Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2010 20:03 Edited at: 6th Mar 2010 23:18
Hassan! thats impressive you should give some pointers as where to start... the text looks so much better and neater!

hi
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 14:29 Edited at: 7th Mar 2010 14:30
thanks
Quote: "you should give some pointers as where to start"

start studying directX? it's sad to say that i use books, not online tutorials =/

Quote: "the text looks so much better and neater!"

it actually is, it's stupid that GDK uses one font, and changes the color using dbInk (i think it resets the font because it's slow ( for some reason... )), when the color is required when drawing the text, not creating the font, and i dont have an idea about why they didnt use the text alpha either =/

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 09:27
just saw the Maui youtube vid,
TechLord, that was pretty impressive
both commantery and the Maui system.

looking good!
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Im still working on navigation mesh pathfinding.
I saw the MAUI youtube video.
You sound like one of my professors. LOL. ^__^

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2010 18:00 Edited at: 13th Mar 2010 08:59
Thank you all for the compliments on my first Youtube vid. Although, making vids requires more work, I intend to produce many more as I find them to be a very effective way to communicate concepts/ideas (and I have plenty).

Now its time to get back to coding MAUI. I'm currently brainstorming a user-friendly labeling scheme for DarkLUA constructs. I'm striving for two goals with DarkLUA. Firstly, as a scripting language, DarkLUA will be totally `procedural` (100% KISS - 0% OOP). Secondly, maintain a near-BASIC syntax within the limits LUA language with minimal bindings. What I intended to achieve with the S3GE_API Layer can be accomplished within DarkLUA Scripting more efficiently with less hassle in coding the engine.

LUA Script Example

In anticipation that DarkLUA will be used for other engine systems in addition to MAUI, the labeling scheme must support those systems as well. Each system could provide a pseudo-namespace by providing a prefix. For instance the User Interface System will provide `ui` prefix for all constructs.

Although, I've adopted a verbose labeling scheme for programming over the years, it may not be suitable. I'm open to recommendations/reasoning behind on other labeling schemes. Below are examples of labeling schemes (case-sensitive) I'm considering.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 20:00
I will upload Fulcrum 1.2 to dosp later, could you give it a quick test for me Techlord, I know there is at least one person who can't get it to run but I think I may have fixed it.

Also, Hassan has just posted with a quicker way to do text, this would be great for S3GE, hopefully someone can do the drawing functions as well because they are sooooooooo slooooooooow.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 06:57
Quote: "I will upload Fulcrum 1.2 to dosp later, could you give it a quick test for me Techlord, I know there is at least one person who can't get it to run but I think I may have fixed it."
What date do you plan to make the update?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 16:10
Its updated, although it is already a version behind
I will update again when I fix a few more issues.

Quote: "Although, I've adopted a verbose labeling scheme for programming over the years, it may not be suitable. I'm open to recommendations/reasoning behind on other labeling schemes. Below are examples of labeling schemes (case-sensitive) I'm considering."

I'm not a fan of all lower case, so any of the others imo.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 17:02
Fulcrum is working fine for me. I had to put a copy of NxCharacter.dll in the Debug Directory in order for it to be found; and modify a include in MAUI.h to merge with my most recent changes. Otherwise working like a charm.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 14:53 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 14:54
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 15:32
Wow, very interesting. I will take a good look at that when I get time.

The dosp version of Fulcrum has everything that the seperate version has minus 1 minor bug fix. The next version will have raycasting and groups, these are finished.

I am still looking at triggers, its looks like this may be a dosp only feature as the best way to implement triggers is to inherit from the PhysX trigger class and over-ride its trigger-action function, this does not fit well in a basic plug-in so it may not get added to Fulcrum. Its pretty easy to implement your own triggers anyway so I don't see it as much of a problem.
When S3GE API gets up and running we will use the inherit/over-riding feature to do our triggers as this will probably be more efficient than any triggers we could write ourselves.

Whats new Techlord, how are you getting on?
I could have done with MAUI recently as I'm making a small game and had to write a small/simple GUI for it.
Is MAUI purly sprite based? I used DarkForm as a placeholder GUI and it really slowed down my game as the DarkGDK drawing functions are really sloooooooow

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 18:44 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 19:03
Hi matty,

Quote: "I am still looking at triggers, its looks like this may be a dosp only feature as the best way to implement triggers is to inherit from the PhysX trigger class and over-ride its trigger-action function, this does not fit well in a basic plug-in so it may not get added to Fulcrum. Its pretty easy to implement your own triggers anyway so I don't see it as much of a problem. When S3GE API gets up and running we will use the inherit/over-riding feature to do our triggers as this will probably be more efficient than any triggers we could write yourselves."

