Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official FPSC Migration Discussion Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 20:05
yeah same... what would you rather have though the migration or V2?
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 20:16
The migration...it has everything V2 has + the other features mentioned in the list...and as far as I know V2 won't be coming out because there's no need for it because the migration is open-source

Coming Soon...
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 20:59
yeah i guess
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Man I am excited. It is going to be awesome.
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 21:58
it is indeed
gmr1923
Years of Service
User Offline
maby lee will release a beta verision with what he has put in it already so we can see how good it is so far (but maby not today)

if i could guess it will be about march or april before it compleatly comes out.

gmr1923

gmr1923
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:21
A beta for v2 would make sense as he'd need the community to test it as well.

Kola
Semi-covert ops in north Russia
TBA 2009
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:26
Quote: "maby lee will release a beta verision with what he has put in it already so we can see how good it is so far (but maby not today)

if i could guess it will be about march or april before it compleatly comes out."

Please, Lee! O Great One!! GIVE US A BETA!!! But yeah... March or April sounds about right to me...

"When i first beheld this apparation--for i could scarcely regard it as less--my wonder and my terror were extreme." Edgar Allan Poe- 1841
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:50
March or April? Yeah right. He said he would be putting a couple of months onto X10. Which he hasn't started yet so. And the migration would be...MUCH....harder to do than adding new features to X10. So don't expect a beta until 2010 I would say.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 10:13
Quote: "So don't expect a beta until 2010 I would say."

I'm guessing mid-late 2009 (July-December) but of course, we need to see how big the X10 update is. If it's a couple of small features, it shouldn't take too much time.

Coming Soon...
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 10:30 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 10:31
*sigh*
He said himself it would take months so...big update.
Loads of new stuff is going into x10 though YAY
And the migration will take forever man. Once again, you fail to see what programming is like. Especially something like the migration.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 12:38
I got a short question set from a forum member, so decided to put X10 down for a second and answers here to give you an update:

1.Has work begun on v2/The migration yet?
NOT YET - PLANNED AFTER THE X10 UPDATE

2.Do you have a definite features list that you would be willing to give to me?
NO FEATURE LIST, JOB ONE WOULD BE TO BLEND X9 INTO X10 AND PRODUCE SOMETHING GOOD FROM THAT

3.If work hasn't begun yet, when do you plan to begin?
AFTER THE X10 WORK, NOT SURE HOW LONG THE X10 WORK WILL TAKE. MONTHS NOT WEEKS

4. Which version of Dark Basic Pro will you use?
IT WILL HAVE TO BE A NEW VERSION OF DBPRO WHICH CAN HANDLE A SMALL SUBSET OF DIRECTX10 COMMANDS, SO WATCH OUT FOR THAT!

5.Will FPS Creator V2 still be supported (with new patches etc.)
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS V2 IN MY MIND. WE HAVE X9 (ORIGINAL), X10 (DIRECTX10) AND MIGRATION (X9+X10). WHEN THE MIGRATION IS COMPLETE, WE WILL SLOWLY CEASE SUPPORT FOR X9 AND X10 IN FAVOUR OF THE NEW MIGRATION VERSION WHICH WILL BE SUPPORTED AS THE NEW ENGINE.

6.Will .fpm's be compatible with the migration?
YES, YOU CAN LOAD IN YOUR OLD LEVELS AND GAME PROJECTS, ALTHOUGH THERE MAY BE SOME ISSUES WITH SCRIPTS AND MEDIA AS YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THE DECISIONS WE WILL NEED TO MAKE TO BLEND X9 AND X10 TOGETHER.

7.Will anything to do with multiplayer be changed?
NO PLANS TO TOUCH THE MULTIPLAYER SIDE AT THIS STAGE. PERHAPS WHEN THE MIGRATION VERSION IS ESTABLISHED WE CAN EXPAND THIS IF ENOUGH DEMAND IS SHOWN.

8.Will bloom be in the migration?
OF COURSE

9.Will either use a timer-based system?
THE MIGRATION WILL BE BASED ON THE X10 METHOD OF USING TIMER BASED LOGIC, WHICH MEANS YOUR FPS CAN CHANGE BUT THE GAME STAYS THE SAME CONSISTENT SPEED.

10.Will vehicles ever be able to be used?
EVENTUALLY YES, BUT I THINK YOU WILL WANT MORE REALISTIC OUTDOOR SCENES BEFORE VEHICLES ARE ADDED. IT MAKES SENSE TO DO SOME THINGS IN ORDER.

