Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - Upgrade 7.5

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 19:03
@Deep Cove Software
You should update to the latest version of DBP, and see if the problem persists. If it does there is a proper thread for DBP bug reporting. V7.4 is the newest official one. v7.1 is old now.

This thread is for bugs in the new 7.5 beta update.

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 19:20
@=PRoF= - you're correct in that I had 7.1 on there. I have no idea why that's the version I have??? I could've sworn I put 7.5 beta 1 on there when I installed Windows 7 a couple of months back. The new version looks different but much better than the older one .

The versioning in the about box makes sense to me now. After installing beta 2 of 7.5, I can confirm the issue still persists as it did with 7.1.
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 03:31
When I upgraded to 7.5b2 everything seemed to go ok.
When I started DBPro I got a message box saying:
The required syntax highlighting file is missing. It will now be built. Then it starts to build the file for 1/2 second and crashes.
So I can't run DBPro.
I had to down rev to 7.4b9.
I tried installing 7.5b2 several times.

What can I do to fix this?
I have Windows XP Pro
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What can I do to fix this?"

Use the old editor, it can be found in the Editor folder, its called editor.exe. Just use that

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 10:22
@BillR
Why are u using 7.4b9? The final build of 7.4 is available (i.e non beta version)

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 19:04 Edited at: 12th Jan 2010 19:07
[ quote: ]

change an editor's icon.
It is not good to resemble an exe icon.
[ /quote ]

i have made an icon for editor. just a little bit 'emo' but i like its colour.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 06:15
hi great "TGC Lead Developer"!
please, think about a new button called "silent compile" or something (like in Delphi 2010).
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to run V7.5 in the original editor as i much prefer that. I have installed the update and run the original editor but i get lots of command errors due to unknown commands in the FPSC V1.16 source.

.CALIBRE - COMING MAY 2010
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 18:51 Edited at: 18th Jan 2010 18:54
Quote: "Is it possible to run V7.5 in the original editor as i much prefer that"

I second that
Quote: "the source hasn't changed since the last compile it just ran the previously compiled version."

that too
(good idea mobiius)

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 20:19 Edited at: 18th Jan 2010 20:20
Quote: "Is it possible to run V7.5 in the original editor as i much prefer that. I have installed the update and run the original editor but i get lots of command errors due to unknown commands in the FPSC V1.16 source."

Yes it is possible because I use the original editor, yet. Even with v1.075.

Make sure that the setup.ini file within the compiler folder has the following DIRECTIVES set accordingly.

[DIRECTIVES]
RemoveSafetyCode=Yes
SafeArrays=No
LocalTempFolder=No

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 03:12 Edited at: 19th Jan 2010 03:13
still, im getting annoyed with the compiling when it's already compiled. Maybe make f5 compile and run but have a drop down menu option to just run?
But still it's a good upgrade and your doing good work.
im trying not to sound like a nark.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 18:52
BETA3 uploaded. I will also check through the feedback since BETA2 over the weekend and into next week, and respond on those points separately. For now, I hope you enjoy the latest beta.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 19:50 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2010 22:50
I don't know how to report this error if I run the Road terrain or a Physx Explosion demos both work ok.

However when I compile my weather program it pass the compile stage ok, it opens a window and after some time I get the MS error box saying ntdll.dll is stopping my code from running.

the compiled code worked ok in beta 2.

Edit update

Well I have removed all parts to do with physx and the code compiles and runs for a few seconds then stops with the ntdll.dll error.
edit update 2
forgot that some where in my code it load the ntdll.dll file and this I think was causing the crash, however it could do it ok for the past 4 years.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander, I had problems with what you said caus it had no effect :S What i have done is removed and replaced the old editor with the renamed versions of the new one . I have checked all the functions of DB Pro and they all work well with it

.CALIBRE - COMING MAY 2010
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 14:56 Edited at: 25th Jan 2010 10:47
Hi Lee,

The new editor modifies the setup.ini automatically before it compiles (it gives us a warning message which is good). It changes the Directives back to:

[DIRECTIVES]
RemoveSafetyCode=No
SafeArrays=Yes

As you know if we compile the FPSC source code we need the directives to remain the same as in the "Extras" folder; which is the opposite of the above.

So, it is difficult to use the new editor for that reason.

Addendum #1:

I had just installed beta 3 and even using the "old" editor will modify the setup.ini file. At least something is. ???

Addendum #2:

OK, I'm confused. Inconsistencies will always do that to me.

When I reset the directives to compile the FPSC source code it didn't change this time with the old editor.

Addendum #3:

Maybe this will be the last addendum.