Any Physx Collision object can be used as trigger as long as we can query for a collision detection/response without applying physics simulation to the collision object. Box2D offers the feature by flagging Shapes as `Sensors`, thus physics simulation isn't applied to the Bodies. If all fails, we can use a separate collision algo (not my preference).

The S3GE API has been removed in favor of coding freedom. I'm applying standardized labeling rules within the S3GE's DarkLUA Scripting, which appears to be the best layer for it. I elected to use a format like uiGizmoPropertySet().

Quote: "I could have done with MAUI recently as I'm making a small game and had to write a small/simple GUI for it.
Is MAUI purly sprite based? I used DarkForm as a placeholder GUI and it really slowed down my game as the DarkGDK drawing functions are really sloooooooow"

I've been working on MAUI/DarkLUA/Box2D practically everyday with a goal to fix-a-bug or add more functionality. Integrating LUA directly has turned out to be a good decision.

MAUI is very close to basic GUI functionality. It can now draw Theme Borders, play Audio Schemes and has one Button Behavior. I can move the mouse around click gizmos.

MAUI uses sprites & meshes and I'm also considering using 3D Quads locked-to-screen to take advantage of Shaders. Its true DarkGDK's drawing functions are slow for some unknown reason, however, we may be able to do something about that with the source.

Once basic 2D GUI functionality is working to my satisfaction, I'm going to dig into DarkNET. The goal is to get networking functioning so I can pull *.maui files from a server to local client. I will gradually add 3D as I figure out Fulcrum and beef up Behaviors and Transitions as needed.

What small game are you making?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 19:53
Its true that there are many ways to implement triggers, its just that the inherit and over-ride method is recommended, I will also look at the other options.

As far as the API goes, this is where I am most confused. Our engine is going to add alot of functionality to DarkGDK so wont we need our own commands for virtualy everything? dbLoadObject() may become SGELoadObject(), as this may also setup animation data,collision etc.

Anyway, my game is a kind of 3D tetris/lemmings thing, Im making it for the appup store and I should have a demo out soon with about 5 levels. I'll post some pics when I'm nearly done.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 21:17
Quote: "As far as the API goes, this is where I am most confused. Our engine is going to add alot of functionality to DarkGDK so wont we need our own commands for virtualy everything? dbLoadObject() may become SGELoadObject(), as this may also setup animation data,collision etc."

Its Open source so NO need to rewrite every command. Thus, I removed the S3GE API to eliminate confusion. Everyone has their own coding style, so no need to hinder development with specialized rules (I realized this with writing MAUI). As long as Docs explain purpose, parameters, and return values of our own functions, etc there is no need for one.

As I started writing the Script for MAUI Behaviors, I realized that the scripting layer would be more suitable for label rules. So if there any sort of `API`, it only exists in S3GE Scripting.

3D tetris/lemmings hybrid sounds like fun. I was looking at game development for Droid Phones. But, I'm not pursuing any other prospects until I get S3GE up to a level to run a basic FPS with some level of customization. Too far in it to quit now.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 21:51 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 21:53
Quote: "As I started writing the Script for MAUI Behaviors, I realized that the scripting layer would be more suitable for label rules. So if there any sort of `API`, it only exists in S3GE Scripting."

My gut tells me that we should have our own interface to S3GE, otherwise we have just got a collection of plug-ins which might not warrent the title 'engine'. I would prefer an oop design, when the user loads or creates an object I would prefer that all attributes and functionality belong to that object automaticaly, is that not the way engines usualy work?

Lets take the SGELoadObject() example again, we will have commands that set-up collision and animation for any particular object, it makes sense then that once you have set up the object you would be able to save it so you can use it for any future project and save time as its already been set up. Once saved, it only makes sense that you need to load it, now rather than use dbLoadObject() and then somehow add its extra S3GE data and functionality seperately, it should be encapsulated in the object its-self and all loaded with our own LoadObject() command.

