Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [x9] Seclusion WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 23:03
Anayar mate did you actually read what I wrote ?? lol

I know it is not hard and state as such, but point out not easy for bruce at present.
Quote: "All easy to do, but not for you at present."

Plus I already stated you just alter the Y-axis of the floor/ceiling in the post that my last one relates to.

You do not create a half height tileable texture though, as you are now dealing with a 1.5x height segment split into two parts as such.
So your actually dealing with a 1/3 texture for the half height segment and the other 2/3 are on the full height segment as such.

Plus the halfheight segment will really need to be 2 halfs in one if you still want to keep the normal thickness floors etc, as the top of one half will be the bottom of the floor above and so on.

Also you need to take note of any collision and gfx (culling?) errors that May? result from straying from FPSC's grid system using half height floors etc. Most times your fine, but FPSC can be a fussy little thing at times.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 23:46 Edited at: 6th Sep 2010 23:55
Thanks guys, but after reading your posts, I would rather not start fiddling around with segment heights.

As Nbt quite rightly pointed out, it is beyond my current skills at the moment.

Until my skills improve, I think I will stick with the top floor layout as it is. I know it looks a bit cramped, but I can always justify it in-game, by saying that the top floor was added as an after thought by the Facility Administrators to accomodate the office!!

After all, in real life such additions to old buildings are often the result of compromises. If have ever watched 'Grand Designs' on Channel 4 in Britain, you'll know exactly what I mean!

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 02:52 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 02:58
Quote: "You do not create a half height tileable texture though, as you are now dealing with a 1.5x height segment split into two parts as such.
So your actually dealing with a 1/3 texture for the half height segment and the other 2/3 are on the full height segment as such.
"

Oh, thats what you meant... i was simply thinking along the lines of using the half wall mesh that comes with fpsc . There really isnt any need to go so complicated. But the half hight tileable texture i was talking about is a texture that matches with the full height wall, but then it needs to tile too.

Sorry if I sound a bit confusing, Im just not sure how to explain what i have in mind...

Good Luck with whatever you decide Bruce

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 16:25
If it was simply a case of using half height wall segments, with meshes and textures to match, I would do it.

But if it involves a lot of fiddling about re-making stuff or fiddling with numbers, I'll pass on it!

If I'm honest, I have to admit, that I lot of the time I feel like I'm struggling in the dark. You may have noticed by now ( ), that I tend to struggle with even the simplest of things, and I'm constantly having to shout out for help!

Right now, for the first time in a couple of weeks, I'm on a roll. Im making good progress on level 3, and I really don't want to break that momentum by starting to fiddle with stuff that I don't really need to start fiddling with!

Thanks anyway for the offers of help, as usual I really appreciate it, but on this occasion I feal that I'm going to have to decline.

I game therefore I am.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 16:35 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 16:36
Wow!!This is turning out pretty well!! GOOD JOB Bruce!

Abdul Ahad
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 16:40
Thanks!! I must admit, I'm quite pleased with the way it's turned out myself, especially after all the little problems I've had with it!!

I game therefore I am.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 17:01
Can we chat on msn or skype?

Abdul Ahad
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 17:07
Yes, no problem, I've just signed in and eccepted you friend request

I game therefore I am.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 17:16
Why can't i see you online?

Abdul Ahad
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 17:44
I was online, don't know why you couldn't see me :S Anyway, email me so that I don't get people complaining about me keeping my WIP at the top, or saying I'm using this as a messenger service!

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 22:33
Hey stop using this as an MSN service

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 22:49
Thanks Nbt I know I can always rely on you to set me straight heh heh

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 00:13
Small update. I'm currently about two thirds the way through building level 3, not including entities.

Level 3 is a military barracks level and I'm struggling to find some good entities to use in it, which will fit in with the overall look of the level (I'm using stock sci-fi miltary base and armoury segments).

I'm trying to find some good, free entities for a restroom/toilet/shower block (I can't afford to buy model pack 2) and a canteen with sci-fi style food vending/serving facilities.

