Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Lets all help Green Gandalf get a new PC - ends 31st March

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 00:18
I understand this is a pre-built system, but if you built it yourself (or know someone to build it for you) you could get the e5200, safely overclock it to 3.2GHz or better, get roughly the same performance and save $100 on the CPU alone.

Looking for the vortex to another Earth
Nathaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 01:54
Quote: " That's why I chose 500 GB. "
See, great minds think alike. lol

My PC is the between
Quote: " quiet as a mouse"
and
Quote: " "a vacuum cleaner" "
, it's just a preference issue; being that half the PC's I've worked on for friends/family had heat issues I er on the side of fans.

Quote: " Yes, I'm thinking along those lines now too. Thanks. "
And again with the great minds? In reality, having an x64 version of XP or Vista is nice in the sense that Windows can bypass the 2.5 GB marker, thus when you're playing an intensive game Windows won't be a nuisance. However, downside like with XP x64 is the lack of 16-Bit emulation; not too important unless you go retro. I'd almost say go Vista x64, and then dual-boot XP x32. Gives you backwards compatibility, without sacrificing your screaming hardware to outdated software.

Quote: " They are a complete mystery to me. "
That's okay. I build my own gaming PC's so I tend to be a hardware nut; the motherboards will suffice for what you need, I'm just being snobby. lol

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 02:13
Quote: "the motherboards will suffice for what you need,"

That's what I like to hear.

What wouldn't they be sufficient for?

Controlling a blast furnace, perhaps?
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 03:56
I've read that DBPro/GDK have had a lot of problems running on Vista, so for that reason alone I would go XP. Actually, if it weren't so damn expensive and if DBPro/GDK worked on it I'd say go Mac, it's much better than windows. Unfortunately, DX is better than OpenGL, so TGC would be ill advised to switch to it.

It's actually kind of a silly time to buy a new computer, with Windows 7 and DX 11 just around the corner. Personally, I'm waiting to buy a new computer until the new windows has been out for a year or so. But since all the money is available to you right now, I guess it's advisable for you to get one now.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 04:02
Quote: "Actually they do, crappy ones tho (Not sure if they are builtin to motherboard)"

Indeed, they make integrated graphics chipsets. As for them being crap, well they aren't designed for games generally...

Quote: "I've read that DBPro/GDK have had a lot of problems running on Vista"

I think that's even more reason to get Vista (assuming you meant applications made in DBPro/GDK), to know the issues others might have.

Quote: "It's actually kind of a silly time to buy a new computer, with Windows 7 and DX 11 just around the corner."

I don't think Green Gandalf could possibly wait that much longer.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 12:35
Quote: "I think that's even more reason to get Vista (assuming you meant applications made in DBPro/GDK), to know the issues others might have."

A mixed blessing I suppose.

Quote: "I don't think Green Gandalf could possibly wait that much longer."

Indeed - and not just me. There are several people I couldn't help, merely because their demos wouldn't run on my machine.

Quote: "But since all the money is available to you right now, I guess it's advisable for you to get one now."

Yes.
coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 19:25
I would definitely recommend vista. I run it on my 1gb ram computer just fine. And dbpro works just fine on vista. You just have to change the permissions on the C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\ directory so that a standard user can have write access to it.
Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 03:35
use usb
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 16:07
What about a XP/Vista dualboot? I have a genuine XP OEM disc with about 350 activations left over.

It's great living next door to a system builder. ^^

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure how much the monitor was but check out aria at the min £79.99 - 22 inch.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 03:09 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 03:10
somewhat on-topic: i don't "read up" on much but i've been "hearing" about people booting vista or xp from a flash drive. is this practical?

Simfan147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 03:20
I don't know about that but I can boot Mac 7 on a flash drive.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 04:11
Not really. It would take forever to load, even on a USB2.0 flash drive.

Orion1024
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 04:42
That would most likely be a super stripped down OS install just for diagnostics & utilities...not a full install like your accustomed to. I tried installing Windows 2000 on a 133X compact flash card with an IDE adapter and it took FOR-EV-ER. A flash drive is going to be even slower.

Looking for the vortex to another Earth
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 01:00
OK. The deed is done.

I opted for the 22" monitor, Vista 64bit, and higher power supply (recommended by the company because of the GFX card plus some extra to cover possible upgrades). A couple of minor things were changed as well: no wireless network card (not necessary because the PC is next to the hub), no special mouse mat.

Now the waiting before the fun starts.

Expect a few "I can't get this working in Vista" posts.

One problem springs to mind already - what to do if you've lost your DBPro activation key and didn't buy it from this site?
coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 01:06
Just copy the certificates folder in the compiler directory of dbpro. Also, you can activate dbpro from the cd I believe.
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 01:07 Edited at: 15th Apr 2009 01:08
EDIT: whoops didn't see there was another page. Never mind.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
Nathaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 04:13
GG, if you follow the Vista instructions on the main DBP forum page, you should be fine. Those are pretty much standard operating procedure for applications such as DBP in Vista. I only have access to Vista 32 currently, but if you have questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail at nathaniel_hatten@hotmail.com if need be.