OK, it appears that when you run the editor the first time it will modify the setup.ini file. However, after re-modifying it manually and then running the editor again, it will leave it alone. Am I seeing this correctly?

Addendum #4:

OK, so it wasn't my last addendum.

It is inconsistent but every once in awhile the compiler setup.ini will be updated and change the directives. I go through all of the compile (which takes at least 2 or 3 minutes) and then will get the error that "Return" cannot be in a function. So I have to go and change the directives to allow for this. So, I will try to remember to always check the setup file before compiling.

If I ever find when exactly the setup file gets modified I will post.

OliveTreeGames
bloody bamboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 12:46 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 17:06
Hi,
When I set the design to Office 2010 crashes Dark Basic Pro.

If I start DB again everything works, but when I try to change the options it crashes again.

Edit:
It also crashes when I make a new Project.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpfile
Quote: "
LIGHT TYPE
This command will return 1 for point, 2 for spot and 3 for directional light type.
"

A mistake of help file

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 20:13
Beta 3 bug:

I have a function in my program that creates bitmaps and makes sprite buttons for me, and after some thorough testing, have found the problem lies with creating several bitmaps.

The following code crashes with that lovely "temp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." window:

Different bitmap numbers or bitmap sizes doesn't help either, still crashes on trying to create the 8th bitmap.

If it matters, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 2.

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 20:40
Hi Guys,

I have gone through the feedback and there is quite a few reports that really belong in the forthcoming U76 beta. U75 was intended to solve the interface issues as this was the most dramatic change in recent versions and needed to be tamed. It sounds like many of you are happy with the interface in general, and my hope is that the BETA3 solved those remaining niggles (minus the three issues I have written in the todo section of the first post). Can anyone who still has interface issues with BETA3 please re-post below this entry so I have a clear idea of what remains for U75. Cut & Paste is fine, but if you can get someone to confirm your finding in sufficient detail that I can reproduce quickly, that will help me locate and fix the issues. Remember that things like missing line numbers and parsing concerns are 'compiler' issues rather than 'interface' issues. Interface issues would be things like opening a DBPROJ file and not seeing your project you created five minutes ago, or ticking a box in the options menu that fails to produce the expected behaviour. Hopefully we can resolve the last remaining interface issues together for U75 and move straight on to U76. Also, if you are happy with the interface in it's current form, post as well so I have a general satisfaction count so I know if I am winning

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 08:40 Edited at: 26th Jan 2010 08:56
Ah the interface...sorry about that, I've been using BlueIDE this whole time until the new editor was corrected...

Anyway, I loaded it up, and noticed that repeat is still shown as a label, even inside a remstart-remend block.

After a few seconds of pasting this into a new project, repeat appears as a label, and repeat loses highlighting. Of course, the problem is gone if you simply place the repeat and until on separate lines.

If I try to compile, it comes up with the error:

Duplicate UPDATE PHYSICS in PhysicsMain_PC_Master.dll and PhysicsMain_PC.dll!
Command in 'PhysicsMain_PC_Master.dll' command-table unrecognised (UPDATE PHYSICS%0%?updatePhysics@@YAXXZ)

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
I am unidentified,
It crashes in U75b3.
U74 does not have problem.
bloody bamboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 19:10
Hi,
How can I set the design manually?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 21:28
BETA4 uploaded. I have solved the remaining todo items from the last beta, and also dealt with the interface issues reported in this thread since beta2. I have made comments below that relate to that work. Let me know how BETA4 works for you, good and bad:

Rich Dersheimer : Scancode not match interface scancode. I have added text to the interface

Rich Dersheimer : When there are duplicate dll entries you should not use conflicting third party modules (choose one)

Rich Dersheimer : Using Help>About DarkBASIC Professional Editor shows the build date, but not the version. For version, use the About Compiler item

Green Gandalf & F l a t l a n d e r & Burning Feet Man: We are testing the official interface that is part of the BETA download. John's builds simply helped things along over Christmas while I was eating turkey. Only EditorNew.exe is being tested, Editor.exe is not affected by the updates (leaving your legacy editor alone) and EditorU73.exe was a throwback from an earlier beta and can be deleted.

Green Gandalf : As beta cycles are common in DBP, I did not want the installers to overwrite where DBA and DBPROJ extensions point to, so that is why the associate is a manual choice within the interface

DarkJP : The advert appears when the software thinks it is a free version. If you have bought DBP at some point, simply enter your orderkey from the email you received when you activated your product and it will remove the adverts. The advert is a simple HTML view from our server, using the same security level as you would if you visited our main website

BillR : Check with the latest BETA3 to see if this new version solves your issue (as it works fine here)

mrHandy : Thanks for the icon design, it looks cool. Alas we're going to keep confusion to a minimum and stick with gold Thanks for the effort though!