Does anyone know where I can get some usefull entities for these? I've tried searching the forums, but haven't found anything suitable.

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 23:32
Doesn't anyone know where I can get some good free media for the things I mentioned in my previous post?

Anyway, here's another update. I'm nearing completion of level 3. I just need to place light markers in the dormitory area, then, if I can find some media, I'll then finish off the restrooms and food/drink serving area in the canteen.

In the meantime, here is a couple of screenshots of level 3.

This is the canteen, the area begind the doors and windows is the food/drinks serving area which I need media for.

This area is the armoury/shooting range. I used heltor's rotating targets and scripts for this.

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 01:15 Edited at: 14th Sep 2010 01:16
Quote: "Doesn't anyone know where I can get some good free media for the things I mentioned in my previous post?"

I'll make them for you , right after the chopper is done (which is turning into kind of a disaster to texture ).

I like the screenshots, but one thing I hate is the floating weapons. Fix that and ill be happy

Cheers,
Anayar

EDIT:
Quote: "restroom/toilet/shower block"

Cheesecake has some real good bathroom stuff. Try searching for it

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 02:41 Edited at: 14th Sep 2010 02:55
Quote: "I'll make them for you , right after the chopper is done (which is turning into kind of a disaster to texture ).
"

Thanks Anayar, that would be a great help. As for the chopper, take as long as you need, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Quote: "one thing I hate is the floating weapons. Fix that and ill be happy"

Done! It was easier than I first thought it would be! I just swapped weaponglow.fpi and ammoglow.fpi for weapon.fpi and ammo.fpi! I just love it when things are nice and simple lol

Quote: "Cheesecake has some real good bathroom stuff. Try searching for it"

I've tried searching for bathroom stuff, but I couldn't find anything suitable. Cheesecake's name doesn't come up when I search either

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 05:13
Quote: "Cheesecake's name doesn't come up when I search either "

Maybe it was before your time here... I dont know. I can send you the files tomorrow (I wont be in front of my pc for the rest of the day ). Which address should I send it to??

The chopper's UV Map got screwed up, so i have to go and reqroup all the major parts or else i get texture overlapping which sucks! Anyways, enough about my problems, glad to see youve fixed yours (I bet it looks much more realistic now ).

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 06:11
I'll send you an email from my personal email so you can reply to it

Yes, the pickups look a lot better now they're not floating around, now I just got to go back and change them in the 2 levels I've completed!

In future I'll just use the floating pickups in multiplayer maps (I've already got a couple in the pipeline).

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 06:58
I've just found something really weird in one of my levels!

After reading some advice written by Lee, about keeping level memory usage down, I went through my levels and changed all my entities to dynamic mode with 'isimmobile' set to yes.

The good thing was that it reduced the memory usage for each level by about 200mb and also raised my framerate by about 10fps! The weird thing was that it caused some odd clipping issues!

For example, in my first level, I have some underground corridors, running underneath some trees that are above ground. Where the trees had been positioned directly over one of the corridors, after changing the trees to dynamic mode, it had created 'invisible barriers' in the corridors beneath them!

I had to move the trees so that they weren't directly above any of the underground corridors.

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 15:04
Dynamic entities tend to use box collision, so not a good idea on anything like a tree, as the box extents will be taken from the widest parts. So the collision box is being the width of the leafy top and not the trunk.

Only way round that really is to either split the tree in two parts trunk and leaf top, or an easier way would be to make some invisible box entities the size of the tree trunks and place them under each tree, then set the tree's themselves with no collision at all.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 17:41
Thanks for the tip as ever Nbt But I think I'll just stick with the easy option, i.e. don't place trees directly above underground corridors!!

I game therefore I am.
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep up a good work

Hello
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 13:24 Edited at: 17th Sep 2010 13:24
This is turning out great!!! I just love the complexity in the screenshots!!

Abdul Ahad
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 19:00
Wow! Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote: "Keep up a good work"

I'll try, thanks!

Quote: "This is turning out great!!! I just love the complexity in the screenshots!!"

Thanks! I've been trying to get the right balance between not having my levels too empty, but at the same time, not too cluttered. I guess I must be getting somewhere close to achieving that!

