Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Full XBox 360 Controller DLL with Voice support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 23:37
Ah, very nice, this saves me some time programming xbox 360 controller functionality myself.

Would you mind if I used it in some XenoPhysics demos?

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 02:48
Hi Xarshi, yeah the XInput functionality is pretty simple to program with. This library is free to use under a simple license. I would be honored if you used this in your demos. I definitely have my eye on XenoPhysics!

@ Everyone,

This library is licensed under the creative commons license, Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported. A link to that license is provided in the first post of this thread and in the documentation.

So basically, it's Free to use with your commercial/non-commercial programs and I only ask for acknowledgment of using this library by me. Sort of like the old "CreditWare" type of thing.

ExoDev.Com |XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY|USE DARK GDK WITH LATEST DIRECTX| C2Q2.66, 8G RAM, GeFORCE 9800 X2, VISTA 64Bit
The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 03:49 Edited at: 14th Jun 2010 03:54
Hey Todd,

Yeah, whether the controller is connected or not, I still achieve ~60 fps. With Raven's I get ~70, though I use to get high values like 400. I normally get decent speeds. I'm running on my laptop (realizing that it is slower than desktops), but, it's has a radeon 3600 i think. It's a 32-bit Vista OS, and 2 gig processor. 3 gig ram. So, it's about 2 or 3 years old.

Also, whether i'm in windowed or fullscreen, it still runs about the same. Also, I use to have it in 1024 x 768, but tried 800 x 600, and still had the same rate, though some settings brought it down to about 50 fps. The standard PC controller I have runs using standard DBPro commands at high speeds.

I love the plugin, just wish I could get it to go fast enough to use in the game i'm working on. Probably has been the one drawback as to why I haven't used Raven's. This one has more valuable options, which I find useful, though running slow ... by the looks of it... it's more of a Xinput thing than the plugin... which is dissapointing... though... Great work on it!

EDIT: And yes... I removed the Poll, and it runs fast, so, the whole FPS drop comes from that... so maybe I can do something to fix this... though, my game is set for 2 players, so i already alternate between two controllers, and 2 screens in turn... so, any more, and it may cause a noticeable jitter/lag in the screen.

www.myspace.com/norseblod
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 04:12 Edited at: 14th Jun 2010 04:13
Quote: "Yeah, whether the controller is connected or not, I still achieve ~60 fps."

Quote: "And yes... I removed the Poll, and it runs fast, so, the whole FPS drop comes from that..."

That is what gets me. When there is no XBox controller connected to the pc then the XInput has nothing to process even though it does simply checks to see if a controller and a headset is there or not with poll mode 2.

Have you tried poll mode 0 on the XB360 Poll command?

Mode 0 will not check for connection of the controllers and headset so the program assumes that they are connected. When I just tried it without any xbox controllers connected, my fps sored up to around 2000 fps instead of the 900 fps. That shows that the checking for controllers takes some cpu time too. try mode 0.

ExoDev.Com |XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY|USE DARK GDK WITH LATEST DIRECTX| C2Q2.66, 8G RAM, GeFORCE 9800 X2, VISTA 64Bit
The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 05:21
Hey Todd,

Thanks, that helped improve it quite a bit. I have it checking every 10 repeats, and also polling 0. For the split screen, I am getting ~130 fps now, and ~230 for the single player, which is quite a lot better than the 50 to 60... THANKS!

www.myspace.com/norseblod
PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 12:30
Anyone tested this with a headset? I tried my roomate's new one that came with his new 360 slim or whatever it is. Both the speaker and the mic work in windows but I could not get your dll to recognize that it was there.

Here's my code:

it tells me that the controller is connected, does not have a headset, and has voice support.

It is a wireless controller btw.

It is 4:30 in the morning so I might just be doing something wrong.
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 08:11 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 08:34
Hi PEH,

Does the included example program that comes with the library also say your headset is not connected?

Is your headset plugged into the controller or is your headset wireless too? I have to ask it, if you have a wireless headset... is it on, is the volume up? I'm sure it is.

Your above program crashes on me. Looks like you are trying to press the A button to allow talking, B button to disallow talking and press X to actaully talk through the headset. Constantly hitting the A button and the X button made it crash.