-N.

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 14:48
Quote: "but if you have questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail at nathaniel_hatten@hotmail.com if need be"

I certainly will. Thanks.

The big issues for me at the moment are:

1. Have I just purchased a fancy vacuum cleaner/dust blower?
2. Will the new system blow all the fuses in the house?
3. What shall I do with my old PC? I can't bring myself to throw it away after all it's done for me.

Oh, yes, must not forget the photos for Visigoth.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 00:16
Quote: "What shall I do with my old PC?"

Stick it in a corner with a wireless network card and a big hard-drive and use it for file storage.

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 05:25
@GG
I'm not the only one who wants to see the new pc. I'm pretty sure everyone does. I'm so glad this worked out for you. Just wait till you see your new framerates. Gonna be unbelievable!
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not the only one who wants to see the new pc"

Yeah, sure... You really really deserve this...

Let the fun begin
Cheers,
-Try
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi GG
I understand keeping your old PC.
I did the same I use a Belkin KVM (keyboard, Video, mouse) switcher. (model F1DG102U ) this model also passes through the Audio..( aprox £30 at Amazon)( this is for my wireless Keyboard/mouse using USB ) may be other model for wired Keyboard/Mouse.
It is easy to setup and I just press this remote round button module and I switch between the 2 base units both using 1 monitor , keyboard and mouse... you never loose any of your old stuff.
Old PC {XP} new PC {Vista}
even network them together to copy over anything you need..
I would be lost with out it...
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 02:07
@GG -
I just upgraded but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of any functional computers. I wiped them clean then put Firefox and Office on them and nothing else. They run great. I mean, everybody I know only uses the computer for Internet and Microsoft Word. The only computer games they play are Flash games. There's no reason to ever upgrade those systems and you can stick them anywhere you want for Internet terminals. A computer in the kitchen is great.

So, I never demote my computer to the pasture, to dryly suffocate away as a strange monstrous memory stick with a screen and lots of spyware droppings and takes 10 minutes to turn on. Instead everybody gets to have reasonably fast Internet in increasingly absurd places. Get cute little matching LCD screens to really add to the effect.

Come see the WIP!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 15:12
Yes that's what I shall probably do - but these things do take up a fair bit of space which is at a premium here.

Of course I could always put it in the garden shed for my wife to use...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 17:53
You never know when you might have to look up just what kind of mushroom that is popping up in the middle of the garden.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 03:26
I'm glad you opted for a larger Power Supply! It's often the most overlooked part, and is probably one of the most important!
Hope you enjoy your new beast!

Quote: "Also, you can activate dbpro from the cd I believe."

Rubbish! I've got the CD version and I've never been able to activate it from the CD!

Quote: "Instead everybody gets to have reasonably fast Internet in increasingly absurd places"
God I've got awful images entering my mind...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 14:24
Still waiting.

Hope to hear something next week - will chase things up tomorrow.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 08:00 Edited at: 24th Apr 2009 08:00
Quote: "1. Have I just purchased a fancy vacuum cleaner/dust blower?"

I believe I specified a passive cpu cooler with the specifications I listed. There should only be the case fan (usually a large fan with low rpms) and the video card fan.

If the system is still too loud you can try replacing the case fan with something from SilenX.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 13:19
Yo GG, get a wireless keyboard and mouse a nice light (not heavy) monitor LCD is good.. then place the old comp under the bed (nobody will see it) the monitor on the bedside table. this way you can use the old comp as a interactive nightlight. you can even dump all your collections of photographs on the HD and turn it into a dynamic slideshow.. save the space now being taken by the 1000's of pictures in the frames placed all through the house.

so many ideas.. so little time. I'm sure you'll make good use of the old trooper.

Cheers!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 13:33
Erect it in the back yard as a monument!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 22:43
Quote: "Yo GG, get a wireless keyboard and mouse a nice light (not heavy) monitor LCD is good.. then place the old comp under the bed (nobody will see it) the monitor on the bedside table. this way you can use the old comp as a interactive nightlight."

My wife is already alarmed by the fact that our new wireless set up means that I can use the laptop in bed to see if anyone has responded to my latest post.

I dare not comment on Cash's suggestion that

Quote: "Instead everybody gets to have reasonably fast Internet in increasingly absurd places."

For increasingly absurd purposes perhaps?

Quote: "Hope you enjoy your new beast!"

So do I!

Rang to find out what was happening today and was sabotaged by the fact that our telepohone line has decided to be faulty so I can't hear what the person on the other end of the line is saying. A helpful young lady from the company later left me a message telling me how things were going (I think ) - but I couldn't make out any of it, her speech was continually interspersed with assorted clicks and screeches. I'm assuming it was good news - rather than informing me that it would be another week because someone accidentally stepped on th GFX card.