Scary Little Rabbit : Not considering any new features for U75 Interface work, just putting the train squarely on the tracks

Arenas : To revert to the original editor is easy, just open LAUNCH.CFG in notepad and change EditorNew.exe to Editor.exe

F l a t l a n d e r : I agree that the interface should not really touch the SETUP.INI. I will see about removing this behaviour

bloody bamboo : Well found. To restore your interface, open REGEDIT and find CURRENT USER, then the SOFTWARE folder and delete the Synergy Editor folder inside that

pcRaider : Could you provide a step by step and screenshot showing the crash with BETA3, thanks. Anyone else getting this crash?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 23:44
A quick note, BETA5 will fix the bug causing all compiles of the Help Page examples to fail horribly. Apart from that, my own tests are going well with BETA4. Enjoy!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 00:49
Hi Lee,

Just installed Beta4. Launching the new editor for the first time modifies the compiler setup.ini. Subsequently running the editor after changing the setup file will leave it alone. The interesting point is that if I run the old editor after running the new one a subsequent number of times and then running the new editor will again modify the setup file.

Thanks for looking into it.

OliveTreeGames
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 00:57 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 00:58
Addendum:

I thought I had it figured on this "subsequent" thing. It seems the new editor will change the setup file every time you edit a new project. It always resets it back to the default. At least for the directives.

Sorry for the second post. I meant to have added this to the above post.

OliveTreeGames
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 01:27
Another issue to mention.

When you have huge files. Like working on one that is 50000 to 60000 lines, the highlighting is a little wacky; especially the farther into the file you are. It is sluggish on the horizontal cursor navigation.

OK I know I have nothing to talk about because my highlighting in FPI EditPad is wacky as well. I do realize that there is a lot of updating going on and that can slow things down a great deal. I don't know what language is used in coding the VB IDE but it is pretty fast. Mine is coded in VB6 and even though using APIs it still is sluggish.

I'm not really expecting this to be fixed soon (if at all) unless you have a brain-storm.

OliveTreeGames
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 04:32
Tested Beta3 & Beta 4, all problems with New Editor are fixed for me.
Loaded and compiled my latest project, worked great.
Nice job Lee!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 07:52
I am now using the new editor a lot more and will eventually wean myself off of the old editor. There are some great improvements over the old and the new is probably in someways not as "sluggish" as the old.

The only thing is that I need to always check to see if the setup.ini hasn't changed when I open up a project.

OliveTreeGames
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline

It crashes with 8 loops in the case of me.

And it is a crashes of flag=0 of get_image.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 22:46
Well been doing some checking and if I go back to 7.5 beta 2 my code compiles and runs fine.

However if I use beta 3 or beta 4 I get the ntdll.dll error and this stops every 7 seconds after my code tries to run, what even wireder is I do not even load this dll in my code.

have even tried compiling in the old editor just it case it was the new editor, but no it fails in that too.

My code loads the following dll
user32.dll
kernel32.dll
msvcrt.dll

The code I am compiling as not change much in over 3 years, but now it just does want to work above 7.5 beta 2.

other codes compiles and runs ok. so I'll be going back to 7.5 beta 2, but will try any other you release to see if it start to work again.

Cheers.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:04
Is it possible that one of the DLLs you do load requires also the ntdll.dll? I have DLLs that I have created that will then call another DLL. Just a thought.

OliveTreeGames
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 14:43 Edited at: 28th Jan 2010 14:44
Hi Lee,

Please, please fix that automatic (programmatic) change of the directives in the compiler setup file. It takes about 5 minutes to compile (maybe a little less) and if I forget to check out the setup file and change it back (at least it won't change back unless I re-open a project or start the editor afresh), then I get the "return" error and have to re-compile. A little frustrating.

OliveTreeGames
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2010 15:04
Some feedback:

pcRaider : Only interface fixes for U75. Watch out for U76 immediately following this process for issues relating to the engine and compiler

HowDo : When you start calling DLL's directly, the potential for disaster increases quite a lot. As you identified, it sounds like it does not relate to the interface. The only scenario that makes sense is that if the interface is corrupting some memory somewhere, and the NTDLL.DLL reacts to that, but finding this issue could be very difficult. I suggest removing your use of the DLL's one by one to see if they are indeed partially to blame, as I don't immediately see the connection.

F l a t l a n d e r : I just discovered that BETA4 still changes the SETUP.INI. Oops. I have modified the code further and BETA5 should leave the SETUP.INI alone now

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2010 18:33
That's OK Lee, I'm in a set routine now. I just save the setup file that I need just before I compile. Am looking forward to not having to worry about it, though.

