Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] [Critical Mass] - RTS Community Aided Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats a major disappointment! If possible I'd love it if you could finish this last model. If you have any screens of what you have already done with it they'd be great

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thats a major disappointment! If possible I'd love it if you could finish this last model. If you have any screens of what you have already done with it they'd be great "

I could do it still but it'd just take longer.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 07:45 Edited at: 26th Jun 2011 18:21
Hey , I was bored (and getting tired of team symbols) so I made a nuclear powerplant model. I don't know if you want it. It's fine if not. Right now I am typing this from my iPhone so I can't post pics but tommorow I will (hopefully) have it textured and have screenies for you.no big deal of you don't need it or like it. I'll just sell it somewhere in that case.

screen shots on the way....

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 00:38 Edited at: 28th Jun 2011 00:41
I made a tesla coil. 655 polys if you don't count the lightning bolt or the stick man. And half those polys came from the ball on top.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 01:55 Edited at: 28th Jun 2011 01:56
Here's a radar. I'm not quite sure yet where to place the team color on the model. Oh, and it's 480 polys.

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 10:30 Edited at: 28th Jun 2011 10:31
Naval Port, though I think it's a little too simplistic for my taste but I'm drawing a blank on detail. I think it was about 170 polys.

Attachments

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@Deathead
No problem, Im breaking for a bit, but will be back on project work soon!

@xilith117
Bring on the screen shots! I'd love to see them!

@Phaelax
Nice! Are you donating these to the project?

Tesla Coil - cool, I'll probably remove the top ball then and add a few more pieces of detail to the tower, but otherwise nice model!

Radar - Nice how about some colour along the the rim of the dish and base of the platform?

Naval Docks - I think I may take out the naval docs from the technology tree as there is another building I'd like to place there for the defences instead.

@Everyone
I'll be breaking from this project for a week or two from school but hopefully I'll be able to work a day or two solid when I return.

A

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 02:34 Edited at: 29th Jun 2011 02:40
Feel free to use the models, I have them in .max format I can send whenever you want them so you can adjust/scale to what you need.

Oh, guess I should answer your questions:

1) What is your computers highest resolution?
1920x1200
2) Do you think teams should have one or two superweapons?
Only one superweapon
3) Do you think there should be a limit on the number of superweapons?
Yes, only one unique superweapon per team. How many times you use it should be unlimited, however, there is a waiting period while it recharges after each use. Red Alert had about 10-15min wait between nukes I think.

4) Are there any names you believe would be good for a game of this style?
Defcon 1

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 09:16 Edited at: 29th Jun 2011 09:18
Thanks for the question answers, I'll add them to my database.

Could you email me the models in '.x' format or '.obj' format if possible, I dont have anything which can open max files currently.

A

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2011 04:25
Sorry, I know this is late, but I had paid work to catch up on, plus no access to a computer for a while. I have the texture almost done, I would just like to know what other details you would like on the texture to finish it.

Attachments

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@Everyone
I've added two new screenshots of progress in the first thread! Here they are again, they are of the final version of the war factory in-game and of a new ore mine I have just begun to texture.

@Design Runner
Could you add some windows and more detail to it? Currently the model is looking very concrete-ish.

A

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Might I suggest something here...

When I have made demos in the past with other languages, one of the first things I have to write is the routine for video resolutions. You should write a routine to have it find out what all sizes the target computer is on can handle. If you don't, you could end up getting a crash when the "player / user" decides to change the resolution. Also too, I have personally seen Netbooks, which could handle my game, but could not handle the standard resolution of 1024x768. Instead it had to use 1280x900. It would crash every time if I took it off of that resolution and tried the standard. I could get it to 1024x600 though. So keep the ODD screens in mind when writing the routine. In other-words, have the routine make a list of all the resolutions when you first A.) either install if the first time and all of the acceptable resolutions are in an INI file, or B.) have it detected it when the user goes into the Video settings of your game and it will run the routine at that time. I personally run it during game time, but hey, that's me. lol
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone, keep up the great work. The more I look at what you guys have the less I think you will want my model.... sorry it is taking so long I am EXTREMELY busy haha. well here it is so far I don't remember the polycount but it is low. Its only half done being textured. If you don't like it I wont be heart broken.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
I was playing around today for about 30 minutes.. and this is what I got.. Sad I know. LMAO

"If you can sing that high, you must have been kicked in the crotch a little too hard."

Attachments

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Might I suggest something here..."

I'm planning on implementing that once I've gotten the core of the engine working. I've just finished health management and unit selection/hovering the mouse over a unit, and shortly, KNXRB (Robert Knox) should have a piece of code for path finding I will then implement. Once I've done this Im planning on working out unit attacking (obviously path finding is needed to get in range here), and then I will be moving onto resolutions ready for some form of downloadable demonstration.

Quote: "The more I look at what you guys have the less I think you will want my model.... sorry it is taking so long I am EXTREMELY busy haha."

