Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mega Mash Mothers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 21:52 Edited at: 10th Jul 2010 02:49
Quote: "1) Do you like charging up smashes? This was introduced into Super Smash Brothers Melee and Brawl. Basically, if you smash an A attack, and hold A and the joystick in that position, the smash attack will charge, until it is released with full power. I personally don't like it, but if the majority wants it in this game, I will add it."

This is a must have. I actually just played the N64 version a couple weeks back, and it felt awful without being able to charge up the attacks.

Quote: "2) Underground attacks. Implement or not? : I was talking about this in the posting competition. Basically you can press A and B at the same time, and the player will then dig himself underground. You are able to move around underground, and with A you can attack from underground, and with B you can do an extra strong attack to players above you (even in the air), but you come out of the ground and need a little time to recover before you can move again. With Z you can just dig back up again."

This seems like something that would be harder to implement than it is worth.

I'll post some feedback on the new release in a bit.

Feedback edit:
-When an xbox controller is plugged in, the game crashes at start up without even giving an error
-With my Logitech controller plugged in, it doesn't show up with any controller name. When I try to change the control settings, it says joy hat 0,0 before I get the chance to press a button.
-When shield goes down to zero, it ends up covering the whole screen

Can't really comment on gameplay without AI or another player

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 07:46
No, yes, and keep it up, for you're doing a great job so far.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 15:32
I like the first one and do use it in brawl. if my opponent is in the air and coming down I'll stand there and charge. it seems to work for me.

I don't like the second one. just sounds to hard to use. like if I go into the ground and player 2 jumps me out immediately, whats the point? tho I'm not against it. and I do like the idea. but I think it will need some tuning.

yah. my forum name is misspelled. I was in a rush to get in. I'm going to go fix it tho.

lol. I"m glad your going to do this till it's done. like you said a lot of work has been put into it. plus it would make us all sad. and if you did I would go and eat your goats. nom nom nom nom...
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 15:44
what!? I can't just change my name? arrrrrrrrrr.... so how do I contact a mod?
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 23:45
i vote for yes, charging smashes!, the underground thing... well... maybe for one character, but not for all

hi
Double Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 21:34
I'm so glad you showed me the right way to post than kyou and view my artwork and game progress in double dimension if you want to or have the time.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=171512&b=8

Endurance Patience Thought Games are
Imagination experienced all around. and manipulated by an controller.
Double Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 21:39
Than you for helping me with showing me how to post if you
want to you can view some of my game artwork and model level
progress.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=171512&b=8

Endurance Patience Thought Games are
Imagination experienced all around. and manipulated by an controller.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 02:54 Edited at: 6th Apr 2011 11:50
Hello everyone!

Well, the holidays were really nice in Italy, we went to Perugia and were just in time for the yearly Umbria Jazz Festival! I saw some amazing things there... So I basically partied the whole night Then we went to the beach in 5 Terra for 3 days. I went cliff diving, and I also went snorkeling. And I got to work on my tan (or a sunburn, whatever you want to call it).

So I will include charging smashes, and I will implement the underground moves towards the end and see how you find it. If there is a lot if disagreement, I will take it out again

@ Jimpo

Thanks a lot for your feedback I will have to look into the xbox controller issue. It has happened to 3 people now

As to the logitech controller, It seems that hat 0 is being pushed north. Does the controller have a D-pad? I will code a small program to record movements of joysticks, and then make a small report so I can figure out what's wrong

@ Happy Cheesecake

Thanks

@ Sounthside Games

Noooo, not my goatz

Thanks

You will have to e-mail a moderator asking if he can take out the "n" in your name. They usually do

@ Double Dimension

Glad to help

~More to come

TheComet

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does the controller have a D-pad?"