You need to call XB360 Stop Audio right before XB360 Start Audio. This allows the internal audio values to properly reinitialize itself.

Also, XB360 Play Audio is meant to be called after a success of checking for new sound data.

This code works for me:

To the point, My wired headset that connects to a wired controller works as expected. XB360 Headset Connected returns a 1 for me. These values are reflected directly from what the XInput.dll reports.

I'm thinking you have a wireless headset which may be the problem with the Microsoft's XInput.dll itself ( * Could be ... just guessing at the moment... ). Make sure your headset is on before starting your program and also try calling XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS before the main loop.

At the moment, I'm clueless to any other possibilities on why it wont work for you. I'll see if I can dig anything up.

---------------------

EDIT: cleaned up the code. Took out playing audio via the dpad

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 12:49 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 12:50
Thank you for the corrections. Like I said is was 4:30 in the morning. (it is 4:30 again right now )
Also I had no clue how the audio commands worked because they didn't work at all for me.

How would one go about playing the sound on the pc's speakers? Or a sound file on the headset? is it possible?

Copying your code didn't change anything and the program that came with your dll also did not show that the headset was connected.

It is a wireless controller but a wired headset and yes it is on.

Interestingly when I call XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS before the main loop I get the error in the pic that I have attached. I have a feeling that it has something to do with why it is not working.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 16:31 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 17:39
Quote: "Interestingly when I call XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS before the main loop I get the error"

Doh! Will fix that.

Quote: "and the program that came with your dll also did not show that the headset was connected."

And you couldn't hear yourself talk into the headset mic with the included library example also?

Did you try XB360 Poll 2 ?

Quote: "It is a wireless controller but a wired headset and yes it is on."

There's no special way for me to test for that. Following the XInput.dll documentation and code, it should not matter if the one is using a wireless or wired controller/headset. The XInput.dll uses it's function XInputGetDSoundAudioDeviceGuids to automagically detect whats connected and returns GUID values for me to retrieve audio from. I'll continue and see if I can google anything about wireless controller/headset problems using XInput.

What version of DirectX 9 do you currently have?

Quote: "How would one go about playing the sound on the pc's speakers? Or a sound file on the headset? is it possible? "

The code for that is in the included library example code.
* not sure about playing a sound file through the headset though. That may be possible through a bunch of C++ and DirectSound8 code which is beyond scope for this library.

----

* DBPro Version 1.2a is uploaded and can be found on first post. XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS should work now. PEH, when running your program, try calling this command when you know your wireless controller is returning values to your program.

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2010 00:54 Edited at: 16th Jul 2010 01:03
Quote: "And you couldn't hear yourself talk into the headset mic with the included library example also?"

No I couldn't although windows was reading the mic just fine.

Quote: "Did you try XB360 Poll 2 ?"

Yes, same result

Quote: "What version of DirectX 9 do you currently have?"

I ran the web updater found here
Installing 3dmark to check for sure. I should have the latest dx9 and 11.
Edit: Nevermind, can't find my key I got it free with me gfx card. Its around here somewhere.

Quote: "
* DBPro Version 1.2a is uploaded and can be found on first post. XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS should work now. PEH, when running your program, try calling this command when you know your wireless controller is returning values to your program."

not sure what that command is supposed to do but adding it right before the main loop didn't change anything.

Are there different 360 controller software versions? Or does it only rely on xinput which updates with directx?
kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
This plugin is awesome!!!!!

Also I never knew treads could be unlocked.

Dell Optiplex GX280, 3.4 GHZ Pentium 4 processor
1.5 Gig DDR2 ram, Geforce 8500 GT 512mb
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2010 13:13 Edited at: 16th Jul 2010 13:15
Quote: "I ran the web updater found here"

You should be good with the latest DX then.

Quote: "not sure what that command is supposed to do but adding it right before the main loop didn't change anything."

XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS simply rechecks for any headset connections. Good when you use a polling method that doesn't check for headset connections like XB360 Poll 0. It's meant to be used during program operation when the user knows connections should be connected, calling XB360 CHECK HEADSET CONNECTIONS via some user input (aka: gui menu button, etc...). Then, where ever your program checks for headset connection, it will then properly see if the connection is available or not. So this command is not needed when your polling method actaully checks for connections itself. I just wanted to see if that helped you or not. Unfortunately not.

Because I'm flat broke, I'm not able to go out and buy a wireless adapter thing for my PC. So I can't test with my wireless controller / wired headset setup. I'm beside myself now about this problem and can't find anything on the internet that relates to this problem. So I can't tell if I'm actaully doing something wrong or if there really is an issue with wireless controllers. But still looking...

Quote: "Are there different 360 controller software versions? Or does it only rely on xinput which updates with directx? "

Well Microsoft supplies the latest driver update for the XB360 controller through the Windows Update. XInput communicates with this XB360 Controller driver. So hopefully, the first time your windows OS saw your XB360 controller connected to it, it would of downloaded the latest driver for it. XInput comes with with DirectX. So, XInput will get improved on now and then when new DirectX versions come out. That's why I wanted to make sure you had the latest DirectX 9. Sounds like you do.

Quote: "This plugin is awesome!!!!!

Also I never knew treads could be unlocked."

Thanks kordman916!
Yeah, if one of your threads ever gets locked just ask a moderator to unlock it for you if you need to update it and let people respond to it.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 02:09 Edited at: 20th Aug 2010 02:10
* Calling all wireless xbox360 gamepad users that are able to use their wireless gamepad on their PC.

If anybody else exists out there that can do this, if you can and have time, please confirm that you can or cannot hear sound through your headset when talking with your wireless gamepad using the example provided with the library??

As I'm also on a budget in these hard times too, I'm trying to convince myself if it's worth it for me to order a wireless XBox360 receiver for the PC. I would like to get one before I ask microsoft themselves about what the problem that PEH, above, has had with not hearing anything through the headset using a wireless controller. Since I'm unable to find/google anything about the same issue on the internet, I have no idea if I need to do something special in that situation or what.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help out.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 05:10 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 05:17
Todd, I have an Xbox 360 Chatpad... It's from Microsoft and a keyboard that connects to the controller.

Is there functionality for that in your lib? If so, that would SO simplify entering names and other data into a high scores list or for any RPG or FPS where you get to name/rename characters and/or inscribe "runes" or "power words" or "weapon names" onto your special/hard-to-find weapons/things/stuff...

I'd SO use that kind of functionality! It plugs into the headset port of the controller, and the headset plugs into it. It's so much easier to use than the on-screen keyboard or a full-size keyboard with the tiny space I have to work with... >_<

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 06:55
Hi Anitarquious I

Currently no. I'll get my fingers coding it in asap!

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 11:45 Edited at: 6th Sep 2010 06:00
Beta DLL released! Added XInput Keystroke functionality for devices like the XB360 ChatPad.

Ok, This was a bit more envolved then I thought it would be. This should work. As always, the values returned are directly from the XInput commands themself.

The XInput Keystroke functionality returns Virtual Key values to see what has been pressed( ie: using the XB360 GET KEYSTROKE VIRTUAL KEY command ). This actaully works on the gamepad too. Also, I have included all these virtual values as constants in the Example1 code.

The HID Code, as the SDK explains, if for future devices that would return other type of values( ie: using the XB360 GET KEYSTROKE HID CODE command ). Just thought I would include a function to return the HID code just in case.

The flags returned by the XInput Keystroke structure indicate the keyboard state at the time of the input event( ie: using the XB360 GET KEYSTROKE FLAGS command ). The docs say they can be of any combination of this:
XINPUT_KEYSTROKE_KEYDOWN - The key was pressed.
XINPUT_KEYSTROKE_KEYUP - The key was released.
XINPUT_KEYSTROKE_REPEAT - A repeat of a held key.
I have provided these constants in the Example1 code. Good luck with this. Looks confusing to deal with.

* The above related commands have an index parameter where you need to provide what controller ID you want info from.

* The XB360 KEYSTROKE ON and XB360 KEYSTROKE OFF commands allow you to control if you want the library to fetch keystroke data or not. With it off, I would figure that it would save some ms performance. Default is off.