11.Can we finally build outdoor environments without critical slow downs?
HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING THERE ARE NO PLANS PRIOR TO THE MIGRATION TO LOOK AT FAST OUTDOOR SCENES, BUT ONCE WE HAVE A MIGRATION VERSION THEN IT MAKES SENSE TO LOOK CLOSER AT THIS.

12.Will custom content be compatible?
OF COURSE, AS IT IS NOW.

13.Can we use new audio and video formats?
NO NEW FORMATS ARE GOING TO BE SUPPORTED.

14.What do you mean by dynamic menus?
A DYNAMIC MENU IS A MENU THAT CHANGES. A STATIC MENU IS A MENU THAT DOES NOT CHANGE.

15.Will the migration implement the ability to melee with all weapons which you mentioned in the Feb 2008 Newsletter?
THERE ARE NO PLANS TO ADD OR EXTEND THE MELEE FEATURES OF THE ENGINE, AS THE PRODUCT IS STILL CURRENTLY PITCHED AS A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER (RATHER THAN A FIRST PERSON THUMPER).

16.Will the migration use GPU Instancing?
IF THE GAME IS FOR DIRECT X10, THEN IT WILL USE GPU INSTANCING YES.

17.Will you be implementing any of the features from Ply's mod (including scripting conditions/actions and camera control)?
THERE ARE NO PLANS TO TAKE FEATURES FROM THIRD PARTY MODS PRIOR TO THE COMPLETION OF THE MIGRATION VERSION. THERE ARE SOME GREAT FEATURES OUT THERE, AND I AM SURE THAT WITH PERMISSION I CAN USE A FEW OF THEM, BUT OFFICIALLY YOU SHOULD NOT EXPECT ANY.

And lo, after much toil, he placed his keyboard on the ground and lo, he saw that it was good. Then his PC crashed, and lo, he saw that is wasn't good enough!
_sYn_
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Lee !

Thanks for your answer

I have one question: Do you think you could implementing some of the Airmod features (like recoil for example) ?

best sYn

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 13:50
The man himself has spoken

Quote: "CURRENTLY PITCHED AS A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER (RATHER THAN A FIRST PERSON THUMPER)."
- Lol

Thanks Lee, Im sure you've cleared up allot of questions and clouded minds
Good Luck for the project ahead

The Raw SandVich

I have one more question ,but you may not get to it:
Will this be Vista AND XP compatible?

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 14:04 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 14:26
Being a topic I havn't had a lot of time to read up on. I have some questions I would also like to ask.

Quote: "WHEN THE MIGRATION IS COMPLETE, WE WILL SLOWLY CEASE SUPPORT FOR X9 AND X10"

Will the Migration be supported by using a x9 system, like a dual Direct x9/x10 feature? or is the
Quote: "NEW MIGRATION VERSION WHICH WILL BE SUPPORTED AS THE NEW ENGINE.
"

Planned for x10 systems only?

Oh, one last Q.
Going from your post, x10 update and then migration work. Does this mean
v1.14 will be the last update to be worked on for fpsc x9?

Thanks.

Blazor X Studio
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 15:07
Thanks for that Lee, i'll add you to my post

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Fluffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:17
So there will only be one FPSC called the Migration version which will be for X9 and X10? Am I right?

You just wasted a few seconds of your life reading this signature!
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:33
yep, im real exited lol
The God has spoken (Lee)
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 20:15
Eesh Lee, there was no need to shout...

Just messing with you, thanks for the info

Paul

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 20:36
Glad to hear Lee's personal (and logical) opinions and plans.

So, after the migration and major updates, FPSC will slowly stop getting updated, no more features will be added and only the bugs will be fixed.

Sounds reasonable.

As long as the lag is fixed, the ragdolls/water are added and the other annoying glitches removed, I'm happy.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce the combined size to 600x120 maximum size
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 20:43
Aaagreen, i think you misunderstood what he said. He meant that support for FPSC X9 and X10 would be dropped, and support would continue for the new, migration version

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:56
Hmmm, I noticed he would merge parts of X10 into this hybrid engine, does that mean we have to upgrade to X10 compatibility?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:59 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 23:00
I hope not, because if that would be the case, I'd be using the XP version.

Kola
Semi-covert ops in north Russia
TBA 2009
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 23:10
@CG _ CoffeeGrunt, no then there would be no point of the migration. its for x9 but you can use your dx10 hardware on it.
Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 00:53
Quote: "5.Will FPS Creator V2 still be supported (with new patches etc.)
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS V2 IN MY MIND. WE HAVE X9 (ORIGINAL), X10 (DIRECTX10) AND MIGRATION (X9+X10). WHEN THE MIGRATION IS COMPLETE, WE WILL SLOWLY CEASE SUPPORT FOR X9 AND X10 IN FAVOUR OF THE NEW MIGRATION VERSION WHICH WILL BE SUPPORTED AS THE NEW ENGINE."