Yeah, but it didn't let me enter in any controls. I've been using the xbox and logitech controllers to test multiple joysticks in my own project, and the controllers themselves work fine.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 17:52
sounds like you had fun! I just saw the U.S.S Alabama battle ship it was very cool! (and very warm. that ship had no ventilation.) but it's guns ware so cool. and big. was this a summer trip or a local event?

any who sounds like you made the right choice. eight years? yah. spread the work.

emailing now...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 00:49
Sorry, there has been a little problem with the e-mail address... Until I get it fixed, use my normal e-mail address :

Thanks

Yeah, it was a local event You saw the ship? Wow, that sounds cool

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 15:49
dude. it was awesome! whats cool tho is in world war 2 it did not receive any damage from the enemy. it never was hit. well, it was hit once. but a stray bullet from a plane.

I asked a guy. but he said it was to late to change my name D'X

any who back to mash mothers...

I definitely think you should make it so that people can add there own content. that way you won't have as much work to do.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 22:36
id suggest you work on your engine for now, like the menu, items, effect spawners and that sort of stuff, and then maybe some of us can make some new media or modify it

hi
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 00:56
Alright, thanks guys

Quote: "I asked a guy. but he said it was to late to change my name D'X"

Oh, that sucks Try complaining to another mod

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update!! I made another effect! I call it the distortion effect. It creates an expanding ring on the screen in which the screen bends, simulating a shock wave. And I am using only built in commands

I added the effect to Knucklefist's fire ball attack just for a demo, but it doesn't suit at all, so I'll take it away again Screenshots and videos below:

For some reason TGC thinks that my youtube video link has bad language in it, so I had to tinyURL it http://tinyurl.com/34gelm2

Enjoy ^^

TheComet

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 01:16
Are you using a matrix for that? Vertexdata? Looks good. You can probably get more speed and smoothness using a shader, but if it's fast enough then that's all cool.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 01:29
@ Dr Tank

Thanks

Yeah, I used Vertexdata I tried using Evolved's Refraction shader, but for such an effect I'd have to be able to render a normal map at real-time, which will suck the fps way down So if you have any suggestions, I'd much appreciate it

@ Southside games

Look at your name

TheComet

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 04:56
Hmm. I gather vertexdata is pretty speedy. You could use shader model 3 to do the same thing, but it's not so widely supported.

There will be other ways to do it, but all I can half think of right now are more complicated, and may actually work out to be slower.

I'd say stick with this. Watching the vid, the effect does look good, but I reckon with the same system and a bit of tweaking it could look a lot better.

Maybe you could make a code snippet of the effect, using a screenshot from your game or whatever as an example image to be distorted. I imagine per frame the vertex positions of a square mesh are updated, right? It might be fun for people to write different effects.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 15:42
1 YES! they fixed it! X,D lol.

useless fact. your last reply was my 200th email! woot!

back to mash mothers...

nice effect!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 02:25
Really cool ripple effect! I guess you could create a lot of cool effects with that plain.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 23:40
@ Dr Tank

Thanks

Yeah, Vertex Data is REALLY fast, but I see that it has a certain limit on how accurate you can distort the picture... I think I will add a setting so you can set what dimensions the vertex plain can have. Only problem is, I don't know how to create a mesh grid using DBP commands...

I thought about releasing the code, but I think I'll wait a little until it's fine tuned

@ Southside Games

I congratulate you for your 200th e-mail!

@ zzz

Thanks a lot! I hope to use the plain as much as possible to make the game an enjoyable experience

Updates on me are : I got SC2 and am playing that now.

Updates on Mega Mash Mothers are very slim, progress is creeping forward slower than a snail, but I managed to code a little more on the menu. Here is a small "test" version of the character menu:

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 21:15
1 cool. you updated your banner for mash mothers!

2: sadly I had to reformat my computer. I saved all my dark basic stuff. but updating it to the current version seems to be more work than it's worth. but I lost C shop 4 in the format. but I'm re downloading it now. I've got some great ideas for maps. hope to post em soon. but I thought them up as I was trying to sleep. and as we all know thats when our best work tends to come out. I hope to post my maps soon. but I won't release em till they look great.

but I will give you the names I thought of for em

frostbite (or red snow. dono yet. vote if you will)

zero hour

mass G

uncovered

why am I posting this? dono. guess I'm too exited for my own good.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 23:20
@Southside Games

Ah, that sucks with your computer... I know exactly what you mean I thought reformatting your computer takes about 5 hours or something, but it took me 1 and a half days in the end

