Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / LRMod by DarkGoblin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 22:37 Edited at: 19th Jun 2011 23:03
Actually the flashlight of the Xploid Mod is more real but the flashlight of LRmod is cool for scary games.

Anyway I have a good idea about shaders which where not in any other mods I think.

The idea is materials:
For example you make some shaders and optimize it for different materials like iron,glass,etc with their simple normal_maps then if we choose for example the iron then it will looks more like iron.
I know this is not professional and it's not very nice if we don't use the right Normal_map for our models but it's better than not having any shader on models.
And even it will be faster because now you have 1 normal_map for each material then it'll be faster.
And if we want we can still use our normal_map and have a better result.
What I said is a very common thing in lots of game engines(I can't say the names here)and lots of 3D programs like 3Dmax which you can use a pre-made shader(Material)but you can still use yours with normal_map,Specular,etc.

Anyway I hope you can find the problem of low FPS but I think you can make a level and release the execute file of it so we can test it's speed on same level but different specs.

I don't wanna say to integrate this to any mod but as WAPS2 is very fast(Depends on the specs and size of the level)then by integrating this to WAPS2 we will see a better result of speed.
(And I tried WASP and it was 10-75% faster in my tests but it can be different on other tests)
I am not telling you to integrate and it wasn't even a suggestion.
It was a wish

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
The flashlight looks more real because it's just using a different texture for the spotlight. That can be changed easily by the user.

And the "material" thing has nothing to do with me creating them, that is something the user can do, if he understands hlsl coding.

For now I work on my other Mod, as I'm ill and don't want to struggle with finding aa bug which I haven't found in 3 hours.
But I promise I will continue as soon as I get any idea what the problem can be.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 10:09
Can users change the flashlight texture?

Mental Stability is over-rated!
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 10:17 Edited at: 20th Jun 2011 10:17
Quote: "The flashlight looks more real because it's just using a different texture for the spotlight. That can be changed easily by the user."

This first sentence of my post should answer your question

Shadowdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 19:10
Please release it soon! It's so epic!
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 21:46
@Dark Goblin
Where was that old mods open source? Also, where do you get the most up to date FPSC source? The one that I opened in DBPro seems good but I don't know if it's up to date...

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

Come on down to my site at Unleashed FPSCreators
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 21:06
@Dark Goblin

The 'other' mod is interesting and everything but I don't really get it. Are you saying this is an alternative mod in case LR Mod doesn't work out? Why not just put the awesome water, light rays and refraction into LR and concentrate on fixing the performance bug.

LR Mod is light years ahead of anything else. Also I don't really get the refraction shader. I thought it was supposed to make the scene behind the glass look different.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Xploid mod hasnt changed nothing only name... trust me, the dude isnt a coder... in fact he is like 'i coded it all by myself'

im like 'corvus mod rules righT?' and then he blocked me from msn!

yup, DG wins, Kill3r7 sucks, and DG does code all by himself, why the other one just switches names and thinks he acomplished a whole engine...

Lets get into serious stuf
--------------------------------------
What about the blue text?.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2011 01:05 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2011 01:06
Isn't Corvus/Xpliod/Xara/whatever mod's presence kind of disliked by the community? From what I know I thought that work on that was discontinued because some tgc model packs were pirated. I wouldn't really consider it competition then. Sucks though, seeing that the features were really awesome...

Quote: "yup, DG wins, Kill3r7 sucks, and DG does code all by himself, why the other one just switches names and thinks he acomplished a whole engine...
"

So does that mean that DG was really the author of the mod? Or was he responsible for the basis of the code?
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Corvus Mod was created by me which than became open source, as I stopped working on it.
The thing with the TGC Model Packs is done by Kill3r who than took the source and created Xara Mod (which new name is now Xploid Mod).

And Nomad the features will be LRMod when they are done. But you should consider that not everyone will be able to run LRMod and so they can not use any of the new features. So a seperate Mod which has everything except the dynamic shadow system of LRMod will be much better.

And right now I don't want to focus on the performance problem as I already said that I used a lot of time to search for it and haven't found anything. I need something else to do right now, as I can't think of any possible solution and it will not help anything to just look at the source for a couple of hours and doing nothing else. Don't you think the time is better used by really creating some new things which can later be also inside LRMod?