Quote: "10.Will vehicles ever be able to be used?
EVENTUALLY YES, BUT I THINK YOU WILL WANT MORE REALISTIC OUTDOOR SCENES BEFORE VEHICLES ARE ADDED. IT MAKES SENSE TO DO SOME THINGS IN ORDER."

Quote: "11.Can we finally build outdoor environments without critical slow downs?
HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING THERE ARE NO PLANS PRIOR TO THE MIGRATION TO LOOK AT FAST OUTDOOR SCENES, BUT ONCE WE HAVE A MIGRATION VERSION THEN IT MAKES SENSE TO LOOK CLOSER AT THIS."

This is gonna be awesome

"When i first beheld this apparation--for i could scarcely regard it as less--my wonder and my terror were extreme." Edgar Allan Poe- 1841
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 09:05
If AirMod does get implemented, we would be able to have the melee anyway (for instance, in his video the creator showcased a machine gun which could use iron sites, use the attached grenade launcher, and melee)

Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 09:51
Quote: "If AirMod does get implemented, we would be able to have the melee anyway (for instance, in his video the creator showcased a machine gun which could use iron sites, use the attached grenade launcher, and melee)"

That too, will be awesome. Looks like things will be really looking up for FPSC in good time...

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 17:59
very exciting , and marc do you have that vid with the melee and that, also is it gun melee or just knives and that ?
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 18:19
gun melee, here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isGqfUt1TM0

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 18:32
Quote: "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS V2 IN MY MIND. WE HAVE X9 (ORIGINAL), X10 (DIRECTX10) AND MIGRATION (X9+X10). WHEN THE MIGRATION IS COMPLETE, WE WILL SLOWLY CEASE SUPPORT FOR X9 AND X10 IN FAVOUR OF THE NEW MIGRATION VERSION WHICH WILL BE SUPPORTED AS THE NEW ENGINE."

Quote: "8.Will bloom be in the migration?
OF COURSE "

Quote: "1.Has work begun on v2/The migration yet?
NOT YET - PLANNED AFTER THE X10 UPDATE"

Quote: "9.Will either use a timer-based system?
THE MIGRATION WILL BE BASED ON THE X10 METHOD OF USING TIMER BASED LOGIC, WHICH MEANS YOUR FPS CAN CHANGE BUT THE GAME STAYS THE SAME CONSISTENT SPEED."

All music to my ears....... (even if the migration hasn't been started yet, at least we know when now)

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 18:46
lee told me it will be this year not 2010
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 19:02
I think that Lee's post should be remade similarly as a sticky once his x10 updates are done; it should make some people who didn't read this or are new much happier

OR a new section (like how we have the fpsc x10 section) should b added just for the Migration.

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 19:26
agreed
X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 20:15
very exciting news, i can see this done by end of 2009! Great
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 12:37
bump

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 17:59
lol i want more info
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 20:02
We'll need to keep a lookout for the X10 update

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 20:54
hmmm.....One thing i really wanted to hear about was ragdolls in an xp enviorment, but o well, I'll send of my soldiers ahead to dig something up until the Features list comes out.....

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 21:30
Krowsnest what do you mean? We're definatly getting ragdoll

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I really haven't got the patience to read this whole topic, so can someone brief me on what this whole "migration" thing is about?

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 21:48
Quote: "I really haven't got the patience to read this whole topic, so can someone brief me on what this whole "migration" thing is about?"

I'm going to say no to that. Instead, don't be lazy and read some of this thread yourself. Lee made a post in this thread, I'd start there.

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 21:52
Quote: "I really haven't got the patience to read this whole topic, so can someone brief me on what this whole "migration" thing is about?"

let me translate that, "im lazy so i dont want the migration normal fpsc is enough for me"

Joke
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
...I'm not lazy, I just don't see reading 4 pages worth of people arguing over what features will be there and what will not.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:12
I don't know why you guys are in such a hurry, its going to take a while before he even comes back to X9. To me you guys have no patience.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:25
Quote: "I just don't see reading 4 pages worth of people arguing over what features will be there and what will not."

Then you already know what the migration is. It's an update with a lot of features.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought it was for x10 people only?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
It's basically creating a hybrid engine X9/X10, he's morphing them into one engine, so it's no longer X9 and X10, it's an X9 with extra features for users with direct X10.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
That sounds great!

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 08:16
You could just read the first post and that sums the thread up. Lee posted somewhere on page 3 but i've added his post at the bottom of my first post.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 17:46
Maybe you should call the migration version: FPSCreator Ultimate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:17:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:17:50