After doing all this you realise that you may need your own command to position the object as dbPositionObject wont work any more. Our own PositionObject command will take into consideration whether the object is moved by the physics system or not and do the right thing automaticaly. So we may end up with our own set of functions that blend all the plug-ins together seamlessly
I know this is alot of work but I think it will be worth it, I would also be willing to develop this idea a little to see if it works the way I would hope it would.

If you have another way you are going to achieve this thats cool too, just let me know roughly how you see it working.

Quote: "3D tetris/lemmings hybrid sounds like fun. I was looking at game development for Droid Phones. But, I'm not pursuing any other prospects until I get S3GE up to a level to run a basic FPS with some level of customization. Too far in it to quit now."

Its called 'Hot Goblins', you look down from above and drop shapes to stop the goblins getting fried in the lava below, the key to whether it is any good is if I can come up with some good puzzling levels.
I am still 100% behind dosp though, I get really excited about what might be possible and now we have the source for DarkGDK there are no limits to what it can achieve.

Thats my longest ever post, good luck reading it, oh you just did lol

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 12:00 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 12:03
why not make a new editor?
if you build an entire engine based on DarkGDK , why not building an Engine Editor or Interface , but, with the addition of writing c++ code(since its open-source) and aside of that having the Scripting Languge , so you get something like that:

the idea is:
you get a real time enviorment where you can work like a normal 3D editor, the exception is , during that Real Time work , you can "Recompile" sections of your work , change them , tweek them whatever one wants, and if you dont want to , you can use the scripting languge Lua for other commands.

now here is the real suprize, lets say you added a 3D Box mesh into somewhere in the 3D space and you can see it in the 3D viewport area , you select it , and go to C++ source , this way, you actually get the "code" for how the box is built, so you get a direct access to that box , then , you copy paste for not destroying the original like:

Working with Lua, "Add a new Kind of Box" , this will add a new box in the toolbar , it will be the same as before but with an exeption of an entirly new "class" or a "class structure" , when you can then enter the Source Code , find that spot and configure it, then you hit "Recompile", and that section only compiles (or the entire code), now in the Tool Bar , you have the Box icon where you select what to "add" to 3D space, but now when you press it you have a Tree one positions the original created by u, and a new one , created by the user.

this way , you might have a fully rig able workflow when you can always recompile and change things to the source and see it right away.

also , you get the Error Reporting down screen , if you made something wrong it will tell you.

is it possible? i dont know , dont know much about compilers..
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 12:40 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 13:28
Quote: "My gut tells me that we should have our own interface to S3GE, otherwise we have just got a collection of plug-ins which might not warrent the title 'engine'."
Hi Matty, I view game design in layers. Building layers on top of layers both physically (source code) and logically (functionality). Thats the way I view most things so, I may be completely off mark, but, heres my take on the Game Engines.

IMO A Game Engine is the complilation of many specialize engines integrated together to facilitate a interactive game experience managing user input and game content(media & logic). There are Physics Engines, Particle Engines, AI Engines, etc. All engines provide facilities to load and process specialized data.

We already have more than just a collection of plug-ins. For example, MAUI (A Graphical/User Interface `Engine`) integrates DarkLUA(LUA), IrrXML, Box2D, Fulcrum(Physx), DarkGDK, OAW (audio), Wii & 360 Controller Libs, and soon DarkNet. It loads and processes mauis and will function similar 2d/3d a Web Browser when I finished.

You mention interface to S3GE. Scripting provides a high-level programmable interface to the S3GE without a need to recompile. The Scripting should provide everything one needs to load and run game content wether its streamed or buffered, remotely or locally stored. If folks want to modify S3GE, they'll to modify the source/recompile.

Quote: "I would prefer an oop design, when the user loads or creates an object I would prefer that all attributes and functionality belong to that object automaticaly, is that not the way engines usualy work?"
I'm not familar with any OOP standard for game engine design. However, I agree with your reasoning for using inheritance and there are several layers at which you can apply OOP and other paradigms behind the scenes.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 12:50
Quote: " For example, MAUI (A Graphical/User Interface `Engine`) integrates DarkLUA(LUA), IrrXML, Box2D, Fulcrum(Physx), DarkGDK, OAW (audio), Wii & 360 Controller Libs, and soon DarkNet. It loads and processes mauis and will function similar 2d/3d a Web Browser when I finished."

I think MAUI will be the key to me understanding S3GE more, when you complete it could you make a couple of demos/tutorials on how to use it?