No worries, I'm willing to accept all media!! We'll find a place for everything in the game I'm sure, even if it makes a guest appearance on one of the levels in the campaign (I have the story almost complete), I'll do my best to get your models involved!!

Quote: "I was playing around today for about 30 minutes.. and this is what I got.. Sad I know. LMAO"

Same as I said above really, I'll be open to collect anything anyone would like to offer!

@Everyone

I'm looking for anyone who can animate in blender. The animations currently are very simple and required for the attacking code (rotating a tank turret currently). If you would like to help here it would be greatly appreciated!!

A

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 03:10
Quote: "...should have a piece of code for path finding..."

Is this piece of code made specially for this game, or would this do the job well enough?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
The code being written is specifically for an RTS. It is using a special adaption of the gridded pathfinding algorithm as that works best for interaction with other units and buildings. It is also being written to be compatible with multi unit selection, so that suggested code wouldn't work quite the same for me

A

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 20:21 Edited at: 18th Jul 2011 20:28
Ok, I am mostly finished with the powerplant. Thanks to the texture its not quite as horrible as before (just close ) i still need to touch up some lines around the edges of the texture but i'll just say it's done 'cuz that will only take a minute or two to fix.

here is a veiw of the side with smoothing turned OFF for the reactor silo.

This is the same pic with smoothing turned ON.

The view from the top (no smooth)

...and last but not least the little building thing. (don't you love my technical terms?)

I am almost done with middle eastern groups symbol... i'm thinking a scorpion in a triangle.

keep up the good work everyone.

[edit: its 208 polys... higher than i wanted but still low...]

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
If you lower the polies on the cylinders then you could add more detail, also you could add some scenery around it.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
@deathead

yeah, I was thinking about doing that but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to have cylinders that don't look cylendrical.... We'll see what happens. Nice work by the way.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 00:44
Would it be possible for me to stop making the tech center and start to work on a unit or another building? The tech center just keeps bringing me issues, and it doesn't seem worth finishing at this point. Especially as a freebie. I love doing this, but it is aggravating me lol.

Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 01:43
Nice texture !!
Big project !

keep up the good work

I do what i do !!!
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 01:57 Edited at: 21st Jul 2011 02:02
@Everyone

I'm looking for a programmer I can work along side to develop this game. I've come up with a new idea as to how I can construct the engine, which would make it much more efficient! The only issue is that it requires the entire engine to be re-written... I'd like to see if someone could help convert my functions into code which would work with the new design of the engine, and then possibly continue to develop the engine. Who ever wants to do it just post then I'll pick someone to help who I'll email and we can begin work! The sooner you post the more chance you can have!

Anyone who is given the source code and media so that they can test their modified functions is not to redistribute it without my expressed permission, or to promote it as their own work.

@xilith117

Would it be possible for you to have a go at filling in that small seam which seems to be visible on your cylinder?

@Design Runner

That would be fine, pick a building or see if you can come up with an interesting unit. I'd advise posting about your unit before creating it as it may not fit with the style.

@Captain Ouais

Thanks!!

A

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 03:22 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 01:47
Yeah, I was already workng on it. The edges of a couple sections of the texture need to be cleaned up as I stated above. By the way, expect an email in a few days. I have a question.

[edit] Just to avoid the dreaded double post I will tack this onto my last post here:

I thought a scorpion would be a cool symbol for the middle eastern team and I seem to have been right. Here is a scaled down image of what I have (the background is just there because it is cool).

I am still working on the eagle for the U.S. I plan to make it awesome though.

I got bored working on the symbols so I threw together this title banner in a similar color-scheme and style as yours (scaled down, of course). I really dont care if you want it i just did it to keep myself occupied.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 02:54 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 02:56
@xilith117

I really like the scorpion! Do you think you could get it in some sort of encombaser? Like a triangle around it so that it could be used as a badge or team logo? Also, I like your first banner, looks very nice

Here's the sort of thing I was thinking of, obviously don't copy the boarder, but something similar if you could please.

@Everyone

I have been very busy for the past few days so unfortunately there haven't been many updates, although, and this is a biggy!!

I have just spend the last 7 or so hours solid working on path-finding, and the system is complete! The functions are entirely independent of masses of code so they can just be copied straight into the game and are already optimised for efficiency! Each path, on a 50x50 grid takes up to a maximum of 0.007 seconds to complete correctly.

In the game, I'd like to have some sort of restrictions to the place a unit can move, say within its sight range, just to make it more realistic (you wont know the best path from one side of the map to the other in the most effective way if you haven't scouted out the area!). This should all be coming through in a rather important update in a couple of days.

A

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 08:49 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 08:53
Ok, here is what I came up with... I looked at your picture up there once but I'm worried that it's too close. It still looks awesome though in my opinion.

variation 1:

variation 2: (I prefer this one)

It's your choice which we use (if any). I took the liberty of normal mapping it as well, just in case. haha.

[edit] I now see why normal maps are not saved as PNG files... it converted the most common color to alpha! That is something I must keep in mind for the future.