* Since I don't have a ChatPad, I can't really play around with this. I do know you will have to create your own input system around this. IE: You will have to check what virtual key has been pressed and then print the character equivalent for the key. You also will have to detect shifts, ctrl keys and alt keys. For example, You have to detect both pressing of the 2 key and the shift key to print out the @ sign.

* Good luck!

Download file contains:
Example1.dba - Updated to show Keystroke data
XB360C0810B.dll - Beta library
XB360C.ini - Added new commands:

XB360 KEYSTROKE ON==
XB360 KEYSTROKE OFF==
XB360 GET KEYSTROKE FLAGS==(Integer 0-3),Returns: DWORD
XB360 GET KEYSTROKE HID CODE==(Integer 0-3),Returns: DWORD
XB360 GET KEYSTROKE VIRTUAL KEY==(Integer 0-3),Returns: DWORD

Edit: Beta 1.3 no longer available

ExoDev.Com - A Game Development Community Website! Featuring: XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2010 00:21
Thanks Todd!
I can't wait to test this!!!!!

The way it works is there's a Green Square button and an Orange Circle button for the Green and Orange alternate characters, one per key (except the numbers 0-9). There's also a Shift/Caps key that's activated (Caps) Orange.

There are only 47 keys, including Cursor Left, Cursor Right, Space (of course...), a Backspace key, Enter and a MS Chat Key. These are also Non-Alternate (Orange or Green) keys.

Thanks again, Todd! ^_^

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 10:26
np Anitarquious I

Looking forward to see if it works for you

ExoDev.Com - A Game Development Community Website! Featuring: XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 16:40 Edited at: 29th Aug 2010 16:43
Your new example program works great for everything else but the Chatpad. I've had it (always) connected to my primary wireless controller and it does not even register.

Nothing I press on the Chatpad registers... Not even a keystate...
Not even if it the CPad's connected. I installed the stuff correctly, and Rebuilt Keywords for the syntax error I was getting. O.o Even after all that, it still does not work for the CPad.

Every now and then the Player 4 LED will come on, like the program is polling the controllers, even after the program has been shut down. Not sure why this is happening.

This is the layout of the Chatpad, below.

I hope this is a little better description. I think you had the right idea, but there's not much I could find on the way to poll the CPad either, and probably would have created the same program example you did.

Here's a good pic of the Xbox 360 Chatpad.
http://misterrandom.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/chatpad.jpg

I hope that helps.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 18:35 Edited at: 29th Aug 2010 19:40
Thanks for trying it out. My first guess it could have something to do with the gamepad being wireless. PEH, above, wasn't able to hear sounds through his headset/wireless gamepad combo even though his Microsoft OS detects it being installed and connected. But I know, headsets work on wired controllers.

Even though wireless gamepads can work by themselfs, the connection issues with any kind of accessories to a wireless gamepad could be something that I'm overlooking or XInput is not capable of doing. One would think I'm just overlooking it, eh? Hopefully.

By chance, do you have a wired gamepad to see if your Chatpad works that way?

Does your windows system directly see that your chatpad is connected to your wireless gamepad?

I notice when trying to order one of these Microsoft Wireless Gaming Receiver to use the XBox360 controllers with, the main stores online around here (Walmart, Gamestop, GoHastings, even XBoxlive.com!) are all out of stock. That makes me believe this receiver thing isn't being made anymore.

But, I do know of other online stores I might be able to order from. Just gonna take me longer to get one. If I give in to do that.

I'll try finding some official DirectX forum that supports XInput or trying emailing someone about if there are any issues with XInput and wireless controllers.

I'll keep trying.

----------------------------

EDIT:

I must be getting good at google: Here's a site that have people up in arms with wireless controller problems:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/177697-28-xbox-controller

You have the receiver right? Your not trying to plug in the recharger adapter usb cable into the PC to try to make your controller like a wired one right?

EDIT: I see some people actaully said they got it to work by connecting the charger adapter usb cable to the wireless gamepad and to the PC. Wierd. I would not recommend that though just in case. Hate to see something get fried!