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2011 02:35 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2011 02:42
If there was one thing I love about xploid was the water. If I were to recommend one feature that you could put into FPSC when your mod is more stable and optimized is that water shader. It's beautiful.

**Edit**

I just saw the video above that. That water shader does look nice, but still, the other shader is absolutely gorgeous. So is the under water effect. Would love to see that in your mod. A suggestion if I may, maybe like you were saying about that second mod your making, how about a LRmod Lite edition. And a LRmod full edition? LRmod lite would have like, new water and maybe a smaller edition or two. And then users who want to use LRmod full would be with all the dynamic lights and stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know how you made the shadows but I thought you maybe are using the old shadow system functions together with your shadow system functions so a basic shadow is working but your functions are changing it by each frame so it looks dynamic,if it is like what I said then try removing old shadow system functions.

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
Dillionaire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 06:35
Mod's looking great DG!

Ya know, I've been wondering this for a long time, but I never asked. How you did you learn so much about coding with FPSC? Did you start learning DarkBasic years ago, which allows you to edit FPSC's engine? How did you come across DarkBasic, and when? I guess...I'm sort of asking for a small bio, as I'm somewhat interested in learning to mod FPSC.

I respect your perseverance in continuing to push this mod despite all the roadblocks you've met! If anything comes out of the mod, as least your English has improved! Haha

My Computer Specifications: Intel i7 980x OC @ 4.2 GHz |3x GTX 580's in SLI | 12 GB, 2000 MHz RAM (Corsair) |2x 1 TB HDD | 1.2 KW PSU |ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 15:50 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 15:56
@Have our guns:
The performance drop and all does not come from some mixed shadow functions, as I'm always using the latest Advanced Lighting to prevent big FPS drop downs. So this is not the case (would be easy to fix something like that, but I would never try to use old functions with newer ones).

@Dillionaire:
Thanks for the comment.
The thing about coding started with helping Nighthawk with efxMod in the old days In that time I knew basically nothing about DBP so I couldn't help that much.
Than more and more I started creating some stuff in DBP, trying out some basic things with shader (even if I never knew what they did and what an HLSL code is). Everything I did in that time was basically complete crap
Than I started writing an engine based on some post-processing shaders by Evolved (like LightRays and Bloom) but never got them working, as I had no idea how these shaders were working.
Than Advanced Lighting came out and I loved it that much, that I thought about writing a new engine using it. But as I had no Map Editor I soon stopped working on it (that's something I still can't do by myself).
Than I thought about how cool it would be, if FPSC would use the Advanced Lighting as a rendering engine and started working on CorVus Mod (which first was called efxMod 2009). With that my real first steps into modding FPSC were done and I finally started to understand some parts of it's source code. Before I just tryied to add water and bloom into FPSC, but it never worked that good. I also helped on Wizzmod and maybe some other Mods I forgot about.
After I came to the conclusion that CorVus Mod would not work the way I wanted, I stopped my work on it and released the source code (which perhaps was the worst decision I ever did).
After that I stopped thinking about modding FPSC (but still wanted to do something with it). I than started working on several projects with some friends, which I never finished.
Than came the time where FPSC 1.17 came out and all the graphical features. Than I thought "Why not try it again". I started working on the LightRay Mod which than became integrated into FPSC (and still isn't fixed.. shame on you guys, as I told you several times what is missing). Also I implemented Depth of Field (not the one which is now in FPSC), but it was not working with weapons so I stopped this too.
Than the whole thing with LRMod started as I really wanted (and still want) to get the dynamic shadows into FPSC. This time I thought about the whole thing in a different way than the way I started with CorVus. Also I got most of the HLSL coding knowledge through working on LRMod (I still can't create new shaders by myself so).
And than, with the performance problems in LRMod I started on another FPSC Mod, which would contain all the features that I also thought about in LRMod but without all the dynamic shadows and now also with the idea in mind, that the user should be able to use the effects without having to know a lot about shaders (that's why I also dropped the AlphaMask of the new water. It's still the same shader but not getting more transparent at the edges now).