Those maps sound awesome! I will really be looking forward to your work, especially "frostbite" It sounds so mystical Please keep in mind to take all the time you need, and only post the map when you truly feel it is finished and ready

Also, it might be a good idea to get in contact with skype Here's my username : The__Comet (notice the two bottom lines)

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 14:18 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 14:27
hey. comet. do you have dark physics? I would like to add a water fall to frostbite, and would like to know if you can add a particle emitter, or if I should make an object in the shape that you can scroll.

oh. and frostbite is almost done. the layout is finished. now I'm just adding scenery, finding music, the background ect.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 22:46 Edited at: 14th Oct 2010 22:46
Well, it's been a long time, but I was finally able to work on this game a little again

First of all I'd like to say that my inner motivation for this project is still perfectly in tact, and I am committed to finishing Mega Mash Mothers. This also happens to be the longest time I have spent on a single project, and the most motivated I've been on a project.

Now to the updates! I'm not sure how I should post this, because I've made many little updates on many different places. So here it goes:

1. Blur bug

Thanks a lot to the forum for helping me out with solving the blur bug I had on the subdivided plain that causes the distortion effect The plain was causing the game to be blurry, so I disabled the filter for it, but only caused a weird seam on the object. Later on it turned out that the pixels are actually rendered centered, so the top left quarter of the screen was shifted down-right by one pixel, which made the pixels in the center of the screen disappear. The solution was to shift the object up-left by half a pixel.

2. Fireball bounce

I love vectors now I finally implemented a correct bounce-in bounce-out collision system for the fireball so they bounce off surfaces correctly.

3. Distortion tweaked

The distortion effect has been tweaked to look it's best. Effect has been slowed down as many asked for, and the restore time of the vertices has been extended. Here are the results:

4. A new level! "Frostbite"

A huge thanks to Southside games, who has brought in yet another level into Mega Mash Mothers! This level is called "frostbite", and is located in the middle of the snowy mountains. Planned is a waterfall flowing down on the left (where the blue light is). This map is by far the biggest in the current collection, so I can't wait to get 10 players fighting to their doom on it!

5. Lightmaps

Another big thanks to the TGC forums for making this update possible Lightmaps work now in Mega Mash Mothers, and should make the playing environment nicer to play in. I can't post pictures of it, because Frostbite's lightmap is still being optimized, and no other level has it's lights permanently set yet.

And that's about it! More to come!

TheComet

hiyatran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2010 22:20
I think the game is really cool, I end up watching all your youtube videos.
gr8 work

<a href="http://ottawa.snooples.com">Snooples</a>
Ranko
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello TheComet,

I have tried your demo on a eee pc 900 (1ghz, 1go ddram, 64mo Vram)

Your game runs well and the character is easy to move but there is no single player mod as i have understood ?

Your "mario" character is really well animated. I like it !

I have a question please : what do you use to make the character grab ledges ? I'm not coding in DarkBasic at the moment but i wonder how you can do this effect in DarkBasic.

Thanks
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 10:01
@ Ranko

Hey Thanks for trying the demo, I'm glad it worked on a PC with such low specs!

Unfortunately, the single player mode is not coded yet, right now only multiplayer mode is activated, because the game engine is not yet complete

The way hanging on edges works here, is the animation does all of the movement, and the actual position of the character is fixed. Everywhere where the player can hang on to, I placed hidden plain objects, which the player can collide with. If the hand limbs of the player collide with the plain, I position the player at the point of collision. In the following image, you can see that the hands are at point 0,0,0:

So if you were to position the player at the point of collision with that frame, it would look like it would be hanging. Then I just play an animation which makes the player swing up from the edge, and position it accordingly after the animation is complete. Note that the character always stays at the collision point. Hope that explains what you needed

Quote: "Your "mario" character is really well animated. I like it !"

Thanks!

TheComet

Ranko
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so the "hidden plain objects" are like collision boxes ?

I know this technique. I'm coding a 3d platform game too and i'm not using the same technique, each loop, i "pick" ahead of where the player is going and depending on the Player Y position and the "picked" Normal i know if it's a ledge and if Player can grad it or not.