@haliop - We have every intention of making an editor for S3GE, not sure about another IDE but I suppose its best to keep our options open. Can't really make an editor until we have the underlying engine though.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 15:15
Hi Haliop,

Yes the goal is to develop an Editor Suite - Super 3D Game Editor (S3GEd) on top of S3GE. I desire this to include a miniaturized Script IDE. However, VC++ compilation is beyond the scope of this project. The goal of multi-genre support is to minimize the need to modify the Engine Source to produce unique features, game mechanics, and special effects. The source is open if you decide to extend S3GE capabilities.

Quote: "I think MAUI will be the key to me understanding S3GE more, when you complete it could you make a couple of demos/tutorials on how to use it?"
Of course, I intend to write a manual, examples, and tutorial for MAUI and other systems we build. However, I need similar information from you to integrate Fulcrum into MAUI. MAUI can provide ideas for integrating some of the plug-ins such as DarkLUA for other systems.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 15:51
dunno, but i think you guys should've started creating a "super game" not a "super engine", would've been cool creating a good open source high-graphics game, it will bring more people to the community ( advertisement ) and it will be a very good resource for the new comers to GDK, it will also be 10x more fun than the engine

dunno about you guys, but i feel it would've been better =/

by the way, what've you done till now? anything new? ( looks like the project is going well )

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 16:10
no no no , i disagree hasan.
a super game engine is much more powerful then A game.
and i'll explain , once this is done
we can all enjoy it by creating games.
altough it would probably be self advertising rather then bringing more ppl here, but will still do its effect on the DarkGDK community as it was built with DarkGDK, so its good.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 16:22
doubt someone will use it, anyway, keep in mind the GDK is VERY simple coding, so none will think of using something else as it's already easy, and can create such good games

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 16:59 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 17:02
Quote: "doubt someone will use it"

You may be right there Hassan, but at the very least, me and Techlord will use it, and it looks like haliop will try it.
I think people will start to try it out after they see what is possible, but that may be a long way off at the moment.

Quote: "dunno, but i think you guys should've started creating a "super game" not a "super engine""

Are you not in the process of making an engine using raw DirectX by yourself? I believe your task is alot bigger than ours.

I'm currently making a game using Fulcrum, this has speeded up development tons, I started making a simple GUI for it and can't believe how much time thats taking, if I had S3GE now my game would be finished.

@Techlord - Fulcrum has got documentation and a couple of examples but I dont think I added them to dosp yet, I will create lots more examples on each aspect of Fulcrum.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 19:03
well , overall i still think that a decent game engine will power up everyone in here, it will show ppl (mostly newcomers ) :

you can have:
2D Physics -Box2D, 3D physics - fulcrum, Advance Gui - Maui
Ai , Scripting Languge - Lua,
it will make the game production much easier, and i say again , much easier , same as if i will start working with Unreal Editor
or Game Maker ...

i think its all good , and it seams like TechLord is super serious about it , and Matty also building Physics and good physics
so , i dont see why not building a game engine.

ok , anyone can build one game , lets say an FPS , and the game succseed and it sells and everything, but now the author wants to build a Racing Game .. so actually he will need to start from scratch , but now if you have a game engine with an interface and physics built in and ofcourse the Gui it will take much much less time , and in a few weeks you can see best selling results.

i admire Tech and Matty for doing this , i think its awesome!
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 22:34
Quote: "
you can have:
2D Physics -Box2D, 3D physics - fulcrum, Advance Gui - Maui
Ai , Scripting Languge - Lua,
it will make the game production much easier, and i say again , much easier , same as if i will start working with Unreal Editor
or Game Maker ...
"

you might be right, but that'd be just a couple of plugins together, not an "engine" as techlord said, i dont really know how you will call it an engine when even objects are created by GDK, it's just some plugins gathered together

not trying to be negative here, your work is great, but i still think you should've create a super game

good luck tho, also matty, how hard was wrapping physX? i'll need to wrap some physics engine to my wrapper, along with some AI, but i'm really afraid of the "physics" topic

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 22:52
Quote: "good luck tho, also matty, how hard was wrapping physX? i'll need to wrap some physics engine to my wrapper, along with some AI, but i'm really afraid of the "physics" topic "

