Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Lets all help Green Gandalf get a new PC - ends 31st March

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 00:39
@GG
Sorry for your loss. Hope things get sorted out soon.
GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
With the speeed of a striking slug I finally got round to 'doing it'. Apologies GG for being unable to organise my own life sooner.

Happy (faster) computing whatever you end up with. Means you will be able to respond to even more queries....?...

Design by Trial and eror...and errror...and errorr
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 19:08
We've had 2 new donations in the last 24 hours...

We have now collected a total of £527.23 from 33 donations

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 08:21 Edited at: 16th Mar 2009 08:26
@IanM,
I was wondering, should we just put a final date on this? I can edit the top post to say when the last date for donating is. Also, I was wondering, when this is all over, can this thread still be stickied, or, archived stickied somehow so it doesn't get lost. I think it would be nice for all who donated to have their names immortalized on this forum, to show just how great this community is. I also think once GG does get his new PC, we should change the thread title, if it is possible. Just some thoughts.

@GG
What do you think? Are you happy with the results so far? I know I could get a pretty nice pc for the amount we have so far.

@Everyone
I again want to thank everyone who donated. And I know I got a little tipsy one night and posted a bad post, and I'm sorry for that. If anyone was thinking of donating, and changed their mind because of that, don't. GG is a good guy, and I'm not. So, don't take it out on him by not donating; take it out on me by calling me names or making fun of my Rendermonkey thread or my code or anything else you can think of. I can take it, and I deserve it. So, I'm asking for the last time, if you can spare a few dollars, or pounds, please do. We are SOOOOO close to the goal.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 23:49
I have no problem with the collection going on further - the reason I suggested a stop date last week was because the donations seemed to have stopped and it didn't look like any more were going to come in.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 12:50
Quote: "I have no problem with the collection going on further "

Neither do I.

We've obviously got to stop at some point, and sooner rather than later. However, it might as well run for another couple of weeks because I am still very busy at the moment. After that I'll have more time to make a sensible decision about the final system - and to get it set up.

Quote: "@GG
What do you think? Are you happy with the results so far?"

Indeed I am.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 02:53
Now just don't go running off with all the money, IanM

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 06:06
ok. So, maybe GG should come up with an end date for this. I can edit the top post to reflect this, and maybe it will motivate others to donate before it closes. Just a thought.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 14:57
Quote: "So, maybe GG should come up with an end date for this."

Midday (British Summer Time) 31st March 2009.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 11:05
I almost dint see this thread anymore, those stickys make this thread almost invicible.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 17:13
Hi GG, just sent 30AUD to Ian's PayPal (sorry, but I was too lazy to do a proper conversion, so it will probably show up as an odd GBP amount).

Only saw this thread recently and was so moved by the show of support from others that I just couldn't pass up on being part of this unique community action.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 19:34
Quote: "so it will probably show up as an odd GBP amount"

Not until it clears I'm afraid - thanks for the donation though

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 20:05
There's no further change this week to the amount donated.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 17:26
Hey Ian wheres your paypal details? I want to donate! I haven't looked at your tutorials GG but you've helped me out in the past. So thanks and I hope you get a rally beastly system!

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 14:56 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2009 19:20
The details are on the very first page of this thread. Basically, use my email address in paypal and the money will get to me.

[EDIT]
Batvink told me about another donation made over this weekend.

The current total now stands at £550.03 from a total of 36 donations

Demon000
Years of Service
User Offline
Visigoth, Can you change the topic title so it shows the limit date or the days left?
I think it could result in a couple more donations.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 03:21
I don't think I can do that. I think only a Mod can.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:12
Just letting you know that I've donated a small amount but it might not show up for a few days! I've got my Paypal linked to my bank account so it takes a little while longer to transfer the money.
But it's on the way!

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 19:30
The current total today is £591.92 from a total of 37 donations

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 04:06
I just noticed, we have 37 donations, and 31 names on the list. I know of 1 person for sure who emailed me he wants to remain anonymous. According to my math, that leaves 5 people who have donated, who aren't on the list. So, I want to make sure you have every opportunity to be put on the list, if you want to be. If your name isn't there, and you donated, please let me know either by replying here, or by email, at mshihrer@yahoo.com
I'll make sure to correct this. And to the 37 who have donated, thanks again.
GG has promised to send a pic of him in front of his new pc, (right GG?) after he gets it. When that happens, with his permission, I would like to add it to the top post, so if and when this thread does get locked and hopefully stickied for a while, you won't have to go far to see it.

And again, thanks everyone
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 08:59
I'm glad that this has gone so well. It's been slow at times but everyone has really come together and made this happen.

We still have two days, a few extra dollars will do wonders!

Come see the WIP!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
It's nice to know we came close to our goal. I'm impressed there were this many donations as it is.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 18:56
I too am impressed with this community. It's a rare find.