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 18:23
Bump; I've updated the first post to reflect the progress that has been made with the game so far, and to give a bit more information about the game itself.

There are also some up to date screenshots in the first post, of the 3 levels I have completed so far.

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 21:46
Quote: "Please also note, no Zombies were harmed/will be harmed during the making of this game, Zombies have rights too!!"

LOLed at that!! Anyways good to see that youre making good progress on this. Hope to see part1 finished soon

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 22:50
Thanks Anayar! Unfortunately I'm not able to give any kind of estimate on completion date for part 1; to quote a famous games industry studio; it will be "Done When It's Done" lol.

All I will say is this; I feel good about the progress I am making with this. I'm even starting to get some idea of how I am going to pull it all together into a playable game. I'm determined not to let this go the way of so many other first-time projects. It will be finished, of that I am certain

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 01:19
I'm currently making one of the critical sections of level 4, however, I need some advice/moral guidance on whether to continue with it as it stands or change it.

Here are a couple of screenshots for the section I am currently working on.

As you can see, it involves an execution chamber with a body being burnt in a furnace.

I don't want to offend anybody with this. So my question is this, do I leave this section out of my game, change it, or give my game an 'M' rating?

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 05:53
Quote: "As you can see, it involves an execution chamber with a body being burnt in a furnace.

I don't want to offend anybody with this. So my question is this, do I leave this section out of my game, change it, or give my game an 'M' rating?"

LOL, if youre worrying about that Bruce, I think you think too much ...You see, even if your game has a tiny bit of blood, or bloody images then BAM! its M...

Anyways, most FPSC games are M, so you wouldnt be sticking out in any way! And im sure if a minor try's to play it, their parents (if they are anything like mine were), will immediatly stop them

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 18:18 Edited at: 25th Sep 2010 18:20
Thanks Anayar!

I've tweaked that scene slightly since my last post, I put more fire decals in the furnace, so the body isn't as visible as it was.

I also stacked a flickering dynamic light on top of an orange static light, so I get the glow inside the furnace itself, with a flickering light to give the flames a bit more life so to speak.

I used grey lights to light the whole of the level, to keep the level quite dark and so the bloom isn't so painfull on the eyes.

This is in keeping with the idea that as you go deeper into the underground facility, the levels gradually get darker and 'grungier'.

I've now finished levels 1-4 and I'm currently working on level 5, which will be a maintenance/sewer level.

However, at the moment I'm struggling to find some inspiration for it. I don't want it to just be a flat level like the other 4. I want to build 'sub levels' with service pipes, machinery, sewer tunnels, access ladders and gantries etc etc.

Once all 5 levels are built, I need to either find, or learn to make, some scientists, maintenance staff and communications workers characters.

Last of all, I need to find some willing voice actors to read lines from the script that I have been writing in between level building.

And all that's just for the first episode of the Trilogy lol!

I game therefore I am.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Seclusion, wow, you growed even more than me in these months!

now, drop Stock media, learn to model animate or texture

and then, bam, super awesome game xD

nah, but really, your rooms prooves that stock media can be used right to acomplish more than what they were intended to

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 18:41
Quote: "Seclusion, wow, you growed even more than me in these months!

now, drop Stock media, learn to model animate or texture

and then, bam, super awesome game xD

nah, but really, your rooms prooves that stock media can be used right to acomplish more than what they were intended to"

Thanks!

To be honest, I have a very simple philosophy about using stock media; "It's good quality, it's there to be used, so why not use it?".

On the other hand, I do agree that in order to make a game stand out from the rest, you need to use custom media as well, to give the game a unique look to it.

I have tried to find a good balance between stock and custom media, so to receive comments like yours, suggests that maybe I'm getting close to achieving this.

As far as learning to model myself goes, at some point I am going to have to anyway, as I still need custom characters for the game!

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 18:46
Get the character MP's Bruce... They are a godsend !