As you may know, you don't need to know any physics at all.
It does help if you know how to manipulate matrices, I could help you out if you get stuck.
There is plenty of example code out there to use PhysX with DirectX but you will need to search for it as the official PhysX examples all use OpenGL.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 23:15 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 23:24
Quote: "dunno, but i think you guys should've started creating a "super game" not a "super engine", would've been cool creating a good open source high-graphics game, it will bring more people to the community ( advertisement ) and it will be a very good resource for the new comers to GDK, it will also be 10x more fun than the engine"
The reason I advocated to develop a Game Engine was to fit the needs of a broader audience. There are 1000's of inspiring game developers here, each with their own ideas for a game, and not many desire to work on someone elses. S3GE is being develop to support multiple genres out-of-box and allow Game Developers to dig into creating Game Content: Media, Data & Logic, instead of source code.

Quote: "doubt someone will use it, anyway, keep in mind the GDK is VERY simple coding, so none will think of using something else as it's already easy, and can create such good games"
We are using it and we are creating a Super Game. Instead of Story First, we are developing the Tech behind it first. There is a gazillion tons of work in source code that goes into any decent game that is being overlooked. GDK in its native form is NOT complete for creating complex games. Integrating Scripting, Physics, Networking, Pathfinding, etc all require lots of work. There is a massive amount testing and tech demo writing along the way (and I wont even mention developing Tools to ease game content creation). No Matter the approach. If we had elected to create a Super Game, there would be some sort of Game Engine behind it in one form or another.

We are not only building a Game Engine, Game Editor and Game, we are showing others how we are doing it and there's is simply a lot of work involve to do that.

Quote: "i think its all good , and it seams like TechLord is super serious about it, and Matty also building Physics and good physics so , i dont see why not building a game engine."

Yes, I'm very serious about it. I ran from C++ for years. Now that I'm in the thick of it, there is no turning back. There are a slew of FREE C++ Libs out there that can be added to the Engine Source. DOSP is Open Source and I fail to see any limitations.

Quote: "Fulcrum has got documentation and a couple of examples but I dont think I added them to dosp yet, I will create lots more examples on each aspect of Fulcrum."
Excellent!

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 01:06 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 01:13
Quote: "you might be right, but that'd be just a couple of plugins together, not an "engine" as techlord said, i dont really know how you will call it an engine when even objects are created by GDK, it's just some plugins gathered together

not trying to be negative here, your work is great, but i still think you should've create a super game"

I'll repeat: we are creating a Super Game. Game = Game Engine + Game Content. Every Game has a Game Engine. Remove the media and that what is left. S3GE is just more flexible, allowing developers to use different media, data & logic.

The DOSP Team is simply working out the media/data formats, scripting languages, network messaging protocols, user input, etc the Engine will require prior to creating a story & content. We are selecting Source Code Libraries/Plug-ins/Sub-Systems that will support them with the intention of reusing the Engine for other stories and content of completely different game play mechanics and modes of play.

Quote: "good luck tho, also matty, how hard was wrapping physX? i'll need to wrap some physics engine to my wrapper, along with some AI, but i'm really afraid of the "physics" topic "
Hassan, you are creating a Game Engine! Even if you have story and content, you still need to develop the tech behind it for it to run.

I'm sure we all have our opinion on what a Game Engine is. For me its a Game Engine is the compilation of many specialize engines (Physics Engines, Particle Engines, AI Engines, GUI Engines, etc) integrated together to facilitate a interactive game experience managing user input and game content(media & logic).

MAUI is an example of specialized engine. It is a GUI Engine that integrates several sub-system libraries: DarkLUA(LUA), IrrXML, Box2D, Fulcrum(Physx), DarkGDK, OAW (audio), Wii & 360 Controller Libs, and DarkNet. It loads and processes mauis and will function similar to a 2D/3D Web Browser. These Libraries are used by other systems.

S3GE is also more than just a collection of plug-ins. The compiled result: S3GE.exe, will load and process game content to produce a game.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 08:09
hi tech i could create some Models and animate them using only Blender textures also

if you want you can give me the idea of a Logo or a Masqote for S3GE

i can actually make some
Airplane
Cars
Human Models
im not the best at it , but its coming along nicely.
check this:

simple low poly car about 500 polys
but with textures painted using blender texture painter
i dont use 2D drawing apps like photoshop cause i still cant figure out the UV exctraction like other ppl do ...

it was aimed for a Multiplayer game using low poly models means alot more ppl with lower spec ends pcs can play it with decent FPS.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 08:37 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 09:54

Video Demo of a MAUI Gizmo in Action

Haliop, the model is looking good. How do you feel about modeling `Parts` that can be assembled in the Engine `real-time` to create variety of Airplane, Cars, Human Models? S3GE's Modular Entity Construction System(MECS) takes inspirations from RPGs and Racers in which you can customize the appearance of your character/racer by changing parts. I realized that practically every 3D entity could be customized. Such a flexible Entity Creation System could prove in valuable creating catalogs of prefabricated, procedurally created 3D assets. It would also support in-game customization of entities, if desired.