Enjoy GG, you deserve every bit of it.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 21:35
Thank you. The time for a final decision approaches.
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 22:02 Edited at: 30th Mar 2009 22:08
Hey GG! I'm gonna send down some pennies for you, thoroughly deserved, and it looks like you'll be able to create some insane new shaders and be able to see them in action more prettyfully with a new rig!

I'd recommend looking at www.overclockers.co.uk (it's not an overclocking site, it's a UK based computer parts/computer everything site) and whilst I've not had a look at the previously suggested computer, I do order everything I need off of overclockers, mainly because they've got some of the cheapest stuff in the UK, they'll advise you in a personal manner if you've got any questions and their pre-built systems are pretty ace. Plus they do next day delivery, for when you really just can't wait for your brand spanking new hardware to arrive

Edit: Just sent you £10 via Ian's paypal

All the best GG!
Phil - Terrorist Zero

AMD X2 6400+ (3.2GHz) // K9A2 Platinum 790FX Mobo // 2GB Corsair RAM 1066MHz // Powercolor HD4870 512MB OC'ed
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 19:27
Ok, we're now closed for any further donations.

The grand total for the collection is £603.32
That came from 38 very generous donations - thank you to everyone to did donate.

@GG,
I'll email you so that we can work out how to get the money to you.

@BatVink,
I'll email you so that we can work out how to get the money to me.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 21:26
Enjoy it GG.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:00
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your donations and kind words. I certainly hope to put the new machine to good use.

High on my list of projects is a decent set of shader demos and tutorials. At the moment the information is scattered all over the place and the main shader thread, Learning to Write Shaders, is getting rather unwieldy for casual browsing or learning.

As far as the new PC is concerned, I'm planning to finalise the details on Friday 3 April (it will be based on Mistrel's suggestions from a few weeks ago). I'll then post my proposed system on this thread for people to comment on. Then early next week I'll place the final order after making any changes people think are essential.

I should see a big difference in performance (e.g. current system: Pentium 3, 930 MHz, 256 RAM, 20 GB hard drive, 128MB GFX card).

At the moment I can't even load several people's demos. So they at least should benefit.
Nightmare Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Good on you, GG! I personally look forward to seeing some well organised tuts for shaders!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 00:55
Good!
I got awesome quad core PC without OS for 600euros =)
(dint even have to build, it was amazing cheap)

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 20:12
Hi Everyone!

Quote: "As far as the new PC is concerned, I'm planning to finalise the details on Friday 3 April"

Where does the time go?

Finally found time to delve into this and it looks like I'm going for the following options chosen on this link:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/gamer_infinity_600/detail

It closely follows Mistrel's suggestions a few weeks ago.

I'd welcome any suggestions or comments on this over the next few days - and then I can order it.

(I've included a few queries of my own which I'll ask the company about before I order if still necessary.)
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 21:04
Looks nice and powerful to me

Mnemonix
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:16 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 00:18
The GPU is brothering me, especially if you are gonna develop shaders you should get either Nvidia or Ati, if you want more OpenGL support then nVidia (GLSL shaders). The other parts looks pretty well tho. But i think you can do better for CPU and GPU.

Personally, i can donate you even more if you can get nice HDR on GLSL

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:27
Can you explain what you mean?

- The GPU is nvidia - There's only one current GPU that's more advanced than the GTX285.

- The E8600 is a pretty good desktop processor. Jumping to a higher model would require a large jump in price to go with it.

I think it's a pretty good spec for the price.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:41
BFG make the card. NVidia make the GPU.

My card has a Geforce 6200 and its made by PNY Technology

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 01:00 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 01:09
Quote: "Monitor & LCD: 19" Wide TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor "

as far as value is concerned, and your (extra) interest in graphics, as well, i'd seriously consider upping to the 22" monitor to carry you through the (near) future. definitely worth the extra £27.

here's a recent thread on GC discussing 22" monitors...

also, the OS you've provided in the code box differs from that linked to the gamer infinity system (as well as some other specs). i'd definitely go with Vista over XP at this point... there will be some growing pains as you get used to the newer OS but (in my experience) the "learning curve" is shorter than past windows migrations and, to me, upgrades mean catching up and preparing for the future. the fact is, your old system was a couple generations behind. i know whatever you get will be an upgrade, in comparison, but relative to the rest of the world, i'd get "current" now which will allow you to stay "current enough" a while longer. hope that makes sense

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 01:57
Quote: "i'd seriously consider upping to the 22" monitor to carry you through the (near) future. definitely worth the extra £27."

I am.

Quote: "also, the OS you've provided in the code box differs from that linked to the gamer infinity system "

That's probably my main concern. It's a waste of a PS4 capable GPU to have only a PS3 capable OS. I've hesitated going down the Vista route because of all the bad experiences I've seen reported - that and the reports that MS might be coming up with something better.