I want to get into characters so I might be able help you, but I don't want to make promises I can't keep (especially since the chopper and scifi stuff isn't done... Though I hope you know why). Maybe in a few weeks after work dies down shoot me an email??
Hope to see some new screens soon

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 18:48
Double post: I also think you should retexture the body to look burnt, since ATM it looks way too clean for a dead, burning body...

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 19:11 Edited at: 25th Sep 2010 19:13
Yes, the character packs are excellent aren't they?! Unfortunately, our household budget won't stretch far enough to allow me to buy any more than I already have. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Anyway, thanks once again for your offer of help Anayar! Because I'm also aware of your own situation, I will hold off for as long as possible before taking you up on it. Even then I will only do so if I really feel I'm unable to make the characters for myself

(Edit) I've just spotted your 2nd post! Yes, I agree about the dead body, I'll have a look into retexturing it like you suggested

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 03:47 Edited at: 27th Sep 2010 19:15
Just a small update, I changed the 'body in the furnace' scene again, it now uses Cosmic Prophet's 'Hell House' corpse model, which looks a lot better than the stock corpse, I also scaled up the flames in the furnace so they look more 'industrial'!.

I had a brainstorming session for level 5 and now I've got a good idea of how I want it to look. I'm quite happy with what I've done so far. I'm using Nbt's excellent Sewers Pack.

Here's some screenies of level 5 so far. I had to edit the screenshots in Paint.net to brighten them up a bit, because level 5 is quite dark. Unfortunately, in brightening the screenies up, you can no longer see the lighting I put in the level

This is the generator room, at the end is the stairway which leads down to the sewer entrance.

This is the main sewer area. It will act like the stairwell in the previous levels, in that it will be a 'hub' which the player has to return to, to progress to the next sections of the sewers.

Although the maintenance/sewer section will only take up 1 level in the game, there will be a number of 'sub-levels' within the geometry of the game level.

Sorry, that last sentence made much more sense in my head lol.

Anyway, I'm getting quite excited about this game now, I'm getting to a stage now where I can see the finishing line, even though there is still quite a way to go!

[Edit] I've changed my plans for the sewer section of level 5. It will no longer be based around a central 'hub', as I didn't think it would work very well having two such hubs (the other being the main stairwell) in the game.

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 19:24
Your doing well Bruce, I like the generator room screeny, can't say the same for the sewer one, as that sewer pack was made by a complete idiot IMHO

Glad you found Cosmics excellent pack(s), he really does make some great stuff and if your a good boy I will buy you his up coming character pack, which would go well with your game.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 19:27
Sorry for the triple post, I hate doing it, but editing doesn't always get the right point across.

Anyway, I'm well on the way to completing level 5, after which it is a question of pulling it all together to make a playable game.

At this late(ish) stage in development, I made the decision not to release any kind of demo. The only releases will be as each episode is fully completed. In-game testing will be done by myself and maybe 1 other person outside of these forums.

I don't mean any disrespect to the forum, it's a great community, but I feel that when I release my game episodes, I want the story and gameplay to be a surprise. For the same reason, I have deliberately been very choosy about which screenshots I show so that I don't reveal too much about the game.

I game therefore I am.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 05:45
This just keeps getting better and better.

Plus I respect your decision. Looking forward to the end product!

Abdul Ahad
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 15:01
Quote: "can't say the same for the sewer one, as that sewer pack was made by a complete idiot IMHO"

Made my day

Check for pure horror.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 16:58 Edited at: 28th Sep 2010 17:14
Thanks for the comments as usual guys!

@Nbt; Thanks! I'll try to behave Since those screenies were taken, the generator room has had a lotmore done to it, it now has more of a 'maintenance/generator room' feel to it with the extra entities I've put in.

I've downloaded all of CP's packs from FPS Media, I aim to be using a lot more of them in episodes 2 & 3.

As for the sewers; don't talk so daft man! That pack has been a godsend, level 5 wouldn't have happened without it

Now I just need to find a way to justify facility guards being down in the sewers for the climactic battle sequence, any ideas?

[Edit] Forgot to say, when the episodes are eventually released, they will be protected by Vishnu Packer and Vishnu Lock, I've already made a single level MP game with them and they really are excellent little utilities, I'm maybe a bit behind the times, but I whole-heartedly recommend them!

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 19:00 Edited at: 28th Sep 2010 19:01
Quote: "Now I just need to find a way to justify facility guards being down in the sewers for the climactic battle sequence, any ideas?"

Well maybe your trying to plant/diffuse?? a bomb in the foundations of the building(s) above and they are looking for you?

Or there is a secret vault down their you wish to gain entry into, to confront the main boss and they are his elite guards?

Or The guards were kidnapped by a small force or turtles and dragged down there and you just so happened to come upon them sudden like, whilst trying out your new "Big Boys Waterproof Flashlight Kit" down there ??

p.s. Yes Vishnu is an absolute godsend IMHO and I use it for just about anything and everything

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 20:24 Edited at: 28th Sep 2010 20:29
Quote: "Or there is a secret vault down their you wish to gain entry into, to confront the main boss and they are his elite guards?"

That's actually quite close to what I've been thinking myself. Instead of a vault, the player will be looking for an entrance to the 2nd half of the underground complex, where a big chunk of the story will be revealed in Episode 2.

The next problem is whether to have a 'boss character' or just have plenty of elite guards trying to prevent access to the entrance.

Hmmm, another brainstorming session is called for me thinks lol.

P.S. I'm using the single door trap door as both the entrance to the sewers and also the entrance from the sewers to the 2nd half of the facility. The trap door which leads down into the sewers works fine, but I'm having a small problem with the trap door which leads up out of the sewers. When I approach it from beneath, I am able to walk right through it as there is no clipping on it. Is there any way I can edit it so that there is clipping in both directions?

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 21:11
Quote: "The next problem is whether to have a 'boss character' or just have plenty of elite guards trying to prevent access to the entrance."

How about a Crocodile :-P??

Anyways, jokes aside, I never liked seeing a boss character in an FPS... maybe it was cool to fight one on the N64, but nowadays I havent seen many FPS's that have Boss Characters. Maybe throw an insane amount of guards down there and have them respawn multiple times to challenge the player??

Cheers,
Anayar

Offtopic:
Quote: "as that sewer pack was made by a complete idiot IMHO"

I know... dont you just want to kill that guy??

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 21:20
Quote: "as that sewer pack was made by a complete idiot IMHO"

LOL!!

I'll see what I can do with that guy!

Abdul Ahad
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 21:57
Bruce: I sent you a few links you may find useful... check your email

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 22:19 Edited at: 28th Sep 2010 22:20
Quote: "When I approach it from beneath, I am able to walk right through it as there is no clipping on it. Is there any way I can edit it so that there is clipping in both directions?"

Very strange as it always worked fine from both sides before, but I made it using v1.15 and the latest builds of FPSC are doing a few strange things it never did before regarding doors etc.

Setting the trapdoor to use autodoor.fpi as it's AI script may be an idea, as then it would open before you got close to it and the clipping issue would not matter.

Quote: "I'll see what I can do with that guy!"

Yeah give him a slap upside the head for me

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 22:26
Thanks Nbt, I'll do that.

After reading that post, I was just thinking about the gameplay mechanics of having that trap door 'auto open' when aproached from beneath. I realised it wouldn't matter, as aproaching it from beneath, you would automatically push it open anyway, as opposed to aproaching it from above where you would need to crouch down and pull it open.

I game therefore I am.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 02:19
Hey Bruce, I had some free time today, so thought id get started on that canteen you had needed a while back... I scrapped the chopper because it was waay to high poly and the texture maps were turning out awful

Anyways, thought id post a screeny here for you to see...

Model: Canteen
Time Spent: 15 min.
Progress: Laying down base colors
Screeny:

Thisll be all I can do today, so if you want me to change anything let me know

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 03:26
looks fine so far, thanks anayar!

Don't worry about having to scrap the chopper, thinking about it now, it probably wouldn't have fit in with the first level anyway, thanks for trying to make it for me anyway

I game therefore I am.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:17:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:17:17