Quote: "if you want you can give me the idea of a Logo or a Masqote for S3GE"
I like the idea. I'm looking for something to repalce the cube in the demo - hehe. Can you produce a 3D text version of . What do you have in mind for a Mascot?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 11:20
S3GE's Modular Entity Construction System(MECS)
i have also thought about something like that
the only problem i saw with this , is when you go online into a multiplayer game , you need to "Glue" all objects and keep them together which can cause a mass of Lag , then i realised , after i'll manipulate the character with items , i can create a new Temp mesh for that session only and "upload" what i need into current game session , then i have only one Object to follow and send its vars over web.. so customize is my opinion for every game i'll make , btw , look at the car , no wheels ? yeah , customizable

about the logo , im thinking more of a Character type rather then a 3D Text Mesh , which can be easily made in 2D with high texture level.

character - well , you want to show off what the engine can do right?

so the character , should be able to walk , run , climb, shot , cruch , strafe , rotate around , all animations that we can think off , then when a new guy comes to develop something with the engine , he can simple use that one , same as the ones we have in DarkGDK , but just more towards S3GE.

if i will do that , it may take some time.
but i really need an idea for it ..
problem with blender is that it export .X not so good and sometimes there are some problems or bugs with it , i think you should work on Exporters for S3GE, so you'll have full control over Bones/ Animations /Materials and such.

the best part with S3GE's Modular Entity Construction System(MECS)
is that you can make seperate body parts therefor seperate materials and shaders on each part, now again should be converted into one Model so it wont cause lags online ... hmm.. well alot of work.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 12:38
here is something i did in like 10 minutes
thought about it while was in the $#@#$ toilet

idea: a Super Hero , but an Helirous one
in the middle of his "outfil" he will have
S3GE
and he is the "One" who shows you what S3GE can do
so you can manipulate him ,throw him seing the physics reactions, shot him for Die animations , streach him and all kind of stuff.

here is a pic:

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 12:38
Cool, haliop, I will be doing vehicles soon for the physics engine, could I use your car? Also, do you have a wheel to go with that?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 12:44
yeah i can make you a wheel in 2 seconds
the problem with my models is that the Uv textures are not as they should be if you want to manipulate them inside photo shop.
so for now i know only how to 3D paint them in blender... so thats a drawback.. until i'll learn how to do it.

here is the Model Attached and i'll hope you like it
pss pss , dont forget to credit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 13:15
Cool, thanks, the S3GE man is a good idea too.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 14:57
Haliop, heres the logo I noticed prior to you posting S3GE Man.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 15:42
thats a cool logo.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 15:48 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 15:50
Quote: "
As you may know, you don't need to know any physics at all.
There is plenty of example code out there to use PhysX with DirectX but you will need to search for it as the official PhysX examples all use OpenGL.
"

so it not very hard is it? i want to wrap havok as it seems MUCH more powerful.

Quote: "It does help if you know how to manipulate matrices, I could help you out if you get stuck."

heh, thanks! i will ask you whenever i get stuck (you're sooo dead.)

fulcrum and maui are getting very nice, but with your such huge plans, you wont finish before a year or two
however, good luck with the project

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 18:28
HOW CAN havok be more powerful then to wrap PhysX itself?
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 19:33 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 19:35
havok is a physics engine, like physX, if you didnt know. and it supports way more features ( i heard it has way better rag-dolls )

some of the best PC games -eg: Assassin's Creed- uses Havok

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 21:56
Yeh, Havok and PhysX are probably the two best physics engines out there, Havok has its advantages and PhysX has its advantages, either way, they are both very stable physics simulaters.
Can't help much with Havok though although but as you know there is a Havok wrapper being developed for DBPro, he can probably help if you get stuck.

Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 08:10
Mind if I take a stab at the logo?

http://www.darkgdk.us/ <- You can now submit pages, upload images, yet were lacking content. We need your help!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 08:48
man i had that logo in 3D last night in blender
and it came out so nicely..
but then cause im stupid, i forgot to save.. and it all went to hell.

almost destroyed my pc.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 10:10
btw , i had an idea for a video sorth of a trailer for S3GE.

it starts in a tunnel , everything is dark, then you see a bit of a light and it grows by time , little by little you hear the tracks shaking and from a distance you hear the Horn, in a slow to fast paste you suddenly see the Train of S3GE coming out of the tunnel attached to its head (logo) are trailers containing Maui behind it Fulcrum etc..

the train keeps on moving in a smooth way going from the head to the first trailer you see the Maui shows off what it can do , all kind of Gui gizmos flying in mid air changing the area or the train textures , night to day , making everything faster or slower (what ever comes in mind actually ) , then you move on to fulcrom and for one millionit sec everything stop , then a force brakes the entire fulcrom trailer ( destructable mesh ) and you see boxes flying everywhere , then the rain kicks in and you see the water simulation driping from what left from the trailer to the tracks then suddenly a flag raise up inside the fulcrom destroyed trailer and its all about the cloth , you see a soldier of somekind loading up his weapons and go on to the next trailer fighting Ai , taking cover throwing grande one ai jumps on that grande and take all the hit so its fellow members can survive...

i think thats an awesome ending.

sorth of an interactive video to show off , what S3GE is all about!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 18:20
haliop, Here's my take on S3GE Man

Cuddle Bunniezzz 12, Heres my take on your S3GE Engine

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 19:33
nice!!!!
i'll try to create him
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 20:17
@TechLord

Haha, nice. I remember watching the Johnny Bravo cartoons as a kid.

And for the logo I made, feel free to do what you want with it. Of course I could make up some other stuff for a logo that doesn't involve a train.

Would you also like a copy of the .ai file I had, I did it all in Vector format.

http://www.darkgdk.us/ <- You can now submit pages, upload images, yet were lacking content. We need your help!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 09:33
Quote: "And for the logo I made, feel free to do what you want with it. Of course I could make up some other stuff for a logo that doesn't involve a train.

Would you also like a copy of the .ai file I had, I did it all in Vector format."
I would be interested in viewing any and all logos no matter type. I'm not sure if I have software that supports the *.ai vector format. I use GIMP for most of my artwork.

MAUI now has basic GUI functionality (Button Behaviors only) but, I'm ready to dive into adding DarkNet. I will be adding new behaviors, and tweaking eveything else for MAUI as I go.

The initial goal for adding DarkNet will be to transmit and receive files from a HTTP Server so that S3GE can pull media/maui data files from a remote Server into MAUI similar to a Web Browser. The secondary goal will be to expand on this functionality for update system, realtime messaging, etc.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 08:33
after matty talked about UDK , i went and checked it out.

its pretty amazing , its a powerful editor
including everything one needs in order to finish a high detail super extreme games.

btw two days ago , i was sitting with some friends and we lith up a smoking accesoris and it hit me, MMOFPS up 2 100000000000 players with no lags, i dont know why i didnt thought of it before, but its absolutly amazing, i actually think i can sell the idea behind it for alot of money.. but , i post it here , for us so everyone can enjoy it , and if it were included in S3GE , well that would honestly make it Super for networking also.

presentaion to follow. pls stay tuned.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 09:17
ok , here it is as posted above:

what is the MMLS server?
you can think of it as a spare or Temp server that connect 4 server or a quad of servers and gives you the admin or game creator
a powerfull tool that connect with all the quad servers resulting in a massive multiplayer high detailed server inclding server physics and all of that with lag free entartaiment.

but wait what if i want 1024 players on one campign?
but i still want to have the high detailed and physics?

well , if a server is 64 players , then 1024 / 64 = 16.
meaning 16 servers and 16 / 4 = 4 MMLS temp servers and one more for the disterbution or just use the 4 existing one.

now its a bit tricky , who will pay for all of these servers?
well how about a company like Infinity Ward (call of duty creators)
how about Dice (BattleField) , well this approach takes the First persone shooter to another new unimagined level.

one hugh world of maps , one hugh master server quads
resulting in one awesome expriance for multi player first person shoter.

techlord, is this possible to include in S3GE?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:51:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:51:58