Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dream- OFFICIAL DEMO RELEASE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 16:08
Bizar Guy, your dedication to this project is inspiring. Looking better every time I lurk through the thread!!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 20:21
Awesome! I agree with Drew, your work is getting better as time goes by and your dedication to the project is inspiring as well as appreciated.

This message was brought to you by
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 07:40
@TheZachadoodle, the yellow suit is under wraps until the game comes out, but feel free to guess!

@Drew Cameron, Thanks! I just wish my dedication matched the time I could work on it.

@Yodaman Jer, Thank you as well!

As a side note for something else I'm doing, I'm finally posting a Webcomic online. I'm having a bit of trouble with getting a site up right now, so currently it's just on Deviant Art. But it's a start, and I'd rather not wait forever to have it out there in some form. My sig links to my deviant art page, which for now is the home of the comic.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 21:35
Sorry I know this is off topic, Bizar Guy i've sent you an email on your forum address but I haven't had a reply. It's about a prize for your Newsletter cover design. I need to pass your details to Rick or you can mail him and point him to my post here.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 09:03
Got back to you, sorry I'm just very busy currently. Thank you very much!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 16:57
Congrats in your cover design, it's very nice.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 06:03 Edited at: 8th Nov 2009 15:46
Thanks.

Not a ton of time to work on Dream. Next semester, I'll have a good deal more time. I made sure of that.

Here's a pic of something else you all should recognize, that looks significantly better.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 22:39
Hi Bizar Guy. I found a cool picture on your "deviant art" space and I think imma use it for my avatar picture for a little while. I hope that's okay with you.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 02:31 Edited at: 9th Nov 2009 21:17
Umm, sure! Just remember though that it's my profile pic for a reason (that's what I look like, only with a smaller hat).

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 03:20
Two Bizar Guys?
Oh, and nice screenshot, Bizar Guy 1!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 03:36
It's in color! Very cool. Ever thought of giving some scenes a fuzzy look, sorta like a dream blur effect during cutscenes? Just a thought.

Nice work as always.

Also looked over your deviant page and at your comics, so cool stuff. I want to know what happens next in them.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2009 04:20
I don't know if the crates are a new texture or I just didn't notice before but they look fantastic.

You seem to be putting a lot of shine on the game. I assume the project is quite large (lines of code) so do you make little demos of the special effects first or do you plug them in and wait for it to compile and see? I have a large-ish project and I find adding/tweaking special effects to take forever. Just wondering how you do it. Thanks.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 04:09 Edited at: 28th Nov 2009 05:21
Sorry for lack of updates recently, college.

@zzz, I don't know, but it's ok with me. And thanks!

@Josh Mooney, thanks! When you play the game there is actually an effect that makes everything seem to move a little. About the comic, thanks! I'm updating it Wednesdays now.

@tiresius, well I gave the crates/boxes a new model and texture. Thanks! The game is like 6-8 thousand lines of code, but unfortunately I don't test everything separately. I really should though, and recommend that you do. If I had been a better coder when I started Dream, I would have, and there would be a decent level editor.

Edit: Reposting last screenshot:

Oh, and I got some of the pictures for the cut scenes done, The eye vid is totally complete (I think)! I'll upload a vid of I soon, probably.

Edit2:

ok, here's the new eye vid:

-
-
-
------------
WATCH EYE VID
------------
-
-
-

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 15:48
@ Bizar Guy
If you're having issues with Fraps, you should do what I did n get Cam Studio. It's free, but for some reason not very popular, and seems superior to Fraps in every way. :S xD (It's also unlimited)

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 03:36
spoiler:

...also I know a lot of peps say you need to update his walking animation, but I say don't. It's unique to his character and the game, updating it so it's smoother would destroy that.

Just my opinion though.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 03:49 Edited at: 29th Nov 2009 03:50
@C0wbox, checked it out, maybe I got the wrong version (version 2.0), but it ran terrible, and was slower than fraps (though it had no time limit, and was consistent).