And now I started writing that post and I could continue to write it again, like in an neverending story, but that would be too much.
I hope that's what you wanted to know, if not, just ask. I'm not as evil as some might think (... well only if I feel a little bit bad, but than I now try to not post anything anywhere ).

Shadowdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 16:18
Quite the wall of text ya got there DG.
Any progress of LR?
VaMpIr3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 09:53
Any updates on this mod? This mod is perfect for a horror project I am thinking up ideas for at the moment. :3

FPS-Craft | MineCraft in FPSC [url]forum.thegamecreators.comy/?m=forum_view&t=186057&b=25&p=0[/url]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 17:12
@DG

Any updates on the mod?
Have you been able to identify the performance bug yet?
Will we still see dynamic shadows in FPSC?

Shadowdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 17:44
Yeah, Is it dead?
I hope not.
This was amazing.
Dan121
Years of Service
User Offline
Really hope this mod is still in development?

Games before Dames
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 13:50 Edited at: 7th Jul 2011 13:50
Hey guys,
sorry for not writing since some time but I was busy with moving into another city because of my job. So I had not a lot of time going online (and was even without internet for some days).

So now is the time to answer your questions:

Is the Mod still in development?
- Yes it surely is. I will not give it up!

Is the performance bug fixed?
- Sadly I still have to give this a no. I had not much time left the last weeks and even had no time to work on the other features (which I showed you before). But as I find some time between work and getting everything arranged on my new flat, I will work on the Mod. I promise.

Will we see dynamic shadows in FPSC?
- Well, I hope so

Dan121
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to know its still in development
Hope you settel in well in you're new place DG

Games before Dames
Akanto10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 19:39
Good luck with the new city, and I really appreciate the commitment.

Thanks,
Akanto

| Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - Bit | AMD Athlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB | 6GB DDR3 RAM | 1TB HDD |
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 20:29
Good luck with your new job and city.

light mod
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you please make a pre-release for LR mod.
Thank you, Dark Goblin.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm...you could maybe add some more pressure to Darkgoblin?

he said he was working on it, im sure he isnt lying.

Lets get into serious stuf
--------------------------------------
What about the blue text?.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 01:03
I haven't forgotten about this. I've still got this thread on mailback.
Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 03:46
*Crossing Fingers* Plz be free! Plz be free!

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

www.fpschelp.webs.com
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah this is a great mod and I hope you fix the performance issues, I know how hard it is in fpsc to keep perfromance.

lets hope one of these mod get released soon.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free.
Bestorio
Years of Service
User Offline
When this comes out i will finally have the graphical things for what i need in my game

human eye can only see 20fps, where a bird can see 90.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 11:36 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2011 11:36
Hey I'm back with exactly 2 news. One is good and one rather bad.

The good one:
I found the damn performance bug.

The bad one:
It will be a hell of a work to get rid of it.

So I want to get a bit into detail, for all of you who want to know about it.
All the time since re-starting with LRMod I used another copy of the universe.dbo, which holds all the static entities and the segments, to cast shadows on them. This worked perfect but I completly ignored, that using another copy of this universe, the polygon count would double. That means that the performance problems we have in normal FPSC would now be doubled. That said you can already see that I cannot use this method anymore to cast shadows on the static environment.
So to achieve my goal of dynamic shadows in FPSC I need to completly rethink the whole system. I need to use the universe which is already loaded by FPSC, re-write all the shaders so I can render the things I need for the shadows and than sync all of them to the different cameras. At least the rendering system will not change, but it's a hell of a work to do on the shader side of things and of course the user needs to do this in the end, if he wants to use the mod.

So another thing that is really needed in the end is a really good documentation, so that you as a user can work with the mod and are able to at least add the needed render techniques to the shaders.
I would completly rewrite every available shader for you so that you have no more work to do, but as some are from Metro Theater and you need to buy it to be able to use them, I can not pack them into a package with the mod. Otherwise this would be illegal, which I doesn't want.

But now I am back to the mod and will try to get everything together and working again. Let's see how well this will work.

Just some numbers for you guys. Having the extra universe enabled with characters and a weapon I have 31FPS. Without it I see an 52FPS value at the top left corner. Good sign don't you think?

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 12:33
It's great that you've found the bug, a shame that it seems it'll be quite the complicated fix to make it all work again.