I do have a tendency to cling to the past like a barnacle to a ship's bottom - you should hear what my wife says about my car.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 02:10
Quote: "I do have a tendency to cling to the past like a barnacle to a ship's bottom "

understood. completely. i'd still be on windows 95 if i could... well, i take that back. i'd be on my amiga 1200!

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 14:35
Quote: "I do have a tendency to cling to the past like a barnacle to a ship's bottom - you should hear what my wife says about my car."

Same here, and I don't even have a wife, and am not legally aloud one. But that's beside the point.
I personally think you should go with vista until Windows 7 is officially released to public, I don't find it bad at all really.
And you can use DirectX 10 which is a plus. And it blends seamlessly into Win7. No backing up really unless you want to be really cautious.
Good luck with your new PC Green Gandalf.

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 16:36
Quote: "Can you explain what you mean?

- The GPU is nvidia - There's only one current GPU that's more advanced than the GTX285.

- The E8600 is a pretty good desktop processor. Jumping to a higher model would require a large jump in price to go with it.

I think it's a pretty good spec for the price."

Sorry, i tought the GPU was some intel card, and yeh the CPU is good for that kind of card price =) (I googled that card and it just showed intel)

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 16:59
Quote: "Sorry, i tought the GPU was some intel card"

Would be quite interesting as Intel don't make cards.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 17:50
Vista = BAD

In order to get the full potential from the 4GB of RAM you probably want to go with 64bit XP though. Otherwise you are limited to 3GB.

Not that it matters a lot, but any reason for XP Home over XP Pro?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 18:54
Quote: "I've hesitated going down the Vista route because of all the bad experiences I've seen reported - that and the reports that MS might be coming up with something better. "

At some point, Vista comes with free upgrade to Windows 7. It might already be here.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 19:01
Thanks for the comments - keep them coming.

Looks like two changes are emerging:

1. Go for a larger screen (19" to 22").
2. Stick with the default Vista OS.

Anything else?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 19:01
Quote: "At some point, Vista comes with free upgrade to Windows 7. It might already be here."

Apparently you have to have purchased the computer after a certain date - July 1st I believe. Also, this doesn't apply to all manufacturers.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 19:07
Quote: "Would be quite interesting as Intel don't make cards."

Actually they do, crappy ones tho (Not sure if they are builtin to motherboard)

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 22:17
Definitely get Vista, if you are going to get Win 7 it is going to be cheaper to upgrade from Vista. I have Vista and it is fine.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Nathaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 22:33 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 22:34
Well, first let me congratulate GG on this success; it is well deserved.

Now, to address the PC setup listed earlier, here are a few suggestions:

1) Moving from 320 GB to 500 GB is $9, which isn't much comparitevely speaking for > 50% increase.

2) Moving from 19" to 22" LCD. The extra width is really nice. I don't per-se like their selection, but it works. Outside of acquiring an Apple Cinema display, anything will work fine.

3) Move from Default Case Fan to Maximum Case Fans. People complain that my PC is over-cooled, but I've never had a hardware failure like most one fan'ers.

4) Go Vista; I am an XP die-hard, but I'm sorry I can't utilize the DirectX 10 capabilities of my GeForce. Plus, XP x64 doesn't really do much for you, since most applications don't take advantage of your extra RAM. I have XP x32 and x64 dual-boot as reference.

5) Finally, I realize that nothing can be done about it, but the motherboard selections they have are atrocious.

In the end, whatever you end up selecting I hope it serves you well and again, I'm really glad you got it.

Sincerely,
Nathaniel

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 23:29
Just chiming in, I also recommend Vista.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 00:04
Quote: "1) Moving from 320 GB to 500 GB is $9, which isn't much comparitevely speaking for > 50% increase."

That's why I chose 500 GB.

Quote: "3) Move from Default Case Fan to Maximum Case Fans. People complain that my PC is over-cooled, but I've never had a hardware failure like most one fan'ers."

It's one of those things where you'd like to see/hear it in action before you buy. My first PC - a Dan - was quiet as a mouse. My next one was, to quote Mistrel, "a vacuum cleaner". The one I'm using now (nearly 8 years old!) is OK noisewise and the only hardware failure was caused by a massive thunderstorm during the first three months. I haven't a clue how many fans it has - all I know is that it has an nVidia FX 5200 GFX card which has served me well (that's been the only upgrade - prompted by joining this forum a few years back ).

Quote: "4) Go Vista; I am an XP die-hard, but I'm sorry I can't utilize the DirectX 10 capabilities of my GeForce. Plus, XP x64 doesn't really do much for you, since most applications don't take advantage of your extra RAM. I have XP x32 and x64 dual-boot as reference."

Yes, I'm thinking along those lines now too. Thanks.

Quote: "5) Finally, I realize that nothing can be done about it, but the motherboard selections they have are atrocious."

They are a complete mystery to me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:54:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:54:46