Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / LRMod by DarkGoblin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 19:20
Very nice, Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the finished product.
Upgraded my video cards and I can now enjoys these fully. Thanks

Nothing but coffee in my veins 'Insomnia is Coming'
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
It's nice.
But here is a problem:
The shadows have a little distant with models.

It's better to tell you the problems now before any release.

It's really great,I know lots of game engines have this kind of shadows and FPSC really needs this.

@Dark goblin:Check your Mail please.

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Have our guns:
That "distance" are artefacts caused by the renderer, which are also in some current AAA Engines (like Source --> Portal 2).
I minimized these artefacts to a minimum, but there is no way to get rid of them completly.

Dan121
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 16:32 Edited at: 20th May 2011 20:32
Will this mod be integrated into the final v18 update or be seperate to it?
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
It will be seperate.
But I will update it with the latest FPSC Version after the Mods release.

I don't want someone to put it into normal FPSC. This would first not pass the performance check for every system (don't know if there is one but I think it is) and secondly it's better if it stays as Mod as I don't want the source code to be open for everyone.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2011 02:52
Any updates on the progress so far?
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Ehm yeah...

Today I fixed a bug preventing me to continue my work on the Mod.
But everything is good and new features are on their way (or in my head).
Will start implementing them soon. Stay tuned!

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys.
I created a new video showing of the latest additions to the Mod.

Leave a comment ;D

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2011 17:40 Edited at: 23rd May 2011 17:40
Those are some amazing additions!
The physics course was a really clever way of showing the shadows!

Great work! I can't wait for more

Mental Stability is over-rated!
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
The features are great but:
In 1:03 you can see each floor segment has a different ambient.
And in 0:58-1:00 the switch shadow flickers.

And your voice is very nice for speech

I am PaYaM
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In 1:03 you can see each floor segment has a different ambient."

That's just the segment, nothing more It has nothing to do with the lighting.

Quote: "And in 0:58-1:00 the switch shadow flickers."

Well, thats because of the "small" switch. That's common in some AAA titles too. Nothing I can do about that ^^

Akanto10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 06:20 Edited at: 24th May 2011 06:20
Simply amazing DG!

Keep up the excellent work,
Akanto

I believe I should put a smart comment here, but I wouldn't have time to think about it.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work DG! Keep this up!

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 09:09
Nice advancements. These make a world of difference in realism. The moving light and shadows are fantastic at the end. Keep up the great work. Finally updated my video card so I can enjoy these features. Thanks.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 23:10
This is shaping up to be an amazing mod. It's made all the better by the way you say "activated". Please, in your next video, can you repeat it over and over again just for my auditory pleasure?

I'm only joking. The lightrays look fantastic and so do the moving lights. And the flashlight is also brilliant.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Please, in your next video, can you repeat it over and over again just for my auditory pleasure?"

hm... ^^
Maybe there will be something just for you xD

@all:
Thanks for the nice comments. I have to take 1-2 days off, as I have to do some work for school (the last tests will be done soon --> more time for the mod than).
Will keep you updated if something changes (and my recording software will be "activated") xD

VaMpIr3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 01:51
Very nice mod DG, Just wondering,
Do NPC's and weapons work in this? If not my dreams are crushed. I remember Xara Mod had a lot of cool features and stuff but weapons and stuff like that failed.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th May 2011 04:29
Awesome show Dark Goblin. I don't know if you've ever posted your specs but I assume from the videos that they are awesome as well and if so, how does this run on a lesser system?

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 22:18
Hey DG, do the dynamic shadows work with segments and entities that have an alpha channel in their textures? (i.e., maintenence scifi gentry, model pack 3 fences)
light mod
Years of Service
User Offline
how could I get this great mod?
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2011 10:39
Quote: "how could I get this great mod?"

You cannot. It has not been released yet. You would know that if you had read the original post.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 13:04 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2011 13:08
So I'm going to answer some questions that came up in this thread.

Quote: "VaMpIr3
Do NPC's and weapons work in this? If not my dreams are crushed. I remember Xara Mod had a lot of cool features and stuff but weapons and stuff like that failed. "

That's the goal I have for the Mod. If I release the final version, I want everything to work just as if you are running vanilla FPSC (just with the new additions). Xara Mod basically was nothing else than a Mod taking my CorVus Mod Source Code and making some slight performance tweaks (by someone who downloaded the open-source source code--> what a sentence)^^

Quote: "xplosys
Awesome show Dark Goblin. I don't know if you've ever posted your specs but I assume from the videos that they are awesome as well and if so, how does this run on a lesser system?"