Also, you are not using an old wireless gamepad are you? I see there could be some kind of firmware issues with the gamepad itself that wont let it work on the PC.

Still looking...

------------------------------------------

Ofcoarse here's the direct instructions on how to connect a wireless controller with the PC receiver:
X12-35608-01_NA_EN_FR_ES.pdf

You did it like that, right??

Still looking...

----------------------------------

Edit: also, I seen it said that there is a difference in a 360 wireless for the xbox only and a 360 wireless controller for the PC. I suppose there are two flavors of the 360 wireless then. Mabie your wireless dont work right because it's a xbox only version?? I have no idea how to figure that one out for you. :/ If that's even true or not... lots of wierd problems I'm seeing...

Still looking...

------------------------------------

This is where I'm getting all these wireless issues from at google:
wireless 360 gamepad PC

I'm almost convinced I can't do anything about it. For instance, wired controllers with connected accessories work fine with this library. So that means that the XInput.dll is sending correct guids/other data to my dll in which it calls xinput functions to retrieve that data. Wired works, but Wireless don't?

Curious, when you run my example1 program... what does it say underneath the battery level for you?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 15:44
I have used the Charge and Play cable on my computer-- it works as expected with many of my games and stuff.

Maybe you're right with the PC not registering the "complete" package with the wireless adapter-- It's an original Microsoft product-- works with BOTH Xbox & Games for Windows Wireless Controllers.

I do not have a Microsoft wired controller-- just a couple of third party controllers. I will try the Charge and Play cable, as I have one handy, and try that. Either way, I will let you know.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 01:35
It tells me Low. It correct-- I have had a low battery now for about a week now... LOL

Anyway, I tried the Charge and Play cable-- no luck. Still not working. The wired controllers I own are third party manufactured, so the Chatpad wont plug in.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 04:05
Thanks for the effort of testing it, Anitarquious I

Unfortunitely, I found some bad news... Microsoft has not made drivers to actaully make it work for the PC. Found the info at the XNA site:
http://forums.xna.com/forums/t/5003.aspx

So there isn't anything I'll be able to do about it. Sorry bout that.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 04:18 Edited at: 31st Aug 2010 04:19
To PEH or anybody else that are unable to hear their voice with their headset running my example1 program:

From the XNA forums:

http://forums.xna.com/forums/p/6296/33327.aspx#33327

Try this suggestion from ajmiles:

Quote: "In the Personal Settings area of the Guide, go to Voice, and from in there you can choose Recording Device and Playback device. Make sure the Headset is chosen for the recording device, when you talk into the mic you should see the little "noiseometer" go up and down and (if it is the same as me) hear your own voice as an echo. Windows should also be able to detect the headset as a recording device, but you shouldn't need to touch anything in the control panel for it to work. "

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 18:02
Mine is intermittent.
I works then it quits-- wireless and wired-- could be just the headset (or the controller U_U)...

Anyway, going to try something else to see if it's going to work...

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 05:49
NEW For September 5, 2010:

Version 1.3 is up for both Dark Basic Pro and Dark GDK at ExoDev.Com's download section! This wraps it up and should be the final version. Hopefully, it's bug free. There's no more functionality I can wrap up from the XInput.dll. This release features XInput's Keystroke functionality. It was meant for the Chatpad, but chatpads don't work on the PC because Microsoft haven't made any drivers for them as of this date. But it works for the gamepad and can use it if you want to simulate the XBox360's on-screen keyboard thing. And it's there just in case if someday Microsoft does support the chatpad on the PC. Also feel free to join up at ExoDev.Com as I have section for the XBox360 Controller Library aaaallllll to itself. Enjoy!

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 23:25
Thanks Todd!
I can't wait to implement the simulated on-screen Xbox360 chatting windows... That'll be a hoot! O.o

Anyway, until Microsoft releases the drivers for the Chatpad I'm up to doing things the hard way-- again... LOL U_U

Cheers! <- Rated 5 Beers by "Xbox LIVE" AryuLimitless...!

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 02:30
Thanks for the 5 beer rating!

Let me know when you make a game using it so I can pimp it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:44:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:44:57