Can you do this in darkbasic ? Is there a "pick" command.

I use the same technique for the animation too, the Player pivot is not moving, only the mesh is animated.

Thanks,
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 00:52
@Ranko:

There is indeed a pick object command. Example:

I dunno how one could use it like you're describing...but it's probably possible in some form or another.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 21:14
Quote: "Ok so the "hidden plain objects" are like collision boxes ?"

Almost, they use polygon collision. I'm not sure how to solve the pick object problem, maybe post a post on the DBP board would help

Updates

5 new animations. The down-air-a was animated by The Crazy as well. These animations all originate from the original game. The dair, uair, lair, bair and nair (or something like that). Basically just the smashless a-attacks performed in mid air. I would have posted a video, since you see so much more, but I am having serious problems with Windows movie maker, and can't save any videos...

Frostbite is also fully integrated, but I would like to show a video of it.

~More to come

TheComet

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2010 21:19
Your adjusted distortion effect looks pretty sexy.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2010 00:14
Looking great so far, TheComet . I look forward to seeing more.

And wow, Knucklefist doesn't mess around! He's got spiked shoes, ammunition, rage and a cigar. What does he do with the bullets though? Maybe he can shoot them with his cigar somehow? Or are they just there for the purposes of intimidation

Anyway keep up the good work!

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2010 00:24 Edited at: 11th Nov 2010 00:25
Yeah, he looks so evil now, great!
I guess he's a Vietnam veteran or something!
But then who knows what this 'shroom eating plumber has been up to before he went out to save this Peach chick...

Well done, your artwork really has this classic N64 style to it.

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2010 02:18 Edited at: 11th Nov 2010 02:19
"It'sa me, Knucklefist! Wahoo, now you die!"
So he has no trouble smoking a cigar while doing some kind of back-flip-jump-kick? Awesome.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 22:09 Edited at: 14th Nov 2010 22:11
@ Dr Tank - Thanks!

@ Sixty Squares - Glad you like the new textures I'm not sure what I should do with the ammunition, so for now I think it is just for the purposes of intimidation

@ zzz - hehe xD Now you should become the voice actor for him! Just kidding, thanks!

@ all

Well, I'm running short on ideas for his attacks... Here's the list of Knucklefist's attack animations:

A base rule I set is a-attacks are for normal attacks (kicking + punching), and b-attacks are special attacks (kicking, punching, magic, psychic, transformations etc.)

Any advice for some new awesome moves is greatly appreciated!

===========================================================================

I am looking for some good background images for the following levels. They must be pretty high in resolution, approximately 1280x768. Bigger is better in this case.

A nice forest setting, sun high in the sky, must fit with the overall color of the level. The forest must be distant, and the sky visible.

Another forest setting, this time it must be as green as possible with as many plants as possible. You have to get the feeling that you are high of the ground.

A more darker setting. It has to remain in the background, so not too much color, but yet has to be chaotic in a way. Must give the player a feeling of darkness.

Ah yes, an oil platform in a bay leading out into the ocean. The water is dirty, oily, and so is the rest of the scene. It is a very cloudy day, rain is sure to come. Must give a feeling of the docklands.

A fiery volcano setting. It is night, a dark sky, and lots of red lava from a huge, distant volcano, running down in a fiery stream.

Any submissions are greatly appreciated, and are rewarded with an honorable place in the credits

TheComet

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 22:30
I like the distinct level design, pretty cool!

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 16:57
bluff? you can bluff? cool.
maybe he could take a shell. put it in front if his cager, and it would fire? could be a special move.

do you mind if the images are from real life? cause if so I could get you a forest in like 5 minutes.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 17:56 Edited at: 15th Nov 2010 17:57
@ bergice - Thanks! Yeah, there's a lot of inspiration from the good old days with the N64

@ Southside Games - Don't know if "bluff" was the correct word there, it's more like a taunt move (Is that the same thing? I'm confuzzled now). Sure, I'd love some forest pictures if that's possible! Although I would rather have the background images look cartoonish in a way, just like in Conker's Bad Fur Day. But maybe I could alter the image a little to make it look that way... Let's give it a try

Quote: "maybe he could take a shell. put it in front if his cager, and it would fire? could be a special move."