This is just a suggestion, but how about instead of altering all existing shaders, why not make a set of new ones that are entirely compatible with LRmod? I'm not suggesting coding them completely from scratch, but perhaps take some existing shaders and alter them to work with this mods features.

You'd have one shader for animated objects (characters and player weapons), two for entities (both static and dynamic) and one for segments. If they all had similar features (like diffuse, normal map, specularity, and perhaps even cube map reflections (if possible)) and were all based off of the same shader code, you'd have a unified style for all assets. And, of course, compatibility with the fancy dynamic shadows.

I hope my suggestion is understandable, my post might be a bit messy. I feel I need more coffee, the first cup didn't give me that magic kick, lol.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 16:04
Its essential you are able to continue work on this mod and fix the performance.

Bond1 has recently updated all of his shaders which support normal and specular maps to work with water and fog. Therefore I would recommend using these latest versions for compatibility with LR mod so everything will finally be unified as Roger says.

I think the only shader which isn't released for free is the dynamic entity shader which comes with Metro Theatre so that would have to be released seperately.

I'd be interested to know how the dynamic shadow system works. Is this a cube map type thing or is it more like the stencil shadow shader bond1 released in his Viral Outbreak pack?

Clearly, this is the most promising FPSC mod out there from a graphics perspective. It would actually provide a Doom3 specification engine in FPSC which would be insane. Its important to remember Doom3 developers were even told not to have more than 3 monsters in a scene at once because of the performance.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Nomad.
The updated shaders are already in for a while, so that's done already.
The thing with the dynamic entity shader is that I could also do this by me, so this would also not a problem.

The shadows are rendered through a dynamic cubemap and not like the one bond1 uses.

@Roger Wilco:
The idea with the "unified style" is good. That is really something I considered. But a good documentation so you are able to adjust other shaders will still be needed.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay...
now I'm really fed up with FPSC.
Not only that I know some coding things are the worst I#ve ever seen, now it does not even let my render everything I need with shaders. And why?
- Because of the crappy universe system/code which does pack everything into one big object without any access to anything related to it.
Everything I need to get my system working now is to render the world position onto the segments and static entities and let me see... FPSC is not able to do this. Everything I get is completly yellow segments instead of changing colors like it should be (yellow is just one part of what should be there).

So if this doesn't work out in any way (yes we have another bug right here) than this will probably the end of the whole mod. If anyone, really I mean anyone has any idea why the heck FPSC does not let me render the world position in a shader (which does work with dynamic objects so) than please tell me.

I'm at the end of my possibilities. The next thing I could do now is completly re-write the whole FPSC engine... which already sounds crazy and I don't want to do it.
I don't blame anyone, but the whole static universe system is complete crap.
Sure it was never developed to be able to handle all this stuff. But it could easily be done with DarkPhysics by now and than we could have access to every single object, every single limb. Yes even every little polygon in scene...

It's a shame that the mod maybe has to die now because it's not possible to render 1 technique of like 8 for the shadows to work and fix the performance bug.
It really breaks my heart to say that this might really be the end, if noone finds a workaround for this (maybe bond1 could help, I don't know).

This is really hard for me to say, as a lot of time of my life has gone into this mod. A lot of sleepless nights and even a lot more I don't want to mention now. But right now, I see no way to continue... the only way would be to find out, why I can't render the world position.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 01:33
D': I'm really sorry to hear that.

EGG HEAD OF DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 08:01 Edited at: 25th Jul 2011 08:02
Well, the only people I know of who might be able to help you get passed this, are Bond1 as you said, Lee (of course), and hockykid. see if you can get in contact with ony of those guys I'd really hate for this mod to die, it's probly the big thing that this engine needs to catch up with the big time engines (at least a baby step closer). Good luck in whatever adventure comes next! (hopefully finishing this mod )

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 14:20
That really sucks, DG. It would really be a shame for the mod to die when you've gotten this far with fixing the performance issues.
We're so close to having working dynamic shadows and lighting for FPSC, you're so close to making it work, making you a hero in my eyes (cause I'm a sucker for fancy real time effects ). But no, along comes a somewhat stupid issue and ruins all the fun.