@Josh Mooney,
. About the walking, I'd basically need to make a whole new model if I wanted to update the walking. I literally do not have the model with the texture mapped properly and animated anymore. It got lost on an older computer of mine years ago. I don't even have the computer anymore. The most I could do is fine some way to blend the animations together (or update the texture like I did).

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 14:37
@ Bizar Guy
Oh, well, in my experience of it, I think if you change some of the settings, it runs fine at a lowish res. (Try recording at 640x480 windowed (not fullscreen))

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 07:41
Hmmm, we'll see. I'll try it as well the next time I make a vid.

Not an update, so much as showing something that's been improved I don't think has been seen before, and another thought provoking thing.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 15:08

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 18:18
Nice screenshot! The "cracks" around the opening looks a little weird though, a little too bright perhaps? But it's hard to judge since I don't know what it is he is walking into.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 06:33
I like that screen shot! It looks really cool.

I've recently upgraded to Windows 7; do you know if Dream has full support for it yet? If not, I may be able to test it (though I have a widescreen monitor and Dream will probably look stretched ).

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 08:44
pretty nice game indeed, i've just seen the vid, i like that volcano xD

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 13:32
@CoffeeCoder:
In my opinion, DBC games works better(and a little faster) in Windows 7 than in Vista.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 19:22
Sorry I've been gone a while, so much to do!!

@Josh Mooney, yes, that is "a" train.

@zzz, you're quite right, I still need to do a lot of work on that level.

@CoffeeCoder, as far as I know it should work. Cant say until I have windows seven in a few days though.

@Hassan, Thanks!

Well, I'm going to release a new demo on the first. 1.5 more levels. There are some more scenes I have to add to the first six levels still, and I want to push the visuals even further. I think I'll try adding some darks, and more effects.

After that, I'll keep working on the rest of the game.

Will start updating again soon. Also, you might start seeing a new wip feb or march from me, and I'll be working on both that and dream if I don't finish dream by then. The other one I'm getting credit to do.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks kinda of weird (in a good way) like is it some psychological thriller that deals with Kel's head being in a messed up world? I think that this why I compare it with Eraserhead but, I still love weird movies they're pretty cool. Like have you ever heard of the weird movie Videodrome?

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:02
Quote: "have you ever heard of the weird movie Videodrome?"

No. Hmm. I wonder what movie I would compare Dream to myself? Not to sure. I can't see it out of the context it now has, so it's difficult for me.

Here's a peak of the new opening being done. Same content, only more of it.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 03:32
Quote: "as far as I know it should work. Cant say until I have windows seven in a few days though."

I would test it, but my laptop is widescreen and thus it would stretch (unless you've got a windowed mode).

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
hey Bizar Guy. Nice looking game, very impressive.

I just have one question, i presume you are using dbp, but how are you handling the toon look to it, are you using a shader or the method of duplicating a model and coloring it black?.

Thanks,
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 21:25
I believe he is duplicating the model, inverting the faces, and then coloring it black. Very simple, yet very effective!

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 22:21
All I can say is wow!

I just played it from start to finish, and its amazing.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 23:06 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 23:08
Quote: "I would test it, but my laptop is widescreen and thus it would stretch (unless you've got a windowed mode)."

Ah, thank you! I almost forgot I still need to add widescreen support.

Quote: "I just have one question, i presume you are using dbp, but how are you handling the toon look to it, are you using a shader or the method of duplicating a model and coloring it black?."

I am actually using DBC . But CoffeeCoder is right mostly. The only major difference is that on the complex models like Kel (main character), after coping the model I have to change the mesh quite a lot to work as an outline.

Quote: "All I can say is wow!

I just played it from start to finish, and its amazing."

Thank you!
I'll be releasing a new demo soon, very little additional consent, aside from a hugely updated game presentation.

Here's another picture that will make it's way into the first 6 levels.

Edit: hmm, the quality is too low, I'll have to fix that.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 22:55
Bad news, even during my break I'm super busy!! :/

New Demo will be a bit later than New Years day I think, unless I go into nonstop work mode, and don't finish the comic for tomorrow (for those who don't know, I've started a web comic, though it's only on deviant art right now. See sig).