Sounds cool! I'll try it as soon as I get some time

I'll soon be getting a new rig, here are the specs:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 black edition @ 3.2 GHz, overclockable up to 5 GHz
GPU - nVidia GTX 580
RAM - DDR3 @1666 MHz, overclockable
PSU - 650 W
Cooler - corsair h50
mainboard - no idea, I'll edit this when I know...

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
You're making a lot of progress, gets cooler every time.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 05:24
when you said bluff i was thinking of like bluffing in poker. to trick your foe into doing something to give you a shot. so yah. taunt and bluff are deferent.

ok. I think I have an effect to make it look like a cartoon. I'll take a photo, then run it thru the filters, then send it to you
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 13:17
@ Ashingda 27 - Thanks!

@ Southside Games - Ah, I thought it had a different meaning... Weird that me and my friends got used to calling it "bluffing"

Sure, sounds good

TheComet

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 16:47
one question, 'Nintendo' is aware you're using mario?

[img][/img]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 22:24
Quote: "one question, 'Nintendo' is aware you're using mario?"

Nah, they have no idea Anyway, if they would know, they can't sue me, because it isn't really mario... I created him from scratch, and he has some minor changes like the ammo belt, cigar, spikes on shoes and knuckles etc, so I am not really violating any rights

I'm happy though that you are having some concerns, and it is possible that mewtwo is too original at the moment.

TheComet

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 23:08
ah never mind, let's use all the original cast, and fu*k Nintendo!!!!

[img][/img]
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 01:45
How's progress doing, TheComet?
Allways liked platformer games like Super Mario. In fact, I'm making one of my own.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:51
Hi thecommet

This is a great looking game.

I've not been able to download the demo yet (for some reason things are going slow my end) but it looks really good.

I've replied to your post on the game design theory board with some ideas for attacks. I don't know if you can use them but I hope it gives you some inspiration.

Keep up the good work.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 04:35
I think mew two needs a new look. like you said he looks to much like nintendos. try to put him in the same boat with knuckles. like give him red glowing eyes and such.

I was thinking that you should add medals. like most deaths. least deaths. most time spent in the air. most time standing still. covered most ground, ect. and at the end of the game it would award em.

you could also have a time chart to keep track of how well/bad players did in the game with 3 charts.

kills
deaths
and then a k/d spread. where you would subtract deaths from kills. so players could see how well they did at points in the game. like every time they got a kill, it would go up one. but when they died it would go down one. so if you get 6 kills at the start then die 2 times the dot would be at 4 units high. you get the picture.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2010 13:21
@ The Slayer - Thanks! Good luck with your platformer!

@ 29 games - Thanks for your reply, I feel inspired by several things you said!

@ Southside Games - Good idea, I'll see what I can do. Red eyes sounds cool

@ Everyone

A huge thanks to Neodelito for adding another character to this game! x-D I must admit, he is certainly among the best character modelers I've come across, and the textures he makes are insane He is known very well for amazing models with low poly count. Let me introduce you to... Bigtoes!

Does anyone know how to convert ms3d to cfx? (milkshape to CharacterFX). I've tried google, but I could not find anything, even though the two formats are quite similar... If I can't find a way to convert, I'll have to re-rig the whole model again in CFX...

Also, what size do you think Bigtoes should have? I was thinking a little bigger than Knucklefist, but lets see what you think. Here are two pictures with him next to Knucklefist with different sizes:

Bigger:

Smaller:

TheComet

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 05:30
*looks at new character* awww yaaaaaaa! can't wait to try him!

I think he should be a little bigger. and his attacks should be close range. like his kick would be big. he should be kind of fast too.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 08:13
cfx accepts m3d text format. so you export it to .txt then import it. should have anims, although i would recommend you skin first the model in m3d. something wierd happens if you first animate it then export it, then skin it. oh well, good luck.

hi

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:08:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:08:35