OliveTreeGames
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2010 20:27 Edited at: 30th Jan 2010 07:59
Quote: "HowDo : When you start calling DLL's directly, the potential for disaster increases quite a lot. As you identified, it sounds like it does not relate to the interface. The only scenario that makes sense is that if the interface is corrupting some memory somewhere, and the NTDLL.DLL reacts to that, but finding this issue could be very difficult. I suggest removing your use of the DLL's one by one to see if they are indeed partially to blame, as I don't immediately see the connection."

Well I've managed to take away all but dll I need to talk the weather station and now all works again.

when you post the next update will give the old code a go, although I think I have over written it, oops, not to worry, think theres an old bak somewhere.

Edit

Well it seem that the problem is still there, my code runs for longer, but then this ntdll pops up and kills it, I am now only loading one dll and that so that it can talk to the device, this has work on ever update of DBPro until 7.5 beta 3 and beta 4.
I could send you a copy of the ntdll report but I don't know if that will help.

might try running the code if I can without the weather station dll just to see if its something other than loading a dll.

bloody bamboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2010 09:21
Hi,
When I try to compile and run in debbug mode or step-trough mode the compiler crashes.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 01:40 Edited at: 31st Jan 2010 17:51
A little strange behavior when pressing the F1 key. This may be something that you won't be able to track down because I can't give any exact steps to make it happen. It is inconsistent. Sometimes when the F1 key is pressed on a command it will show the last command that I had gotten help with. It seems to do this if I close the help tab by pressing <ESC> and then going to the next command. It hasn't done it yet if I leave the help tab open. However, if I leave the help tab open (this has been reported before) then it will not automatically go to the help tab after pressing F1 and I have to manually click on the help tab.

It may seem that this is a little nit-picky but just wanting to express some of the little bothersome things. Of course, one would eventually get used to them anyway if it were never fixed.

Addendum:

It is erratic but I believe if you play around with it for awhile you will notice the behavior of not always selecting the next command help. However, it is possible that I had changed an option that I am unaware of that effects the behavior of getting the correct command.

OliveTreeGames
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 13:11 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 13:12
IDE
I was going to make a white line.
I set a cursor and pushed enter key.
"ENDWHILE" was inserted, and a result is different in this.

Attachments

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 13:13 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 13:17
IDE
A missing icon "undo, redo"

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 13:15
Quote: "A missing icon "undo, redo" "

I agree, I miss them two as well, plus the memory buffer for the undo is not very big.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 13:46 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 13:57
IDE
International Support.
Support for Multibyte Character Sets (MBCS).
An MBCS file name and a folder name do not work.
oldEditor works.

Quote: "
MBCS characters in the environment
MBCS characters can appear in strings such as file and directory names.
"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5z097dxa(VS.80).aspx

I attach a sample.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 14:30
Quote: "A missing icon "undo, redo""
I would also like to see those on the tool bar. I'm not sure how big the buffer is but the redo/undo has not been behaving as I expected. I will try to be more specific but just haven't taken the time to write it down.

Quote: "I set a cursor and pushed enter key.
"ENDWHILE" was inserted, and a result is different in this."

pcRaider, Uncheck "Automatically inserting closing block statement" found in the Text Editor options.

Also, if you want this feature on then I believe you should place the text cursor at the end of the "color object" line and press enter. This should not effect the "automatic closing" of the block statement and create the blank line you are looking for.

OliveTreeGames
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 16:26 Edited at: 1st Feb 2010 17:59
user Edit
looks like the error was on my system, so I have found copy copy of windows sp3 and re run it, this look like it fixed it for me, so ignore the above as I dont think its to do with DBPro.

Enter the Cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
I was developing a screen saver and some how broke my debugger. When i ran this code it has been crashing on the load bitmap commands. After a few tests my debugger would no longer open. I thought i might post this here so you can incorperate the fix into the update.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 13:06 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 13:11
Old editor (editorU72) has IDE issue: some menu strings are missing.

screen is example, there is more missing strings. please re-check.

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 13:20 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 13:21
Although, LOL

Attachments

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 05:25
Congratulation to the staff for the updates.
Can be added to the editor color and font the following choices:

1) Bold
2) Italic
3) Underlined

This are the most used from coders.
Thx all.

The Power System Developer
MasterBowyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

I've noticed that when you use the Newton wrapper, the compiler crashes when in debug mode. I tested it on several of the Newton examples and my project. It gives out the dreaded "DBPCompiler.exe as had an error and must shut down...". If someone can fix this, that would be awesome...

Thanks
MasterBowyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, forgot, I'm using U.75, the standard DBpro online free distro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:36:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:36:08