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 18:08
from your drawings I can say you are improving as an artist. Congrats and I hoper you continue like that.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 08:10 Edited at: 8th Jan 2010 14:47
@ Alfa x, thanks, I'll try

Ok, I've been redoing every single text in dream, updating the visual style, as well as the wording to be cannon and better written. All this, and the file size is smaller, due to the magic of PNGs.

Looks particularly good in motion, as the outline and the white behind the text float and move a bit independently, as does the continue sign.

So I'll try to have a new demo out soon. I still have more to draw and some more to update, but it's getting there. I'm glad to be able to work on it at all.

I find it funny all the gameplay content is finished, the game looks finished, yet I feel so far from completion.

Edit: Wow, ok. Next thing I fix up is the grid and the lights under it. that stuff hasn't had an update in forever.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 14:13
Aah, sweet!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 20:41
Wow, those new bubbles look great! You're doing a fantastic job on this!

I really hope it'll work on Windows 7. It should as long you include the d3drm.dll in the folder with the .exe file in it...you probably knew that already.

Quote: "I find it funny all the gameplay content is finished, the game looks finished, yet I feel so far from completion."

Every game developer here knows what you mean.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 05:35
@zzz, thank you sir! I'm liking you're new text thingy as well!

@CoffeeCoder, thanks! Well, it's dbc 1.2, so you shouldn't have to include the dll, but if so, I'll be sure to! I have yet to test on a windows 7 machine, will do so when I get back to school on my friends.

Well, here are some more significant visual improvements.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 05:15 Edited at: 11th Jan 2010 05:17
Soooo much work done today!! Most of it is stuff that is secret, but might just appear a bit in the next demo for those clever enough to find it!

along with a bunch of visual enhancements as well, I went back and rebuilt what I thought were the three weakest levels in the game, 2,3 and 4. They now are not only opening levels, but actually worthwhile and interesting. Level 2 was a joke before. :/

Here's pics of three and four. Level two still needs it's camera's rebuilt, will show a picture of it once that's done.

Oh, also added much to the Maze level, will show some of that when the cameras and model for that level are updated too. I can't stress how much got done today. It was pretty incredible. I just don't want to list it all for one reason or another.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 16:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2010 16:29
I like all the new textures for the glow and shadow(the thing behind the door)! Looks like it was drawn by hand, nice!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 22:00 Edited at: 11th Jan 2010 22:01
@zzz, thanks! It looks even better in motion. The glow coming from the door and the edges of the level flicker.

K, level 2 camera's are done!

start of level 2

more of a full shot

now, if it's gone unnoticed so far I've added a slight randomization to the positioning and rotation of the blocks giving a more organic and uncertain feel.

When the static hits, this goes crazy.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 23:32
Quote: "I've added a slight randomization to the positioning and rotation of the blocks giving a more organic and uncertain feel."

Would these values happen to be 0.2 or 0.3? Just curious; it's a great effect! It's little things like that that somehow make all the difference.

Looking great and better than ever, dude. Keep it up!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 07:34 Edited at: 8th Feb 2010 08:42
Apologies for the lack of updates. Dream is being worked on, and consistently. But a pace that fits in my schedule. I'll work on updating the thread later this week.
EDIT: Hell, I may be abandoning this thread. Dunno. I don't really have time to update thread even. Working on dream is more important, and I get precious little time to do that.

Most of work is going into getting a demo out, or making parts that will be in the demo up to the caliber of the later levels.

I'm also thinking of making a new thread yet again, for a new demo. It's been a whole year. :/

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 18:01 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2010 18:06
Quote: "EDIT: Hell, I may be abandoning this thread. Dunno. I don't really have time to update thread even. Working on dream is more important, and I get precious little time to do that."

Hmmm...Exams...Essays and college in the way?

LOLZ

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 07:49 Edited at: 5th Apr 2010 07:50
Dream has made major progress, though I don't really want to update until I have the next demo. That may not be until May.

Also, this thread is 2 months dead. Please leave it be, I'll start a new thread when I have time.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry...

Still hope you do well TEHE!!!

....Just kidding with you...

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline