Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official FPSC Migration Discussion Thread

Author
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 21:34 Edited at: 14th Oct 2010 21:35
Quote: "

Why are people reporting bugs in 1.18 beta 3 in here when Lee made a topic precisely for this purpose ??"

Some people don't know how to read. Plus it buries those of us with questions that yet have been answered.

@ Lee

We had a discussion back on page 85 regarding the ambience lighting in a test game vs build game (Issue first brought up by Rolfy). Flatlander had passed us some information regarding the ambience setting, some sort of code in the source, and even made a bypass for us in RPG Mod. Then another post came here regarding the ambience issue was fixed (Message shared by Rolfy). I had asked if this meant the "override code" that Flatlander had informed us on was being removed?

I've been waiting patiently for a response, and I realize you are very busy, but it would be nice to get some sort of answer to questions asked. Not all of us do this for a hobby. If you prefer those of us that develop for a living to email you directly, we can start doing that, as it seems a lot of our questions seem to get ignored and fall by the wayside.

- BlackFox

RPG Mod- Create a world full of adventure
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 21:41
Quote: "Some people don't know how to read. Plus it buries those of us with questions that yet have been answered."

I'll put a reminder at the top of the first post to help stop the aforementioned issue.

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2010 02:00 Edited at: 15th Oct 2010 02:02
Blackfox, the issue I had with ambient lighting was down to me wanting no lights at all in scene, this was how I noticed it.
My own personal issue was fixed by simply placing a static light in scene,it didnt matter where or if it even cast light on any segments or entities. I just gave it a very small range and over at edge of the map, cured everything for me and ambient lighting then worked as it should.
As it is I now really like the ability to change ambience with keys during test level
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2010 04:26 Edited at: 15th Oct 2010 04:41
Quote: "Blackfox, the issue I had with ambient lighting was down to me wanting no lights at all in scene, this was how I noticed it.
My own personal issue was fixed by simply placing a static light in scene,it didnt matter where or if it even cast light on any segments or entities. I just gave it a very small range and over at edge of the map, cured everything for me and ambient lighting then worked as it should."

Understood. I know that Flatlander worked on a command we have in RPG Mod to bypass this "code relating to ambience lighting" or whatever it was that he discovered. I was hoping to find out what "got fixed" and if we needed to remove our bypass he coded or not. During your issues, we were having issues as well where our lighting was not changing at all, but we did find the cause and fixed it accordingly.

I guess it just gets frustrating when legit questions get lost and ignored while others use the forum as a messaging service, and the threads end up bloated.

- BlackFox

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 04:41 Edited at: 16th Oct 2010 04:42
Please can someone tell me where I can download the V117 final source code / files and which DBPro update I should use to compile it?

Thanks

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 05:01 Edited at: 16th Oct 2010 05:06
Quote: "Please can someone tell me where I can download the V117 final source code / files and which DBPro update I should use to compile it?"

Try here:

DarkBASIC Professional Upgrade 7.5

DarkBASIC Professional Upgrade 7.5 Extras

At least that is what I'm using.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 05:04
Quote: "Please can someone tell me where I can download the V117 final source code "

There is no official release of the source code as yet.

You can only get it on google code. I cannot remember which release # it was. You might be able to check the releases by date and match up when the official release was. Of course, I'm not sure if Lee made any additions to it before he compiled for the official version release. However, I have not as yet had any problems with my compiled version of RPG Mod.

As far as DBPro, it would be the most recent released version.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Add more adventure to your game -- use RPG Mod
Tyguy80s
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh THANK GOD (Jesus, whom ever you celebrate)! I LOVE YOU FPSC DEVELOPMENT TEAM! (Not in a consensual way) I can't wait to try out the new beta 3 for 1.18! I'll try to add some pointers to the system when I get it working.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2010 04:43 Edited at: 18th Oct 2010 04:44
@BlackFox and Flatlander

Thanks, I'm able to compile the V117 source code now.

I just have one problem when I replace the official V117009 executable with mine the engine no longer does lightmapping.

If I use the LightMapper.dll from DBPro 7.5 extras I get an error report saying its not valid and the build fails. If I use the LightMapper.dll from 7.4 extras it compiles but I don't get lightmapping in the engine.

Can you help with this problem?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2010 08:10
@ Nomad Soul,

Sent you an e-mail.

- BlackFox

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a legs script yet for V1.18? Thats something i'd love to have

defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 08:32
Question: Is modifying the screen resolution suppose to take effect also for test build games? Cause even though i develop on a wide screen laptop and i want the game to look normal on a CRT Screen.

Some cool feature if it has not yet been added, that for the test game you can also test on whatever resolution you chose.

Thanks.

Limitless Box studios current project: Lost Contact

Arseny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 19:09
Is it possible to increase the quality of dynamic shadows?
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 20:03
Dynamic shadows is a discontinued feature in FPSC V117+

There has been no confirmation a new dynamic lighting / shadow system is being considered for V118+ so I would say its unlikely at the moment.

I think the best thing that could happen for this in FPSC would be deffered rendering like Dark Goblin showcased in Cranox mod a while ago. Unfortunately there were some bugs which never got fixed but it looked fantastic.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quick question. In v117 and 118, can we attach particles to a weapon now like in horror mod? A scriptable particle attachment to a weapon would be great.

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 03:15 Edited at: 4th Nov 2010 03:25
I realized some things that would be amazing to add to v1.19 (as v1.18 is probably too far along)... Just two features:

Directional lighting

and the ability to rotate the orientation of entities in the map editor with mouse controllers like this (even the whole XYZ arrow things):

http://www.indiedb.com/games/amnesia-the-dark-descent/videos/amnesia-the-dark-descent-level-editor-timelaps#imagebox (Skip to 1:15 for what I'm talking about as I don't think the way they do segments is doable, though simply amazing if it was )

That would be amazing! (Heck if the directional lighting like later in the video is feasible, my mind has just been blown ) Please Lee, Hockeykid, and/or Knxrb hear my plea

defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 05:25
If they were to do that, they would have to either rewrite FPSC or spend months rewriting code so that, that is possible. Best to buy DBP and try do replicate it, heck i think i might get dark DGP or whatever dark basic that is and see what i can do in that!

But still use FPSC unless i make a engine

Arseny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 21:09
I returned from 1.17 to 1.15 and all of the markers turned up to entities!!
Arseny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 16:17
And dead silence ahead...
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
The markers for v1.17+ are completely new and will NOT work with any earlier versions of FPSC.
Arseny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 13:50
I see.I have alredy asked my friend(he uses fenix 1.15) the folders "_markers" and "scriptbank" and overwrited.Now it works.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to repeat my question from before, but I think it got buried:

Quote: "I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but although ragdoll was already implemented and is therefore on the 1.17 list and not the 1.18 beta list, I was wondering how much fine-tuning of ragdoll is expected to happen between 1.17 and 1.18. Specifically, I was wondering about the tendency for any dark voice characters to have their faces fall apart when killed with ragdoll. Does there seem to be a fix for this in the foreseeable future, or will it be a couple updates out? I ask this specifically because of the newer character packs that don't have non-dark voice alternatives.

Also related to ragdoll, do you think that we'll inevitably be able to have a ragdoll that is also affected by force? For example, right now, I can shoot someone point blank in the face, and they often still fall toward me, as if unaffected by my shot. I've seen this referred to as "ragdoll acceleration" in the threads. Anyway, just some thoughts."
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 20:58
@defiler: It shouldn't be harder to do than some of the new features

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 14:21
FYI

There are a few DARKAI commands that are found in the addendum for v1.17 that will not work. They are:

* allyfollow
* killally
* killenemy
* allowmove
* addzombie

A couple of them were replaced by a different command name. I'm not sure which ones exactly. However, I don't believe "addzombie" is one of them. I believe the command names were ported over from FENIX Mod originally. Just my guess.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " It shouldn't be harder to do than some of the new features"

It would in fact be pretty easy and a simple version shouldn't take more than 10 lines of code. However, remember you're limited to 8 dynamic lights by most cards.

http://jimjamsgames.yolasite.com
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 18:02
FYI

Another command that is within v1.17 that doesn't work is "weblink."

Tyguy80s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 16:04 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2010 16:05
Please visit this thread on info about the new 'migration' additions. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178109&b=21
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 22:20
With all these new features and script commands, perhaps it's time to hire someone who can focus on creating a really good user manual?

For KeithC
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 22:42 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2010 22:43
Quote: "...perhaps it's time to hire someone who can focus on creating a really good user manual?"

...yep. That'd be a very good idea.

With all the new bells and whistles being added, it'll be awfully hard to make it
perform to its full potential, if you don't know how to access the features.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 23:01 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2010 02:32
Quote: "With all these new features and script commands, perhaps it's time to hire someone who can focus on creating a really good user manual?"

Cathy and I have something that we could provide. When we started with FPSC, we noticed that the normal manual was not very "user-friendly". We then sat down and started a design for a manual that would not just benefit the existing users, but was "new-user-friendly" as well, since we design manuals for our customers. Included with the manual are screen shots, detailed descriptions, and more. At that time, we were working with FPSC v1.16. Once FPSC v1.17 came out, we then started to adjust the manual and include the changes that this version has. However, please recognize that there is a lot of information to put into a manual to cover all aspects. This project has taken a lot of time, but is worth the effort in the end.

If there is interest,we would need to know who to send it to for approval, etc.

- BlackFox

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 06:08
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of interest in more information on how things work.

More then likely if it's FPSC related that would be Lee but releasing something like that on the forums or on your web page in the mean time wouldn't hurt.
skaterdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2010 05:33
BlackFox, I'd love to give your manual a read. I know it was difficult for me to figure out how to use the water script for the v118 beta, and I know a manual would help others with similar problems. If you'd like, I'll read through it.

System: Windows 7, 2.5 Ghz Quad-Core, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4650 | My Superheroes: bond1 and Errant AI

DarthBasicVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2010 10:40
I think an advanced manual covering new issues and new features would be welcomed by all the community. If you need help let me know (anything)

Riccardo
defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 03:05
Suggestion: Add a option to have the lights cast shadows real time in the editor, would definitely allow us to know how many lights to use in a room.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 17:49 Edited at: 1st Dec 2010 17:50
I have a very good suggestion.
I attached two pics with and without tesselation.
If we could have this feature in FPSC then we could make a very higher quality games without lowering the FPS a lot.
Except using high poly models we can use this beautiful effect.
The first pic is enabled Tesselation and in the second one is disable.

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 19:38
I see no difference...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 20:07
The affect is not very dramatic but I do see a slight difference in this example. There is an improvement with it enabled.

Do you happen to have a better example?

The FPS rate might not be effected but I wonder how difficult it would be to implement within the current code?

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 21:25
As far as I know, that sort of tesselation is a DirectX11-only feature.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 21:28
Quote: "I see no difference..."

If you look at the tree on the left there is.
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 23:07
@ Roger Wilco

I believe you are correct for I have DX-11 and it is a feature... To clarify to people that doesn't know what tessellation is, It just makes models smoother and will make them higher poly so it looks nicer. As for an example look at the right of the pics The little stem swirly things are very smooth in the first but blocky in the 2nd.

Brunopark09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 05:28
The Displacement mapping is a feature of the 1.17 upgrade, but i don't know how to use it! any idea of how i can get the displacement mapping working?

SCI FI MEDIA IS NEVER ENOUGH!
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to say that tesselation just work like a 32X anti-aliasing but in a different way and just without lowering FPS a lot you'll have a very high quality game.

And if you wanna see the different just save them on your desktop or where ever else the by looking them after each other you'll see everything will be different.

I am PaYaM
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 17:20
Tesselation is by no means related to AA. It does not necessarily make them smoother, nor does it increase their poly count.

If you must compare it to something you should compare it to a relief map. Tesselation is the opposite of a relief map (basically) in that instead of giving the illusion that the texture is pressed into the model, it gives the illusion of the texture protruding OUT of the model. This can give the effect of much smoother edges, or can even be used to create spikes jutting out of the texture.

As said before, this is a DirectX11 ONLY shader effect, so to include it into FPSC would be removing the "X9" part of FPSC. Not to mention a ton of FPSC users would not be able to use it and (as we all know) not everyone on the forums understands the concept of "Your GPU can't do it".

The one and only,

Only those who sow the seeds of their desires will reap their benefits later.
However, I have seeds of my own to tend to. I don't have time to be someone else's watering can.
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plystire,Thank you for your explanation.So I will forget about it.

I am PaYaM
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 08:28
i think that since v1.18 is moving very slow, lee and whoever else could do this should create an update that changes the source code from fpsc into fpsc x10. this ways, people can move it onto a vista or 7 without having to buy x10 or wait for an update
but what about x10? you might think. x10's difference, update or source code change, is the additional media exclusive to it. it couldnt possibly be hard to create a code changing update as both programs were made with the same basic code in DBpro.

Pingas. Period.
The Unofficial Migration Suggestion Board
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166736&b=26
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
If they make X10 free then all people who bought X10 will say we want our money and it makes lots of struggles but there is a better way.
They can put another update which can work with both and wont work with one.
The new update just let the guys who have installed both X9 and X10 to have one folder for both and will manage them and just by opening one of them you can choose to test the game in X10 or X9 type.
About the shaders:As the shaders are different in X9 and X10 they can add a new line when you right click on an entity you can see two line like this:
X9Shader:----
X10Shader:----
And you can choose for both but in X9 type the first one works and the second one will disable and if you choose X10 type the second line will work and the first one will disable and if there is nothing in X10Shader line as X10 supports X9 then it automatically run the X9Shader for both X9 and X10.

And for updates you can choose the type first then you'll update the right one.
Or they can place new updates for X9 and X10 separately and together for better choose.

I am PaYaM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 19:33 Edited at: 12th Dec 2010 19:41
Quote: "I see no difference..."

Haha, awesome. You nailed it. In my opinion, tesselation is a feature that is way too late to arrive to have any major impact. It would have made a difference in the Playstation 2 era of gaming when models were super low poly and characters had blocks for heads. But nowadays most users would need to have the effect pointed out to them to even take notice. I don't really see it catching on in any big way, other than the hardcore gamers that like to brag about benchmarks.

"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
SPECS: Windows7 x64, Intel Core i7 920, Geforce GTX 580, 6GB RAM
Matto225
Years of Service
User Offline
does the BETA 2 support team death match? (am currently downloading it)
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
What about Vertical synchronization?
Most of people call it Vsync.
If someone has a high-end pc but a 45Hz monitor by going the FPS upper than 45 he will see some problems but Vsync don't let the FPS goes upper than refresh rate of a monitor.

I am PaYaM
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 23:44
@bond1:

Surely you don't mean that!

Tesselation might be the only thing that could provide spline-like smoothness to a model without killing the processor! Think of things like pipes or vines, which normally are hexagonal due to polygon limits. Using tesselation the modeller can create a perfectly round shape. The same could be said for character bodies!

The less polygon's you need to use to create that smooth shape, the more you save to use on other things in the scene.

That's the power I see coming from tesselation, unless I've severely misunderstood what it does (Which could very well be the case).

The one and only,

Only those who sow the seeds of their desires will reap their benefits later.
However, I have seeds of my own to tend to. I don't have time to be someone else's watering can.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:18:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:18:18