That's another aspect I want to talk about. As you all know, dynamic shadows in FPSC and especially in FPSC need a lot of power and performance. That said, it will need higher specs than normal FPSC. What I do with the mod is basically putting in a lot of quality settings and all that kind of stuff, so you can disable some features (like Ambient Occlusion etc) to get a higher framerate and even turn down the shadow quality for that. I also always try to use the latest "Advanced Lighting" version of Evolved, so you get the best performance possible. Count me on that. I want a lot of users to be able to work with the Mod. But I am no god and the cubemap command of DBP is a bit slow, so there will always be an performance impact. But with good level design you can outrun a lot of problems.

Quote: "Hamburger
Hey DG, do the dynamic shadows work with segments and entities that have an alpha channel in their textures?"

And another question that I waited for someone to ask
For dynamic entities this is easy to be done, as I haven't changed a lot of the code.
For segments and static entities this gets a bit more difficult (for me not for you ^^ ). Because the statics and segments are saved into a "universe.dbo" which I need to load manually, the whole connection to the Textures is gone. So I would need to put in a loading system like in CorVus Mod, which than could overload the memory and/or push the loading times up some more time. I will need to find a way around this and I am sure I will. But right now I don't have an idea for that. Maybe I can scan an array for the textures, don't know. But as time goes by, I will find a way for that too. I'm sure.

So if there is anything else you want to ask, just do it. I will answer your question as soon as I have the time to do so.
For the mod, the work on it is again slowed down, as I still have to do some "real life" work (... well something else than coding ^^ ). Will keep you informed of new updates (and probably with a new video again).

DG

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 14:25
Wow, that's amazing, when do you think it will be released??

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 14:47 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2011 14:50
Ok so far this mod looks amazing, possibly the best mod we've seen for FPSC but lets not get carried away with thoughts of Doom3 shadows in FPSC just yet and address some facts.

In previous mods you have tried to incorporate (with some success) a lot of excellent features but not been able to integrate them for something which could be considered a stable mod.

I would like to see you just complete the dynamic shadow system for now, ensure it works with the existing V118 features like bloom then release a stable build which the community can start working with before adding anything else.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this one because taking anything from a proof of concept or tech demo to a fully implemented feature is hard. Please limit the scope of this project to something which you can actually achieve as it has the potential to raise the bar for FPSC developers and games.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
@NomadSoul:
Just completing the dynamic shadow system sounds so easy ^^
Thats exactly what the whole Mod is about and this still needs work and also performance tweaks before we can even think about having a community release. After I get that working, you will get the "stable" version to work with and me adding more features. But there need to be some things in before you can even use it and this is what I'm working on right now.

Just don't expect me to rush this out in 2-3 weeks. Something like this needs more time.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 16:52
I agree with NomadSoul.
I remember seeing the CorVus Mod (which wasn't released, i think) and I though that maybe you rushed in too many features, you should focus on one feature until it is stable, then add a few more features.
I don't want to see people asking "when will this be out?!?!?" because it may make you rush and loose focus on stability and release it too early.
I will be happy to wait for the release and will be excited the whole way.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 23:00
Quote: "Just don't expect me to rush this out in 2-3 weeks. Something like this needs more time.

"

don't rush it, I'd rather wait a longer time for this mod to be released because then you will have more time to iron out the bugs in it. After all, haste makes waste my friend
light mod
Years of Service
User Offline
looks great!
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Well the thing is, I want everyone of you to try the Mod out as soon as possible and could release something right now.
But the thing is, that weapons and some other parts of FPSC still do not work and so this would be something someone would try out and say "Hey why is this not working?".

On the other side I want to see how everything is working for all of you.
But I'm now trying to get some performance tweaks in so that you can change parameters in an ini (don't know if I will use setup.ini --> will see).
With that you can change basically everythin. From shadow resolution over shadow quality based on light distance to even no dynamic shadows and just nice dynamic lights (so something like normal FPSC but with better looking lights).

If this is done, I might consider doing a first alpha release so you guys see that this Mod is real and working...

I'm also trying to let the Mod run on my Laptop which isn't the best, so I can try to tweak the settings so it runs well on lower spec systems. Still not the lowest spec, but something a normal gamer should have at home.

Will keep you updated about that.
And thanks for everyone going the long way with me, I'm still a single person working on that... this means a lot to me. Thanks a lot.

Dillionaire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 02:00
Well said, Dark Goblin, well said.

My Computer Specifications: Intel i7 980x OC @ 4.2 GHz |3x GTX 580's in SLI | 12 GB, 2000 MHz RAM (Corsair) |2x 1 TB HDD | 1.2 KW PSU |ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 05:17
I would be more than happy to test your mod when ready. I have two machine at opposite ends of the scale for testing purposes.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 13:54
I would love to test the mod, even if there are some bugs...

Dillionaire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 15:43
I third that. Alpha tester, right here. I'd be more than happy to help!

My Computer Specifications: Intel i7 980x OC @ 4.2 GHz |3x GTX 580's in SLI | 12 GB, 2000 MHz RAM (Corsair) |2x 1 TB HDD | 1.2 KW PSU |ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 17:40
I would also like to help test this in alpha / beta

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 22:21 Edited at: 4th Jun 2011 22:21
He nice that some are willing to test an alpha version.
For now this post is just to give you the latest information about the mod.

I finally managed to get Spot Lights in by adding some script commands.
You can change the fov (so basically how big the outer radius is) and the lights rotation. I maybe find a way to take the object rotation, but for now you can set all the 4 different values inside the script and the renderer switches the Light from Point to Spot.

This is a really really needed feature, as a spot light needs less performance than a Point Light. Basically I would say you can put in 6 Spot Lights and get the FPS you would get with just 1 Point Light. So when designing your game you better go with spots than points, but it's you who controls this, it's just a hint ^^.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 22:42
Directional lights? Awesome!
A possible feature I'd like to see is light masks, by that I mean the image the spot light would cast. Evolved has a shader for it.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 00:15
Wow, that sounds awsome. You have been talking about weapons not working. What is it that dosn't work, is it using a weapon or something else?

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 00:36 Edited at: 5th Jun 2011 02:05
Well the thing with the weapons is not that they don't work like you can still shoot and all that. The problem is that the gunobject (the one on the screen) has its ZDepth deactivated, so it does not get stuck into walls or any other object.

So the renderer for the dynamic shadows can not really work with it (don't know why at all) and I need to find a way, to exclude the weapon of the renderer, so they stop creating bugs in the dynamic shadow image (or try to find a way to get the shadows rendered on them correctly).
That's basically the whole problem. I'm sure I will find a way to get around it.

EDIT:
Just for you a quikc update about the Spot Lights

ZockerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 02:58 Edited at: 5th Jun 2011 03:02
I think its time for a new voice remix, like a remix about Gabe Newell, I think when I say "and ehm" everyone know, what I mean.
Hehe, kidding buddy, great video, great job, great mod, great...mmmh, okay, anyway.

Okay guys I'm done here, Cave Johns...eeeehhm, ZockerX

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 03:36
The news about the spot lights is really awesome, but during the video I noticed that the dynamic shadows don't cast on other dynamic objects, not a real show stopper or anything, but I noticed it when you stacked those two boxes on top of one another towards the end of the video. Do you plan to address this?

also I heard in the video that you were planning to implement the animating lights also? how would they move? with a waypoint?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 10:20
For evry vid you make this mod keeps getting better!

About the guns, can't you hide the gunobject when you render the shadows and then show it again just before you sync the scene?

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamburger:
No they are casting a shadow on other objects. Showed this several times...
The part with the moving/animated lights is not yet really planned. No idea for that.

@The Zoq2:
No I can't just hide it, I need to color it completly black without giving the renderer something it could render shadows with. Otherwise if I would just hide it, the gun would be transparent and you would see lights through it, not that good.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 11:55
Is the problem that the guns cast a shadow or is it that the weapon dosn't recive shadows

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
^^
Both exactly.
They still cast a shadow but on the other hand they don't receive shadows because they are completly crazy in the renderer (like havin blue or red color etc).

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 13:13
darkgoblin
this looks great....keep up the great work for lighting.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Well,
So you made spot lights and I have another idea.
You can add lights into any models so now think if you can add lights to any limb.
By adding lights to any limb we can put lights on some characters and see a very nice atmosphere.

It can be really great to see this.

I am PaYaM
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 14:31
Quote: "You can add lights into any models so now think if you can add lights to any limb.
By adding lights to any limb we can put lights on some characters and see a very nice atmosphere."

I was thinking about something like that - you know those lights on the aircraft carrier level on Crysis, and a few other games where the light hanging from the ceiling swings round in circles and the light changes direction with it? That'd be awesome.

This mod is really exciting.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 18:51
Keeps getting better and better. So much work you are putting into this. This mod will be another mile stone in FPSC reality.
Thanks for your hard work in advance.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 19:00
What recorder do you use? Great mod, by the way.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

Come on down to my site at Unleashed FPSCreators
loler
Years of Service
User Offline
i really enjoy the videos and all the new features you show in the videos
the mod keep getting better all the time (in the begining i though i cant get better )

its not a bug its a feature

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:20:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:20:54