The internet seems to be working fine - it's just speech phone transmission that seems to be affected. The symptoms are reminiscent of "acoustic shock" that sometimes happened in the "good old days".
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 18:47
It's up and running!

I'll spare you most of the embarrassing details - except to mention that everything works MUCH better if you remember to plug in the main power cable.

Pics to follow - when I've worked out how to get them on to this beast.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 01:19
Great news!

I suggest you head over to nVidia and download some demos. The Cascades one, were you click to make waterfalls is particularly nice.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 01:35
Quote: "remember to plug in the main power cable"

I think all of us can say we've done somthing like that before.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:03 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 02:04
Hi Chris,

I'm still absolutely stunned by this.

Progress so far:

1. Finally managed to install the hardware when I realised everything needed power (it's a sad story, but only discovered what the problem was when I realised I had four power sockets, four plugs BUT five separate items needing power. I'd forgotten the base unit ...

2. Got the wireless network working including my old PC (the latter thanks to my wife who noticed that I'd entered something other than the "Network Key" as the "Wireless Key", in duplicate of course ).

3. Decided to have a clean install of everything on the Dark Game Studio disk - which included a link to a one and half hour download of Visual Studio with lots of stuff I'll never need (no need to worry yet, but guess what I'll be uninstalling first ).

4. Activated DBPro - everything worked perfectly first time. So a big thanks to those who said DBPro works fine with Vista - it does.

Here's a screenshot of one of my shaders in action. I can't believe the FPS:

Photos and more screenshots when I've recovered from the initial shock.

Quote: "I suggest you head over to nVidia and download some demos."

I will. Big problem at the moment is the distance of the BT exchange from our house - hence slow Broadband. Perhaps I need another collection to pay for a closer exchange.

The big surprise to me was that the new setup worked first time with NO problems - with a new (to me) operating system. The only significant problem was getting the wireless network to recognise my old PC - and I suspect that was down to impatience on my part because I'd placed it in, to quote CC2, "in increasingly absurd places".

In my naivity I'd expected a new state of the art system to be small. The screen, certainly, has shrunk (NOT the visible screen area I should add) - but the base unit is built like a Panzer (but is much quieter than a vacuum cleaner in case Mistrel is reading this ).

I can't thank Visigoth enough for starting this - or Cash Curtis II for kick-starting the collection. And thank you everyone else for contributing to this, especially Scraggle who suggested a company who might deliver the goods (they have ) and Mistrel whose initial spec was an excellent guide. It really is enormously appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:50
glad your enjoying your new beast!
now about some shaders.....lol

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 23:13
Quote: "now about some shaders"

Don't worry, they will come.

There will be a delay for various reasons - I'm still deciding what to copy over to the new machine and what to install, etc, and am also busy with other things right now.

However, my aim is to produce a pack with lots of shader demos. Some of my shader demos are very old and have bugs in (e.g. the one spotted by Morcilla recently) and others are very untidy. Don't expect much before June at the earliest though. But they will arrive...
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 02:04
Quote: "and am also busy with other things right now"

wouldn't be Call Of Duty or Crysis or something?

haha, just messing with ya!
have some fun with your new rig.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 03:19
Quote: "Quote: "now about some shaders"

Don't worry, they will come. "

Sorry should have clarified that was a joke! lol as some you know I'm not even up to that level yet!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 12:02
Quote: "have some fun with your new rig"

I am - just sitting back and watching the frame rates is enough for now.

Quote: "Sorry should have clarified that was a joke!"

I thought it was a good opportunity to keep everyone in the picture - and I still haven't uploaded those photos for Visigoth who is no doubt waiting anxiously.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:36
I remember when I put a new graphics card in my computer (Nvidia Geforce 8500GT, it was a while ago). Everything sped up about 20 times, and it was awesome. I remember playing Oblivion, and the FPS shot up from about 10-15 to about 50-60. You should enjoy experiences like that while you can, 'cause your hardware will be out of date in a month or two, like mine is now.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:44
You don't need a 8500GT to 60FPS Oblivion! ^^
Any middle grade 6 or 7 series will obliterate it.

Anyway, enjoy, Green Gandalf.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:03
Yeah, but before that I was using some crappy Intel card, and the 8500 was the best card I could get on my budget at the time.

Anyway... Enjoy your new computer, Green Gandalf! I've never posted anything about shaders anywhere on this forum (yet), but I've read your posts before and they've helped me alot, so thanks! I would've probably donated a little, but by the time I read this thread it was too late. Ah well.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice! Good to see you enjoy your new PC! Yeah, Visual Studio takes forever to download. For those massive downloads, you should connect it to a landline instead of wireless to help things a lot a little better.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Current Project: http://strewnfield.wordpress.com/ (Last updated 05/06/09)
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 23:25
Quote: "For those massive downloads, you should connect it to a landline instead of wireless to help things a lot a little better."

Moving into a town would help too - we are 8.5 Km from the telephone exchange.

[The new PC is hard-wired into the hub - it's the others, such as my wife's, that use wireless.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:26:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:26:37