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 13:57
Looking good so far.
It would be nice to help out on it, but I think I shall wait until my games further on before joining a team.
I noticed that the logo you were thinking of is the logo of the Brotherhood of Nod, so would I be correct in assuming Command and Conquer is your influence for this rts?

1) What is your computers highest resolution?
Usually 1600x900... sometimes 1920x1080 when I have it plugged into the TV to play some games.

2) Do you think teams should have one or two superweapons?
I personally feel that superweapons end up ruining an rts, but to answer your question I have found that games which have only 1 superweapon per team are usually better than those with multiple ones.
Although if there is adequate balance between the power/price/delay/etc of the super weapon (and other units and weapons in the game) then multiple super weapons may work.

3) Do you think there should be a limit on the number of superweapons?
Basically same answer as above.

4) Are there any names you believe would be good for a game of this style?
Not really sure at this stage of development, my initial reaction would be something including the year it is set in.

I noticed 'critical mass' seems to be the chosen name now. Everytime I see that I keep thinking of the puzzle game a friend of mine has just released on Steam with that name. So to me the name doesnt fit as I keep on imagining his game, lol, but thats probably only me.

Tiger in a Bubble
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 17:59
So is this this pretty much tanks online but made with DBPro? If so, I can't wait for this!

Cheers/

God help me, Please.
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@xilith117

The second versions I think looks the best, could you cut out around that triangle shape to get a transparent background? That could then be the rebels sorted! Could you actually also create the same thing but with a light green colour? I'd like to keep red for the soviet forces.

@Brk_oth

Any help is very welcome. As you can see, we have a shortage of modellers for some of the more challenging tasks, so if you could model that would be great! I will have to step in and model a bit more, but that slows down engine development massively... This game is heavily inspired by the Red Alert and Tiberian series from Command and Conquer yes.

@2Beastmode4u

Its not quite the same as the Tanks game! Bit larger than that, its a real time action game, similar to something from the Age of Empires series or the Command and Conquer series.

A

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 21:25
This will be a great game! I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 18:07 Edited at: 30th Jul 2011 18:12
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could do a small public test. Attached is a small stripped down version of the game. It is purely there to debug the path finding system. Could anyone who has a mess about with it see if they could try to spot any trends in the bug described below. I'm also putting a code snippet up and would be appreciative if anyone could help out with the issue.

Bug 1;

The tank when rotating to an angle gets to the angle, and when it hits within 5 degrees either way of the target angle, it should stop rotating. Unfortunately, it seems to ignore the code at times and just jutters at this angle, and tries to rotate back and forth finding this point. I can not understand for the life of me what could begin to cause this, so if people can spot trends and report them, it would be of great help!

Bug 2;

The tank just rotates in a full circle... This means it does pass the designated angle and just ignores the code.

The code which detects if the angle passed has no other parameters. It is not nested in loops of other if-functions, and so the only way to trigger this code inside, which will stop rotations, is by meeting within 5 degrees of the designated angle.

Please only report trends with the above errors! There is alot of code removed in an attempt to isolate these, and as a result there are plenty of issues which will be fixed when the code is returned!

To move the tank right click in a new location.
To plant a building use the left mouse to select then place.

A

Attachments

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 19:52
Ok so I just tested it out and I placed a building in between the tank and the spot I was going to right-click. I right-click and while it is going around the building it gets to this corner and keeps turning forever and ever. Then I tried right-clicking somewhere else, while in the circular motion, and then the tank just kept looking back and forth.
The first time I ran the game it was just pure black... no idea what that was about.

Those are the bugs that I found.

The only other thing was that a building wasn't textured.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Building wasnt textured because the texture paths arent sub paths, but full paths. Its pure black cause it takes a bit to start up. Other than that, those are the two bugs im looking for...

How exactly did you cause it? If a relationship can be found then thats a start towards solving the issue!

A

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 22:09
Quote: "How exactly did you cause it?"

Quote: "I placed a building in between the tank and the spot I was going to right-click. I right-click and while it is going around the building it gets to this corner and keeps turning forever and ever. "

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 01:11 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 16:03
Which corner was is and in which direction was the tank travelling? Also which direction was it turning (may purely be a bug with one direction)? I'll back working on the case tomorrow, but I'm pretty tired and aggravated with it today.

EDIT

Would you be able to post a screen?

EDIT 2

I've fixed the angle jitter bug. I cant seem to find any reason for the circle bug, although I can put in code to abort the path if that bug is to be found. Its not really a fix, just a temporary measure till I find the actual cause.

I have just posted a new video of finalised path finding. I figured out all problems and now I'll be ready to continue copying across features to this newer version of Critical Mass. I'll also add a few new features as I go along!

A

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Could a moderator please lock this thread because I am currently doing some work for ASDA House and I have no free time to work on this project. I'll email which ever moderator is able to unlock this thread afterwards,

Thanks

James

A

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:11:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:11:25