crack on some objects due to some boredom.. You know the tiled roofs on some buildings I made a brand new texture with normal map and this is the final out-come both together.

I made all the textures myself, they are not photo-source.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 00:44
Nice roof! If you really want to do something now, I could send you over the buildings I suppose. They could use something better than me slapping cgtextures images on them.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 03:13 Edited at: 29th May 2009 15:30
That'd be cool. The .x doesn't work in blender can you send them as .3ds?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 01:58
When can we expect another demo?

Looking great! I couldn't help but spot a few seams caused by BlitzTerrain. But dont worry, in a few days they will be gone!

Keep up the great work!

New specs: Nvidia Geforce 9600GS 768MB, AMD Anthlon x64 X2 4000+ (2.6GHz Dual core), 3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and a big hard drive.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 16:49
Well, school is officially over as of two days ago, so hopefully summer will free up some time and give me some motivation to work on this. I won't put a date out yet but let's say as soon as I fix up the pathfinding a bit and get attacking done.

qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 15:47
i like your style. i like how the soldiers/units are actual-size compared to the buildings, too. i have yet to try the demo; this looks promising though
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 17:42
Thanks qwe. I haven't worked on this much lately because I've been learning C++. I have an idea for a new pathfinding function that should hopefully be many times faster than A*. The way it is set up will also allow me to ditch the grid-based system I'm using - this means buildings can be placed absolutely anwhere (not limited to grid) and the sims should move much more realistically rather than only moving in 8 directions.

Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey BMacZero, I think you sent the source code to somebody (a simplified version) but can i look at the RTS source?

I think my email is on this post, so you can send it to my email.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 21:35 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 21:37
I just received 3 mail back emails for this thread but nothing was posted here :S. I think it could be a bug with people who need their posts authorised, it still sends the emails out.

Anyway, hows work coming along? Got any more problems with blitzterrain?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 22:30
@Potassium
Sure, I'll send it over. I'll just warn you that it's rather long and only slightly organized and commented, so if you're looking to learn from it, it'll take some time and experimentation. I wish I still had the simple one to send you.

@kaedroho
BlitzTerrain is working great now, though I don't think I'm using the latest version. I'm just waiting for the RTMS commands (as you know ).
Progress has actually been backwards quite a bit lately . My A* pathfinding function started doing some really odd things, so I completely cut vehicles and weapons temporarily to try to get the basic engine working better. I'm in the process of writing the new pathfinding engine I mentioned above, but I've been a bit stuck for the past few days...I need to go take another look at it right now.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 06:08
I want to bump this to make sure it doesn't auto-lock, because this is still my main project, and as soon as school lets up a bit I want to get some work done on it.

I really need to neaten up the code in general. Specifically, I'm going to do a complete rewrite of the pathfinding, probably going to be looking for help on that in the DBP forums soon.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
BMac: If you send the buildings over as .3ds or .obj, I can import them into Blender, and get a start on texture on them.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 17:15
Sure thing, did I forget about that earlier?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
No ages ago. Just have a good memory.lol And that the posts are just a few up.lmao

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 20:53
So its donation time? Hmm I have some stuff you might be interested in,ill search and see if I can find,if I find ill be sure to send,or ill atleast do one for ya.

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So its donation time? Hmm I have some stuff you might be interested in,ill search and see if I can find,if I find ill be sure to send,or ill atleast do one for ya."

No, its that I was going to model some stuff for him ages ago, May time actually, but Blender couldn't open up the required file.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:57:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:57:50