Like Egg Head said, your best bet would probably be to contact bond1, Lee and/or hockeykid. If implementing DarkPhysics would help, then perhaps it's something the team could at least look into. That'd also mean better physics (hardware accelerated where possible too, if I understand it correctly) and it'd probably make the player movement less jerky and twitchy (try walking towards any static geometry in FPSC and you'll see what I mean.)

I hope you find some solution to the issue. I can only imagine the frustration over having spent so many hours on something only to have progress halted to a full stop over a seemingly stupid issue. I can't be of any help, unfortunately, but I wish you the best of luck.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my god if this mod is die so how long we gonna wait for dynamic shadows?.Althought you stop working with this mod you still my inspiration.Thanks for working hard in this mod.I hope you email Lee,hockeykid and bond 1.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 16:45 Edited at: 25th Jul 2011 16:50
I've taken a break from FPSC because I didn't plan to work on anything until this mod was released.

The engine has come a long way since V117 but maybe dynamic shadows is a step too far. I don't think anyone will complain at what FPSC delivers for the cost and ease of use but this feature would have really raised the bar and reduced build times significantly.

If it was possible deferred rendering would be a good model for FPSC as it gives dynamic shadows with very little performance overhead. If the technique DG is using cannot work maybe its possible to use something else.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 19:21
Quote: "So if this doesn't work out in any way (yes we have another bug right here) than this will probably the end of the whole mod. If anyone, really I mean anyone has any idea why the heck FPSC does not let me render the world position in a shader (which does work with dynamic objects so) than please tell me."

Quote: "...your best bet would probably be to contact bond1, Lee and/or hockeykid."

Without a doubt get into contact with them, they should be able to help you.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 19:39
Understandable buddy.

If it does fail hopefully we can learn something from it and there may be a possibility that what you have accomplished thus far with it could somehow improve the engine in future updates.

[img][/img]
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2011 10:34
@DarkGoblin i have tried to send you an email from the one on the forums here and it keeps jumping back can you possibly contact me on my email if you dont mind just got a couple questions ty

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
@GreenDixy:
now you can contact me, I had an e-mail entered which is not working anymore...

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 10:02
thanks sent the email

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
VaMpIr3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 01:47
So is this mod dead now?

-Andrew

FPS-Craft | MineCraft in FPSC [url]forum.thegamecreators.comy/?m=forum_view&t=186057&b=25&p=0[/url]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 00:03
If this mod is dead it will be a shame.

Still waiting to hear if this cube map rendering issue can be resolved.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Since I started my new job this monday, which mainly is about coding in C# (which I know nothing about) I need to focus on that for some time.

I, for now, don't have the time to write something in DBP as both languages are completly different and that would give me a lot of problems keeping what I get to know in C#.

If I get along with it a bit better, I will look at LRMod again.

EGG HEAD OF DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 21:13
If someone competent enough were to have the desire, would you let them take up the mod? This person wouldn't be me by the way, I'm just wondering.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 15:05 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 15:07
Sorry for the late reply to the questions, I'm very busy right now with my job and don't have the time to do other stuff that much.

So EGG HEAD OF DOOM:
Right now I don't want anyone to mess around with my source as it is not very well commented and in the past, I have seen what happens if you release your source. So for now that's a no.
I have seen that Nomad Soul has started a Mod by himself with the same goal, good to see there are others who try to achieve this.

This gives competition and probably a good solution in the end.
I would love to continue with LRMod but right now I have to learn 3 programming languages at one time (C++/C#/Java) and this 8hours a day. You can easily see that after that I don't want to work in DBP as it is completly different.
But some of you should now me by now and as LRMod is somehow my "baby" I can't stop thinking about it and if I get the time, I will continue with it. Maybe even with a complete re-code after rethinking the best way to achieve my/our goal.

While we all have to wait until I have some more time (hopefully in some weeks) I hope that Nomad gets along with his project and that we will than have 2 persons working on the same goal and maybe than, I'm willing to work together with him.
We will see.

I just wanted to give you some information about what's going on, as I've seen in Nomad's thread that some wanted to know what is going on with LRMod.

Bestorio
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank's for the info, hopefully you will continue this in near-future so we can all be complimenting your work

"Problem?" - Troll

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:48:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:48:02